(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,004 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 22 hours ago by tbutler6
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240419_072738 (resized).jpg
20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2320 Technical information Posted by Coyote (4 years ago)

Post #2361 New Magnet assistance device Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Post #2425 Machine board information. Posted by Coyote (4 years ago)

Post #2524 Mechanical upgrade Posted by Cyberrocker (4 years ago)

Post #3201 Display mod (to standard screen) Posted by Mr_Outlane (4 years ago)

Post #3385 ACNC Rubber Chart Posted by KingPinGames (4 years ago)

Post #3413 ACNC Light wiring diagram Posted by JustEverett (4 years ago)

Post #3440 ACNC Service Manual Posted by KingPinGames (4 years ago)

Post #3898 Ball launch fix Posted by rotordave (4 years ago)

Post #3944 Spooky ACNC repair videos - Guillotine, Frankenstein, Diverter. Posted by Ripshill (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zebpin61.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6587 2 years ago
Quoted from TheNoTrashCougar:

I made this plastic for my ACNC as a protector for the magnet core, but it also makes the save launch super consistent. I installed this and put back the pattern to "Original" and it is amazing. What a great ball save idea Charlie!
https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-300-0148-00

Put 2 plastic protectors over the magnet cores and replaced all the pinballs a little over a week ago and have been pleased with the restored save launch feature. The save launch feature virtually disappeared after only a month since I purchased the machine and the pinballs were not registering due to magnetization. Thanks for your earlier post. Back to the crypt!

1 week later
#6631 2 years ago
Quoted from insight75:

Have a quick look in your cabinet. You are miss the top of your guillotine. Mine was like this too. It falls off easy. Having said this, it will work just fine without this in place.

Thanks for your post! Appears that I too am missing my guillotine top and had no idea. Will go hunting in cabinet but I've been in there several times over the last month so I'm not too optimistic I'll find it. Again, thanks for the heads-up!

2 months later
#6726 2 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

I also experienced this and replacing the balls solved the issue.
I have noticed that in the 6+ months I've owned the game, I've had to replace the balls twice due to magnetization.
Does this game just super magnetize them more than other pins or what?

Have you installed two magnet core plastic protectors? See post #2361 in this thread for info. Adhesive backed circular clear plastic mounts over the magnet core which seems to prevent the magnetization of pinball. Remember to lower the magnet core same amount as plastic thickness so finish height is flush with pf. Covered the magnet core at top of pf as well. Good luck.

1 month later
#6872 2 years ago

RD's right. After experimenting with other patterns if the problem persists, check to see if you have the clear plastic magnet core covers (~ 1mm thick). Available from Pinball Life, helps prevent magnetization of pinballs.

Quoted from rotordave:

Experiment with the other patterns ….
rd

2 months later
#7006 2 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Thanks for the nice words Medisinyl
Here is the history of this topper - Past and future
** History of topper**
I had the vision and idea for this topper and decided to make myself and 5 of my close friends in pinball one of these toppers. A total of 6 were made by me shortly after the pinball was released.
After showing these and delivering them to my friends. My friends and I were inundated by others that wanted one.
At the time I was NOT interested in trying to find all the parts, paint them, build them, etc.
I then agreed that one could be made by a well-known company in the pinball industry for a friend of the owner. I helped them and supplied the custom pieces. So, one additional unit was produced. For a total of 7ea.
As far as I know the 1 off was sold a year ago.
The 6, I assume are still with my friends and the one on my game.
I decided to make 13 ea of these toppers for sale this year. I am keeping One of them just in case “The Master” ever wants one for his pinball game. Thus allowing 12 toppers to be offered to the pinball community.
So, with this being the final run by me. A total of 20 ea of these toppers will be out in the world. So, 20 of the 500 games produced by spooky pinball will have one of these.
Magicchiz
[quoted image]

Topper is awesome! Unfortunately my house was built well over a century ago with a basement suited for me (height challenged...). I've already run out of nearby real-estate to locate toppers for RnM & HWN. Nice job with your artwork toppers!

