• Revised version but I'd like to see it without the planets 13 votes
    9%

(150 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hr_g_(resized).jpg
alien_(resized).jpg
Ferro_during_drop_(resized).jpg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Which version do you think is better the original art with glowing ships and random pencil phrases like "Fly the friendly sky's" or the cleaner, less cluttered version?

Quoted from voodle: I've add my own interpretation to the artwork and photoshopped the original by deleting the 'cartoon' elements and non-core element like the badges, flames, text and some color splatter around the space ships.
You can click on it to get a larger view.
Mine is on the left, the original on the right.
Personally I think it looks cleaner and they need make sure the planet art doesn't cut into the LCD screen.

#2 8 years ago

How about just original version? I'd bet not everyone thinks its cluttered?

#3 8 years ago

Man, you love your polls, don't ya?

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

How about just original version? I'd bet not everyone thinks its cluttered?

I see, but Stern gets crap for plastering random Photoshop images on their PF.

How is it ever fine for a pencil drawing of a phrase like 'fly the friendly sky's' on the PF?

#5 8 years ago

Once there are plastics, toys and ramps I think it will look great. I prefer the original.

#6 8 years ago

OG has so much more character, I prefer it by a mile. My opinion is not valid however, I can't fit wide-body's through my door

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

How is it ever fine for a pencil drawing of a phrase like 'fly the friendly sky's' on the PF?

Art is subjective

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

OG has so much more character, I prefer it by a mile. My opinion is not valid however, I can't fit wide-body's through my door

Head size is the same, how does WB effect your door?

#9 8 years ago

#10 8 years ago

Nice wording on the poll, totally not biased at all...

And for the record, I like the original. As GorillaBiscuits said, it's got more character.

#11 8 years ago

OP, I think you should consider using different phrasing for your poll. Seems to have an inherent bias. Obviously, Pinside polls aren't meant to collect scientific data, but perhaps refer to to the options as "Aurich's Original" and "Voodle's Revision" (or something like that).

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from Grinder901:

Man, you love your polls, don't ya?

Find the ignore button if it's too much for you.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I see, but Stern gets crap for plastering random Photoshop images on their PF.

Seems appropriate

Ferro_during_drop_(resized).jpgFerro_during_drop_(resized).jpg

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Seems appropriate

That's on screen for 2 seconds and deserves a playfield graphic?

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Seems appropriate

That's a pencil on a helmet, not the same as having a phrase scrawled in thin air. Guess you can't see the difference.

#16 8 years ago

I need to see the entire art package as a whole before passing judgement. Ramps, pops, toys, and lighting will change the look and feel of the game.

#17 8 years ago

The poll phrasing suggests bias. You could've easily just said the "original or alternative", but to put "cluttered" and "cleaner" in the options, you are trying to sway the vote towards (what sounds like) your own opinion.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

The poll phrasing suggests bias. You could've easily just said the "original or alternative", but to put "cluttered" and "cleaner" in the options, you are trying to sway the vote towards (what sounds like) your own opinion.

So?

#19 8 years ago

So, when the game is released, you can give the artwork a 7 instead of an 8. Or give it a 6, or a 5. For that one category.

We're splitting hairs here, talking about a couple blips on the playfield. Not worth delaying the project over (and I'm sure it would, just having to send it back for another approval after changes).

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from Captain_Kirk:

That's on screen for 2 seconds and deserves a playfield graphic?

Not sure that matters? BG on the walking dead was on screen pretty much same amount of time and its one of the main toys/ feature on the game? Which I love btw! Could even say that about well walker almost?

#21 8 years ago

So you had 2 options...

1) Ask the Pinside masses an objective question and see how they actually feel in an "A vs. B" choice.

or

2) Ask in a biased manner that injects your own opinion into the phrasing. It's like asking a bunch of kids "Hey, do you want to be on the cool team, or on the team of losers?" You're trying to persuade votes, thus making your misleading "Alien Art Poll"... well... bogus.

One actually opens up the conversation for dialogue, critique, and constructive criticism. The other immediately devolves the conversation because no objective choices are presented.

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

I need to see the entire art package as a whole before passing judgement. Ramps, pops, toys, and lighting will change the look and feel of the game.

i agree. i don't know why these companies release just a playfield as it only tells half the story. they should learn from Stern and wait until the games are complete.
i mean, i know the "pre orders" need to see something but showing just this playfield is keeping my deposit money in my pocket. i'm assuming the same would have been with RZ. if they just showed that playfield, i most likely would have been out (i'm still in on that one though).

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from SilverBallz:

i don't know why these companies release just a playfield as it only tells half the story. they should learn from Stern and wait until the games are complete.

It's the double edged sword of the pre-order model. You take everyone's money for year(s), you have to show something.

It'll be a great day when we're over this period.

#24 8 years ago

Pre-order = not my thing.

I need to see the whole package and hopefully play the pin before I buy.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

So why is this poll your "thing"? Your contradicting yourself. As you said, let's "see the whole package" & then we can grab the pitch forks!
As for me, I think it looks really cool!

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Then why does this poll exist? I'd take a chill pill and wait till you get your hands on one.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

As for me, I think it looks really cool!

Yep, same here. I wouldn't change a thing.

#28 8 years ago

No poll option for just a plain black playfield?

