(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,002 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 20 minutes ago by darkryder
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240419_072738 (resized).jpg
20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,002 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 161.
#3101 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I hope the upcoming software update perfects and/or adds some call outs. There's quite a few moments where Alice blurts out the same thing in repetition... or a bunch of seemingly unrelated call outs are stacked one on top of another. It's those moments where the game kind of takes on a homebrew feel, rather than a manufactured machine appeal. I think I've become more sensitive to this over the months.

Just listened to an ACNC review in the latest Slam Tilt podcast episode and Ron pointed this out as one of the negatives with the game (currently at least). They also mentioned that Spooky hasn't released a code update for ACNC since v1.07 last June.

I hadn't realized this. Yikes!

#3102 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I hope the upcoming software update perfects and/or adds some call outs. There's quite a few moments where Alice blurts out the same thing in repetition... or a bunch of seemingly unrelated call outs are stacked one on top of another. It's those moments where the game kind of takes on a homebrew feel, rather than a manufactured machine appeal. I think I've become more sensitive to this over the months.

Yeah hearing "Your a regular ghost buster aren't you" after crypt multi ball every time gets stale. I think this has been suggested before but the mystery shot has no mystery to it when it's start monster mode the first time every time.

#3103 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Yeah hearing "Your a regular ghost buster aren't you" after crypt multi ball every time gets stale. I think this has been suggested before but the mystery shot has no mystery to it when it's start monster mode the first time every time.

Take your unit off easy mode and it will be a mystery.

#3104 4 years ago
Quoted from GvikenL:

I’m on “Schools out” and it’s still not random.

#3105 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Agreed. That not being randomized definitely gets stale

#3106 4 years ago
Quoted from GvikenL:

Hardest mode here- yep, it’s not random

#3107 4 years ago
Quoted from GvikenL:

It's on "school's out" setting which I'm pretty sure is default.

#3108 4 years ago

I believe spooky said Alice had recorded 570 (750?) unique sound bites for the game... it sure doesn’t seem like that many are currently integrated?

So many things to like about this game - my fingers are double and tripled crossed that they’re able to majorly polish and improve.

#3109 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Quoted from 27dnast:

Agreed. That not being randomized definitely gets stale

I't not random at all. It was posted here by one of the Spooky guys that the first award is Monster, second "2 Rooms", then "1 Room". Because of how the software (read: ion current revision) is set up, right now those are the only awards it can /ever/ give.

#3110 4 years ago

Yes it was a blown fuse for the left ramp diverter! It seems to be a bad servo on the diverter. Spooky is hooking me up with more parts at no charge, along with something i broke being an idiot which i don't need to talk about here . Customer support was great with spooky.

#3111 4 years ago

Installed my Xmas gift today. A set of Titan glow rubbers. I think it looks pretty good and the flippers are less bouncy than stock. Hope everyone is having a good Holiday

0B6FF4B8-1B50-46CF-9FAC-25DF922E0CEB (resized).jpeg0B6FF4B8-1B50-46CF-9FAC-25DF922E0CEB (resized).jpeg0B79F7C5-F706-4C2A-9AF0-615136314A2A (resized).jpeg0B79F7C5-F706-4C2A-9AF0-615136314A2A (resized).jpeg80D25BB1-4142-4510-A6E7-C3AF8AD4F7A6 (resized).jpeg80D25BB1-4142-4510-A6E7-C3AF8AD4F7A6 (resized).jpeg
#3112 4 years ago

My original center post. Almost 1000 games. Toast

E6796F69-120C-4921-AE17-30234F30B29F (resized).jpegE6796F69-120C-4921-AE17-30234F30B29F (resized).jpeg
#3113 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I't not random at all. It was posted here by one of the Spooky guys that the first award is Monster, second "2 Rooms", then "1 Room". Because of how the software (read: ion current revision) is set up, right now those are the only awards it can /ever/ give.

I think that's the point. When you hit something called Mystery Hole, and a bunch of options cycle through the screen, it would be more exciting to have radom awards awarded (whether intended or not). I can't think of many... if any... games that have a mystery scoop that issues the same awards in the same order every single game.

The entire point of a mystery award is to have something that awarded that isn't expected. No?

#3114 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I think that's the point. When you hit something called Mystery Hole, and a bunch of options cycle through the screen, it would be more exciting to have radom awards awarded (whether intended or not). I can't think of many... if any... games that have a mystery scoop that issues the same awards in the same order every single game.
The entire point of a mystery award is to have something that awarded that isn't expected. No?

Oh, I agree 100% with you. And I really like some of the awards displayed but never awarded, like "Tile Next Player".

#3115 4 years ago

Topper is awesome. I normally don’t like them too much, but the light show and movement are great. Good job, Spooky.

-Ned

B216730D-DF28-4508-A8E6-E502B20FE846 (resized).jpegB216730D-DF28-4508-A8E6-E502B20FE846 (resized).jpeg
#3116 4 years ago
Quoted from chill:

Topper is awesome. I normally don’t like them too much, but the light show and movement are great. Good job, Spooky.
-Ned[quoted image]

How much is the topper? You just order through spooky?

#3117 4 years ago

It was $300. I emailed KT and she hooked me up. Easy install. Spooky just made a quick video on it, on Youtube.

#3118 4 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

Hardest mode here- yep, it’s not random

Maybe try unplugging it then plugging it back in.

#3119 4 years ago
Quoted from MintIndeed:

The thing we haven't been able to figure out yet is, we're now getting 2 balls loaded into the shooter occasionally (about once every 6-8 balls). Doesn't seem to hurt anything, it's kind of like a "free" multiball. I've noticed a few others with this issue, but any concrete leads on how to fix it (in terms a newbie can understand)?

Mine was a simple fix...check out post #2383 for details.

#3120 4 years ago
Quoted from Dunfielder:

My original center post. Almost 1000 games. Toast[quoted image]

That’s pretty normal though. Put a standard black rubber post there, it’ll look much the same. It just doesn’t show up as much ....

Quoted from 27dnast:

Not necessarily. Most pins, if they are in Competition mode, the mystery awards are generally in order.

Bowen said that it was planned from the start that the first mystery would always be START MONSTER as for a lot of people, starting a monster is a hard thing to do. And I concur.

rd

#3121 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

That’s pretty normal though. Put a standard black rubber post there, it’ll look much the same. It just doesn’t show up as much ....

Not necessarily. Most pins, if they are in Competition mode, the mystery awards are generally in order.
Bowen said that it was planned from the start that the first mystery would always be START MONSTER as for a lot of people, starting a monster is a hard thing to do. And I concur.
rd

Competition mode is meant for just that: competing. There’s a reason it’s a mode you can put the game into... most players aren’t wanting to limit the randomness of a game when they are playing, and most pinball is played outside of a competitive environment.

The game already has the “start monster covered,” because you automatically get it on plunge #3. Kind of like mist ball on BSD, right? Which kind of makes it doubly weird... no matter what level of difficulty you’re playing, the game gives you a start monster with the mystery hole and the third ball...

I, for one, don’t play any of my pins in any sort of competition mode. The game would be more fun with some actual randomness with the scoop shoot... kind of reminds me of MET in its early days of code. MET’s mystery scoop always awarded the same thing.

#3122 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Competition mode, yes.
This game has no Competition mode (MAYBE 'Coop 2 player'?). If it's not a mystery, don't label it as 'mystery', name it the "Helping Igor", or "Helping Hand" hole.

Again, personally, I'd love to see it be a mystery. With a lot of the strange awards that are displayed:
"Go To Jail"
"Battle Igor" (maybe start Igor's monster mode, regardless of what monster is lit?)
"Battle Mummy"
"Activate Kitchen Army" (this could just be fuckin' strange.)
"Tilt Next Player" (only awarded in 2+ player games, next player gets a random amount of time before their ball tilts.)
"Add 3000 Volts" (with the new matt players stand on, can shock the current player)
"Activate Secret Mini Playfield"
"Battle Werewolf" (see above on Igor)
"Damage Monster"

And those are just the ones that are already listed in the videos that are played. Can do any number of other things, like force the next player BACK two rooms. TAKE a million points from your (or another player's) score.

IMHO, though, all of this is pudding on the cake. The other, base lever software needs work. For example, there is no software handling of bad locks. (For example - you have a drop target broken. So you can never lock a ball for Crypt Multiball. Right now, you'll never be able to START Crypt Multiball because of that. The game has an autoplunger which means that it can compensate - award you the lock, and ten the next time you shot up there, start Crypt Multiball and fire a ball out from the trough. Same with Frankenstein lock.
To me, these are more important that adding mystery awards and such.

#3123 4 years ago

I agree this mystery thing is off.

#3124 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

"Helping Hand" hole.

LOL!

#3125 4 years ago

*whistles innocently*

#3126 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Competition mode, yes.
This game has no Competition mode (MAYBE 'Coop 2 player'?). If it's not a mystery, don't label it as 'mystery', name it the "Helping Igor", or "Helping Hand" hole.
Again, personally, I'd love to see it be a mystery. With a lot of the strange awards that are displayed:
"Go To Jail"
"Battle Igor" (maybe start Igor's monster mode, regardless of what monster is lit?)
"Battle Mummy"
"Activate Kitchen Army" (this could just be fuckin' strange.)
"Tilt Next Player" (only awarded in 2+ player games, next player gets a random amount of time before their ball tilts.)
"Add 3000 Volts" (with the new matt players stand on, can shock the current player)
"Activate Secret Mini Playfield"
"Battle Werewolf" (see above on Igor)
"Damage Monster"
And those are just the ones that are already listed in the videos that are played. Can do any number of other things, like force the next player BACK two rooms. TAKE a million points from your (or another player's) score.
IMHO, though, all of this is pudding on the cake. The other, base lever software needs work. For example, there is no software handling of bad locks. (For example - you have a drop target broken. So you can never lock a ball for Crypt Multiball. Right now, you'll never be able to START Crypt Multiball because of that. The game has an autoplunger which means that it can compensate - award you the lock, and ten the next time you shot up there, start Crypt Multiball and fire a ball out from the trough. Same with Frankenstein lock.
To me, these are more important that adding mystery awards and such.

Mystery hole award: you get put in the stretch/torture device... have to hit shots to break yourself free. If you hit the wrong shot (like werewolf), you get stretched. Hit 3 or 4 wrong shots, and the game auto drains your ball with some cool light sequence, maybe splitting lights apart on top and bottom halves of the game

#3127 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Mystery hole award: you get put in the stretch/torture device... have to hit shots to break yourself free. If you hit the wrong shot (like werewolf), you get stretched. Hit 3 or 4 wrong shots, and the game auto drains your ball with some cool light sequence, maybe splitting lights apart on top and bottom halves of the game

Oh, nice.

#3128 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Really dig this idea! Along a similar line, you could have a "poisoned" award and have to hit correct timed shots to drink the anti-venom/elixer/whathaveyou.

#3129 4 years ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

Really dig this idea! Along a similar line, you could have a "poisoned" award and have to hit correct timed shots to drink the anti-venom/elixer/whathaveyou.

Something like this - and 27dnast 's idea could easily be tied to objects found in the rooms. i.e. If you happen to be in the kitchen, you maybe have a better chance at finding the antidote. (Or, better yet - you could find the antidote and keep it in your 'inventory', so that if the Mystery Hole gives you the poison award, you're off scott free.

#3130 4 years ago

Finding a silver bullet to help with werewolf mode may be nice; I always seem to have more trouble with that one than even zombie mode. I'm assuming whatever comes out in the next code update may be the final iteration. I can't see it making fiscal sense to Spooky to keep updating a game they've already sold.

#3131 4 years ago

Hopefully we get an update soon. In Spooky we trust!

#3132 4 years ago

My code wishlist:
I would really love to see items to collect within each room. For example, in the Conservatory, you could collect shovels, in the Dungeon weapons, in the lab...lab stuff, and then use them to battle the creature. They could either reduce the number of hits necessary to defeat the monster or increase the jackpots depending on the number of items collected. The rooms are too cool to be nothing other than an image on the screen, there should be something to do in them. I think dungeon is the only room with a special scoring feature in it.

I'd also love slow rising frank come back...

I'd like to be called something other than "a regular ghostbuster" all the time.

#3133 4 years ago

Since ACNC puts you in the Nightmare Castle, it would be really sweet to have some jump-scares involved. Right now, you just kind of wander through some rooms and then get to a monster.

Why not have some surprises in the rooms on occasion? They could be instant hurry up modes.

For example, the imagine you're trying to get to dracula and you're in the conservatory... it would be sweet if dracula (at random... say 15% of the time) ambushes you... and you have X amount of time to hit a lit hurry up shot to fend off the attack (or actively hide). That would make for a real rush.

Alas, I'm beginning to get the sense that we won't be seeing any massive code deviations from what ACNC already is. Maybe some tweaks, but I think the game kind of is what it is at this point. If true, that's a shame, because it has a ton of potential with its theme and layout.

#3134 4 years ago

You must all mostly be home use players only? Tilt next player or any other method (missing shots locks flippers) that causes a player to drain not on their own accord are terrible ideas. If i was paying a dollar a game to play pinball with a buddy for fun i would be pissed if either of us got "tilt next player". Its hard enough to try and get to the wizard mode(i still haven't done it on acnc) i don't need any more extra reasons to drain.

#3135 4 years ago
Quoted from KingHebes:

You must all mostly be home use players only? Tilt next player or any other method (missing shots locks flippers) that causes a player to drain not on their own accord are terrible ideas. If i was paying a dollar a game to play pinball with a buddy for fun i would be pissed if either of us got "tilt next player". Its hard enough to try and get to the wizard mode(i still haven't done it on acnc) i don't need any more extra reasons to drain.

If I'm playing against someone, and I was tilted because of that, I would laugh. Regardless of how much I paid for a game. It's part f the game, and I would enjoy it.

(And no, i haven't gotten to BDB yet either.)

#3136 4 years ago
Quoted from KingHebes:

Guess you don't like JJPOTC then...Aargh!

#3137 4 years ago

My family is the proud owner on 415! We’ve had a blast playing the game but can someone please explain cold ethyl mode?

#3138 4 years ago

I was playing Cold Ethyl mode yesterday and that big scary descending sound occurred during the mode after some successful jackpot shots and I just decided to wait and see what happened. The mode ended? This was not the normal hurry up target shot that occurs at the end of modes. Can anyone explain this?

#3139 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I was playing Cold Ethyl mode yesterday and that big scary descending sound occurred during the mode after some successful jackpot shots and I just decided to wait and see what happened. The mode ended? This was not the normal hurry up target shot that occurs at the end of modes. Can anyone explain this?

I think it’s the hurry up jackpot, but you have to hit the Danesi lock area....I think. I could be wrong though.

#3140 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I think it’s the hurry up jackpot, but you have to hit the Danesi lock area....I think. I could be wrong though.

So not the normal Hurry Up at end of mode, but another hurry up jackpot?

#3141 4 years ago

FYI everyone,
it has been said in the past that the code for room items etc. is already done and in the game code but just not implemented yet until other problems are sorted.

#3142 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

So not the normal Hurry Up at end of mode, but another hurry up jackpot?

Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I believe you're referring to Ethyl's "Super Jackpot".

After you get two balls up there, you have multiball going. If you shoot up into the Mini PF, and let it drain into the Crypt, it will "catch" the ball (MAY also do this if you shoot the Crpyt Directly, not 100% sure). The arrow will light up in a pattern, and you have a limited amount of time to get the OTHER ball up there. (For me, it's easier to shoot the Mini PF.) The tone will drop, and if you don't get it up there fast enough, it'll release the held ball, making you start over. If you get it up there, you'll get a super jackpot.

#3143 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I believe you're referring to Ethyl's "Super Jackpot".
After you get two balls up there, you have multiball going. If you shoot up into the Mini PF, and let it drain into the Crypt, it will "catch" the ball (MAY also do this if you shoot the Crpyt Directly, not 100% sure). The arrow will light up in a pattern, and you have a limited amount of time to get the OTHER ball up there. (For me, it's easier to shoot the Mini PF.) The tone will drop, and if you don't get it up there fast enough, it'll release the held ball, making you start over. If you get it up there, you'll get a super jackpot.

That makes sense! Awesome!!
Thanks!!

#3144 4 years ago

The strange thing is that I was able to figure that out.

But then, I **STILL** cannot figure out what the "Runs" are on the high score table. Sometimes I beat my old one, get to enter in my initials.

What the hell is a 'Run'?

#3145 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

The strange thing is that I was able to figure that out.
But then, I **STILL** cannot figure out what the "Runs" are on the high score table. Sometimes I beat my old one, get to enter in my initials.
What the hell is a 'Run'?

Do you mean the speed run times?Basically how fast you finish a mode. Default is 240 sec on all of them. And all modes have speed run records. I like it. Something else to compete over!

#3146 4 years ago
Quoted from FilamentPrinting:

Hey all,
If you haven't seen me before, I've been making some coindoor button replacement mods. I was trying my hand at one for ACNC, and just thought I'd leave a pic to see if you all had any feedback. Thanks much for your thoughts!
[quoted image]

Love these! I want to order a set - tho right now we are working on updates to our TAF machine.

The only feedback I have would be greater contrast between the black and background if possible.

#3147 4 years ago
Quoted from Dunfielder:

Do you mean the speed run times?Basically how fast you finish a mode. Default is 240 sec on all of them. And all modes have speed run records. I like it. Something else to compete over!

Ah! Okay! I had no idea what that meant. Thank you!

#3148 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Ah! Okay! I had no idea what that meant. Thank you!

Ya, I suck at Zombi speed run! I still have yet to top the default score on that one. Takes me forever to get them all. And the Zombi that stares at you from display is freaky as hell!

#3149 4 years ago

Most people here will already have set up theirs, but in case some people buy a Spooky as their first machine, I've added an article to the pinball 101 part about setting up a nib Spooky : http://www.flippers.be/basics/101_nib_spooky_1.html

#3150 4 years ago

Loving Alice #405! Still in my dining room.

Anyone else having the following issue? Did a Pinside search and didn't find anything similar:

Pit Creature mode was going and I triggered (unintentionally- I'm not that good) Crypt Multiball. Great, right! Twice the balls to hide. Well, somehow I got the Pit Creature time to -.1 That's right, negative point one.

Therefore, no matter how many green shots I hit, I couldn't get to zero, complete the mode, and get the bonus award. After draining one ball, scoring was essentially frozen until I drained both balls.

Just a code glitch?

Oh, that was cool anyway!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 14.00
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 300.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 8,002 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 161.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/63?hl=vongator and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.