2 weeks later
#7044 2 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

Thanks to Spooky for helping with this. Turns out there's a battery on the CPU (labelled in the pic with red arrow) that connects to the CPU via tiny wires (yellow arrow shows connection point). If the battery dies, the machine may not boot up.
I removed my battery and tested it - I got 2.98 volts out of the 3 volt battery. I didn't replace the battery, but when I plugged it back into the board, the game started booting up normally again. I'm thinking perhaps the connection came loose from vibrations over the years?
[quoted image]

Thanks for posting your situation & solution. Sounds an awful lot like oxidation may have been a contributing factor: Similar things have happened on pin connections on all types of games. Probably laughable, but I've been placing desiccant packs in my game cabinets & heads since my "game room" is also my basement. Probably ineffective but allows me to think I'm doing something helpful.

1 month later
#7125 2 years ago
Quoted from emtftc:

Hi, I have just recently picked up this game from a friend after years of wanting it... It's number six of 500 I believe, having some issues with magnisave (drops the ball in any setting) and it's going to ball search after ball goes into lock position. Any ideas? I see there is a plastic spacer from Marco that lowers the magnet, anyone had good results with this? I think the ball search is due to opto's but not sure...

I installed the small plastic disc over both magnets as protection from further magnetizing the balls. Plastic backed with adhesives were purchased from Pinballlife. If you install them be sure to lower the magnet from under the pf.

Issues involving magnisave were discussed in this forum over the years, check out previous posts (search key word feature) on other solutions.
Good luck and enjoy this great game!

1 month later
#7175 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I only saw three patterns and mine was set to one so I tried the other two. You think the sticker would interfere?

There are 4 magnet settings: Original and patterns 1,2 & 3. I installed the thin plastic adhesive discs on both magnets to reduce tendency for magnetizing the balls.

3 weeks later
#7232 1 year ago
Quoted from Merendino:

A few things I'm apprehensive about:
I've never owned a Spooky, therefore I'm unfamiliar with their product.
This pin is pretty limited, how long will they support it? How long will replacement parts be available?
I know I may sound a little silly but these are really my only concerns. I'm no mechanical genius but I have some semblance of common sense when it comes to repair and upkeep.
My eyes were originally drawn to Halloween simply because of how beautiful that game is...but that pin is probably the most divisive I've seen in quite awhile. I don't know if the hate is warranted or not.

Can't answer to the horror stories but with 3 Spooky pins I sincerely believe they are ideal for home use/collections. Started out with RAM, then picked up ACNC in 2021, which led to my 1st nib HW delivery in early January. For me, RAM required the most pf tweaking to address brick shots but ACNC has been minimal. I'm sure there are many contrary experiences out there as supportive ones. All 3 of these games play so utterly differently that feels refreshing. Half my current collection is a Spooky game, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

1 week later
#7271 1 year ago
Quoted from superhawk2300:

I love ACNC. That said, its probably my last Spooky machine. The code isn't finished, and if it is, it isn't the best. My machines does weird random stuff like modes starting without making the shots, etc. It loses track of balls all the time as well. I'm going to reload the last code but I work in computers and code doesn't or shouldn't degrade over time.
Also the build quality is suspect. I got a little container of screws from when I occasionally find them rolling around the play field. Apparently they don't make lock washer that size. I put the ones back I can see where they have come from but I've gotten 6-8 of them over time and some of them come from places you can't see without removing other parts because every screw hole I can see without disassembling something has a screw in it. Machine must not need the leftovers I still got here in front of me - lolz.
My spinner never worked from day one. It was really tight and stopped the ball 100% of the time. Maybe it was bent in shipping? Is that possible? Anyways I effed around and bend the frame and and it spun but it never actually did anything score wise. Turns out the stem or the micro-switch isn't long enough to contact each other. No idea how to fix that and its in a tight spot and I'm not the most mechanically inclined (and I bought a brand new machine because I got sick of screwing with my used machines) so I just yanked it and now my ACNC has no spinner.
A few cable connections were not connected from the factory as well. I did not know the skull was supposed to light up for over a year until I saw someone post about it here. I checked and sure enough the end of the cable was just dangling there under the skull. I hooked it up and boom it works.
I have a few places the ball gets stuck because the pathway wasn't held together good enough; where the ball enters the mini play field from the right ramp - it shot isn't super strong the ball gets stuck at the top gate and you have to pop the glass to get it out - no amount of shaking will free it. The screw that holds the thin metal transition piece came stripped and loose. Good enough I guess. or "don't hit weak shots up that ramp, noob".
So I am pretty not sure about the quality control and build quality at Spooky. Its a bummer because I live just a couple hours from their place and love to support local businesses and I love the themes/IP they choose to use. My next new machine is going to be something else; I just can't deal with a new machine not being fully playable and needing tweaks for over a year after I pay for it.
My long term issue is the scoop eject often thinks there is a ball there and there isn't, so it triggers an eject all the time. Its annoying by itself but at times it triggers things like awards the mystery away if you light that or defeats the Pit Creature or Igor if they are hiding there and you are battling them. I pop the hood and push all the connections in the machine back together really hard and then it goes away for a while.
I'm not trying to rip anyone here but offering a true accounting of machine number 423 for the people asking about our purchases. I LOVE the machine, when its working and not being quirky. But every time the ball never returns from the secret passage, or gets stuck entering the mini playfield, or I tell a friend "X happens when you do X" and it doesn't happen when they do it (which really sucks on this table because the shots are so hard casual players lose interest enough as it is so when it doesn't work that happens faster) its a frustrating experience.

