• 134 posts
  • 86 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Star_Gazer
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

• Alien Heighway Pinball, 2017

Topic Gallery

There have been 15 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_4483_1.jpg
ALIEN.jpg
Word.jpg
mIEXGvvL_sIOIDGfSdv75qw.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Alien_Pinball_Standard_Edition_Cabinet_With_Final_Artwork.jpg
Alien_Pinball_Backglass_Standard_Edition_Final_Low_Res.jpg
alien-le-trans-lol.jpg
alien-le-trans-lol.jpg
image.jpeg
image_3.jpeg
image_2.jpeg
image_1.jpeg
image.jpeg

There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago

I really like the back glass. Yes the main focus is the egg but tons of detail on the sides so a lot to take in and it's evident there was a lot of care and thought put in. If you really want to see an alien...look at the side art.

#52 4 years ago

It looks good but I am worried that it will look like crap in the southern hemisphere becasue of the coriolis effect. Ship one to me and I will test it out for you so you can make sure it is OK!

#53 4 years ago

This version should actually be a bit more up to date, though it's mostly subtle stuff that's changed from the version Andrew posted. Best I have from my phone, it's 2am here at Expo and it's what I have.

Be happy later to talk more about the backglass and the process etc, but I'll wait until it's not late at night and I have a better keyboard than my phone. Besides, either you like it you don't, I don't want to try and convince anyone.

I will say though that it's worth clicking to enlarge so you can see the details, like the facehuggers etc.

I welcome comments, critical or positive or anything else though. It's healthy. I do it to other games, happy to have turnabout be fair play.

Also, expect that the LE backglass will be different than this one. That will come later though.

image.jpeg

#54 4 years ago

^^^^^
looks awesome. Well done!

#55 4 years ago

Finally we can show you something!

Working to strict licencing rules and regulations doesn't allow for as much creative freedom as I'm used to. I had originally designed 4 translites and Fox went for this one. They seem to like that egg! Aurich then took my basic design and made it look more appealing.

It does look impressive all lit up!

#56 4 years ago

Looks good to me. What did people want? With the hype train for this machine there is nothing they could have possibly done to satisfy people.

I think it fits the theme quite well.

#57 4 years ago

Looks great!

#58 4 years ago

No offense but it doesnt scream pinball. Cool wall poster yes. It has no action/movement.

Alien(s) is more than the eggs and aliens, where is the technology, weapons, vehicles etc

Why are there skulls? I cant recall skulls featuring in any alien movie.

#59 4 years ago

Please elaborate on the previously unknown option of a screen instead of a back glass. How will this impact the LE? Visuals are superior to description. If a rendering is not possible at this point, what information will be available to LE buyers to evaluate, so that that we can make a truly informed choice?

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Why are there skulls? I cant recall skulls featuring in any alien movie.

Skulls? You mean the other little eggs? I think those are eggs not skulls...

#61 4 years ago

Skulls evident, parallel with bottom of "A" and "N" on margins.

#62 4 years ago

Looks great!!!!

#63 4 years ago
Quoted from bane:

Skulls evident, parallel with bottom of "A" and "N" on margins.

Oh yes... I see those skulls but I do believe there were skulls in some if not all the movies...image.jpeg

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Finally we can show you something!
Working to strict licencing rules and regulations doesn't allow for as much creative freedom as I'm used to. I had originally designed 4 translites and Fox went for this one. They seem to like that egg! Aurich then took my basic design and made it look more appealing.
It does look impressive all lit up!

It's good Fox didn't insist on a gigantic Fox logo as AMC did with the Walking Dead

#65 4 years ago

I like it! Nice job aurich!

#66 4 years ago

No human skulls in the movies...

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Sticky:

What did people want?

i agree it looks good. But for me, I would prefer a big nasty xenomorph with ooze dripping off its teeth. An egg as the main focus is not what i was hoping for.

#68 4 years ago

Looks awesome!!!....I too, will be interested in seeing the difference between large led panel vs translite....

#69 4 years ago

Its badass... It will convey the theme from across the room, but just like cool playfield art the closer you look the more you see.

#70 4 years ago

I saw this back at the UKPP but it's good to have a closer view.

