(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,004 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 18 hours ago by tbutler6
  • Topic is favorited by 147 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240419_072738 (resized).jpg
20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 161.
#2701 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/8oxO60k38kGSIPoJon4xCQ
Finally! I wish that this would have been available from day 1. Anyone with an Alice on the way, I'd recommend it. I will likely still order one although it doesn't protect the shooter lane.

No offense, but oh ghods no. Please. It's not like ACNC playfields are unobtanium, and if you clean and wax your field regularly, it'll last your lifetime. This plastic thing.. holy hell, the effect it would have on the ball makes me cringe.

#2702 4 years ago

Anyone else having issues with the ball getting stuck in the secret passage? And also the ball search just kicking out a locked ball and messing up the games ball locations.

#2703 4 years ago
Quoted from CCPorter:

Anyone else having issues with the ball getting stuck in the secret passage? And also the ball search just kicking out a locked ball and messing up the games ball locations.

It has a few times for me - I think there is a rollover in there that ball gets stuck on when ball goes up with very low level force.

#2704 4 years ago
Quoted from dnaman:

https://www.playfield-protectors.com/Home/Details/8oxO60k38kGSIPoJon4xCQ
Finally! I wish that this would have been available from day 1. Anyone with an Alice on the way, I'd recommend it. I will likely still order one although it doesn't protect the shooter lane.

Good luck.
I bought one for my F-14 and removed it after a month. Particles get under it and even with forced air it's difficult to get them out. If the protector moves at all, the bottom gets scratched and looks like shit. I thought my F14 played fine with one but many people don't like how their pin plays with one. Just wax your playfield and use Mylar in high ware areas. That way you can remove it later without tearing up paint.

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Good luck.
I bought one for my F-14 and removed it after a month. Particles get under it and even with forced air it's difficult to get them out. If the protector moves at all, the bottom gets scratched and looks like shit. I thought my F14 played fine with one but many people don't like how their pin plays with one. Just wax your playfield and use Mylar in high ware areas. That way you can remove it later without tearing up paint.

I've had great success with a product that isn't sticky like mylar... it uses static. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005MOXY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

This stuff is amazing... use it in all of my games' high traffic/sensitive areas. Never bubbles or moves... you can wax over it. And it pulls right up with no residue.

I put it in my ACNC ball drop areas and stand ups. No issues... no worries.

#2706 4 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I've had great success a product that isn't sticky like mylar... it uses static. amazon.com link »
This stuff is amazing... use it in all of my games' high traffic/sensitive areas. Never bubbles or moves... you can wax over it. And it pulls right up with no residue.
I put it in my ACNC ball drop areas and stand ups. No issues... no worries.

I'll give a try!

#2707 4 years ago

Well, it took awhile... I wasn't checking my email... but #363 showed up at my door last week. Anyway, here's the only picture that really matters...

20191125_194947 (2) (resized).jpg20191125_194947 (2) (resized).jpg
#2708 4 years ago

Yes, awesome! Your coin door is complete!

#2709 4 years ago

Joined the club today. Emailed Spooky to see if they sell the art blades since mine doesn't have any. Are any blades being made for ACNC or any mirror blades available to fit Spooky pins?

#2710 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Joined the club today. Emailed Spooky to see if they sell the art blades since mine doesn't have any. Are any blades being made for ACNC or any mirror blades available to fit Spooky pins?

Spooky makes its own mirror blades. I tried to order them for my game, but was told the laser used to cut them had to be fixed. They didn’t think they’d use it to make mirror blades again.

That could have changed since... that was a few months ago

#2711 4 years ago

I'm getting a set of Pinstadiums for ACNC for Christmas. A couple of questions:

1. Will I need the auxiliary power board from PinballLife or will it be ok connecting directly to the game? @christhepintern - maybe you could answer this for me.
2. Will installing them void the warranty? SpookyLuke

#2712 4 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

I'm getting a set of Pinstadiums for ACNC for Christmas.

I’m in the same boat Guiitarman! Went with the Fusion.

#2713 4 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

1. Will I need the auxiliary power board from PinballLife or will it be ok connecting directly to the game? christhepintern - maybe you could answer this for me.
2. Will installing them void the warranty? spookyluke

Not sure how they will respond, but I’d definitely use the auxiliary power board from PinballLife for any powered mods. I’d also suspect it will void your warranty. I know all too much on how FUBAR your pin can get with one electrical booboo.