Sorry to hear all the problems you're having with your ACNC, can feel the frustration as I read along. I too love my ACNC (celebrated it's 1 yr anniversary in my collection last week) but haven't had the type of issues you're describing. The one thought that crossed my mind reading your post was how may prior owners have had #423. If you're the original owner, your quality concerns directed at Spooky are understandable. I've bought only 1 nib (HW) with all my other games after one to many prior owners. It's possible some of the issues result from prior attempts at tweaking the game, done either poorly or incompletely, leading a prior owner to "pass along" their own monster creation. This line of thinking doesn't solve your problem but may it contribute to your perspective of what you're experiencing. Hope you get your baby in line and stay in love with it...

1 month later
#7371 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Yeah I think you’d notice a difference. That magnet in the trough is pretty strong through and it only takes one magnetized ball to f everything up haha

Besides buying 25 additional pinballs to have on hand for my 6 games, I also have a ball demagnetizer. With more games using magnets to hold/redirect the balls, figured a demagnetizer might prove handy.

2 weeks later
#7410 1 year ago

Was going through my game collection to check on batteries and found my ACNC CR2032 coin battery dated 5/2019. I'm not familiar with the dedicated setup and didn't see replacements on Pinball Life. Anyone whose already replaced theirs can tell me how best to source replacement? Amazon has similar 3v but they're listed as for laptops. Thanks.

20220903_ACNC (resized).jpg20220903_ACNC (resized).jpg
#7413 1 year ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

CR2032 is a very common battery. You can find them pretty much anywhere (Wal-Mart, Amazon, grocery store, etc.). Amazon is fine.

Understood. My question has to do with the button housing and wire harness. Do you replace the harness or just slip a new button CR2032 in the existing unit? Thanks guys.

1 week later
#7440 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Your balls are magnetized. Install carbon non magnetizing balls. Very important for proper functioning in this game. Especially concerning trough functionality

With so many games using magnets, besides keeping a stash of new balls I have a ball demagnetizer that seems to work as well. Guess it's like having a belt and suspenders...

#7442 1 year ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Do you have a link to the ball de-magnetizer. I should prob get one too

Here's the amazon link
https://www.amazon.com/TTC-Portable-Magnetizer-Demagnetizer-Model/dp/B007UQ4UI0/ref=pd_lpo_3

But it's a little cheaper if you go this route and don't need it for another month:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256802901601221.html?gatewayAdapt=4itemAdapt

1 month later
#7506 1 year ago
Quoted from dnapac:

For my upcoming birthday, my wife decided to paint me some pingulps. She doesn’t do airbrushing, so all hand painted. This one’s for ACNC…I love it!!! What she did with the cut out (making it the guillotine)…awesome. Can’t wait for her to do the rest for my other pins!![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Wow! Beautiful paint job - I so respect those with artistic talent. My "super power" is dogmatically maintaining things (old house, pins, old self...) but artistic talent = 0. Good for you both!!

