(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,003 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 36 hours ago by sleepygtr
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240419_072738 (resized).jpg
20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,003 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 161.
#3601 4 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Does your switch above the drop off point register?

Just checked. Looks like what I took for it registering was the opto in the crypt directly below. So the answer is no- it's not registering. Just great. I can't figure out how to remove the castle wall scuplt that covers the switch in order to check it.

#3602 4 years ago
Quoted from KingPinGames:

since they are all the same bulb, i would remove another one and try it in the bad one's spot first. this way you will be able to determine if it is the bulb or something else.

Update on this...after reseating cables and then swapping cables between the sling bulbs, the top one ALWAYS fails to light correctly when it should be green or blue (stays pink/red). So, I am guessing that next logical step in the trouble shooting process is to order some bulbs from PBLife...

#3603 4 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

Update on this...after reseating cables and then swapping cables between the sling bulbs, the top one ALWAYS fails to light correctly when it should be green or blue (stays pink/red). So, I am guessing that next logical step in the trouble shooting process is to order some bulbs from PBLife...

Makes me wonder if the socket isn’t holding the bulb tight. Just a thought.

#3604 4 years ago
Quoted from xeneize:

correct, the next step would be to get a replacement(s) board from pinball life.

https://www.pinballlife.com/p3-roc-single-rgb-gi-pcb-assembly.html

#3605 4 years ago

Thanks KingPinGames - I have them in the cart, just need to build up a real order and I will report back!

#3606 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Welp.
I personally don't like Spooky's offered topper.

I'm just going to buy my game a top hat like Alice's.

#3607 4 years ago

This would work in the event that I want the spotlights on all the time. However, I think that it would be cheaper and easier (for someone with such skills) to create a y-adapter to attach to the GI so that the spotlights would work in unison and match the light-show. There are game effects, where the play-field is intentionally dark and I don't want to mess that up.

IMG_4761 (resized).JPGIMG_4761 (resized).JPG
#3608 4 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

This would work in the event that I want the spotlights on all the time. However, I think that it would be cheaper and easier (for someone with such skills) to create a y-adapter to attach to the GI so that the spotlights would work in unison and match the light-show. There are game effects, where the play-field is intentionally dark and I don't want to mess that up.[quoted image]

Oh ghods, no. You will blow your LED driver board.

The LED driver board can ONLY handle a max of 22mA per driver. (22mA for Red, 22mA for Blue, 22mA for Green.) You start connecting up more than one, and you run the serious risk of frying a driver and costing you.. $70 plus shipping from P-Roc / Multimorphic's website. (For full specs, see here: https://www.multimorphic.com/store/circuit-boards/pd-led/ )

#3609 4 years ago
Quoted from Yoreland:

Just checked. Looks like what I took for it registering was the opto in the crypt directly below. So the answer is no- it's not registering. Just great. I can't figure out how to remove the castle wall scuplt that covers the switch in order to check it.

There are two small screws in the front of the castle sculpt, but you may be able to adjust the switch arm without removing the sculpt.

#3610 4 years ago
Quoted from Halfwasted:

Does anyone make a decal for the speaker panel?
Plain black looks so full when compared to the spectacular art on this pin.

I'm working on designing a decal for the speaker panel. I'm about 70% done with the design, then I'll source a printer. Someone please let me know if one already exists too!

#3611 4 years ago
Quoted from ArcadeVideo:

I'm working on designing a decal for the speaker panel. I'm about 70% done with the design, then I'll source a printer. Someone please let me know if one already exists too!

I had pictured mine in the summer (not a decal, but a plastic panel with knobs, reverse decals on the back, with paint and sealer over them. and custom speaker bezels), but have only offered it to one person that was asking for one (still need to make it). At most I'll be making about 4 of these, so an insignificant amount. Didn't seem like a lot of interest, otherwise I may have looked into buying the machinery or hiring out some help to make them feasible, but instead I'll hand make a few (prototype pictured with what I had on hand, but a higher end plastic would be used).

