(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,997 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by finnflash
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230920_094337_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 160.
#4701 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Surprised more people aren’t speaking up and discussing how well this recent code update has bumped gameplay?? This is what owners have been waiting for, IMO.
The integration of lights and sounds are so much better... the game is feeling more like a smooth and unified experience... it’s professional feeling is coming together in a nice way.
They’ve pushed the ball further up the hill. It’s at a really. I’ve spot. Hope they continue to push it!

Honestly, I feel like as is with the weird auto difficulty making the rooms inaccessible the code is a downgrade from previous. Lots of potential showing, but nothing is really there yet. Not to mention how all the items seem to do a similar thing (give you some free starting progress). Was very disappointed to see that both the zombie items are completely identical in function. No point in choosing which to go for at all.

Light shows are nice, and I really appreciate that we can finally see the hurry up value, but the rules themselves have just gotten weirdly lopsided

#4702 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Honestly, I feel like as is with the weird auto difficulty making the rooms inaccessible the code is a downgrade from previous. Lots of potential showing, but nothing is really there yet. Not to mention how all the items seem to do a similar thing (give you some free starting progress). Was very disappointed to see that both the zombie items are completely identical in function. No point in choosing which to go for at all.
Light shows are nice, and I really appreciate that we can finally see the hurry up value, but the rules themselves have just gotten weirdly lopsided

I agree that it would be nice if you had the option to always explore the entire castle.

After having some time to play and digest the items addition, I concluded that I think the items are cool and if nothing else make for a fun side quest. But it would be more fun (to me at least) if they were always all available, independently from the selected monster, and you could just accumulate them on passes through the castle. Then I would have the freedom to sequence the monsters and the collection of items in whichever order I choose. Or, even if I want to try to play a round where I don't care so much about the monsters per se, but want to try to collect as many of the items as possible. Sort of like Medieval Madness where some games I just want to screw around and destroy castles, where others I'm trying to work to Royal Madness...Or others where I'm super serious and trying to Battle for the Kingdom. Just fun to have varied paths/options. (Note: I'm not a tournament player and tend to enjoy achieving objectives more than points, though achieved objectives often tend to net a lot of points

And perhaps, to your point, that would open up options for having different items work in different ways on different monsters. So maybe you could select which item you want to use while fighting the monster. Or maybe even combine them for different effects, etc. (Or maybe I just played too much Monkey Island when I was younger...)

Also, always using the vampire shot feels a little bit repetitive. I like that it's the upper playfield (as it's the GOAT IMHO), but I wish the item shot varied a bit up there. And if multiple items were in each room (due to always being available), it would make sense to map each one to their own shot(s)...Or maybe even combos, or roving shots, or...Maybe a shot to select which item you want to grab (assuming multiple items per room) and then a varying shot to collect it?

#4703 3 years ago

Hey guys,
Can someone explain again how to qualify the weapons in the new code update? Is it random or is there a method to having the opportunity to collect? I notice that the ramps are lit green when they are qualified, and then the alice target is flashing to collect the weapon. Other than that not sure what is going on. I appreciate the effort going into this game, as others have mentioned one of the funnest games out there and in my collection. Keep up the updates Spooky!

#4704 3 years ago
Quoted from surfinvet:

Hey guys,
Can someone explain again how to qualify the weapons in the new code update? Is it random or is there a method to having the opportunity to collect? I notice that the ramps are lit green when they are qualified, and then the alice target is flashing to collect the weapon. Other than that not sure what is going on. I appreciate the effort going into this game, as others have mentioned one of the funnest games out there and in my collection. Keep up the updates Spooky!