1 month later
#7641 1 year ago
Quoted from Crazysurfkid:

OK, checked (and cleaned) sensor. Started new game, OK at first, then started doing it again. Thinking it has something to do when certain modes are active, and it's possibly confused. Also noticed the guillotine doesn't seem to be doing anything! I installed the new software few days ago. Wonder if either corrupt or coding error .
Will try and reinstall.
Only other thing is the resistors I've now bypassed. Would that foul things up?

In addition to the other suggestions, look at the drop down target tab below the pf surface. The translucent drop down targets require a black/dark surface on the tab that interrupts the opto beam. I've had to apply a thin black coat on other Spooky games with translucent drops.

1 week later
#7664 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

It is like a sticker or something? I'm not seeing it. Where exactly inside the coin door?

Sticker is posted on right side of cabinet, just above the "ugly blue box". Should be able to read/see it from open coin door.

#7667 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Mine must not have one.
[quoted image]

That sucks, sorry. Here's what mine looks like. Don't recall if my ACNC has any other markings. I know my newer Stern games have born dates on back of backbox. Older Sterns had SN listed on inside of cabinet. My RAM also has a blood sucker plaque on lower right of speaker grill. Maybe others can better address this...

ACNC SN 2021.6.14 (resized).jpgACNC SN 2021.6.14 (resized).jpg
#7671 1 year ago
Quoted from Deez:

Wonder if I just need to shave the edge of the ramp down. It looks like mine just has an overhang of plastic yours doesn't. The alignment compared to the posts look the same.
This is a prototype game apparently so maybe a different ramp design made it into production?

Looking at both your photos it appears your ramp flange is over the art plastic where DrBernd has his flange below the art plastic. No shaving of plastic necessary if you reverse the layer effect.

1 month later
#7730 1 year ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I think one of the solutions was to change the rubber the ball hits when it comes out of the ramp gate to a less bouncy regular black rubber ring (replacing the silicone one).

The ball goes up so fast that the gate does not have a chance to close and it bounces back to a level dead spot at top of ramp.
Hope this helps, good luck

Agreed. Before changing out the silicone ring, try pulling the existing ring so the facing side is more slack. I found it improved but didn't eliminate the occurrence.

2 weeks later
#7769 1 year ago
Quoted from ghostbc:

I also noticed the upper flipper on ACNC is already some type of metal so maybe just the bushing exchange would work ( i did not try it out).

You're right that the upper flipper on ACNC is metallic but the shaft isn't keyed. I replaced all 3 flippers with the Precision flipper system (keyed shafts, brass lined metal bushings and clamps along with the signature bats). I'm pleased with the improved performance on the upper flipper, making Frankenstein and the free ball much more consistently. The metal bushing with the 0.005" tolerance combined with the keyed shaft/clamp makes the flipper response brutally crisp. As reported in other posts, I've lowered my flipper coil settings between 25 and 33% post Precision installation to cut down on air balls, to save the mods and plastics.

Full disclosure: I don't work for them and paid full price

#7772 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

Was swapping the upper flipper a pain?

Funny you should ask: Yes. The allen screw securing the clamp to the keyed shaft was a ball-buster. I just received double-ball-hex L-key allen wrenches yesterday which would have made the tightening much easier. I'm embarrassed to admit that at the time I resorted to using plyers on the exterior gnarl surface to tighten the allen screw. Access to the upper pf through the main pf from underneath is feasible. That said, it was worth the effort changing out all 3 flippers.

#7774 1 year ago
Quoted from gliebig:

What size flipper and shaft did you order for the upper?

When ordering Precision flipper system I specified that it was for ACNC and requested the 3rd flipper be a "mini" for the upper pf. Don't hesitate to exchange an email or two with John if you're going to order. When the order came in all flippers were properly sized to replicate what had been originally installed. I didn't see a specification listed on my order to answer your question specifically. The keyed shaft was the same length as for the main flippers.

1 week later
#7795 1 year ago
Quoted from thomas49:

[quoted image]

Looks right at home there! Just be careful with exposure to sunlight. I've always sought out somewhat dark locations and then use art towels to cover the pf. Don't want those uv's to fade Alice!