I generally like it, but there is a lot going on... I would say:

- giant egg vs. small eggs. I would either have one or the other, both doesn't look good due to scaling. If the eggs were behind the big egg then ok, but to have the little egg in front of the big egg makes it look like a mega sized egg
- stars/planets?/starburst stars are over done, less is definitety more. In both movies they make space feel big and empty not cluttered
- skull gate... I also don't get this, I saw them and thought of Terminator (human skulls getting crushed) not Alien. One impregnated human face really well hidden would have been cool
- why is it all so symmetrical? needs more randomness to that edging

I'm in for an LE so looking forward to seeing that.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

This version should actually be a bit more up to date, though it's mostly subtle stuff that's changed from the version Andrew posted. Best I have from my phone, it's 2am here at Expo and it's what I have.
Be happy later to talk more about the backglass and the process etc, but I'll wait until it's not late at night and I have a better keyboard than my phone. Besides, either you like it you don't, I don't want to try and convince anyone.
I will say though that it's worth clicking to enlarge so you can see the details, like the facehuggers etc.
I welcome comments, critical or positive or anything else though. It's healthy. I do it to other games, happy to have turnabout be fair play.
Also, expect that the LE backglass will be different than this one. That will come later though.
image.jpeg

Don't touch a thing......It's perfect! This is no GOT Translite! People say we bitch about everything......Bullshit! We bitch because the current art direction in pinball sucks! This is awesome and it's becoming more and more obvious that we need more young talent in this industry. Well done Aurich!

#72 4 years ago

The hi res version looks awesome - great job Aurich! I love the detail in the border. Can't wait to see what you come up with on the LE package too.

#73 4 years ago

It is VERY NICE. The part to we are not seeing and Aurich mentioned is how the stars will light up. Gonna look AMAZING in a dark game room.

#74 4 years ago

Still the huge frame around the glass, I don't like that ;(
Translite is nice, I was on preorder for LE but did cancel .... he should stay next to my paid Predator Let's see what happen in future, the whitewood play vid is showing an excellent flow

#75 4 years ago

Im digging the backglass.

#76 4 years ago

I like the art. Looks good Aurich!

#77 4 years ago

The hi-res version definitely helps.

I would definitely propose, in the future, for expo talks or anywhere there is news breaking, that a simultaneous information dump is prepared and released online. There are many more people on Pinside than were sitting in that room at expo. When you think of the thousands of dollars spent to travel to expo, bring machines, etc, but the bigger audience is sitting right here, and we start dissecting the info we get which was cell phone photos.

What I would suggest is Heighway has a staffer start posting stuff while the talk is going on, so it is breaking online at the same time and we are getting hi-res versions of everything.

Hell, look at what a big splash my Full Throttle thread made when my machine landed. Putting all this effort into a hotel seminar, and not giving the same attention to the biggest collection of pinball collectors online is outdated thinking.

#78 4 years ago

I think the artwork is perfect and will really look great with the glow of green accent lighting. I appreciate that the art is more subtle and suspenseful rather than an action collage. Reminds me more of the first Alien film which is my favorite.

Between the art, theme, and layout this looks like it could be a killer pin! Only big question mark for me is the ruleset. Anyone know who is doing the rules? Is it the same person that's doing Full Throttle? How are the rules on that game? I've never played one.

#79 4 years ago

Awesome! My son and I are very excited for this game.

#80 4 years ago

I like it. More understated than we're used to, but has a brooding/ suspenseful/ impending doom feel to it.....just like the movies. Going to stand out in a collection because of it's darkness and simplicity.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

image.jpeg

So is that the standard version?

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So is that the standard version or the LE?

The egg backglass is the standard. LE artwork is not done yet.

I think the LE artwork package will have different side panels too in addition to the different backglass.

#83 4 years ago

Not what I was expecting but I think it looks nice. Simple at first but lots of hidden details.

#84 4 years ago

Hi-res looks much better. I would love to see it in a dark room. I believe the reason the egg only was depicted on the original posted was to keep the alien a mystery, to add the the suspense factor, of the original movie. This sets the standard up as more geared towards the original movie. I wonder if the LE art will be more geared towards the 2nd movie?

#85 4 years ago

Looks great. I like that it looks like official Alien art from the movie poster etc.

compared to got face art this way cooler.

#86 4 years ago

Not bad, I do agree one Giant egg with lots of little eggs in the foreground is not the correct perspective. (like the GOT LE with the tiny men in the foreground of the picture looks not great). I am hoping the LE has a better look with the actual alien on the trans light.

