(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,997 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by finnflash
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230920_094337_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #2320 Technical information Posted by Coyote (4 years ago)

Post #2361 New Magnet assistance device Posted by TheNoTrashCougar (4 years ago)

Post #2425 Machine board information. Posted by Coyote (4 years ago)

Post #2524 Mechanical upgrade Posted by Cyberrocker (4 years ago)

Post #3201 Display mod (to standard screen) Posted by Mr_Outlane (4 years ago)

Post #3385 ACNC Rubber Chart Posted by KingPinGames (4 years ago)

Post #3413 ACNC Light wiring diagram Posted by JustEverett (4 years ago)

Post #3440 ACNC Service Manual Posted by KingPinGames (4 years ago)

Post #3898 Ball launch fix Posted by rotordave (4 years ago)

Post #3944 Spooky ACNC repair videos - Guillotine, Frankenstein, Diverter. Posted by Ripshill (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1649 4 years ago

I have a favor to ask any ACNC owner. I'm making a custom Plug n Play quiet fan kit (correct connector, custom wire length) for Spooky machines like the one I did for Spike machines and need confirmation of the Meanwell power supply in the ACNC machine (basically that it's still the same as (AMH, TNA, Rob Zombie). Can someone have a look and verify the model number of the power supply in the back of the cabinet bottom?

The Spike PnP Fan thread is where I'm posting updates while I complete thermal testing, etc. It's here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans/page/7#post-5191594

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Got the information. Same power supply in all Spooky machines. Thanks!

#1652 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

vireland - Confirmed, ACNC (#48) has the same PS:
SE-600-48

Thanks so much for confirming!

Now I just have to finish thermal studies over time for the fan installed in the machine and if it checks out (which I don't expect it not to, it will likely be similar to or slightly better than the spike quiet fans, temperature-wise, IMO) this new kit will be good to go for all Spooky machines, and more than 10x quieter than what's in there stock and like 4x quieter than any other solution so far.

#1659 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I'd buy one! I'd also buy one for the KISS prem I have. That fan is really loud.

The KISS Prem quiet fan kit already exists. It's in the Pin Monk store here on Pinside.

The Spooky one I'm working on will also work for early Spike Pros and contract runs (Whoa Nellie, Primus, Beatles, etc) that have the fan on the front of the power supply instead of the top.

We're probably 8 weeks out or so on the Spooky fans so I can complete thermal tests and get them manufactured.

#1662 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I look up the KISS fan for now. Just thinking I might save on shipping if I wait and order both at the same time.

Pinball Life is also carrying the Spike quiet fan kit now, so if you are getting something from them already, that will save on shipping, too:

https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-spike-system-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit.html

1 week later
#1699 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I have a favor to ask any ACNC owner. I'm making a custom Plug n Play quiet fan kit (correct connector, custom wire length) for Spooky machines like the one I did for Spike machines and need confirmation of the Meanwell power supply in the ACNC machine (basically that it's still the same as (AMH, TNA, Rob Zombie). Can someone have a look and verify the model number of the power supply in the back of the cabinet bottom?
The Spike PnP Fan thread is where I'm posting updates while I complete thermal testing, etc. It's here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans/page/7#post-5191594
Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Got the information. Same power supply in all Spooky machines. Thanks!

Whelp, I MEANT to edit the original post but I guess I ended up replying to myself!

#1703 4 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

I had previously purchased Accessory Power Supply For Spooky Pinball P-ROC Systems (from Pinball Life) before my machine arrived.. however, I'm not sure that I even need this board anymore based on no more add-ons other than the volcano, crypt.... Anyone else using a board for any reason? Can leg lights or undercabinet lights be tied in using this without overtaxing the power supply? or will that void the warranty?

The product page specificially says "strong and safe enough to support under-cabinet lighting alongside other mods" so that's a yes. Total of 3 amps on the 12v side and 500 milliamps on the 5v side.

1 month later
#1981 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyKT:

Just gently push your castle turret a little to the right. It must have shifted a little. That area is designed to let the ball pass through if that happens.

This is a RZ question, but while you're here...where does this yellow wire I found floating around in a RZ go? I couldn't see anywhere it belonged, and the game seems to be fully working. My only guess was that this was to the leaf switch for the kicker that was abandoned in the area to the left of the single Lock 1-2-3 drop target.

Any insight/advice is appreciated.
RZ_Wire.jpgRZ_Wire.jpg

#1991 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Email this stuff to us directly so we be sure to see it... but that appears to be the 12v lines for one of the light up mods. They were the only ones that color.

Will do, thanks.