1 month later
#7824 1 year ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

Could it be that the bracket is no longer at right angles to the lane guide (bent)?[quoted image]

Agreed, just last week I brought my spinner back to square (relative to the travel lane) as the leaf switch was coming in contact with a plastic nearby.

#7836 1 year ago
Quoted from WannabeWizard:

Does anyone know the color palette of the green castle and tunnel. Looking to make some mods possibly and want to match the color. Thanks.

I thought I remembered seeing mention of pigmenting formula a while back in this thread. In post #1403 Medisinyl listed a "recipe" that's listed below:

I use brown (burnt umber) mixed with light green 50/50 for a base, then for the main color,
1 part brown,
2 parts light green,
2.5 parts yellow (Cadmium yellow medium hue),
half part neutral gray, and
.75 parts cream (unbleached titanium).
After that, I adjust the mix based on the dried outcome, do another coat with the fixed tone, then mix cream and yellow with the previous main mix to do some light accents (not too heavy as the factory stones are fairly monotone).

All Liquitex Basics acrylic paint. Topped with a few coats of matte clear.

Hope that can help at all. Took about 30 attempts to get that mix. Not sure if a store product exists with the exact color or not. If so, I'd like to know :p

1 month later
#7861 11 months ago
Quoted from play_pinball:

Had one hell of an airball during what ended up being a new grand champ score on my game (only had it a couple months now, end result was 244mil). The ball flew and landed behind the castle here! I ended up just installing a new ball to finish the game lol.
[quoted image]

Do you have precision flippers on your ACNC? After installing them on my game I lowered my coils about 35% and 25% respectively on the lower and upper flippers. Love the action and power but hate seeing pf damage, especially the plastics, from air ball bullets.

By the the way, be sure to put an asterisk after this score in the record books: "extra ball" played... literally.

2 months later
#7897 8 months ago

While doing a full Titan band replacement on my ACNC I found a few pinch points where the bands are significantly impinged by metal guides/rails. The worst instance involved the metal deflector for the Secret Passage where the band was severely compressed nearly to the post shaft. Like most owners I try to rotate bands periodically but since this one is completely obscured by the overhead art plastics below the Crypt and tunnel over the left elevated metal rail, I never attempted to rotate this one: If I had tried I certainly would have snapped it.

A better solution was filing the metal deflector to fully accommodate the new band so it can be periodically rotated for fresh facings. I also back-off my post tightening just enough to allow the post to rotate slightly to help the bands keep consistent tension throughout the mount. Thought that I'd share a photo of what it now looks like to help others avoid snapping a perfectly good band as part of their regular adjustments.

ACNC secret passage bracket marked 2023.8.10 (resized).jpgACNC secret passage bracket marked 2023.8.10 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#7951 4 months ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Not so much a fix as clarification. The lab 2 ball lock target should be raised when ball 1 is locked. When ball 1 is locked, you either hit the target and quickly put the ball in the right hand lock to start Frank multi ball, or you hit the the flashing eye target which then drop the drop target to allow the ball into the right hand ball 2 lock. The drop target is on a timer, so you have to be quick.
The diverter at the back of Frank must be linked to the drop target. The fact the target is not raised and a shot to the right hand Frank ramp causes the ball to loop back to the playfield means the diverter has not opened to the ball 2 lock. I would check the diverter which is controlled by a servo motor. Perhaps the servo has failed?
Skippy2904

Skippy2904 thanks for your clarification on the Frankenstein ball lock. I love getting the Frankenstein multiball going. I'm curious if others have experienced somewhat frequent (~ 10%) ball searches when landing a ball captive in either the left Frank lock or the Crypt lock. I've cleaned the opto's and switch tests all pass test. Is it a software known issue or possibly still a physical alignment issue? I don't like to leave things <100% and won't rest till this is eliminated. Thanks guys.

4 weeks later
#7962 3 months ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never once been able to backhand either of my ramps, even with max flipper power

I believe backhand shots to either ramp can be enabled or disabled by the preset location of the flipper at rest. That's one reason I've taken pictures of my flipper adjustments by machine so they can be replicated if ever having to adjust/rebuild my flippers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 14.00
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 300.00
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zebpin61.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk?tu=zebpin61 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.