New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,360 posts
  • 303 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 21 hours ago by Coyote
  • Topic is favorited by 121 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 928 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

M&M_AC_SpeakerSurround_TortureChamber.jpg
IMG_4947.JPG
IMG_4946.JPG
IMG_4945.JPG
IMG_20201020_171900 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201020_172056 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201020_172116 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201015_121100 copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20201020_172001 (resized).jpg
IMG_20201020_172020 (resized).jpg
FB_IMG_1601980903720 (resized).jpg
0362988A-3464-469F-9690-8D0989A8A111 (resized).jpeg
20201015_152729 (resized).jpg
E8888404-04F2-41F9-9C86-4B936F35C715 (resized).jpeg
pb72 (resized).jpg
e4680da2c518f174084190d5345986e86dee77ad (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5360 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 108.
#2951 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I looked into OLED. Too expensive and not necessary.

Agreed. Personally, even an IPS isn't necessary. I have no issue with the one that's in the game. Plus, once I moved it down to the lower mounting holes, I can see the top of the screen now.

Quoted from 27dnast:

My crypt lock is registering hits all on its own, causing balls to launch.

The only switch that causes a Crypt Lock to happen is the opto behind the drop target. If the game sees that as being blocked, then it'll award you the lock.

For this issue, I'm 95% sure it's still a hardware issue - anything from vibrations to a bad mounting angle of the opto, to the opto starting to fail. (Hell, it COULD even be a bad switch board or wiring.) Something time-relate like this would NOT be software - *especially since they're rebooting the game code every 'x' games to fix the memory leak*.

The trough kicking out multiple balls into the shooter lane IS a software issue. And one I hope they did fix in the next release.

According to Spooky, the only thing they 'don't know' how to fix yet is the memory leak - which is why the temporary fix of rebooting the game every 'x' times is occuring.

Edit to add: Regarding Crypt - I'm meaning during normal gameplay mode. There ARE software issues with Frank Multiball and Ethyl Modes.

#2952 10 months ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

As for the crypt lock, I believe that it is an optical sensor as well as a drop target so I would check the switch menu to make sure it isn't triggering on it's own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=AQqRUonIkxs&feature=emb_logo

#2953 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Agreed. Personally, even an IPS isn't necessary. I have no issue with the one that's in the game. Plus, once I moved it down to the lower mounting holes, I can see the top of the screen now.

The only switch that causes a Crypt Lock to happen is the opto behind the drop target. If the game sees that as being blocked, then it'll award you the lock.
For this issue, I'm 95% sure it's still a hardware issue - anything from vibrations to a bad mounting angle of the opto, to the opto starting to fail. (Hell, it COULD even be a bad switch board or wiring.) Something time-relate like this would NOT be software - *especially since they're rebooting the game code every 'x' games to fix the memory leak*.
The trough kicking out multiple balls into the shooter lane IS a software issue. And one I hope they did fix in the next release.
According to Spooky, the only thing they 'don't know' how to fix yet is the memory leak - which is why the temporary fix of rebooting the game every 'x' times is occuring.
Edit to add: Regarding Crypt - I'm meaning during normal gameplay mode. There ARE software issues with Frank Multiball and Ethyl Modes.

Hi. Curious, what is the specific issue with Ethyl Mode? Last night I had Ethyl running along with Crypt Multiball. I got the ball to the UP and scored the Ethyl jackpot--then both flippers went dead. The balls drained, and the game resumed play on the next ball like nothing had happened. I didn't tilt the game so it wasn't something I did. This is probably the first time I have seen this happen. Not a show stopper and hoping it was a one off. Just wondering if that is the software issue with Ethyl.... Thanks.

#2954 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I haven’t looked yet... but there’s not a physical switch that lets the game know when the target is down or up?

#2955 10 months ago
Quoted from Cyrus:

Hi. Curious, what is the specific issue with Ethyl Mode? Last night I had Ethyl running along with Crypt Multiball. I got the ball to the UP and scored the Ethyl jackpot--then both flippers went dead. The balls drained, and the game resumed play on the next ball like nothing had happened. I didn't tilt the game so it wasn't something I did. This is probably the first time I have seen this happen. Not a show stopper and hoping it was a one off. Just wondering if that is the software issue with Ethyl.... Thanks.

Esentuially, the game will get confused on how many balls were out, should be out. I've had cases where I've LOCKED a ball in the Crypt, and it gave me a ball out of the trough - and when I drained one, I had the best single-ball multiball going. (Because the game thought thtere was still two out there.) Once I unlocked the locked Crypt ball, the game recovered when I drained.

Quoted from 27dnast:

I haven’t looked yet... but there’s not a physical switch that lets the game know when the target is down or up?

There is - but the crypt lock will treat it as locked regardless of the drop target state, and the opto is blocked for a quarter of a second or longer. And there appears to be no correction handed if the switch suddenly becomes 'unblocked' after that quarter second. But, since the opto is unblocked now, if it happens again, it just replays the Crypt Lock animation.

#2956 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Looks like I’m in the same boat as you. My crypt lock is registering hits all on its own, causing balls to launch. The game is getting confused as to how many balls are on the playfield.
I tried playing some games yesterday and the issue seemed to randomly occur. But it got to the point that the game was unplayable. Shut it off... just don’t have the time to trouble shoot at the moment.
I’m wondering if the drop target isn’t being held in the up position, mechanically, causing it to drop.
Has anyone else had any issue like this and found a fix?
Frustrating for sure. This is piling on top of some of other quirks that randomly launch balls. The thought of shutting ACNC down until the next code drop has crossed my mind... because I’m not entirely convinced the code isn’t the issue in some cases. I don’t want to chase my tail for hours (looking for mechanical causes) only to find out the code is the problem... especially since the Spooky has indicated they know there’s some other issues, but it doesn’t seem like they’re entirely clear on how to fix them...?

I think it may have been a dirty opto. I tried getting pf hits to give a false register (Spooky told me to just pull the glass, start a game, gently tap the pf with my hand all over to see if a false register would happen). I never got any false registers that way, so I then went under the pf looking for loose connections. I didn't find any. So lastly I used a Q-tip and some alcohol to clean the optos. Since then I haven't had any issues.

#2957 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

There is a physical switch at the bottom of the drop targets. It will register as opened or closed. I check this and the drop down mech when I was having issues. I did notice the drop down targets seemt to get a little hung up sometimes causing those physical switches to not be triggered. I don't know if that's happening during game play as I was just manually testing with the pf up. But it did look like it could happen.

#2958 10 months ago

Thats pretty cool, I have never had my guillotine catch the ball but we have only had a the pin for a week. I didnt even know that moved and dropped the ball. Great feature!

#2959 10 months ago

I pulled the glass... all the switches & coils seem to work fine. I played a few games, and then the issue arose.

Happened when I started a game.... the game plays sounds as if the stand up is being hit. But the stand up is down.

I tapped the playfield and that seemed to trigger it. But then it stopped happening.

Must be intermittent.

#2960 10 months ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

To everyone having issues with their game, I would urge you to email Spooky and get support through them. I'm not saying ask here, but they are very good at answering email and chances are they know what is going on.
As for the crypt lock, I believe that it is an optical sensor as well as a drop target so I would check the switch menu to make sure it isn't triggering on it's own.

I think most of us are waiting on the code update to fix most of these issues. I have only had my game for a couple of weeks and it's frustrating so I can't imagine being one of the first to get the game a year ago and still be dealing with some of these bugs and the memory leak problem. My first Spooky game so trying to be patient because when when it's firing on all cylinders it's an awesome game.

#2961 10 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

I think most of us are waiting on the code update to fix most of these issues. I have only had my game for a couple of weeks and it's frustrating so I can't imagine being one of the first to get the game a year ago and still be dealing with some of these bugs and the memory leak problem. My first Spooky game so trying to be patient because when when it's firing on all cylinders it's an awesome game.

It’s definitely a fun game when it works right

#2962 10 months ago

I thought there was a work around for the ACNC memory leak - reboot every so many games. This clears the memory and gets you playing again.

Quoted from manadams:

#2963 10 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I thought there was a work around for the ACNC memory leak - reboot every so many games. This clears the memory and gets you playing again.

The game automatically does this. It's programed to for now until problem gets resolved.

#2964 10 months ago

Spooky has been working on a code update for this and i know they will come through but i think there are so many little code variations out right now between everyone's machines and that adds to the confusion on alot of things.

Quoted from zacaj:

The game attempts to release locked balls after the ball search fails to get the ball out other ways (eg, because it's stuck on the magnet). There is a bug about it losing track of locks after releasing them in ball search, as I've reported previously, but releasing the locks to free a stuck ball that potentially is in a lock is the right thing to do

I have had a problem with balls getting lost during search so did a little testing today. On the first two ball search attempts the frank lock will not get lost. on the 3rd search attempt where the game clears the crypt, the frank lock is also forgotten by game. Part of the problem is the ball doesn't rest on the switch keeping it closed when the ball is locked but this is by design so should be able to be fixed with code.

#2965 10 months ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Yes a work around but still an issue that needs fixed.

#2966 10 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

There is a physical switch at the bottom of the drop targets. It will register as opened or closed. I check this and the drop down mech when I was having issues. I did notice the drop down targets seemt to get a little hung up sometimes causing those physical switches to not be triggered. I don't know if that's happening during game play as I was just manually testing with the pf up. But it did look like it could happen.

I had problems with two of my drops. They were not registering in down position and failing in drops diagnostic test. It turned out to be the two physical switches at bottom of drops, both failed. Spooky sent out two new switches replaced them works fine now except for code bugs mentioned above.

Definitely agree that this switch should be checked if anyone is having problems with drops not registering. Check when drop is in down that leaf activates switch. This has an adjustment if needed.

#2967 10 months ago
Quoted from dracula40:

Does anyone have an Alice F/T in the NY area? Thanks

What are you looking to trade?

#2968 10 months ago
Quoted from manadams:

I know there are code issues, but a lot of what people are describing in here don't sound like code issues to me. I've read up on what they are looking to fix and my game needs those, but it isn't doing what others are describing here, especially when it comes to crypt lock and Frankie.

#2969 10 months ago

My problem with Franky was two fold.
- First, the front crypt drop opto was not seeing the ball. This caused computer to get messed up and forget Frank ball lock. I posted the Spooky video below of how to bend the mech forward underneath the playfield to solve this problem.

- Second, there is a software bug that prevented Frank from always rising up to the proper height set in the servo menu. This was intermittent. I installed the beta code per SpookyLuke to solve this problem. Although the beta code has known issues, this issue has been fixed.

I still get a problem where ball gets lost in the trough and will not do a ball search (also being addressed), but will fire over and over at seemingly very low power and never eject a ball into the shooter lane requiring a reboot. This is rare though, but has happened a few times. ???

#2970 10 months ago

I'd like to see future code limit the ball saves (or include menu options to limit ball saves).

Hint

#2971 10 months ago
Quoted from Whridlsoncestood:

What are you looking to trade?

Black Knight SOR Premium.

#2972 10 months ago
Quoted from dracula40:

Black Knight SOR Premium.

Lol

#2974 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'd like to see future code limit the ball saves (or include menu options to limit ball saves).
Hint

Curious - limit how? The duration? When it's active?

#2975 10 months ago

Question for owners regarding this memory leak issue. After how many games goes it reboot as a temporary fix in the code? Has Spooky said when they expect it to be resolved?

#2976 10 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Question for owners regarding this memory leak issue. After how many games goes it reboot as a temporary fix in the code? Has Spooky said when they expect it to be resolved?

I've never had the reboot issue, though I do notice some lag on the display from time to time. I'm not sure if that's part of the memory issue, but I've seen Spooky saying it will be resolved with the update.

#2977 10 months ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I've never had the reboot issue, though I do notice some lag on the display from time to time. I'm not sure if that's part of the memory issue, but I've seen Spooky saying it will be resolved with the update.

Oh I thought there was a temporary "fix" that automatically rebooted the machine after a certain number of plays. When is the update expected?

#2978 10 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

by default it resets after every game, but there is a setting that will attempt to reset it when necessary. from what i understand this isn't a perfect solution because if you're in a really long game it could reset in the middle of it.

#2979 10 months ago
Quoted from Chuckwebster:

by default it resets after every game, but there is a setting that will attempt to reset it when necessary. from what i understand this isn't a perfect solution because if you're in a really long game it could reset in the middle of it.

Ok. I hope they get it fixed soon. I am getting a little nervous regarding the memory leak issue combined with the long wait for updates - just made my first Spooky purchase (R&M)

#2980 10 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Quoted from kermit24:

Oh I thought there was a temporary "fix" that automatically rebooted the machine after a certain number of plays.

Quoted from Chuckwebster:

There is no set pattern. If you have the "Settings -> Machine (Standard) -> Recycle After Game" set to 'On', then at the end of every game it will will kill and restart itself. If you have it set to "Disable", it will never restart itself. If it is set to "Off", it will check available memory at the end of every game, and if it's below a set number will kill itself.

Quoted from JustEverett:

Could be you're on a version before the auto-kill was implemented, OR, you have the above setting to 'Disable'.

Quoted from kermit24:

When is the update expected?

They're still looking at it. Once they get it, it'll be posted.

#2981 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

There is no set pattern. If you have the "Settings -> Machine (Standard) -> Recycle After Game" set to 'On', then at the end of every game it will will kill and restart itself. If you have it set to "Disable", it will never restart itself. If it is set to "Off", it will check available memory at the end of every game, and if it's below a set number will kill itself.

Could be you're on a version before the auto-kill was implemented, OR, you have the above setting to 'Disable'.

They're still looking at it. Once they get it, it'll be posted.

Thanks for the clarification. Appreciated.

#2982 10 months ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Curious - limit how? The duration? When it's active?

All of it. There's quite a few times that the game saves the ball and the insert isn't lit... but also the insert seems to light overly long. Personally, I really prefer to have ball saves limited, for the most part. But, the menu settings in that dept are pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell.

#2983 10 months ago
Quoted from kermit24:

On mine it reboots every 2-3 plays. Kinda sucks. Sucks even more that I had to find out about it after I purchased. Would think this should be disclosed before payment from the company itself.

Don't get me wrong as I love this game (my favorite in big collection)and Ill deal with it until the fix comes in as spooky customer service has promised. However code issues and memory leaks on acnc should be completely fixed before spooky puts time towards rick and morty. A satisfied customer is a returning customer.

#2984 10 months ago

I was entirely unaware of the memory leak issue. Probably about 750 plays on mine and I've never witnessed a reset. Considering how much is in this game it's really been pretty trouble free. I changed out a glitchy switch shortly after unpacking it, but since then pretty damn flawless operation here.

#2985 10 months ago
Quoted from EasternBloc:

I was entirely unaware of the memory leak issue. Probably about 750 plays on mine and I've never witnessed a reset. Considering how much is in this game it's really been pretty trouble free. I changed out a glitchy switch shortly after unpacking it, but since then pretty damn flawless operation here.

Same here, but I am running on the older 7.0 code. Seems like most peoples issues are with the various beta versions around.

#2986 10 months ago

yeah, it *IS* code-dependant.

#2987 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

All of it. There's quite a few times that the game saves the ball and the insert isn't lit... but also the insert seems to light overly long. Personally, I really prefer to have ball saves limited, for the most part. But, the menu settings in that dept are pretty much non-existent as far as I can tell.

You can adjust the time for the initial plunge, right? And turn off monster save? An adjustment for the MB ball saves would be nice. All the others seem to be related to when the game malfunctions and drains your ball (eg, from the scoop, magnet failing, or falling off the right habitrail)?

#2988 10 months ago

ACNC at the house is running the lasted released code and I am getting resets every 3-5 games, same as others. It actually works out well and lets me know when to take a breather and get another beverage. The 2-3 balls in the shooter lane is becoming more of an issue lately though. A while back it was said that the multiple shooter lane balls was caused by either too much or not enough power from the trough kicker. I tried going through the menus but could not find a power setting to play with for the kicker. Anyone know if/where there is a setting for this?