As per my previous post:

Quoted from Coyote:

Ballroom, Alice: Jacket
Ballroom, Insect: Zapper
Parlor, Vampire: Pool Cue
Parlor, Wolf: Shotgun
Dungeon, Zombie: Chainsaw
Dungeon, Igor: Whip
Conservatory, Pit Creature & Alice: Shears
Conservatory, Wolf: Wolfsbane
Kitchen, PitCreature: Salt
Kitchen, Vampire: Garlic
Labratory, Ethyl: Formaldehyde
Labratory, Zombie: Dynamite
Library, Ethyl: Cross
Library, Igor & Insect: Book

#4705 3 years ago
Quoted from surfinvet:

Hey guys,

Each monster has items in different rooms, so you need to get to the room for the monster you've selected (See @Coyote's list earlier), then you'll see the target light. Since you can only travel to the lab/dungeon right now until you've gotten through 3 monsters, you'll want to focus on Igor/Zombie/Ethyl since they're the monsters that have items in those two rooms

Quoted from joetechbob:

And perhaps, to your point, that would open up options for having different items work in different ways on different monsters. So maybe you could select which item you want to use while fighting the monster. Or maybe even combine them for different effects, etc. (Or maybe I just played too much Monkey Island when I was younger...)

I originally imagined maybe like one item would be double scoring for a mode, and one would make it take less shots, or something, and you could possibly collect both, or when starting a monster you'd have to think about which of those items you'd prefer, and take a different route depending. So many other effects they could have too... Maybe one makes your hurry up bigger, or lets you collect it repeatedly, or makes the shots easier. Extend the frenzy, extend the ball save, maybe even an add a ball similar to Hobbit's modes, etc. Tons of possibilities beyond just free monster progress

Alternately, some items could be applicable to every monster (such as double frenzy scoring maybe), but once you had that item, you'd want to specifically go for a monster that has a valuable frenzy (like Zombie)

#4706 3 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that Cold Ethyl mode is different? It's like the other modes now. The descending pitch/timer is gone and you just keep landing in the crypt to score jackpots until the frenzy shots and then the hurry up shot occurs. Also, is the animation of Cold Ethyl's face rotting completely off new? Or did I just miss it before? It's nasty!

#4707 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Good points. I think good new over shines the negative.

Seems like spooky has kind of abandoned this thread. It would be nice to know where they stand on the code.... and if they’ll cont in use to hone and tweak?

I like it tho... feels like a complete game

#4708 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

to think about which of those items you'd prefer, and take a different route depending. So many other effects they could have too... Maybe one makes your hurry up bigger, or lets you collect it repeatedly, or makes the shots easier. Extend the frenzy, extend the ball save, maybe even an add a ball similar to Hobbit's modes, etc. Tons of possibilities beyond just free monster progress
Alternately, some items could be applicable to every monster (such as double frenzy scoring maybe), but once you had that item, you'd want to specifically go for a monster that has a valuable frenzy (like Zombie)

That would be cool

#4709 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Good points. I think good new over shines the negative.
Seems like spooky has kind of abandoned this thread. It would be nice to know where they stand on the code.... and if they’ll cont in use to hone and tweak?
I like it tho... feels like a complete game

I agree. This code was huge step in the right direction, though there are some changes I don't like. Definitely need to be able to select the desired difficulty with progressive just as an option. I'm struggling to collect any weapons before inadvertently starting the next monster. It's definitely making me slow down and plan out a strategy, but I haven't had much success yet actually completing what I want to do.

#4710 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Has anyone else noticed that Cold Ethyl mode is different? It's like the other modes now. The descending pitch/timer is gone and you just keep landing in the crypt to score jackpots until the frenzy shots and then the hurry up shot occurs. Also, is the animation of Cold Ethyl's face rotting completely off new? Or did I just miss it before? It's nasty!

Animation is new.
I still get the decreasing tone for the super jackpot, though.

#4711 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Animation is new.
I still get the decreasing tone for the super jackpot, though.

I'm not talking about the descending pitch at the hurry up shot at end of mode, but the one that occurred for the super jackpot shot into crypt - just to be clear. I haven't gotten it since the update.

#4712 3 years ago

My initial reaction on the update was that the game is far more polished overall. It feels more grown up, if that makes sense. It's the code that should have been released with the game tbh. There are much smaller tweaks still to fix, but I can live with this update as is. The light show is especially amazing. I can't get over how awesome it is.