#2714 4 years ago

Wanna hear some thoughts -
If ACNC had a "Midnight Madness" mode, what would you expect to happen?

I was kinda disappointed that there wasn't a Midnight Madness, and started thinking up ideas for such a thing.

#2715 4 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Not sure how they will respond, but I’d definitely use the auxiliary power board from PinballLife for any powered mods. I’d also suspect it will void your warranty. I know all too much on how FUBAR your pin can get with one electrical booboo.

This. I would even take it a step farther:
As someone who lost the power supply that feeds +5 and +12v, it is a SMALL supply. Stressing it could cause it to fail. I would find a small Mean Well supply, and just add it to the game, and power everything off of it. Another small supply should be found easily, and cheaply.

#2716 4 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

1. Will I need the auxiliary power board from PinballLife or will it be ok connecting directly to the game? christhepintern - maybe you could answer this for me.

Connect directly! You’re gonna love em. I love mine.

#2717 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

If ACNC had a "Midnight Madness" mode, what would you expect to happen?.

Nothing .. because I would disable it in the menu. Because such novelty things are dumb.

rd

#2718 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

I would find a small Mean Well supply, and just add it to the game, and power everything off of it. Another small supply should be found easily, and cheaply.

This sounds like a great idea! Gonna have to look for this for future use...in a year...once the warranty is done. This has taught me how quickly it all can go wrong. Spooky is an awesome company! They really bent over backwards for me. I don’t know what their next pin will be from them, but I’m pretty sure that’s my next! Quality machines from quality people.

#2719 4 years ago
Quoted from GuiitarMan:

The pinstadium lights have a separate power supply you run out the back of the machine, so no problems

#2720 4 years ago

So a few weeks ago I started having an intermittent issue with the crypt lock triggering. I played 10 games last night with no issue, then suddenly it started locking without actually being hit. Spooky thought it might be a bad switch and told me to remove the glass and hit the playfield with my hand to see if I could replicate and isolate. I did that, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue. So now I'm starting to think it could be Medisinyl crypt mod. The light shines down in the area where the opto is at. Is anyone else with the mod having a similar issue? The issue has been so intermittent that I'm having trouble tracking down the source.

#2721 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

So a few weeks ago I started having an intermittent issue with the crypt lock triggering. I played 10 games last night with no issue, then suddenly it started locking without actually being hit. Spooky thought it might be a bad switch and told me to remove the glass and hit the playfield with my hand to see if I could replicate and isolate. I did that, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue. So now I'm starting to think it could be medisinyl crypt mod. The light shines down in the area where the opto is at. Is anyone else with the mod having a similar issue? The issue has been so intermittent that I'm having trouble tracking down the source.

Not 100% sure, but if it was a light-source shining into the opto, it wouldn't trigger a false activation, but would cause it to miss an ACTUAL activation. (i.e. NOT see the ball when it IS there..)

Since Optos are 'normally closed' when they're NOT activated, it's possible that there's an issue with a wire somewhere. Or, the opto is just starting to fail (entirely possible).

#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Not 100% sure, but if it was a light-source shining into the opto, it wouldn't trigger a false activation, but would cause it to miss an ACTUAL activation. (i.e. NOT see the ball when it IS there..)
Since Optos are 'normally closed' when they're NOT activated, it's possible that there's an issue with a wire somewhere. Or, the opto is just starting to fail (entirely possible).

Ok. I didn't know that a light source couldn't cause a false hit. It's definitely recognizing the actual hits. There are just a ton of false hits registering. I will just keep trying to replicate and track it down.

#2723 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

Ok. I didn't know that a light source couldn't cause a false hit. It's definitely recognizing the actual hits. There are just a ton of false hits registering. I will just keep trying to replicate and track it down.

A lightly far-shot, but is your star post on the upper playfield (under the flipper across from the Cold Ethyl switch) loose? On my game, my little nylon nut fell off, and got stuck against the bottom drop target. It's possible that the opto is getting shorted because of the small nut. Just something to check. Also try cleaning the opto holes, just in case.