Look forward to what you come up with
20190601_212101 (resized).jpg20190601_212101 (resized).jpg20190601_211828 (resized).jpg20190601_211828 (resized).jpg

#3612 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

I had pictured mine in the summer (not a decal, but a plastic panel with knobs, reverse decals on the back, with paint and sealer over them. and custom speaker bezels), but have only offered it to one person that was asking for one (still need to make it). At most I'll be making about 4 of these, so an insignificant amount. Didn't seem like a lot of interest, otherwise I may have looked into buying the machinery or hiring out some help to make them feasible, but instead I'll hand make a few (prototype pictured with what I had on hand, but a higher end plastic would be used).
[quoted image][quoted image]

That would probably look sweet on mine with the speaker lights and decals

#3613 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

With all the power talk, when I get home tonight - if I have the time - I am going to measure the current draw off the 5v and 12v rails on the power supply. Will post the details here. That will at least help people and let us know how close to max the *current* power supplies are being drawn. (No need to worry about the 48v supply..)

Okay, here are my findings. While I used a commercial-grade multimeter, it's intended for railroad use, so isn't calibrated to fast changes in current. (This means that there may have been some peaks higher and lower than what I have measured below, but they were short enough to where my meter couldn't or didn't read them.)

+5v Rail
3.505 amp Max
2.555 amp, all inserts/GI "Red"
2.281 amp, all inserts/GI "Green"
2.222 amp, all inserts/GI "Blue"
3.180 amp, all inserts/GI "White"
1.750 amp, all inserts/GI "Off"

+12v Rail
1.770 amp, attract mode, Backbox and Start button lit.

The max on the +5v rail occurred during bootup, likely when the computer initialized all the PRoc boards. It never got that high again while messing in the Tet Menus -> LED test.
The +12v rail was pretty steady during attract mode.

While I had the game open, I forgot to get the part number of the Mean Well power supply. However, I believe it's a +5v 5 amp, +12v 3 amp. KingPinGames can correct me if I'm wrong. This means that when peaked, the stock, game power supply only has about 1 amp worth of extra handling power on the +5v rail (to be safe).

#3614 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

(still need to make it).

Yeah, you do!

#3615 4 years ago

My first time fighting Frank more than once in the same game. The second time I had to knock down the target twice. Does the amount of times you have to knock down the target always equal the number of times you are fighting Frank?

Also noticed that in some modes (this time Frank I believe) chops don't seem to score because I did 2 chops during my Frank battle and they were not displayed in the score after the ball drained.

Is there a way to know what modes (or any other situations) don't score chops, so we don't waste the time doing them for no reason?

#3616 4 years ago
Quoted from superhawk2300:

Is there a way to know what modes (or any other situations) don't score chops, so we don't waste the time doing them for no reason?

AFAIK, Chops ONLY count when NO mode is running. This includes when Crypt Multiball is not running.

Quoted from superhawk2300:

My first time fighting Frank more than once in the same game. The second time I had to knock down the target twice. Does the amount of times you have to knock down the target always equal the number of times you are fighting Frank?

I believe yes - I've gotten to battle Frank three times once, and cannot recall now how many times I had to knock down the upper target.

#3617 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

AFAIK, Chops ONLY count when NO mode is running. This includes when Crypt Multiball is not running.

I believe yes - I've gotten to battle Frank three times
once, and cannot recall now how many times I had to knock down the upper target.

Ive also noticed the target in the back of the upper playfield will activate the drop target on the first multiball but none after

#3618 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Ive also noticed the target in the back of the upper playfield will activate the drop target on the first multiball but none after

I think it takes a few more hits of the Vampire target after the first monster multiball. Several times I have seen a big yellow target on the display and a number of hits to go, it seems to reset the count if you drop from the upper playfield.

#3619 4 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

Yeah, that's correct. I've seen that.

Quoted from twhtalm:

I think it takes a few more hits of the Vampire target after the first monster multiball. Several times I have seen a big yellow target on the display and a number of hits to go, it seems to reset the count if you drop from the upper playfield.

I don't think it resets the WHOLE count, but it DOES reset the drop target - so if you have one hit left, hit the upper drop target it will then stay down. BUT, if the ball then leaves the upper playfield, it will reset the drop target, requiring you to knock it down again. (This is, IMHO, a bug. The drop target should just stay down.)

#3620 4 years ago

Mine sold yesterday. Had fun with it, hoped to see the code finished but was not to be.

Does Spooky sell translites for this game? The backglass was cool and wouldn't mind putting a translite in a frame.

#3621 4 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Mine sold yesterday. Had fun with it, hoped to see the code finished but was not to be.
Does Spooky sell translites for this game? The backglass was cool and wouldn't mind putting a translite in a frame.

I won't be selling mine for a long time.

#3622 4 years ago

I honestly cannot believe you sold it. Bugs and code will be fixed imho. Acnc has the potential of being one of the greatest games ever. Once codes done it will be the complete package in every department. Not a clue as to what you can spend that money on that's better, but good luck.

#3623 4 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I honestly cannot believe you sold it. Bugs and code will be fixed imho. Acnc has the potential of being one of the greatest games ever. Once codes done it will be the complete package in every department. Not a clue as to what you can spend that money on that's better, but good luck.

I loved it, never had any issues so no bugs to worry about. Code doesn't fix geometry though and I found that it wasn't just my wife that thought it was too hard but also half my pinball guests. I even ran a poll of my home group just to see: Keep BKSoR LE or Alice and it was overwhelming that I should keep BK when I think Alice is the better game. People in general just don't like the difficulty Alice brings. Don't get me wrong, BKSoR will cycle out soon too, but just giving the reasons it's not bolted to the floor. We have 4 machines that will never leave the collection for reference: Dialed In LE, JJ Pirates LE, South Park, and Iron Maiden Pre. Compared to those, Alice didn't make the list of forever keepers by a long shot.

#3624 4 years ago

I loved it, never had any issues so no bugs to worry about. Code doesn't fix geometry though and I found that it wasn't just my wife that thought it was too hard but also half my pinball guests. I even ran a poll of my home group just to see: Keep BKSoR LE or Alice and it was overwhelming that I should keep BK when I think Alice is the better game. People in general just don't like the difficulty Alice brings.

I get what your saying, as the game is difficult. But when you put the time in and get the shots down it's amazing, and that difficulty is what makes me keep hitting the start button. I feel like a pinball wizard when I step away and play something different. Either way enjoy what you get with the cash...
I got elvira in my sights next.

#3625 4 years ago

Ordered a coin door with the bill slot so I can install the new headphone jack for Spooky games from Pinovators when it comes out here shortly. Bought the door and had it shipped to Robert Stone directly for his magic touch. Can't wait to get it back!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/powder-coating-services-offered/page/39#post-5442207

Since Spooky is now offering the powdercoated coin door as an upgrade option now, I will have it on my R&M from the factory. I think they will look great side by side.

#3626 4 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I get what your saying, as the game is difficult. But when you put the time in and get the shots down it's amazing, and that difficulty is what makes me keep hitting the start button. I feel like a pinball wizard when I step away and play something different. Either way enjoy what you get with the cash...
I got elvira in my sights next.

Indeed! Thank you sir. It was increasing my league game play quite a bit that's for sure.

Elvira is on my list, but I think it's a little barren. I can't get my hands on a Wonka to try it and I don't buy before I flip. I'm actually considering an X-Men LE because of the sound mods and upgrades available for it (also love the theme).

#3627 4 years ago

I loved it, never had any issues so no bugs to worry about. Code doesn't fix geometry though and I found that it wasn't just my wife that thought it was too hard but also half my pinball guests. I even ran a poll of my home group just to see: Keep BKSoR LE or Alice and it was overwhelming that I should keep BK when I think Alice is the better game. People in general just don't like the difficulty Alice brings. Don't get me wrong, BKSoR will cycle out soon too, but just giving the reasons it's not bolted to the floor. We have 4 machines that will never leave the collection for reference: Dialed In LE, JJ Pirates LE, South Park, and Iron Maiden Pre. Compared to those, Alice didn't make the list of forever keepers by a long shot.

My GF hates Alice solely because of the difficulty. By comparison her favorite game is Theatre of Magic, which is super easy to shoot. The Nightmare Castle isn't for the faint of heart for sure. Scott said he lives off the tears of pinball players, but Charlie seems to be fueled by them as well. For me the difficulty makes it that much sweeter when you get in a groove with it. It feels great to hit 2-3 orbits in a row when you're dialed in.

#3628 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

It feels great to hit 2-3 orbits in a row when you're dialed in.

Oh ghods yes.

#3629 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

My GF hates Alice solely because of the difficulty. By comparison her favorite game is Theatre of Magic, which is super easy to shoot. The Nightmare Castle isn't for the faint of heart for sure. Scott said he lives off the tears of pinball players, but Charlie seems to be fueled by them as well. For me the difficulty makes it that much sweeter when you get in a groove with it. It feels great to hit 2-3 orbits in a row when you're dialed in.</blockquote

Alice Cooper makes you a better pinball player for sure

#3630 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

If any of those four aren't spoken for, or you're gauging interest to make more, you can definitely count me in for one. I love the way this looks.

