77%

(282 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Justin-Bieber-Dyed-Hair (resized).jpg
50stb005 (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 2.09.36 PM (resized).png
Screen Shot 2017-07-14 at 2.09.45 PM (resized).png

There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
#101 6 years ago

Now with Alien’s finally shipping and arriving in people’s homes, what do people think? I’m now stronger for my preference for Alien.

#102 6 years ago

I hope I can check yours out one day!

#103 6 years ago

Dialed In by 1 million miles.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Now with Alien’s finally shipping and arriving in people’s homes, what do people think? I’m now stronger for my preference for Alien.

I think 20 Alien pins finally shipping to Cointaker wonderful - bravo! Dialed In wins by the widest of margins.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Wait until the containers start flowing.

Obviously the theme BLOWS AWAY the cell phone game

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Only to old farts like you. ...... its a shame your so obsessed with the phone in the game bc its a dam fun pin with so much more to it . The newest code just makes it that much better. Lots of love for this title now and its the most popular at the last few shows ive attended. Alien cld only dream to play as well ....

#107 6 years ago

Is this really a debate....Alien is a fun game, but at this stage essentially a pipe dream....DI not only is a better pin its actually made a company that developed great code, and actually has support....

#108 6 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Only to old farts like you. ...... its a shame your so obsessed with the phone in the game bc its a dam fun pin with so much more to it . The newest code just makes it that much better. Lots of love for this title now and its the most popular at the last few shows ive attended. Alien cld only dream to play as well ....

It's never gonna sell to the masses BigD.

Our POTC is already blowing it away.

I get that a few hundred love it but it will simply never even come close to POTC sales merely because of the theme for starters.

And the iconic theme of Alien trumps a DI theme, and yes i haven't played either

#109 6 years ago

Why couldn’t Jack have gotten the Alien license? It would have been a better game and actually shipped.

#110 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Haha.... One more container of 21 and what’s left of orders are probably filled The cell phone game BLOWS AWAY the gameplay, tech, fun, reliability, support, code, depth, flow and stigma of the Alien game.

#111 6 years ago

As someone who owns DI and picking up Alien Friday - I'm torn. I can also tell you that I've played Alien and DI at the same bar (Alien wasn't even working 100%) and I preferred Alien. There is something REALLY special about that game. DI is an incredible game too that owning it has only proven how wrong I was about it being a cell phone game - it's so not. Silly when I hear people say that but they def haven't played it (like when I said it - I didn't play it myself).

Bottom line - I don't think you can go wrong with either but if you have any interest in the alien series and theme, I would go alien.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I get that a few hundred love it but it will simply never even come close to POTC sales merely because of the theme for starters.
And the iconic theme of Alien trumps a DI theme, and yes i haven't played either

Its really not a close debate nor a fair fight...DI is in an entirely different league...and as u probably know its not a cell phone theme

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Its really not a close debate nor a fair fight...DI is in an entirely different league...and as u probably know its not a cell phone theme

You are right. It's a "no brainer". Not even close.

#114 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Potc isnt even close to shipping? Sorry to say but refundable preorders mean very little in this hobby especially on a 9-13k pin. A few new releases will b out before potc starts shipping and if they are decent many will cancel potc and go with a stern which is much less expensive and less wait. I have a deposit down and im still not sure bc its expensive and still needs lots of work imo. Once the next new release is out the hype train will move to that especially if its gotg or something else that hasn't been done. I for one love original themes.

#115 6 years ago

Alien eats Dialed In's for breakfast.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Lunch and dinner too.

#117 6 years ago

Give it 6 months .... maybe 100 Aliens make it stateside, half of them don’t work, investors loose interest & sell to Dutch, manufacturing moves to China, replacement Zeno heads and monitor instructions are in Chinese, backwards and have lead paint, .. Jaap then fires his contract manufacturer and strikes a deal with Mike at homepin to be his new contract manufacturer, Mike agrees but redesignes every part of Alien which takes 3 more years.... Meanwhile the Alien faithful sing the themes praises....

#118 6 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Meanwhile the Alien faithful sing the themes praises....