Good luck, am curious what you find.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

So a few weeks ago I started having an intermittent issue with the crypt lock triggering. I played 10 games last night with no issue, then suddenly it started locking without actually being hit. Spooky thought it might be a bad switch and told me to remove the glass and hit the playfield with my hand to see if I could replicate and isolate. I did that, but I haven't been able to replicate the issue. So now I'm starting to think it could be medisinyl crypt mod. The light shines down in the area where the opto is at. Is anyone else with the mod having a similar issue? The issue has been so intermittent that I'm having trouble tracking down the source.

I have yet to hear any such issues with the crypt mod, nor have had any issues with my game. It's the most popular of the Alice mods thus far and is in about 10% of all Alice games, so I imagine I'd have heard a report on that by now if the mod is causing it.

#2725 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

A lightly far-shot, but is your star post on the upper playfield (under the flipper across from the Cold Ethyl switch) loose? On my game, my little nylon nut fell off, and got stuck against the bottom drop target. It's possible that the opto is getting shorted because of the small nut. Just something to check. Also try cleaning the opto holes, just in case.

I will check that. I've definitely had issues with a few posts coming loose. The post with @medisinyl 's secret passage sign loosens off a lot. I've been considering a light locktight.

#2726 4 years ago

Was there any era on new code? My game came with 1.0.7.0, but seems some people have more recent.

The website just has ^.

I know it has been discussed, bit mainly looking forward to ball search enhancements until we get a bigger update.

I've had to take the glass off to find missing balls fairly often.

#2727 4 years ago

Optos commonly do flat out go bad. First things i usually check though are 1. Push wires into connector on bottom side with a tiny flat head. Sometimes the punch works loose. 2. Reflow solder joints or look for tiny strands of wire possibly touching. 3. Replace opto and connectors

#2728 4 years ago

My pin reset a few times in the middle of games during a party I had recently. Pretty much the only stress test it has had so far. Hopefully will be fixed with a code update.

#2729 4 years ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Was there any era on new code? My game came with 1.0.7.0, but seems some people have more recent.
The website just has ^.
I know it has been discussed, bit mainly looking forward to ball search enhancements until we get a bigger update.
I've had to take the glass off to find missing balls fairly often.

Per the post earlier, the next update is being worked on, and they're holding off until they get the reset / memory hog thing sorted.

#2730 4 years ago
Quoted from JustEverett:

I'm starting to think it could be medisinyl crypt mod. The light shines down in the area where the opto is at. Is anyone else with the mod having a similar issue?

No problem here so far.

#2731 4 years ago

#2732 4 years ago

#423 was picked up and setup last week!

Got a few dozen games in. Ok, maybe a couple hundred....

Yeah, the orbit shots are pretty tough for the main shot to progress through the levels. Its easier to open the secret door to progress to the monster fight and even easier to activate and trigger the Mystery Prize which is usually advance to fight the monster.

But its still really great and really well thought out design. Love it to death!

20191130_141210 (resized).jpg20191130_141210 (resized).jpg
#2733 4 years ago

Mine is on the delivery truck as of today (: first pinball machine I'll of owned. #429

#2734 4 years ago

Have had many discussions with many people about this (THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP COYOTE!), but I'll ask here just because.
My upper pf doesn't work, no flipper, no Frank, no nothing. The 3a fuse in bottom right of bb keeps blowing. Immediately. Gone through 2 boxes of fuses.
Any ideas?

#2735 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

Have had many discussions with many people about this (THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HELP COYOTE!), but I'll ask here just because.
My upper pf doesn't work, no flipper, no Frank, no nothing. The 3a fuse in bottom right of bb keeps blowing. Immediately. Gone through 2 boxes of fuses.
Any ideas?

Something has got to be shorting...check all connections and run the wires. Any mods, take them off or disable them.

#2736 4 years ago

No mods.
It started with Frank not releasing locked ball. Then took a week to figure out I had a bad pc. New pc in last night, now upper pf doesn't work. Fuse constantly blows. So is my temper.

#2737 4 years ago

Get ahold of me specifically gryszzz. I'll take care of ya.

#2738 4 years ago
Quoted from SpookyLuke:

Get ahold of me specifically gryszzz. I'll take care of ya.

Please try to help him - I've done about all I can from a distance.

#2739 4 years ago

Who called a game release in tandem with the fang club? Oh yeah.

#2740 4 years ago
Quoted from Gryszzz:

No mods.
It started with Frank not releasing locked ball. Then took a week to figure out I had a bad pc. New pc in last night, now upper pf doesn't work. Fuse constantly blows. So is my temper.