#4713 3 years ago

I hope in the future the weapons will have additional uses like zacaj suggests. Zombie could have 2 or 3 shots lit that scroll back an forth as another example. They were just implemented so we will just have to see how they progress. Hook me up with some weapons as mystery awards too

For Ethel if I shoot the ball back up top and relock it I get the descending tone for super jackpot but if I hit the crypt the necessary 3 shots from the bottom I do not get it. Just goes into frenzy then hurry up

#4714 3 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

New shaker motor integration is awesome.

I don't have the shaker motor. Can somebody with the shaker expand on this? I'm curious about adding one and I heard that this update was supposed to integrate it a bit more.

#4715 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I'm not talking about the descending pitch at the hurry up shot at end of mode, but the one that occurred for the super jackpot shot into crypt - just to be clear. I haven't gotten it since the update.

Yeah, that's what I'm meaning. I've gotten it. Heck, I'll see if I can record it tonight..

#4716 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I don't have the shaker motor. Can somebody with the shaker expand on this? I'm curious about adding one and I heard that this update was supposed to integrate it a bit more.

It's a must have! But I don't know if it was integrated more since last update or not. It's especially awesome when Frank mode starts and he is rising up on the screen while the shaker is rumbling away!

#4717 3 years ago

So, once you collect an item and then drain, do you loose the item or not?

#4718 3 years ago

I like my shaker and it's integration with the new code. I also play it with the sound cranked, so honestly it's always rumbling to some degree. I replaced my fan today with Pin Monk's plug and play fan, so much quieter. I have to adjust my level some because it the left ramp will SDTM about every time. Also my magnet has worked (it did before the update) 100% of the time on the original settings, it will even make a shot for me at times.

#4719 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

So, once you collect an item and then drain, do you loose the item or not?

You do not lose the item. It's stored until you get to the monster.

#4720 3 years ago

Who knows what the resolution of the display is?

#4721 3 years ago

1366x768 pixels

Quoted from dnaman:

Who knows what the resolution of the display is?

#4723 3 years ago

Note that the videos are upscaled..

#4724 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Note that the videos are upscaled..

To what?

#4725 3 years ago

'from what' is probably a better question...

Are they still upscaled in the new code, just less so?

#4726 3 years ago

Just updated my game. Played a few games And didn’t collect Any weapons. How do you find these so called weapons?

#4727 3 years ago
Quoted from Twilight1:

Just updated my game. Played a few games And didn’t collect Any weapons. How do you find these so called weapons?

See Coyote instructions. There’s only 3 monsters at first. It makes you much more aware of which you choose if you want the benefit of the weapons. Really a whole new game. I love the updates from Spooky’s coders! First ACNC and today R&M!

#4728 3 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

See coyote instructions. There’s only 3 monsters at first. It makes you much more aware of which you choose if you want the benefit of the weapons. Really a whole new game. I love the updates from Spooky’s coders! First ACNC and today R&M!

Thanks this game is very new to me still. Didn’t under stand what that list was for. Now making way more sense.

#4729 3 years ago

Fixed my servo - what a PITA, and yes I watched the video. Not enough clearance between the ramp and the wooden 'back' with the LEDs. Had to unscrew 3/4 of the screws holding the metal bit under the ramp - not all the way mind you - to make clearance to put the assembled servo and diverter. There was no way to unscrew the diverter when it was mounted to the servo, period.

Anyhow, whining off - Frank and diverter are working well, but when releasing the multball, the right ball 'hangs' on top of the ramp. I'm not sure that altering the servo to raise Frank higher would work as it looks like there's not much space from Frank's head to the glass.

Anyone else have a tip?

TIA.

#4730 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Fixed my servo - what a PITA, and yes I watched the video. Not enough clearance between the ramp and the wooden 'back' with the LEDs. Had to unscrew 3/4 of the screws holding the metal bit under the ramp - not all the way mind you - to make clearance to put the assembled servo and diverter. There was no way to unscrew the diverter when it was mounted to the servo, period.
Anyhow, whining off - Frank and diverter are working well, but when releasing the multball, the right ball 'hangs' on top of the ramp. I'm not sure that altering the servo to raise Frank higher would work as it looks like there's not much space from Frank's head to the glass.
Anyone else have a tip?
TIA.