I think Dialed In is a fine game with nice gameplay and good code but I just couldn't get into it because of the lame theme, whats wrong with that? we aren't discussing whether or not Alien will be produced in mass or how long it will be around, as it stands I will get much more enjoyment out of Alien than Dialed In, is the mostly due to to theme? you bet ur ass it is. I'm loving SW's right now, just having a blast but that same layout and code style with lets say the theme of Harry Potter and the magic would be lost for me, theme is extremely important to the overall experience.

#119 6 years ago

It looks like Alien is getting some momentum and is in a bette replace than it was a couple of months ago.

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Well, that assumes that the Xenomorph mech is working.

Alien looks cool but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one until production machines have been being made for 6 months. Same goes for any new machine to avoid hardware issues.

#121 6 years ago

Wow off topic but Panzer - would you say the same for JJPOTC to wait a while before ordering to get the bugs worked out? I really want to pre order one but now you have me thinking....

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Wow off topic but Panzer - would you say the same for JJPOTC to wait a while before ordering to get the bugs worked out? I really want to pre order one but now you have me thinking....

I wouldn't hold off on getting POTC for that. As an owner of RR an DI, the customer service for JJP is UNBELIEVABLE. Yes all caps needed b/c I call and talk to Frank (real person who is not in India and provides great feedback and help) and the problem solved. Can't speak more highly of JJP service and dedication to get things right.

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Well, that assumes that the Xenomorph mech is working.
Alien looks cool but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one until production machines have been being made for 6 months. Same goes for any new machine to avoid hardware issues.

No its eats it regardless but I agree, this is a grail title for me and I'll be waiting till this time next year before I actually buy one. Sticking to Stern pro's, that as high as I'm willing to go with the exception of dream themes and thats unlikely considering my tastes, JJP makes a fine product but at 10K it would have be Predator, Star Trek OG, Robocop something like that, very happy there is the Stern Pro option.

#124 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

Yes I would. Pretty much every new game release goes through some minor hardware changes. For WOZ it was the light boards and at least 1 part on the monkey mech changed.

For The Hobbit a fix kit was sent out for ramp flaps, beast mech inserts and a post to prevent balls from falling off the far left rail (which was redesigned for later models).

For Dialed In original games didn't ship with the Cliffy protectors. I'm not sure what else changed but I would guess at least a few other minor things did.

With Ghostbusters there was the shorting issue at the left scoop that was corrected, at least 1 node board was updated, and the Slimer mech was updated.

Both JJP and Stern do fix these issues for early adopters but at these crazy prices I no longer want to deal with applying hardware fixes on something that costs $7k-$10k. I used to want a new game right away but not anymore. Now I'll wait 6 months for the bugs to be worked out. That's my new personal rule for NIB purchases to avoid future headaches.

#125 6 years ago
Quoted from Vdrums:

The difference, and its a big one...is that JJP has a track record of delivering high quality games with code that is almost complete day 1....Alien at this stage still appears to be a pipe dream....yes the theme is great, but that has no barring if a company can't deliver let alone support the games they do deliver....anyone purchasing this game at this stage is taking a big risk...

#126 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Alien is a terrible game designed by amateurs that breaks all the time and will soon be a footnote in pinball history along with the manufacturer which will likely be tits up soon. It looks and plays like something that might impress you if your neighbor built it in his garage. If you order one you'll be incredibly lucky to even receive it.

Dialed in is a fantastic game - maybe the best one built in decades - from one of only two proven pinball manufacturers on the planet, and if you buy it you'll actually receive it.

So yeah, I think you should probably send off $8000 for that awesome Alien, I think it'll end well for you.

Honestly, sending off money right now to the likes of DP or Heigjway should make buyers eligible for the pinball Darwin Awards. When it goes South sympathy is going to be in very short supply around here.

#127 6 years ago

I guess coming from the olden days when theme wasn't really the most important part, I don't understand how someone could say "it plays great but the theme turns me off."

It's like you don't even play pinball, you just want to knock a ball around to hear movie quotes.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I don't understand how someone could say "it plays great but the theme turns me off."

I do, I can't understand the opposite. Theme matters so much especially in the home environment, on route I'll play DI, WOZ, GB's, TSSP and get some pleasure but never feel really connected, that's where theme comes into it, at least for me.

#129 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

but never feel really connected, that's where theme comes into it, at least for me.

Fair enough. I have a Demo Man, which is a gruel-thin theme at best and they did their best but ultimately it suffers for it - but it is such a fun game to play I could not care less about it. It could be a My Little Pony theme or something and it wouldn't matter because of those butter-smooth ramps.

I like playing pinball, not a theme.

#130 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

I like playing pinball, not a theme.

I like listening to music but

Justin-Bieber-Dyed-Hair (resized).jpgJustin-Bieber-Dyed-Hair (resized).jpg

#131 6 years ago

If he ever made a song I really liked I'd totally download it. So, not getting your point.

#132 6 years ago

Isn't it time to retire Bieber anyway? Hes been the go to bad music punching bag for like 8 years! There's gotta be someone new by now right?

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Alien is a terrible game designed by amateurs that breaks all the time and will soon be a footnote in pinball history along with the manufacturer which will likely be tits up soon. It looks and plays like something that might impress you if your neighbor built it in his garage. If you order one you'll be incredibly lucky to even receive it.
Dialed in is a fantastic game - maybe the best one built in decades - from one of only two proven pinball manufacturers on the planet, and if you buy it you'll actually receive it.
So yeah, I think you should probably send off $8000 for that awesome Alien, I think it'll end well for you.
Honestly, sending off money right now to the likes of DP or Heigjway should make buyers eligible for the pinball Darwin Awards. When it goes South sympathy is going to be in very short supply around here.

Wow. Is this a sarcastic post? Looked at your name so thought I would ask. If not wtf?

I own DI. I prefer alien.

I understand HW has been in the red and has issues in the past. Remind me how did JJP look during WoZ? Alien a terrible game? I'm sure you've played enough to know. Again such ridiculous statements.

Oh and when I have my alien in the back seat tomorrow I can send you a picture so you know what you get when you give HW money for a pin.

#134 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Wow. Is this a sarcastic post? Looked at your name so thought I would ask. If not wtf?

Alien a terrible game? I'm sure you've played enough to know. Again such ridiculous statements.

WTF is peopel have diff'rent ideas on which game is good or not. Just becasue you love the theme, judging by your avatar, doesn't mean everyone feels like you do.
It's also a ridiculous statement assuming that other people haven't played it enough.

#135 6 years ago

We will have both games side by side at the European Pinball Championship in Boras, Sweden this week end. I had the privilege to play both games in succession for a couple of hours.

In terms of theme... Alien of course. The video clips are well integrated. The bumpers are really cool. The Xenomorph is a really nice toy.

In terms of shot map... it's not even close; DI has one of the best layouts ever designed - really.

DI has flow, Alien has flaws. Some of them can be addressed (very poor lighting of the lower area; a few bugs; Alien's lower right flipper was a bit weak, game is much slower than Full throttle, etc...), some won't be easy - feeding the upper flipper for example.

You really have to play both games before deciding. As a player, my choice would be DI without hesitation.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

WTF is peopel have diff'rent ideas on which game is good or not. Just becasue you love the theme, judging by your avatar, doesn't mean everyone feels like you do.
It's also a ridiculous statement assuming that other people haven't played it enough.

People can have whatever thoughts they want. He is saying the game is terrible and why would anyone disagree or question. Guess what. I just did.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from jwilson:

If he ever made a song I really liked I'd totally download it. So, not getting your point.

That ends this debate.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Guess what. I just did.

Wow...should I be impressed or something?

#139 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Wow...should I be impressed or something?

Yes you should!!

No I'm just explaining my reaction. That was hardly a opinion post. Complete smear job on a game that is basically not even out and then coming off like that the right answer. Well I disagree. He can continue having that opinion but wanted to ensure the other view point is heard

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Isn't it time to retire Bieber anyway? Hes been the go to bad music punching bag for like 8 years! There's gotta be someone new by now right?

If there's someone new and worse I don't want to know, Bieber is going anywhere so make ur peace with that.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Complete smear job on a game that is basically not even out and then coming off like that the right answer.

Well Alien lovers in this thread sure are going a long way explaining how a game that "basically is not even out yet" is better than one that is.