6 months later
#4505 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Anybody buy the plug and play fan that vireland made?
I'm thinking about getting it. Fan noise is a big complaint of mine on my ACNC.
Part: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03720-spooky-multimorphic-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit
Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans
EDIT: I bought it. Price and upside is too good to pass up. I also need something to do. I'm a little weary of opening up the power supply though, I've never done that. Yes I'll unplug and let sit & turn on the game to get the residual power used up before I open it. I still want to know if anyone has installed it yet and what complications I may encounter?

As long as you follow the instructions step by step, it should be easy peasy. The only place that's a little irritating is having to take off the wires from the wire blocks on the power supply (Stern has these going to a molex connector, so it's much less hassle to disconnect) and making sure the label on the fan points the proper direction. Also, using a magnetic screwdriver makes it less likely you'll drop the tiny screws holding the circuit board when you have to remove them to move the board.

Post how it goes when you're done! I've only done Rob Zombies and TNA in testing (but they all use the same power supply).

#4521 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I haven't installed the quiet fan on my ACNC yet, but I did install one on my KISS prem. The only concern I had was the portion where you have to cut the power supply line out of the foam insulation. I'm not sure if the Spooky supply is setup the same way, but the instructions were pretty scary saying, "Don't disturb these two spots (right next to where you had to cut) or your game may not turn back on". That said, all in all it was pretty easy. Just read through the instructions before starting and follow closely. Go slow and be careful.
One last thought, I did the install on a cold day (I'm guessing my basement was 60-65 degrees). When testing it took a LONG time for the power supply to heat up enough to turn on. I played several 4 player games, playing non-stop for almost 45 mins trying to get it to turn on (very close to the 1 hour limit when you should shut the game off). That really freaked me out, but it all worked out in the end. Just a bit nerve racking lol

There's no silicone goo on the Spooky power supplies. Aside from the annoyance of having to loosen the whole circuit board to get it out of the way to remove the fan, it's actually a less fraught install.

The warning is supposed to slow people down in that spot for the Spike 500W power supply. It's not THAT delicate, but it's the one point where you can really screw up the install. It's worked. Zero people have failed the installation to date.

The newer Spike 500W meanwell power supplies seem to have done away with that silicone glob. Stranger Things' power supply doesn't have it.

#4524 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

As far as noisy fans on power supplies, just hang in there fellas. When you hit your 50's, you ain't gonna hear it much any more. At least not enough to bother you.

Really depends on ambient noise in the room. The spooky ones being on all the time is especially irritating. I'm in my 50s and it drives me nuts in seconds. But, in an arcade or loud bar, I could see where it wouldn't be a concern most of the time.

#4537 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Noisy power supplies drive me nuts, but my dad told me, "maybe they made them noisy so you know they are working." Another "old guys" perspective haha

The SE-600-48 power supply in Spooky machines has built in throttling that reduces power gradually if it gets too hot until it finally just shuts off. You'll know if it's not working.

Here's the chart. It throttles MUCH sooner than the version of the power supply from the same manufacturer Stern uses. Spooky's starts to throttle at 104 degrees, while Stern's doesn't to that until 122 degrees.

Spooky-Multimorphic SE-600-48_temp_graph (resized).jpgSpooky-Multimorphic SE-600-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
#4685 3 years ago

Follow up on this post.
If you have an ACNC with a loud annoying fan and you would gladly spend $17 and about 1 hour of your time, you can rectify this forever. This product is worth it's weight in gold. Directions are clear and concise, complete with pictures. I'm above "novice" level of repair and I was able to do everything without an issue.
Great product, super happy. vireland is a genius.

Thanks for the recommendation.

I do want to point out that anyone can still DIY this (that's what the thread about fan replacements started as) with a stock Sunon fan to save a few bucks, but they'll have to cut/solder/heatshrink to get the wire to the proper length with the proper connector for the SE-600-48 power supply. What I'm primarily selling is all-in-one convenience with the right fan and correct wire length and connector with detailed instructions on how to do the swap to make it a very easy job with a custom install factory look.

#4688 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I never even hear mine. And I can hear the fan ramp up and down on my Deadpool. So some must be noisier than others.

Have you checked that your fan is ON? Maybe your power supply fan is broken. The dB level of the Spike 500W and the Spooky 600W power supplies are almost the same, but the spooky one is always on. If you can hear one, you should be able to hear the other.

If you check and the fan is working (you can feel airflow coming out of the bottom vent with the power on), then my other thought is did you buy it used? If so, maybe the prior owner modded it with a quieter fan.

#4693 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OK, there is no bottom vent on ACNC, but I can hear it if I put my ear to the cabinet or towards rear. It is working, but I can't hear it enough to even care. I know my hearing is terrible, but still can't believe it's that bad. Oh well.