Aren't we supposed to see the LE soon?

#87 4 years ago

I would have preferred a big alien but then I guess it would look like Space Invaders.

#88 4 years ago

I think the art is fine. I don't like the side art. Not because of the quality but the way highway chose to implement it. It's a small portion of the side. Most of the side is black wood. Not that side art is terribly important but this would be a machine I would put between other machines if I purchased it.

#89 4 years ago

The cabinet is very bland. Hoping that isn't close to final. Doesn't incorporate anything from Aliens, which supposedly the game is half based on?

#90 4 years ago

I think you did a really fantastic job Aurich! I can certainly see where Fox would want the egg featured prominently since the poster and font were such recognizable marketing elements of the original film.

Since I have no idea what it's like to do design work for a major client/brand such as this, I am curious about how restrictive they were in terms of featuring other scenes/shots/characters from the film? If you included some of that, would you be relegated to the standard, studio-approved stills or press photos from the film to where they would just look like a Photoshop collage? Or would they allow more artistic license like being able to incorporate some of those elements into the texture and style of background? With the border looking like a beautiful Giger relief, I could see where adding subtly blended depictions of some of the characters, spacesuits, ships etc. could have worked well without taking too much attention away from that iconic egg. Or would it have been possible to do some sort of subtle watermarking of those elements in some areas?

Please don't think I'm being critical or nitpicking, I am just fascinated to hear about what it's been like to work on this! I also can't wait to see how the LE artwork turns out and if it'll be Aliens inspired in mostly blue coloration!

Well done sir! You've done some beautiful work here!

#91 4 years ago

The backbox looks like an old 4:3 aspect ratio iMac.

The art itself is great, but the concept of the cab is terrible.

#92 4 years ago

Killer theme, so much potential, l'm hoping the playfield has awesome art and not photoshopped pictures of a bunch of aliens. Do it right and it will be a great pin!

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from Taygeta:

The cabinet is very bland. Hoping that isn't close to final. Doesn't incorporate anything from Aliens, which supposedly the game is half based on?

It only looks bland due to the restriction of the heighway cabinet model. Have you seen the movie posters for Alien and Aliens? All Aliens has is text, and it seems to work plenty well enough for a mysterious space film (the first film largely works on leaving a lot to the imagination). Given the cabinet restriction, I think the art is perfect as is.

#94 4 years ago

Awesome .Can't wait for production to start.Good job Andrew !

#95 4 years ago
Quoted from someoneelse:

The backbox looks like an old 4:3 aspect ratio iMac.
The art itself is great, but the concept of the cab is terrible.

I do not like the cab either this is the reason https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-long-does-it-take-to-swap-a-heighway-pinball-game

#96 4 years ago

Looks great and fits the theme. Makes me glad the LE buyers can get the standard art too. Well done, sir.

#97 4 years ago

I think it looks great. Pinball art has come along way. If this came out with movie it would have sigorney weaver with cleavage fighting the alien

#98 4 years ago

Unlike most busy translites, this one jumps out at you with the green/black contrast and I think is integrated perfectly with the theme, space, etc.

Great job Aurich! Excellent immersion feel, whatever that means.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from chessiv:

I think the art is fine. I don't like the side art. Not because of the quality but the way highway chose to implement it. It's a small portion of the side. Most of the side is black wood. Not that side art is terribly important but this would be a machine I would put between other machines if I purchased it.

I like the side art, but I do wish there was less blank space on the Heighway pins. Either a different design to allow bigger panels or maybe some decal graphics around the panel. Maybe this is something pingraffix will take on someday. But that would obviously look strange if you swapped a different game in.

#100 4 years ago

Awesome job Aurich! Much better than I thought it would be given your comments about how restrictive the IP license was. It was pretty much a given that it would have to be the egg or the Xenomorph dominating the translite. Especially when dealing with both films and trying to avoid a collage of characters. After all, the second movie is really nothing more than a standoff between the queen and Ripley. So anything more would have just felt out of place. I really like the Giger-esque touches around the border and the subtle differences in the symmetry between opposing sides of the image. Super nice to see those as I figured anything even remotely referencing Giger would be hard to get approved.

Thanks to Andrew, Heighway and especially Aurich for really going the extra mile to knock this out of the park.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 399.95
$ 50.00
$ 199.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods
There are 134 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside