(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,997 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 days ago by finnflash
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230920_094337_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 160.
#7551 1 year ago

Is Spooky. Is Quirky.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

ForgetAboutItPunkin

#7552 1 year ago
Quoted from Morgoth00:

Also would freeze and stutter when it shows the comic book flipping.

I would suspect the pin is on old code.

The freezing was an issue early on if the pin had been running for a long time or played a lot. It was down to memory issues with how the game used images.

Haven’t had an issue on the newer codes.

rd

#7553 1 year ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I would suspect the pin is on old code.
The freezing was an issue early on if the pin had been running for a long time or played a lot. It was down to memory issues with how the game used images.
Haven’t had an issue on the newer codes.
rd

Ah makes sense. Was on location with many other pins

#7554 1 year ago

Or that.

#7555 1 year ago

So I'm having real rotten luck these days with my pins - I've had HW and ACNC both go down, and one of my Stern toppers going fubar all within the space of a few weeks.

Anyway Spooky sent me a new CPU unit for my ACNC which has indeed fixed an issue I had with the machine not booting up. After installing the new computer, imaging it with the software and then updating to the latest code - I played 2 games and all looked good again. However, now (next day) when i start up the machine, one of a few scenarios may happen:

1. The game will get half way through starting up, then everything will will go blank and it will cycle back to the beginning of the start up routine, then this will keep happening (at different stages of the start up).

2. The game starts up fully, then hangs (screen will freeze - all playfield lights will freeze), this can happen before I've even hit the start button, just leaving it in attract mode.

3. I start a game, get through maybe ball one, and the game crashes and attempts to restart.

4. I actually play a game with no issues.

A similar thing would happen sometimes before I replaced the CPU - it would just hang on startup, and usually I would have to give it 2 or 3 attempts, but then it would be fine and it would never crash during a game. It's beginning to drive me nuts - it really does appear to be a bad connection or something, but I have triple and quadruple checked all the plugs/connectors they all appear to be good. Anyone have any ideas? I've obviously contacted Spooky, but just seeing if anyone has had similar problems and can advise on anything else to check.

I think this is perhaps one of my favourite games ever, but holy hell it's had the glass off more than the rest of my pins put together. Really do love it, but I just wish I could get it working more reliably.

#7556 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

So I'm having real rotten luck these days with my pins - I've had HW and ACNC both go down, and one of my Stern toppers going fubar all within the space of a few weeks.
Anyway Spooky sent me a new CPU unit for my ACNC which has indeed fixed an issue I had with the machine not booting up. After installing the new computer, imaging it with the software and then updating to the latest code - I played 2 games and all looked good again. However, now (next day) when i start up the machine, one of a few scenarios may happen:
1. The game will get half way through starting up, then everything will will go blank and it will cycle back to the beginning of the start up routine, then this will keep happening (at different stages of the start up).
2. The game starts up fully, then hangs (screen will freeze - all playfield lights will freeze), this can happen before I've even hit the start button, just leaving it in attract mode.
3. I start a game, get through maybe ball one, and the game crashes and attempts to restart.
4. I actually play a game with no issues.
A similar thing would happen sometimes before I replaced the CPU - it would just hang on startup, and usually I would have to give it 2 or 3 attempts, but then it would be fine and it would never crash during a game. It's beginning to drive me nuts - it really does appear to be a bad connection or something, but I have triple and quadruple checked all the plugs/connectors they all appear to be good. Anyone have any ideas? I've obviously contacted Spooky, but just seeing if anyone has had similar problems and can advise on anything else to check.
I think this is perhaps one of my favourite games ever, but holy hell it's had the glass off more than the rest of my pins put together. Really do love it, but I just wish I could get it working more reliably.

Flakey power supply?

Just an idea - Follow the power lead from the computer down to the power supply, see where it’s screwed in. Maybe move the lugs to a different output, see if there’s any change …

Worth a shot.

rd

#7557 1 year ago

I'll try that @rotordave... This is a really infuriating problem though. If I do manage to get the game powered up, started and not frozen after 15 minutes. It'll play quite perfectly with absolutely no issues. Last night I played for 30-40 minutes with no problems whatsoever. This morning when I go to start it up, I can't get it to boot up fully, it just keeps restarting over and over before it can get to the attract screen. Rarely, but sometimes when it is starting I'll hear a quick burst of static, then the display will freeze up like in this pic. Really odd...