#2989 10 months ago

This video above for calibrating the guillotine worked almost perfectly. The only issue was that even at the highest setting (100), I was still getting a ball trap. I ended up bending the black metal frame downward to create a smoother surface.

During testing, I accidentally set a couple of bogus speed runs. Is there any way to reset these to the defaults without restoring to the factory defaults?

#2990 10 months ago
Quoted from twhtalm:

ACNC at the house is running the lasted released code and I am getting resets every 3-5 games, same as others. It actually works out well and lets me know when to take a breather and get another beverage. The 2-3 balls in the shooter lane is becoming more of an issue lately though. A while back it was said that the multiple shooter lane balls was caused by either too much or not enough power from the trough kicker. I tried going through the menus but could not find a power setting to play with for the kicker. Anyone know if/where there is a setting for this?

I think the setting isn't released yet, should hopefully be another part of the next update

#2991 10 months ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

As my scoop often shoots sdtm I like the ballsave..

About the reset issue, I am on 1.0.7.0 and never had a reboot..

#2992 10 months ago

Thats good info for the programmer. Perhaps he can walk back the changes from the new release and see where the trouble started.

Quoted from aeneas:

#2993 10 months ago

I think a major code update could have a ghost busters level effect on the game and interest from the community which would hopefully lead to a sellout of ACNC as it deserves

#2994 10 months ago
Quoted from netman63129:

This video above for calibrating the guillotine worked almost perfectly. The only issue was that even at the highest setting (100), I was still getting a ball trap. I ended up bending the black metal frame downward to create a smoother surface.
During testing, I accidentally set a couple of bogus speed runs. Is there any way to reset these to the defaults without restoring to the factory defaults?

Doing a code update or manual reset are only options as far as I know.
On my guillotine, the platform under the ramp was pushing the ramp up. I had to dial it down so as not to stress servo.

#2995 10 months ago
Quoted from aeneas:

You need to bend the edge of the scoop to correct this. I have read about this but never did it. So I can't be specific about it. You should be able to find info about this here on Pinside.

#2996 10 months ago

I love my game but saw some strange behavior together with some questions:

-After a tilt the High Score name was filled in with Spooky and I couldn't erase these initials to give in mine, is this also caused due to the memory leak?
-Is there a way to give out credits for the Grand Champion? Like on our Sterns we set these to give out 2 credits when you're the Grand Champion.
-Can you set a certain Match percentage?
-How can you limit the number of extra balls, these are set on our games to "2" per game
-What are the advised tilt settings? On my game we get a lot of Tilt Throughs and the warnings take a LOT of time between them even when the ball is lying still for like 10 seconds or more on the flipper. Can't really figure out those tilt settings but I never had to adjust these on a Stern...

#2997 10 months ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

You need to bend the edge of the scoop to correct this. I have read about this but never did it. So I can't be specific about it. You should be able to find info about this here on Pinside.

Already tried this, no succes. The kickout just isn't consistent.

#2998 10 months ago
Quoted from Bingovit:

-What are the advised tilt settings? On my game we get a lot of Tilt Throughs and the warnings take a LOT of time between them even when the ball is lying still for like 10 seconds or more on the flipper. Can't really figure out those tilt settings but I never had to adjust these on a Stern...

I couldn't get it normal with any adjustments. In the end I did the 'earplug' mod, and then made the tilt pretty tight, and now it works well. No tilt throughs at all

#2999 10 months ago

Odd. I have never had this reboot issue. Only major issue I had was the coin door lock.

#3000 10 months ago

People with ghost tilting, check your tilt mech. Make sure its level. There's only 1 screw holding the mech in. Ideally there should be 2 for this style of tilt mech. This was happening to mine, i realigned the mech and it fixed that, but its starting to happen again. I need to go get a second screw for it still, that should prevent it from moving out of alignment.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 107.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 75.00
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
There are 5360 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 108.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside