(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,999 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by pinballM
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2320 Technical information Posted by Coyote (4 years ago)

Post #2361 New Magnet assistance device Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Post #2425 Machine board information. Posted by Coyote (4 years ago)

Post #2524 Mechanical upgrade Posted by Cyberrocker (4 years ago)

Post #3201 Display mod (to standard screen) Posted by Mr_Outlane (4 years ago)

Post #3385 ACNC Rubber Chart Posted by KingPinGames (4 years ago)

Post #3413 ACNC Light wiring diagram Posted by JustEverett (4 years ago)

Post #3440 ACNC Service Manual Posted by KingPinGames (4 years ago)

Post #3898 Ball launch fix Posted by rotordave (4 years ago)

Post #3944 Spooky ACNC repair videos - Guillotine, Frankenstein, Diverter. Posted by Ripshill (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VALIS666.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2797 4 years ago

Picked this up on Saturday, outstanding game. Really stands toe to toe with the best from JJP, AP, and Stern in all facets. A tough shooter, but I love that. Got to have a mix at home between long and short players, tight shooters and more open, grindy ones. Really sweet mix of songs, too. When I first saw the track list I was all, "it's missing so much classic Coop!" but really every song here is entertaining and plays so well with the modes. "Disco Bloodbath Boogie Fever" might be the best song ever in a pinball machine, which is saying something.

A few new owner questions:

- Updated the code to the latest, which reset the high scores, but is there no other way to reset the scores? I've been through the menu 15 times and can't find anything for that, or other common options like limit high score entries to 3 initials, lower/remove match percentage, nothing on LED intensity, etc.

- Speaking of the menu, I don't understand most of the "Machine (Replay)" menu. Backdown amount? Increase amount? Losing threshold? Don't quite understand what these, and pretty much everything else in this menu, does. There's no manual online yet, it seems. Has anyone ever gone through the menu and explained?

- Finally, just looking for some strategic tips. Some games I'm drilling shots, some are brick city, but either way I have that "chopping wood" feeling -- a lot of work for little points. It's all about activating modes, I assume. The modes seem pretty fat here in both points and ball save time, so I assume they're key. A manual! That's the only downside. So many questions, so few answers. Then I wouldn't have to bug Pinsiders with basic new owner questions.

#2847 4 years ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I actually like the lighting on this machine to be a little on the darker side.
It mends well with the theme.
There are not really any blind spots or areas that are seriously darker where you lose sight of the ball, so for me it’s good the way it is.

Same here. And since my games are in a basement with an unfinished ceiling, it's easy to stick a clamp light over a pin if someone wants the extra light. Personally I'd just want to light the upper playfield a bit better to show off the castle.

1 month later
#3389 4 years ago

Swapped out those slick, bouncy, purple flipper rubbers (are they superbands?) that came with the game for some generic Stern black ones I had lying around, and my god does The Coop play so much better now. This game is so much trap/control & aim, so being able to trap/control more easily is pretty key. Might trade 'em out for some purple standard or purple silicones at some point, but either way, I'm happy as I was not enjoying the play on this lately. The music and art package is top notch, but play wise, you need to be in the mood for a fight. People say Houdini is hard, but it's minor leagues next to Coop. Even good tournament players who come over to my house are like "Eh, I don't feel like wrestling with this" and play something else.

2 weeks later
#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I had pictured mine in the summer (not a decal, but a plastic panel with knobs, reverse decals on the back, with paint and sealer over them. and custom speaker bezels), but have only offered it to one person that was asking for one (still need to make it). At most I'll be making about 4 of these, so an insignificant amount. Didn't seem like a lot of interest, otherwise I may have looked into buying the machinery or hiring out some help to make them feasible, but instead I'll hand make a few (prototype pictured with what I had on hand, but a higher end plastic would be used).
Look forward to what you come up with

If any of those four aren't spoken for, or you're gauging interest to make more, you can definitely count me in for one. I love the way this looks.

3 months later
#4586 3 years ago

Haven't seen it mentioned here or on Spooky's site, is it alright to install this latest update if I haven't done 1.1.0.0 from Feb. 4 yet? I assume so since it isn't mentioned, just want to be sure.

#4599 3 years ago

Enjoying the update. Only about 6-7 games so far but I like how it plays, the new animations, definitely a lot snappier overall. Seems like the lighting has changed as well (for the better) but I can't put my finger on how. But as I said above, I didn't do the previous update, so maybe some of this was there already.