#29 8 years ago

I voted for the original version. I think we should wait until all the plastics, ramps and toys are in until we make a call on the overall design. I'm not too crazy about the patches, graffiti, and blood splotches floating around in space. My mind keeps telling me that they would look better on the plastics and apron than out there. But, I also haven't seen the complete game so I think it would be disingenuous for me to suggest a change without knowing how it fits into the overall vision of the total package. If they were just screening and selling playfields, I'd want the revised one, but that's not the case.

#30 8 years ago

rai, has something changed with you recently? Maybe you were burned in a bad pin transaction or something? You just seem sour compared to your posts in the past.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Not sure that matters? BG on the walking dead was on screen pretty much same amount of time and its one of the main toys/ feature on the game? Which I love btw! Could even say that about well walker almost?

The Well Walker was an iconic Zombie from that episode. The other is scrawling on a helmet for 2 seconds. Not comparable.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from jwo825:

I voted for the original version. I think we should wait until all the plastics, ramps and toys are in until we make a call on the overall design. I'm not too crazy about the patches, graffiti, and blood splotches floating around in space.

And that's all we're really talking about here. Patches, graffiti, etc....the populated playfield isn't going to change that.

#33 8 years ago

The Well Walker was an iconic Zombie from that episode. The other is scrawling on a helmet for 2 seconds. Not comparable.

Oh come on man, you should know everything is comparable on pinside! I really couldn't care less either way, it's all in good fun on my end! Just pinball!

#34 8 years ago

the comparison was bicycle girl...not well walker...

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from Leechman:

Oh come on man, you should know everything is comparable on pinside! I really couldn't care less either way, it's all in good fun on my end! Just pinball!

You mean like the car analogy?

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from cosmokramer:

the comparison was bicycle girl...not well walker...

Either way....iconic characters.....not random prop scribble.

#37 8 years ago

talk about biased poll options. "cluttered" and "cleaner" are completely weighted terms. also keep in mind "original" is the work of the artist and "revised" is revised by a random Pinsider.

#38 8 years ago

Can someone take out the red candy at the top and put in an egg farm? Or just continue space to the upper playfield and see what that looks like? I love the green cartoon alien... probably my favorite part of the playfield but I dislike the transition to the upper red part.

edit: egg farm is probably a bad idea since there's one on the bg.

#39 8 years ago

The planet (singular) and the moons are straight out of the movies.

Calphamos

LV426
LV223

I dont understand why anyone would want them removed
--Jeff

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

The planet (singular) and the moons are straight out of the movies.
Calphamos
LV426
LV223
I dont understand why anyone would want them removed
--Jeff

i will never challenge you to alien trivia...

#41 8 years ago

And that's all we're really talking about here. Patches, graffiti, etc....the populated playfield isn't going to change that.

I get what you're talking about here. Right now those couple elements look out of place. When the plastics go in, there might be more elements in that style, though, that make these not look as such. I'm not here to speculate on that, I'm just saying that i'm not going to start calling for change until I see the finished product.

#42 8 years ago

You mean like the car analogy?

Yes, kind of...but I make all my pinball comparisons based off what's written on a pilot's helmet in a movie. For example Centerflank compares them to lamps I think? Different strokes

#43 8 years ago

I guess that's debatable & subjective to what one feels is important, now isn't it? One could argue that the Well Walker plays a smaller roll in the The Walking Dead series, than the "saying" on the helmet in Aliens. TWD spends 10 min. of one episode out of a 6 Seasons series out of a Total of 83 episodes(3735min). As compared to 2-3 seconds of 1 movie totaling 117 minutes.
My archaic math says that: the helmet saying plays about 2.5 Times the significance in "Air Time" as the Well Walker scene when looking at the entire scope of both, & the time committed on screen.
Obviously the Well Walker was a unique zombie, but to say that the helmet saying on the playfield was a crazy idea, is just silly. It's different & unique, but it plays a role in the overall theme of this pin.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Zampinator:

I guess that's debatable & subjective to what one feels is important, now isn't it? One could argue that the Well Walker plays a smaller roll in the The Walking Dead series, than the "saying" on the helmet in Aliens. TWD spends 10 min. of one episode out of a 6 Seasons series out of a Total of 83 episodes(4980min). As compared to 2-3 seconds of 1 movie totaling 117 minutes.
My archaic math says that: the helmet saying plays about 3 Times the significance in "Air Time" as the Well Walker scene when looking at the entire scope of both, & the time committed on screen.
Obviously the Well Walker was a unique zombie, but to say that the helmet saying on the playfield was a crazy idea, is just silly. It's different & unique, but it plays a role in the overall theme of this pin.

You math is flawed. Or maybe it's just your scope. It's 10 minutes out of an approx 45 minute show.

#45 8 years ago

One episode out of how many? I was surprised to see it and BG on the playfield but whatever

#46 8 years ago

Updated version for me but leave those planets alone, I love em.

#47 8 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

Updated version for me but leave those planets alone, I love em.

Im glad to see your old avatar back...

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Head size is the same, how does WB effect your door?

Have to remove it first, ug.

#49 8 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Find the ignore button if it's too much for you.

Classy.

#50 8 years ago

Well, they've had almost 40 years to work on this, so I'm guessing it's as good as it's going to get.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alien-art-poll/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.