Quoted from Hazoff:

If there's someone new and worse I don't want to know, Bieber is going anywhere so make ur peace with that.

This Canadian self shaming is sad to see...just embrace him man. LET HIM IN!

#142 6 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Now with Alien’s finally shipping and arriving in people’s homes, what do people think?

Man I know people get excited at these times, but you've got to use your head. Just because 20 pins have finally managed to reach the states doesn't mean HP is out of the woods now. Far far from it.

Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from mountaingamer:

Give it 6 months .... maybe 100 Aliens make it stateside, half of them don’t work....

Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Alien looks cool but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying one until production machines have been being made for 6 months.

Quoted from PtownPin:

yes the theme is great, but that has no barring if a company can't deliver let alone support the games they do deliver....anyone purchasing this game at this stage is taking a big risk...

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't let your excitement for a game blind your judgement. Andrew sure pulled the wool over my eyes for a long time, and I don't want to see anyone get blinded again. There are hundreds of comments like these that are valid & can't be ignored.

I love the theme & I was in for a long time until I got out. But here's no way I would place an order right now. Not until HP proves they are a credible manufacturer who produces a reliable product, and provides quality customer support. Give them time to prove themselves, or you could still end up getting burned in the long run.

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

This Canadian self shaming is sad to see...just embrace him man. LET HIM IN!

I can't I just can't, you don't know how bad it can get with the hockey and all that.

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Well Alien lovers in this thread sure are going a long way explaining how a game that "basically is not even out yet" is better than one that is.

Well I can just judge from what I actually played myself (I played both at a bar in Buffalo and preferred Alien). That being said I went out and bought DI too bc it's amazing too. We're talking about two great games. IMO they are both right up there but only time will tell. HP is also not out of the woods by any means but I love the comments about throwing your money away considering JJP used to be in almost the same boat and look at them now.

Bottom line if someone is making a great pin, I'm there to support them. hence my money going towards DI AND Alien!

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

Well I can just judge from what I actually played myself (I played both at a bar in Buffalo and preferred Alien). That being said I went out and bought DI too bc it's amazing too. We're talking about two great games. IMO they are both right up there but only time will tell. HP is also not out of the woods by any means but I love the comments about throwing your money away considering JJP used to be in almost the same boat and look at them now.
Bottom line if someone is making a great pin, I'm there to support them. hence my money going towards DI AND Alien!

Not sure how you can compare HP to JJP....as a person who as started and sold many companies I know the challenges. JJP struggled, but never had the issues HP has...HP is running on fumes...maybe they'll make, but its very unlikely unless they have a lot of patient capital....

#146 6 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I can't I just can't, you don't know how bad it can get with the hockey and all that.

A Canadian living in Toronto who doesn't watch the Leafs? Now I've heard everything! Next you'll be telling us you don't like Tim Horton's or the Canadian Ballet either. Madness I tell you!

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

Not sure how you can compare HP to JJP....as a person who as started and sold many companies I know the challenges. JJP struggled, but never had the issues HP has...HP is running on fumes...maybe they'll make, but its very unlikely unless they have a lot of patient capital....

I could be wrong but I thought JJP ran out of cash and had to be bailed out? I just remember the WOZ years being bad.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

A Canadian living in Toronto who doesn't watch the Leafs? Now I've heard everything! Next you'll be telling us you don't like Tim Horton's or the Canadian Ballet either. Madness I tell you!

I make my own coffee so Tim Hortons is a rarity, hate the leafs and can't stand the hockey season, go leafs go? yes please go away. I do however love the Ballet so 1 out of 3 ain't bad.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I can not say this for sure but second hand know that an owner of Full Throttle said the game breaks all the time and basically unfixable so its a colossal waste of money and wasn't a great playing game in the first place. So I would surely go with JJP DI just because of how shaky Heighway is right now.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

You got to figure he likes Canadian bacon though, he is human after all.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Salinas, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
FlipMods
Flipper parts
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
7,275 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Olanta, PA
$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods
Interactive
9,999 (OBO)
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 100.00
Electronics
Led Pinball
Electronics
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 100.00
Boards
Led Pinball
Boards
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
10,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Erie, CO
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 166 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-or-dialed-in/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.