Two problems though:

- The game still resets after game over or after high score initials entered. The backglass goes dim, the LCD goes dark, and Alice's closing line is cut off after a word or two. Happens 100% of the time.

- My Danesi lock is going crazy. When a new ball is put into the shooter lane, the drop target will keep going up and down. So in one way it's easy street, I can just stand there and watch the game reward me a skill shot then a crypt multiball, but yeah, obviously it's not supposed to do this. Not sure if a glitch with the code or something mechanical on my machine, but this is the first time it's been happening. Happens about 50% of the time a new ball is put in the shooter lane.

#4662 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Just turn the game off and on again.
IMPORTANT WHEN UPDATING!!
1. Turn the game on FIRST!
2. In Attract mode, insert the USB key!

Oh, balls. Maybe this is why I got some glitches in my update, I had the USB stick in when powering on. I was going to re-run it tonight anyway, now I suppose I'll try the right way.

1 week later
#4770 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Enjoying the update. Only about 6-7 games so far but I like how it plays, the new animations, definitely a lot snappier overall. Seems like the lighting has changed as well (for the better) but I can't put my finger on how. But as I said above, I didn't do the previous update, so maybe some of this was there already.

Two problems though:

- The game still resets after game over or after high score initials entered. The backglass goes dim, the LCD goes dark, and Alice's closing line is cut off after a word or two. Happens 100% of the time.

- My crypt lock is going crazy. When a new ball is put into the shooter lane, the drop target will keep going up and down. So in one way it's easy street, I can just stand there and watch the game reward me a skill shot then a crypt multiball, but yeah, obviously it's not supposed to do this. Not sure if a glitch with the code or something mechanical on my machine, but this is the first time it's been happening. Happens about 50% of the time a new ball is put in the shooter lane.

My crypt lock is still going apeshit but I haven't been underneath the table yet to check it out. I think I figured out the other problem though. When I have match off in settings, Alice's game over call out gets cut off mid-sentence every time. However when match is on it goes through the match animation, then Alice's closing call out in full, then does a quick little lights off reset thing. So that's fine.

Is anyone else playing with match off but not getting Alice's closing call out cut off? I really hate having match on for any of my machines.

5 months later
#5480 3 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

Does anyone know if I can safely pull 12 volts from the backbox LED strip to power a second LED strip? My ACNC doesn’t have any mods on it but I’d like to get 12 volts without having to order a secondary Accessory Power Supply.

Yeah, good question. Was thinking of putting pinstadiums on my ACNC, but reading through this thread on the subject it sounds a bit tricky, unless you just plug into a service outlet (which I don't remember this game having?) or run a plug out of the bottom of the cab. If anyone who put Pinstadiums on this game wants to comment, it's appreciated.

#5488 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Totally agree. I purchased pinstadiums about 3 years ago when they were going for maybe $160 a unit. Now they are around 250-300, and I just can't justify that price anymore. All I really wanna do is make the game easier to see.
If a product came along with something that enhances GI and nothing more (white lights) for like $40 each, I'd buy one for every game I own. I don't need the UV, I don't need the bluetooth adaptor, I don't need the color changing LEDs... just light.

There are a lot of "how to build LED strips" videos out there, for pinball and otherwise. I just noticed last night this guy has a lengthy video on how to build them:

And how to install them:

I only skimmed through so can't really vouch for the videos, but they seem well done.

Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

FWIW:
I was not a big fan of Pin Stadiums for the longest time - primarily due to the zebra effect that they produced on chrome wireforms, ramps, etc. Additionally, I honestly felt that most of my games simply didn't need them enough to justify the cost and associated hassle of having to remove and reinstall them every time you raise the playfield.
HOWEVER, that said, I reconsidered them for installation in my ACNC and Houdini (both of which are somewhat dark) once Pin Stadium released their NEO version that utilizes a lens to eliminate the zebra effect.
I have now installed the NEO version in both games and I can honestly say that I am VERY happy with the results. Not only is the additional (color controllable) lighting a plus, but what is really cool is the additional lighting effect that is triggered when the shaker motor goes off. In ACNC, the shaker is often accompanied by the sound of thunder and the effect similar to LIGHTNING created by the Pin Stadiums is fabulous! This is something that really needs to be seen to be appreciated and I will try to post a gameplay video to YouTube and share the link in this club thread in the near future.
Just to be clear, Pin Stadiums are still admittedly expensive and the removal/re-install is still a nuisance, but for the right games - such as ACNC (as well as Houdini in my case) - the positive lighting effects more than outweigh the negatives for me!

This is how it went for me, too. Didn't really care about Pinstadiums, I'd just use a tap light or something mounted above my super dark games (WoZ and ACNC), but the used AIQ I bought recently came with a set of Omegas, and damn, what a difference. I played some Wonka directly after Avengers last night, and was like "what is that greyish lump moving around the playfield? Is that the ball?" They're overpriced, IMO, but their effect is dramatic at least.

#5505 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

And now the crypt drop opto is joining the party random triggers of that opto.

This one is driving me nuts, I've had this problem for months now and it's made my game unplayable as the drop target will keep going up and down, rewarding points and sending out multiballs until the game either crashes or loses track of balls/scoring. Spooky sent me a replacement opto for the crypt but it's the wrong one. Zooming in with a camera phone, I think, maybe, possibly, there's a frayed wire from one of the optos touching metal. Maybe. Someone earlier in this thread mentioned something about bending the drop target assembly to get it to align correctly with the opto, but that seems a little vague (or my memory of that post is vague). Reseating connections sometimes works for a ball or two. Doing drop target tests in settings also works for a ball or two. Just waiting for the correct optos before I take stuff off to get in there, although it's a long weekend, maybe I'll mess around anyway. Weird that it's false triggers instead of no triggers, which is what usually seems to happen with dead or dying optos.

*Speaking of the wrong opto, if anyone from Spooky sees this, I sent an email to Morgan early this morning about getting the right opto, but no response. It's a busy week, perhaps people aren't in the office at Spooky today or this week, I'm just checking to make sure Morgan still works there or if I should contact someone else. Thanks.

#5508 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Welcome to my hell! The optos are a PITA to replace and it only lasted a few games before it was back to drop target mania with no ball. I think there is something else going on ... but I can relate!!

Oh no. What potential solutions are you looking into now? A ball ejecting into the shooter lane is a common culprit to start the crypt lock misfiring for me. I'm so good at this game I don't even have to launch the ball to get the skill shot and crypt multiball.

10 months later
#6737 2 years ago

Any way to know what code I'm on? I can't find it in any of the menus, nor does it seem to be on any attract screen. It's gotta be somewhere but I'm stumped or oblivious. I assume I'm on 1.1.0.5 (the latest) but I don't know that for sure, and I also can't find a log of code update history on their site.

#6740 2 years ago
Quoted from Paulatron:

I’m sure it’s in the script lines when you first turn it on. You can also tell by the fang club graphic that scrolls through with the other images. That was included on the last update.

PXL_20211022_023408582.jpgPXL_20211022_023408582.jpg

So should the code version be on this screen or it just changed looks? I'm pretty sure there were Fang Club screens on older code, but this does look different as far as I can remember. Oh well, I'll just download and install it, only way to be sure.

#6746 2 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Any way to know what code I'm on? I can't find it in any of the menus, nor does it seem to be on any attract screen. It's gotta be somewhere but I'm stumped or oblivious. I assume I'm on 1.1.0.5 (the latest) but I don't know that for sure, and I also can't find a log of code update history on their site.

Just to answer my own question and put the info out there in case anyone needs it, under 1.1.0.4 (and earlier?) there wasn't any way to know what code you were on except during a boot up screen, under 1.1.0.5 it says so on the top of the settings screen.

4 months later
#7031 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Greetings, new owner here and I wanted to tap the collective intelligence of the forum to see if anyone had success solving the crypt drop target issue where it triggers on its own? My ball is still in the shooter lane and the game awards me skill shots and thinks there is a ball locked and eventually starts crypt multiball. Spooky said to check the connections on the board which controls those optos and I reseated the connections but after a couple plays it started happening again. Anyone have a betterr fix for this?

Yes, same problems here, I got new optos from Spooky (wrong ones, though, had to unscrew the opto from the mount and install it on the original opto mount) and those seem to have fixed the issue. Well, technically me and my friend only did the right side crypt opto and not both, since it seems like the whole upper playfield needs to come off to get to the left side one. Might as well try the easy one first and see if that fixes things, was his wise idea.

#7035 2 years ago
Quoted from nedry:

Thanks, so no issues since the new opto was installed? How long has it been?

Last time I played I was getting a ball count error, but don't think it had to do with the crypt. Wasn't the same "crypt lock triggering for no reason" problem, anyway. The fix was done sometime last fall but I'm not sure how many games since. 20-25? Enough to assume the problem fixed. Was planning on playing 'Coop again soon so I'll let you know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 14.00
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 300.00
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider VALIS666.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk?tu=VALIS666 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.