No, I mean the bottom vent of the power supply INSIDE the bottom of the cabinet. You have to lift the playfield to access it.

5 months later
#5353 3 years ago

EDIT: Got the coil cooling kit testing spot locked down for AC/NC. Thanks to all who responded.

1 week later
#5412 3 years ago
Quoted from Brog319:

Hey guys,
Just purchased this pin last night and have loved playing it so far. Only issue I’ve had is the ball not making it up the left ramp and then draining SDTM. I’m not a great player so when I do hit the ramp shot it feels great - only to see it not make it to the top and roll down and drain on me.
I’ve checked and it seems like right flipper is turned all the way up (at 50). Is this common, or if you hit that opening clean should it make it to upper playfield most times? Maybe a bad coil??
Thanks
Brian

Does your flipper have play if you pull up on it? You should have about a credit card thick gap between the bottom of the flipper and the white flipper bushing if you pull up on the flipper. If not, the flipper might be binding a little, robbing it of power. If it doesn't have the little gap, loosen the flipper post from below and pull it up just a little, then re-tighten.

1 week later
#5457 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

By your description, it sounds awesome.
Hope it becomes available!

The Spike2 version of the cooling kit looks like this:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/04203-tibetan-breeze-flipper-coil-cooling-kit-spike2

It keeps the coil temps around 100F for as long as you play. Some games (all Spooky, many Spike) have coil temps that are in the 140F-150F+ range which negatively affects your flipper performance and, therefore, shot and accuracy with them. The cooling kit stops that problem completely.

I just got word that the Spooky-specific wiring harnesses are on their way from the factory, so the Spooky version of these kits should be available very soon. It will be a bit more expensive than the Spike kit because there is added hardware necessary (steel 10-32 hex standoffs aint cheap, and I include Loctite for this one due to coil stop vibration) to mount it due to the orientation of Spooky coils (over the end from the coil stop instead of on the side like Spike), but everything you need to do a finished installation will be in the box.

#5459 3 years ago

I own two Spooky games. One was at my house (ACNC) the other in a public place (R&M, free play).
I can't hear the fan on R&M because of it's location. Even when nobody is playing, it's just hard to hear with every other game on. However, when I have ACNC on at my house, it was super loud. It took over the white noise in the room.
I got the fan from vireland, which was very easy to install, and it made a world of difference. When I bring R&M home, I'll probably do the same thing.

Awesome. Thanks for the support. I say the Spooky pin fans sound like someone is vacuuming in the next room. Drives me nuts, especially since they don't have a thermal switch so they run all the time.

#5461 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I know from the Hobbit thread that good players that have long games have a problem with coils over heating as well. I don't because I set it steep and I'm not that good. But there is a market for you there as well.

Yeah, all JJP have the issue on long games as well. Spooky's almost done, and JJP is next on the list to make a kit for, but I need my jjGnR to get here so I can start on it...

1 month later
#5642 3 years ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

Hello everybody,
has someone already installed the fans to cool the pinball coils in the ACNC pinball machine?
The power supply in my pinball machine only supplies 48V, which differs from the installation instructions! For the 12V there is a separate power supply unit (in the picture on the right, black) to supply the audio amplifier, without a connection option.
Where could I get the 12VDC for the fans?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

There should be a small auxiliary power supply off to the side. That's the one in the instructions.

spooky-aux (resized).jpgspooky-aux (resized).jpg

Can you take a picture of your cabinet bottom? In US machines, it's to the left of the large power supply.

#5645 3 years ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

...that‘s it. Did not recognize the smaller AUX power supply, since it is to the right of the large power supply and connectors were covered by a large sticker „caution - high voltage“.
Thank you very much for quick support!

Is it on the right side of the large power supply in yours? If you're standing in front of the machine, it's on the left side in the US machines. If there's a change for European machines, I should probably note that. I also should probably put the big power supply in the cabinet graphic of that instruction panel so it's obvious that's not the power supply we're concerned with here.

Glad you're all set now.

I've revised that panel of the Spooky instructions to be more clear...

revised-spooky-panel.jpgrevised-spooky-panel.jpg
#5647 3 years ago
Quoted from DrBernd:

...that‘s how it looks like in my ACNC. Thanks again!
[quoted image]

Thank you for the picture, that's definitely a different placement for the AUX power supply.

I wonder if the location of the AUX power supply was changed after RZ (which is the one I was working with), or if this is a placement specific to European Spooky pins.

I'll probably just make another change and say the AUX power supply is "next to" the SE-600-48, rather than left or right.

Thanks again.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider PinMonk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk?tu=PinMonk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.