#3631 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

If any of those four aren't spoken for, or you're gauging interest to make more, you can definitely count me in for one. I love the way this looks.

Same here.

#3632 4 years ago

I'll take one.

#3633 4 years ago
Quoted from tp:

I honestly cannot believe you sold it. Bugs and code will be fixed imho. Acnc has the potential of being one of the greatest games ever. Once codes done it will be the complete package in every department.

I agree, I love the layout. It is quite ingenious the way the ramps interoperate, and then there is the fabulous upper playfield. I have a TSPP and I think that this one is better.

However, I do agree that the game is tough on my casual player friends who want more than a 20s of ball time. There are a lot of cheap drains in the outlanes so I am going to try thicker rubbers to see if that helps. I want my friends to enjoy ACNC as much as I do

#3634 4 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Quoted from Halfwasted:

I'll take one.

Would seem they're all spoken for in this case.

As many know, I'm currently swamped with Elvira orders (have gotten sick twice during the runs with lack of sleep [was up over 30 hours before shipping run #2 yesterday]). Elvira list is over 60, and I have 18 JD Towers to make as well, amongst other orders coming in. Never had this much demand at once, and I do stress over keeping everyone happy. Struggling to figure out how to juggle everything.

When I can make these, they'll likely be $150+shipping (+ a small charge if you'd want the speaker rings as shown on mine [or I could e-mail the 3D file I made for free]--the factory Alice grills should fit). They'll be made with large sheets of unbreakable (crack-proof) PET plastic and won't have the hairline crack at the corner as seen on my prototype made with standard framing plastic.

May try to start working on these as early as next week (supposed to have one done for a JD order). Would test fit each one to my game as they'll all be hand cut.

#3635 4 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

I agree, I love the layout. It is quite ingenious the way the ramps interoperate, and then there is the fabulous upper playfield. I have a TSPP and I think that this one is better.
However, I do agree that the game is tough on my casual player friends who want more than a 20s of ball time. There are a lot of cheap drains in the outlanes so I am going to try thicker rubbers to see if that helps. I want my friends to enjoy ACNC as much as I do

I generally agree with you guys. I do think the game’s code begins to show some rough edges after you’ve owned it for a while. Some of the repetitive call outs, awkward transitions, lack of exciting jackpot callouts... little bugs... hold the entire package back.

It’s almost there though.

It’s hard to believe that an original layout with great art, dynamic lighting, cool sculpts, etc can be had at its price point. Pretty amazing that some are still floating around NIB.

#3636 4 years ago
Quoted from netman63129:

This is why I own a Hobbit. It is quite an under rated awesome game once you understand it (which is easy). It's just not a good location game. Too deep and it needs to be in a home setting to experience it all. But it is a longer ball time and fascinates the casual player! Also women love this game (they got nuts shooting the four pop up beasts). It's my wife's favorite game. But killing Smaug and reaching the upper level of the wizard modes is challenging for anyone. So my point is, you need a variety in your collection. Even a small 3 pin collection like mine can offer a great variety if you choose your pins right. ACNC is a no brainer for any good collection IMHO.

#3637 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Would seem they're all spoken for in this case.
As many know, I'm currently swamped with Elvira orders (have gotten sick twice during the runs with lack of sleep [was up over 30 hours before shipping run #2 yesterday]). Elvira list is over 60, and I have 18 JD Towers to make as well, amongst other orders coming in. Never had this much demand at once, and I do stress over keeping everyone happy. Struggling to figure out how to juggle everything.
When I can make these, they'll likely be $150+shipping (+ a small charge if you'd want the speaker rings as shown on mine [or I could e-mail the 3D file I made for free]--the factory Alice grills should fit). They'll be made with large sheets of unbreakable PET plastic and won't have the hairline crack at the corner as seen on my prototype made with standard framing plastic.
May try to start working on these as early as next week (supposed to have one done for a JD order). Would test fit each one to my game as they'll all be hand cut.

Hey Greg,
I think you just need to slow down a bit mate and not stress out, no use of running yourself into the ground, people just need to be patient and wait, you make awesome mods and I don't think people would have an issue with waiting.
cheers

#3638 4 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

Hey Greg,
I think you just need to slow down a bit mate and not stress out, no use of running yourself into the ground, people just need to be patient and wait, you make awesome mods and I don't think people would have an issue with waiting.
cheers

Appreciate the sentiment, but I'll learn from it and plan releases better in the future. I had been preparing 20 finished mods before some Alice releases, but didn't do that for Elvira (Stern mods have mostly fallen flat for me [all discontinued]).

Not a bad problem to have of course (awesome to see that my work and vision for these is appreciated by so many), but when I accept funds and give a shipping estimate, I never like to fall far from it.

#3639 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Appreciate the sentiment, but I'll learn from it and plan releases better in the future. I had been preparing 20 finished mods before some Alice releases, but didn't do that for Elvira (Stern mods have mostly fallen flat for me [all discontinued]).
Not a bad problem to have of course (awesome to see that my work and vision for these is appreciated by so many), but when I accept funds and give a shipping estimate, I never like to fall far from it.

Just don't burn yourself out! We need to see your future ACNC mods that you hinted at someday, and I know that I'm praying you are a Rick and Morty fan!! Your mods are up there with my all time favorites! Your work is amazing!!

#3640 4 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

Your mods are awesome but your health comes first dude!

#3641 4 years ago

Friday code drop for weekend play?!!? Not counting on it, but it would be nice. I intend to spend a lot of time with my pins this weekend after a month of little time at home.

#3642 4 years ago
Quoted from MANTO1975:

I think you just need to slow down a bit mate and not stress out,

Medisinyl What this guy said, Greg!

Take your time, don't stress - your customers love your mods and we aren't going anywhere!
unnamed (resized).pngunnamed (resized).png

#3643 4 years ago

I'm hoping the fact that the code update has taken so long is an indicator that it will contain a ton of changes and cool new features.

#3644 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm hoping the fact that the code update has taken so long is an indicator that it will contain a ton of changes and cool new features.

Fingers crossed!

#3645 4 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Not speaking for anyone - but the focus has been creating a stable platform, to ensure no more memory resets.

Expect that.

I know how hyped everyone gets about new things - then they get disappointed when it’s not what they imagined (key word - imagined) it was going to be.

rd

#3646 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Not speaking for anyone - but the focus has been creating a stable platform, to ensure no more memory resets.
Expect that.
I know how hyped everyone gets about new things - then they get disappointed when it’s not what they imagined (key word - imagined) it was going to be.

rd

I think someone knows exactly what’s coming.

#3647 4 years ago

Doh. Sounds like minimal changes and stability.

#3648 4 years ago

The problem is - not just here, it’s in every thread on Pinside (and probably every other forum too) ...

1/ Someone says “it’d be cool if it did this”
2/ someone else agrees
3/ someone else isn’t really paying attention and sees “it’s gonna do this”
4/ it becomes a fact that we are waiting for “this”
5/ “cant wait for “this” to arrive!!”
6/ “this” never arrives as imagined and people get pissed off. Even though “this” was never a thing in the first place.

Perfect example - last weekends code drop. Lol!!

You see it over and over again. Every pin release.

People should just do what I do - never get hyped for anything, then you can’t be disappointed.

PS I just played ACNC for an hour and the new code is nice and stable. Had it running for 8 hours yesterday, no problems. You will notice some nice differences.

rd

#3649 4 years ago

Rotordave is a keen observer of human-internet behavior.

I'd like to see an update as well. Will pay more attention when it's available.

#3650 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

The problem is - not just here, it’s in every thread on Pinside (and probably every other forum too) ...
1/ Someone says “it’d be cool if it did this”
2/ someone else agrees
3/ someone else isn’t really paying attention and sees “it’s gonna do this”
4/ it becomes a fact that we are waiting for “this”
5/ “cant wait for “this” to arrive!!”
6/ “this” never arrives as imagined and people get pissed off. Even though “this” was never a thing in the first place.
Perfect example - last weekends code drop. Lol!!
You see it over and over again. Every pin release.
People should just do what I do - never get hyped for anything, then you can’t be disappointed.
PS I just played ACNC for an hour and the new code is nice and stable. Had it running for 8 hours yesterday, no problems. You will notice some nice differences.
rd

I had a code drop last Friday.
Version 1.1.0.
Your guesstimate a few posts above this are right, 're version I have.
No resets, which is good cos I had them on the 1.0.7 code.
Mystery still Adv to monster

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 14.00
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 300.00
7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,003 posts in this topic. You are on page 73 of 161.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/73?hl=mjalexan and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.