(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,999 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by pinballM
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,999 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 160.
#4501 3 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Since the latest release, having an issue with the crypt lock. Start game, Crypt lock goes up/down .. can even score 2.5 million before launching the first ball. Anyone else had this ‘Spooky’ behavior.

Mine was doing that when I first got it. Had to pull on the drop target bracket underside to get it to align properly with respect to the opto behind it.
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I haven't really stayed up on these things... Is that Pinstadium lighting in your game? It's awesome.

#4502 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

Is that Pinstadium lighting in your game? It's awesome

Yes. My first game to have PinStadium lighting. It does help with this game as I find it a bit dark in a dark room. If you go with PinStadium, I would avoid the Fusion. There is not a way to tie them in.

And thank you for the information on the fix!

#4503 3 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

Yes, there is a nice gloss finish

Then take my money too

#4504 3 years ago

Anybody buy the plug and play fan that PinMonk made?

I'm thinking about getting it. Fan noise is a big complaint of mine on my ACNC.

Part: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03720-spooky-multimorphic-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit
Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans

EDIT: I bought it. Price and upside is too good to pass up. I also need something to do. I'm a little weary of opening up the power supply though, I've never done that. Yes I'll unplug and let sit & turn on the game to get the residual power used up before I open it. I still want to know if anyone has installed it yet and what complications I may encounter?

#4505 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Anybody buy the plug and play fan that vireland made?
Part: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1170-pin-monk/03720-spooky-multimorphic-plug-n-play-quiet-fan-kit
Thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/replacing-stern-spike-noisy-ps-fans
EDIT: I bought it. Price and upside is too good to pass up. I also need something to do. I'm a little weary of opening up the power supply though, I've never done that. Yes I'll unplug and let sit & turn on the game to get the residual power used up before I open it. I still want to know if anyone has installed it yet and what complications I may encounter?

As long as you follow the instructions step by step, it should be easy peasy. The only place that's a little irritating is having to take off the wires from the wire blocks on the power supply (Stern has these going to a molex connector, so it's much less hassle to disconnect) and making sure the label on the fan points the proper direction. Also, using a magnetic screwdriver makes it less likely you'll drop the tiny screws holding the circuit board when you have to remove them to move the board.

Post how it goes when you're done! I've only done Rob Zombies and TNA in testing (but they all use the same power supply).

#4506 3 years ago

Unrelated to power-supplies, some things I have learned about game development from Spooky here that I always took for granted from Stern/Midway:
1. Have "ramp made" switches. For software programming, this makes things a lot easier to plan for.
2. Have EOS switches. Nothing pisses a player (me) off more than having a hard-rolling ball hit a flipper hard enough to cause the hold coil to release its grip.
3. Where you have two more more flippers on a single button (upper, lower), have a staged flipper switch. Seriously - I never reliaze how much I depend on them more so than after playing Alice.

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. Heh.

#4507 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Anybody buy the plug and play fan that vireland made?

I haven't installed the quiet fan on my ACNC yet, but I did install one on my KISS prem. The only concern I had was the portion where you have to cut the power supply line out of the foam insulation. I'm not sure if the Spooky supply is setup the same way, but the instructions were pretty scary saying, "Don't disturb these two spots (right next to where you had to cut) or your game may not turn back on". That said, all in all it was pretty easy. Just read through the instructions before starting and follow closely. Go slow and be careful.

One last thought, I did the install on a cold day (I'm guessing my basement was 60-65 degrees). When testing it took a LONG time for the power supply to heat up enough to turn on. I played several 4 player games, playing non-stop for almost 45 mins trying to get it to turn on (very close to the 1 hour limit when you should shut the game off). That really freaked me out, but it all worked out in the end. Just a bit nerve racking lol

#4508 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Unrelated to power-supplies, some things I have learned about game development from Spooky here that I always took for granted from Stern/Midway:
1. Have "ramp made" switches. For software programming, this makes things a lot easier to plan for.
2. Have EOS switches. Nothing pisses a player (me) off more than having a hard-rolling ball hit a flipper hard enough to cause the hold coil to release its grip.
3. Where you have two more more flippers on a single button (upper, lower), have a staged flipper switch. Seriously - I never reliaze how much I depend on them more so than after playing Alice.
I'm sure there's more, but that's all I can think of right now. Heh.

Stage flipping would be massively helpful during if playing the Alice Cooper mode or Vampire during Crypt MB.

#4509 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Stage flipping would be massively helpful during if playing the Alice Cooper mode or Vampire during Crypt MB.

Seems like this would be an easy mod to wire up if a small software change was made. Spooky, please! The lack of stage flipping kills me on this game during so many modes.

#4510 3 years ago

They did add the staged flipper to rick and morty so they are improving going forward but it would be nice if we could add it into ACNC.

The ramp made switch is another interesting one that I hadn't thought about. I always thought the Frank lock would be improved if the locked ball rested on the switch keeping it closed

#4511 3 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Yup, not having the flipper staged on Alice is B.S. Even though I suck at using staging. On Alice it should be obvious that it's needed!

#4512 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

They did add the staged flipper to rick and morty so they are improving going forward but it would be nice if we could add it into ACNC.
The ramp made switch is another interesting one that I hadn't thought about. I always thought the Frank lock would be improved if the locked ball rested on the switch keeping it closed

Does R&M have an EOS in the lower flippers? Or do they have some other method for staging?

#4513 3 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Does R&M have an EOS in the lower flippers? Or do they have some other method for staging?

Staging needs a secondary switch on the flipper button. No EOS needed

#4514 3 years ago

Many have been waiting for Alice mods for awhile, so I wanted to show that they have in fact been in the works between Elvira runs, amongst other mod work (as many know, I've had a significant backlog on Elvira since January [and a mental health break after my fiancee left me]).

To be efficient, I've been making the Alice mods in runs for all of the orders, and the labs are currently being worked on, and take by far the most time to complete. Some non-lab orders shipped last week, and other non-lab orders should ship tomorrow when I check the rest of my order list (with several hundred mods ordered in 2020, it's been hard to keep track).

Should be shipping most orders this week.

I appreciate everyone's patience thus far.

20200511_133753 (resized).jpg20200511_133753 (resized).jpg

#4515 3 years ago

I want to say Scott mentioned R&M has EOS switches as well but I cant find the post now

#4516 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Staging needs a secondary switch on the flipper button. No EOS needed

Unless it’s early Bally style that uses a secondary eos as the “flipper” switch instead of a secondary flipper button switch.

#4517 3 years ago
Quoted from mjalexan:

Unless it’s early Bally style that uses a secondary eos as the “flipper” switch instead of a secondary flipper button switch.

That wouldn't be stageable then?

#4518 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

That wouldn't be stageable then?

ohh duhh, you're right

#4519 3 years ago

Re: Stanging - wouldn't be that difficult - code would be the hardest part, honestly!

Also had the most freakin' AWESOME Frankenstein start last night:
Ball 1 was locked. All hits were needed for to light Lab Lock 2 light. I shoot the ball up the LEFT ramp - it flies up and around, and hits the *back* of the drop tarteg hard enough to cause it to drop - and bounce back. As the ball flies back UP the ramp, the diverter opens and Frankenstein is started. Yeeess..

#4520 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

I'd be in for any of these mods if we can convince Spooky to have it added in code. We could offer to cover our own hardware costs.

#4521 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I haven't installed the quiet fan on my ACNC yet, but I did install one on my KISS prem. The only concern I had was the portion where you have to cut the power supply line out of the foam insulation. I'm not sure if the Spooky supply is setup the same way, but the instructions were pretty scary saying, "Don't disturb these two spots (right next to where you had to cut) or your game may not turn back on". That said, all in all it was pretty easy. Just read through the instructions before starting and follow closely. Go slow and be careful.
One last thought, I did the install on a cold day (I'm guessing my basement was 60-65 degrees). When testing it took a LONG time for the power supply to heat up enough to turn on. I played several 4 player games, playing non-stop for almost 45 mins trying to get it to turn on (very close to the 1 hour limit when you should shut the game off). That really freaked me out, but it all worked out in the end. Just a bit nerve racking lol

There's no silicone goo on the Spooky power supplies. Aside from the annoyance of having to loosen the whole circuit board to get it out of the way to remove the fan, it's actually a less fraught install.

The warning is supposed to slow people down in that spot for the Spike 500W power supply. It's not THAT delicate, but it's the one point where you can really screw up the install. It's worked. Zero people have failed the installation to date.

The newer Spike 500W meanwell power supplies seem to have done away with that silicone glob. Stranger Things' power supply doesn't have it.

#4522 3 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I've had a significant backlog on Elvira since January [and a mental health break after my fiancee left me]).
To be efficient

I'm really sorry to hear about your fiancée.
But, your Elvira mods are awesome too! I can see why you're back logged..

#4523 3 years ago

As far as noisy fans on power supplies, just hang in there fellas. When you hit your 50's, you ain't gonna hear it much any more. At least not enough to bother you.

#4524 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

As far as noisy fans on power supplies, just hang in there fellas. When you hit your 50's, you ain't gonna hear it much any more. At least not enough to bother you.

Really depends on ambient noise in the room. The spooky ones being on all the time is especially irritating. I'm in my 50s and it drives me nuts in seconds. But, in an arcade or loud bar, I could see where it wouldn't be a concern most of the time.

#4525 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Really depends on ambient noise in the room. The spooky ones being on all the time is especially irritating. I'm in my 50s and it drives me nuts in seconds. But, in an arcade or loud bar, I could see where it wouldn't be a concern most of the time.

Or be deaf in one ear like me and other ear not so good. But even so, my game room has noise. Music in the back round and people talking. Can't imagine this being a problem especially when playing. But then again, my hearing sucks bad! I envy those who notice it. Take care of your ears!

#4526 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Noisy power supplies drive me nuts, but my dad told me, "maybe they made them noisy so you know they are working." Another "old guys" perspective haha

#4527 3 years ago

Code update day!

https://www.spookypinball.com/acncupdate/ac-gamecode.pkg

12/MAY/2020
V1.1.0.1
General - Easy/Medium/HArd removed. Get now progressively gets harder
General - Animations are being reencoded for higher resolution and clarity
General - Menu settings font size changed
General - Menu settings replay incremental value now uses millions
General - Bonus credits were not being added
General - Ball save timers obey whats in settings
General - Ball search better handles left castle lock missed switch situation
General - Menu system ball drain on save issue resolved
General - Getting only a mode highscore would not reset the autoend timer properly
General - Upper lane switch animations added
General - Traveling out of kitchen to laboratory was marked as an invalid travel in error
General - Score display using wrong images after BDB started for a player
General - Coil test working again. Start to run repeated test, menu button to immidiately test fire coil
General - Skillshot hit to front drop target with ball lock would not start crypt mode
General - LED system was updating too fast
General - Skillshot quick animation transitions better to main display
Wolf - Display updated with wrong screen after shotgun load
Status - Normal game display is now one of the displays
Alice - 3rd chop wasn't telling left scoop to ignore frenzy shot if ball takes subway
BDB - Combo effects removed while in mode
BDB - Ramps would double trigger on slow roll
BDB - upper lane save routine was overriding multiplier light
BDB - "THE TOWER" missing when cashout timer was running
Crypt - Crypt music now plays after monster hurryup is crypt mode is still running
Ethyl - Frenzy jackpot animations added
Igor - Playfield eyes pulse in conjunction with direction
Fly - You now hear buzzing coming from a room
Items - Rooms now have items to collect depending on the monster you are locked to

#4528 3 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

Items - Rooms now have items to collect depending on the monster you are locked to

Excited about the update, but REALLY happy about this!!!

#4529 3 years ago

Hot damn. My son and I have been eagerly awaiting this!

#4530 3 years ago

Do the items do anything yet, or are they just collectable right now?

#4531 3 years ago

YEAH! I'm gonna install now.

Code update day!Items - Rooms now have items to collect depending on the monster you are locked to

Whaaat!? YES!

#4532 3 years ago

Oh great - thank you team Spooky !!

#4533 3 years ago

#4534 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Do the items do anything yet, or are they just collectable right now?

Items should be useful, otherwise what's the point?

#4535 3 years ago
Quoted from bkerins:

Items should be useful, otherwise what's the point?

You mean I've got to PLAY my pinball machine? Ugh

Maybe I'll stream some castle exploration tonight....

#4536 3 years ago

I love that pesky Alicefly!

#4537 3 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Noisy power supplies drive me nuts, but my dad told me, "maybe they made them noisy so you know they are working." Another "old guys" perspective haha

The SE-600-48 power supply in Spooky machines has built in throttling that reduces power gradually if it gets too hot until it finally just shuts off. You'll know if it's not working.

Here's the chart. It throttles MUCH sooner than the version of the power supply from the same manufacturer Stern uses. Spooky's starts to throttle at 104 degrees, while Stern's doesn't to that until 122 degrees.

Spooky-Multimorphic SE-600-48_temp_graph (resized).jpgSpooky-Multimorphic SE-600-48_temp_graph (resized).jpg
#4538 3 years ago

Code update day!
https://www.spookypinball.com/acncupdate/ac-gamecode.pkg
12/MAY/2020
V1.1.0.1
General - Easy/Medium/HArd removed. Get now progressively gets harder
General - Animations are being reencoded for higher resolution and clarity
General - Menu settings font size changed
General - Menu settings replay incremental value now uses millions
General - Bonus credits were not being added
General - Ball save timers obey whats in settings
General - Ball search better handles left castle lock missed switch situation
General - Menu system ball drain on save issue resolved
General - Getting only a mode highscore would not reset the autoend timer properly
General - Upper lane switch animations added
General - Traveling out of kitchen to laboratory was marked as an invalid travel in error
General - Score display using wrong images after BDB started for a player
General - Coil test working again. Start to run repeated test, menu button to immidiately test fire coil
General - Skillshot hit to front drop target with ball lock would not start crypt mode
General - LED system was updating too fast
General - Skillshot quick animation transitions better to main display
Wolf - Display updated with wrong screen after shotgun load
Status - Normal game display is now one of the displays
Alice - 3rd chop wasn't telling left scoop to ignore frenzy shot if ball takes subway
BDB - Combo effects removed while in mode
BDB - Ramps would double trigger on slow roll
BDB - upper lane save routine was overriding multiplier light
BDB - "THE TOWER" missing when cashout timer was running
Crypt - Crypt music now plays after monster hurryup is crypt mode is still running
Ethyl - Frenzy jackpot animations added
Igor - Playfield eyes pulse in conjunction with direction
Fly - You now hear buzzing coming from a room

Removed the usb and rebooted the game feels like it’s been at this screen for like 10 minutes. Is that correct? Does the update take a long time ?

EAFD6DAC-7424-4E4E-BAAD-7410CD7EF17D (resized).jpegEAFD6DAC-7424-4E4E-BAAD-7410CD7EF17D (resized).jpeg
#4539 3 years ago

Per Spooky FB

Screenshot (45) (resized).pngScreenshot (45) (resized).png
#4540 3 years ago

Hmm now the games gi lights on the playing field is one but completely dead everywhere else. Does seem normal or should I just power off again?

7DE04054-C965-47A8-8733-0E638A2065F5 (resized).jpeg7DE04054-C965-47A8-8733-0E638A2065F5 (resized).jpeg
#4541 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Removed the usb and rebooted the game feels like it’s been at this screen for like 10 minutes. Is that correct? Does the update take a long time ?[quoted image]

I had that happen the last time I updated my game, I redownloaded the code and then reinstalled it. Make sure the code download doesn’t have a (1), or any other number dictating a redownload after it. That seemed to work for me. Hope this helps!

#4542 3 years ago

Gnrwarkfc That is not normal. I just updated and the game booted as fast as normal.

#4543 3 years ago

Try the update again. you crashed down to the OS layer.

Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Hmm now the games gi lights on the playing field is one but completely dead everywhere else. Does seem normal or should I just power off again?
[quoted image]

#4544 3 years ago

Every update is like a suprise Christmas...

This evening should be fun!

#4545 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Removed the usb and rebooted the game feels like it’s been at this screen for like 10 minutes. Is that correct? Does the update take a long time ?[quoted image]

Turn gane off, then on again.

Seriously. If tailgate failed you will know about it after the reboot.

#4546 3 years ago

Well, so far I’ve found a whip - to use on poor Igor I think. Then I drained.

#4547 3 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

definitely reboot the game with the USB drive in it and let it do the update again.

if you have any issues shoot me an email

[email protected]

#4548 3 years ago

Hey Fawz,
I thought you were going to put back that little light show that occurred when Multiplier X target was hit? That was cool. I miss that.

#4549 3 years ago
Quoted from Silkenone:

Well, so far I’ve found a whip - to use on poor Igor I think. Then I drained.

How did you know? I haven't found anything yet?

#4550 3 years ago

Finally got it downloaded. There was an error on my first attempt.

Some cool new graphics and some lights appear to be different colors. I like the changes. I completed a mode and in doing so the whole thing turned bright red. Caught me off guard. Not sure if that was supposed to happen or if I've never really noticed it before, but I loved it.

When Cold Ethyl was selected -- not started -- there was a bee with her face on it flying around the screen. Very cool.

I like the bonus X graphics too.

I think I found an error? Not sure though. I completed Pit Creature and then during the jackpot shot the 3 green arrows the function during round 1 of put creature were glowing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 300.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 14.00
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 7,999 posts in this topic. You are on page 91 of 160.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/91 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.