That's funny. It was super easy on mine. But I had clearance. It's the easiest of all the servos to replace.
- What's your pitch set at? (check it at top, center and bottom of playfield, not glass. Use an inclinometer. Don't trust bubble on pinball machine).
- Is it level side to side? (I use a torpedo level to check side to side).
- Are you running the latest code? (An older version of code had a bug that didn't maintain Frank servo height parameters, so he didn't always come up high enough).
If Frank goes too high, his head should hit the playfield glass channel strip above him, not the glass (this will burn out servo). But I can't imagine ball not clearing the ramp before his head hits.

#4731 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

Anyone else have a tip?
TIA.

I had a similar issue. Moving the castle wall forward a little helps but looks aesthetically less pleasing. The other thing I did was put one of those sticky foam pads where the ball sits (similar to what you might put under furniture to protect your floor) so that the ball is resting in a higher position. When Frank rises the ball is high enough to now clear the top of the ramp.

#4732 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

That's funny. It was super easy on mine. But I had clearance. It's the easiest of all the servos to replace.
- What's your pitch set at? (check it at top, center and bottom of playfield, not glass. Use an inclinometer. Don't trust bubble on pinball machine).
- Is it level side to side? (I use a torpedo level to check side to side).
- Are you running the latest code? (An older version of code had a bug that didn't maintain Frank servo height parameters, so he didn't always come up high enough).
If Frank goes too high, his head should hit the playfield glass channel strip above him, not the glass (this will burn out servo). But I can't imagine ball not clearing the ramp before his head hits.

I don't think I'm making myself clear enough - the 'bridge' - the MDF piece that has the decal that runs the entire width of the playfield with the 'back' lights on it is right over the back ramp with the diverter. Right over the screw holding the diverter into the servo.

In the exact wrong position to take the screw out of the diverter. Nothing to do with leveling the PF at all. The 'bridge' is secured to the PF with glue or other - I didn't decide to fight it as it did not look to be secured with fastners.

It may very well be that the ramp is not positioned correctly or there's something underneath it put there by prior owners, but I did not see it. Looked generic and original to me.

Frank looked to be positioned in front of the glass channel on my game.

#4733 3 years ago
Quoted from Marvello:

I had a similar issue. Moving the castle wall forward a little helps but looks aesthetically less pleasing. The other thing I did was put one of those sticky foam pads where the ball sits (similar to what you might put under furniture to protect your floor) so that the ball is resting in a higher position. When Frank rises the ball is high enough to now clear the top of the ramp.

That might be the best low-tech and functionally correct answer. I think I will try that.

#4734 3 years ago
Quoted from pb456:

I don't think I'm making myself clear enough - the 'bridge' - the MDF piece that has the decal that runs the entire width of the playfield with the 'back' lights on it is right over the back ramp with the diverter. Right over the screw holding the diverter into the servo.
In the exact wrong position to take the screw out of the diverter.

Like i said, I had clearance to get to the screw (but it was tight). So apparently all machines aren't the same then or maybe last owner did alter something. Your components are positioned differently. It sounds like everything is slightly forward.

#4735 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

'from what' is probably a better question...
Are they still upscaled in the new code, just less so?

Stored on the system as 684x384.

#4736 3 years ago

Ok gang let’s get real! Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle is a very cool hard game. I’ve had it in my house since December and it had made me so much better. Other games seem much easier now. Ball control is an absolute must and you feel like a sharp shooter being able to how the shot accurately. Those orbits, the most important shots in the game, are the most challenging. Where would you say the orbits are on the flipper? To me it seems to be on the top once you’ve had the ball completely craddled. What do you folks think?

#4737 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Ok gang let’s get real! Alice Cooper’s Nightmare Castle is a very cool hard game. I’ve had it in my house since December and it had made me so much better. Other games seem much easier now. Ball control is an absolute must and you feel like a sharp shooter being able to how the shot accurately. Those orbits, the most important shots in the game, are the most challenging. Where would you say the orbits are on the flipper? To me it seems to be on the top once you’ve had the ball completely craddled. What do you folks think?

ACNC taught me that I suck! And I still suck!

#4738 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

ACNC taught me that I suck! And I still suck!

"Weeeeeeeell, doggies!"

#4739 3 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

I can say with 100% certainty that for me the solution for my magnet was to 'cut out' the in-line resistor as per Spooky and I found that for the front magnet you don't even have to take off the glass and pull up the PF.
Open the coin door, locate the resistor near the front left of the underside of the PF and cut the Orange/Purple wire from both sides of the resistor. As these two wire ends need to be reconnected, I cut them back to shorten the overall length. Strip both ends of the wires slip on a short piece of heat shrink tubing, twist the exposed wire together, solder and slide the heat shrink over and heat it up. Turn the game on and adjust in the settings if necessary. I've left mine set to Resistor ON (seems to be suggested) and ORIGINAL pattern. The ball is held and now thrown well up an into the playfield. I haven't tried the other patterns but will try just to see if they change the pattern. Original for me goes straight up, even into the scoop (left of the monster mode targets).
Next time I have the playfield raised I will cut out the rear magnet resistor.
Here are some pics, if that helps.[quoted image][quoted image]

Huh! I have no resistor there. I could take a pic, but it would just show the same portion of the board but no resistor... I guess I'll contact Spooky!

#4740 3 years ago

Hey guys, I just fixed my servo issue but now my left flipper doesn’t work?! I can across through menus with it but it doesn’t work when I play in a game? Please help!!!

#4741 3 years ago
Quoted from WombatPinball:

Hey guys, I just fixed my servo issue but now my left flipper doesn’t work?! I can across through menus with it but it doesn’t work when I play in a game? Please help!!!

Have you made sure the wires are still on the coil? This sounds a lot like one of my famous "broke something while fixing something else" moments...

#4742 3 years ago
Quoted from jitneystand1:

Have you made sure the wires are still on the coil? This sounds a lot like one of my famous "broke something while fixing something else" moments...

All wires are good. Thanks to the tech Chris at Spooky for helping me trace it to a blow 250v slo-blo fuse....never fails. As soon as I get it all working again, bam another issue. And of course I don’t have the right size fuse to make the fix.

#4743 3 years ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Huh! I have no resistor there. I could take a pic, but it would just show the same portion of the board but no resistor... I guess I'll contact Spooky!

There is a possibility that it might be mounted in a different location but it wouldn't be far from the coil if it is there on yours. If you don't have one definitely reach out to them, they are great to work with.

#4744 3 years ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

Quoted from dnaman:

There is a possibility that it might be mounted in a different location but it wouldn't be far from the coil if it is there on yours. If you don't have one definitely reach out to them, they are great to work with.

Resistors only exist in the first half run of the games. THey removed it from the bottom magnet in later games. If you don't have one, then.. you don't have one.

Also - I strongly recommend **NOT** cutting out the REAR magnet's resistor, if yours has one! These magnets can get rather hot, and the resistor helps keep that power usage down (=less heat generated). There should be absolutely no reason to cut out the rear magnet's resistor.

#4745 3 years ago

Could someone sticky the instructions for getting the new weapons?

#4746 3 years ago

Hit the drac standup when it’s flashing (happens when you’re in a room with a weapon).

#4747 3 years ago

I created a reference table pdf for the Room/Monster/Weapon info previously posted by @coyote:

ACNC Rooms and Weapons.pdfACNC Rooms and Weapons.pdf

#4748 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I created a reference table pdf for the Room/Monster/Weapon info previously posted by coyote:
[quoted image]

Awesome, well done! Thank you!

#4749 3 years ago

Need the item list as an instruction card now

#4750 3 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I created a reference table pdf for the Room/Monster/Weapon info previously posted by coyote:
[quoted image]

I hope they incorporate animation to show the weapon being used. At the moment. A small static image appears. It would be awesome to have the game pause prior to multiball a few sec longer to show - say - a zombie being chainsawed in half!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 95 of 160.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/95?hl=superhawk2300 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.