My fuse blew because the diverter servo went bad. Spooky send new one and it was super easy to install and configure. No problems since. Easy to see if it behaves correctly or not by testing in servo menu. The one fuse takes out guillotine, Frank and diverter. Not sure about flipper though. If the fuse keeps blowing when you start game, then check if diverter or Franks head or guillotine drop hole platform is touching and pushing on something and overloading servos.

#2741 4 years ago

#436 is in the house! I probably won't have time to set it up until Saturday, but it's safe and dry with no apparent shipping damage.

Thanks Spooky!

#2742 4 years ago

About time for some code.......say by this weekend

#2743 4 years ago

I was hoping for a Christmas present of code.

Hey I have one question. At Pincinnati, the ball got lost in the cabinet about 6 times. I figured it was probably Frank, but was never able to recreate the problem manually starting Frank mode. He would drop the balls down the 2 ramps successfully every time I tried. I'd reset it up, then another ball would get stuck a few hours later. What was the fix in this thread for when a ball ends up in the back of the cabinet? Is it ALWAYS Frank as the root cause?

#2744 4 years ago
Quoted from lancestorm:

I was hoping for a Christmas present of code.
Hey I have one question. At Pincinnati, the ball got lost in the cabinet about 6 times. I figured it was probably Frank, but was never able to recreate the problem manually starting Frank mode. He would drop the balls down the 2 ramps successfully every time I tried. I'd reset it up, then another ball would get stuck a few hours later. What was the fix in this thread for when a ball ends up in the back of the cabinet? Is it ALWAYS Frank as the root cause?

Haven't ever had this happen, so I can't comment. Looking at the PF, could it be that your left ramp is missing a plastic cover over it, so that balls coming up TO Frank or the upper PF are flying off and down?

#2745 4 years ago

Just chiming in on this.... yesterday Frank fell in love with one of my balls and wouldn't release it. I did not notice it until I shot a second ball up there and it got stuck on the existing ball so both were stuck up there. After the second one got stuck he just kept trying to release over and over again but no dice.

Of the top of my head I don't think its related to the other issues others mentioned. It looks like Frank just did not know when the first ball was caught and when the second one was caught he started trying to release but did not have the strength to move the weight of two balls.

That is just my guess. I have zero experience in this so take that into consideration but I just wanted to document it here in case it helps anyone.

#2746 4 years ago

I've had one case where frank was in the raised position and I locked a ball. Ball fell into the cabinet

#2747 4 years ago

Only have had the game a few days and having crypt issues frequently. I read that pitch may be the issue with the balls getting stuck in there and the ball search is not clearing them out. I lowered the pitch to 6.3 and not helping. Is there a recommended pitch to use? The first drop target won't lower in test with a ball or two behind it.

#2748 4 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

Only have had the game a few days and having crypt issues frequently. I read that pitch may be the issue with the balls getting stuck in there and the ball search is not clearing them out. I lowered the pitch to 6.3 and not helping. Is there a recommended pitch to use? The first drop target won't lower in test with a ball or two behind it.

I believe Spooky recommends from 6.5 to 7.0.

#2749 4 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Played 10 games last night before the issue started happening. The game started kicking multiple balls into the lane, triggering crypt when not actually hit, and prematurely ending balls due to having lost balls in play (up to 3 at one point). The 10 games before the issue were flawless. So I pulled the glass and tried triggering the optos like Spooky told me to do (by hitting the PF with my hand). No false triggers. Then I proceeded to check for loose hardware and connections as Coyote and SpookyLuke suggested. I couldn't find any lose connections or hardware. All the drop down target mechs appear to be working properly, though they did seem to have a few rough spots during operation. I started to wonder if they are getting hung up mechanically leaving the switch opened/closed depending on the droptarget position. Finally I cleaned the optos, gave the PF a quick clean and put the glass back on. I played a 4 player co-op game and the issue did not persist. I'm pretty perplexed at this point. Everytime it has happened it's after the game has been played for a while. Almost like something is getting hot and malfunctioning.

#2750 4 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 14.00
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

$ 300.00
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Cabinet - Other
Pinball Mod Co.

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
There are 8,004 posts in this topic. You are on page 55 of 161.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/55?hl=obed_marsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.