20221123_135754 (resized).jpg20221123_135754 (resized).jpg
#7558 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

I'll try that rotordave... This is a really infuriating problem though. If I do manage to get the game powered up, started and not frozen after 15 minutes. It'll play quite perfectly with absolutely no issues. Last night I played for 30-40 minutes with no problems whatsoever. This morning when I go to start it up, I can't get it to boot up fully, it just keeps restarting over and over before it can get to the attract screen. Rarely, but sometimes when it is starting I'll hear a quick burst of static, then the display will freeze up like in this pic. Really odd...[quoted image]

Yeah sounds like cable or power issues to me.

The computer obviously works cause it works half the time.

So I would very carefully and methodically do over every connection from the wall power socket to the computer. Look for flakey molexes, crappy crimps, stuff like that.

Wiggle all the crimps (via the wire) on the connectors while they’re going … see if anything goes on/off.

rd

#7559 1 year ago

It would certainly seem that way - but I just don't get why once it has started up and has been active for 15 mins, it will be pretty damn solid. This morning it took several attempts to try starting it before I gave up, but I tried again later and once it had started (took a few tries), it's been ok - and I have literally played it for 2 hours and left it on all night so far with zero issues.

If it was a cable/power problem I would expect it to cut out again at some point - especially during play with all the vibrations and movement. Maybe its such a fine line, that starting it "cold" is the issue? I can certainly try giving the connectors a wiggle while its on (yes, via the wire)...

#7560 1 year ago

Have a ACNC mini playfield for sale. It’s brand new, I bought it to attach to my wall art playfield but never did. Main playfield looks nice without it

I also have the hardware to install it.

$150 shipped in the $US

Pm me if interested.

9035A245-CDA5-43F3-8F50-2BF323540D10 (resized).jpeg9035A245-CDA5-43F3-8F50-2BF323540D10 (resized).jpeg9DD0A07A-18F2-466F-8042-902FEEF08542 (resized).jpeg9DD0A07A-18F2-466F-8042-902FEEF08542 (resized).jpegC68BC79A-DB97-42ED-9D2F-1D5EB220135C (resized).jpegC68BC79A-DB97-42ED-9D2F-1D5EB220135C (resized).jpeg

Added 16 months ago:

Thai is sold.

#7561 1 year ago

Also have this monster artwork by Brian Allen (autographed). Alice cooper is in there. Measures 11” x 17”

$45 shipped in the US

Pm me if interested.

52025730-AB97-4BCE-84FB-3CE27514DD1C (resized).jpeg52025730-AB97-4BCE-84FB-3CE27514DD1C (resized).jpeg
Added 16 months ago:

oops I priced this too high

reposting a lower price

Added 16 months ago:

Sold

#7562 1 year ago
Quoted from Pinball-Obsessed:

Also have this monster artwork by Brian Allen (autographed). Alice cooper is in there. Measures 11” x 17”
$45 shipped in the US
Pm me if interested.
[quoted image]

That's cool!!

#7564 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:What is everyone using for a topper?

Dust

#7565 1 year ago

Search the thread, there is the best topper ever made for any machine a couple months ago, there may be one left if you ask.

#7566 1 year ago

Looking for some Discontinued mods for Alice Cooper. With to pay cash, wire transfer, Venmo or PayPal. Whatever it takes.
Mods are done by medisinyl and lord of the game room. Thanks for your time. DM if you have anything and a price you want.

#7567 1 year ago
Quoted from WannabeWizard:

Looking for some Discontinued mods for Alice Cooper. With to pay cash, wire transfer, Venmo or PayPal. Whatever it takes.
Mods are done by medisinyl and lord of the game room. Thanks for your time. DM if you have anything and a price you want.

I contacted Lord of the Game Room about a month ago inquiring about mods for Alice and he assured me plans to offer them again in the future.

#7568 1 year ago

$45 shipped in the US
Pm me if interested.
[quoted image]

Added today: oops I priced this too high
reposting a lower price

Reposting this for sale.

$25 shipped.

Pm me if interested.

8030FD60-A65F-4A3F-8330-16972ABE2E2E (resized).jpeg8030FD60-A65F-4A3F-8330-16972ABE2E2E (resized).jpeg
#7569 1 year ago
Quoted from Merendino:

I contacted Lord of the Game Room about a month ago inquiring about mods for Alice and he assured me plans to offer them again in the future.

That would be great. Hopefully soon. I contacted him also. Maybe the more people that contact him the sooner they will be released

#7570 1 year ago

Reposting this for sale.
$25 shipped.
Pm me if interested.
[quoted image]

I will take this. Thanks

#7571 1 year ago

Trouble with chopper!

My ACNC started blowing the 3A fast blow fuse that controls Frank and the guillotine. The guillotine is stuck trying to lower itself - it bottoms out and keeps trying to get lower even tho its bottomed out and that pops the fuse pretty quickly on boot up. Since its stuck in the lowest position upon bootup, and it just keeps trying to lower itself, it just blows the fuse upon each fresh boot.

Ideas?

What device is supposed to be telling the guillotine its at the bottom of its range and to stop trying to go down?

#7572 1 year ago
Quoted from superhawk2300:

Trouble with chopper!
My ACNC started blowing the 3A fast blow fuse that controls Frank and the guillotine. The guillotine is stuck trying to lower itself - it bottoms out and keeps trying to get lower even tho its bottomed out and that pops the fuse pretty quickly on boot up. Since its stuck in the lowest position upon bootup, and it just keeps trying to lower itself, it just blows the fuse upon each fresh boot.
Ideas?
What device is supposed to be telling the guillotine its at the bottom of its range and to stop trying to go down?

In the test menu, there are options to set the top, mid and lower for the guillotine. The motor will try to move it to those settings. There is no switch to stop it.

There is a great useful video from Spooky that will be in this thread somewhere that shows how to set up the motor and guillotine.

I do not have the link to hand but it should not be too hard to find or search YouTube for Alice Cooper Nightmare Castle motor adjustments.

My guillotine broke and my motor went bad to been through this a couple of times.

Skippy2904

#7573 1 year ago

I wondered what would make the setting change or for the chopper to just start acting this way. I went back out to reset the menu, reset it to 0 which did not work, then 35 which seems to be the default and now it just keep rebooting itself after it gets this far in its boot cycle. I did reload the software with the last update again once it started happening and it did not change anything - just keeps rebooting now...

1 (resized).jpg1 (resized).jpg
#7574 1 year ago
Quoted from superhawk2300:

I wondered what would make the setting change or for the chopper to just start acting this way. I went back out to reset the menu, reset it to 0 which did not work, then 35 which seems to be the default and now it just keep rebooting itself after it gets this far in its boot cycle. I did reload the software with the last update again once it started happening and it did not change anything - just keeps rebooting now...[quoted image]

Contact Spooky support. Something happened to your game's settings file (likely why it got corrupted in the first place) and now the game software can't read it.

#7575 1 year ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Contact Spooky support. Something happened to your game's settings file (likely why it got corrupted in the first place) and now the game software can't read it.

Doesn't sound too serious. That will help sleeping tonight. Thank man!

#7576 1 year ago

What do folks think of the green armour kit on this one?

ACNC Green 1 (resized).jpgACNC Green 1 (resized).jpg
#7578 1 year ago

Ooof a downvote - that's a bit harsh I was only asking opinions.

Yeah think I much prefer my blue, but I would like the side armour and speaker grills (again, in blue). I wonder if Spooky still make them...?

#7579 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Ooof a downvote - that's a bit harsh I was only asking opinions.

And you got it. Downvote = disagree/dislike. Not sure why that’s harsh.

#7580 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

It was a question. Its like downvoting the question itself.

I do prefer the blue. Although I think the powder could be a bit better quality wise.

#7581 1 year ago
Quoted from insight75:

It was a question. Its like downvoting the question itself.

Yeah was just thinking this - anyway yeah, I guess it's just giving a thumbs down on the armour itself... all good.

#7582 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

What do folks think of the green armour kit on this one?[quoted image]

I really like it. The blue now doesn’t look right to me. Plus, if you have a black light…the armor will
glow.

8BF15F97-4E6E-495C-9AD1-5444BAC78FFF (resized).jpeg8BF15F97-4E6E-495C-9AD1-5444BAC78FFF (resized).jpeg
#7583 1 year ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

We had this out. You reckoned Robin said it but he didn't.

It's only you that think this.

Other people see it as a different thing chuck

#7584 1 year ago

For those of you interested: Lord of the Game room has his Alice mods back in stock as of today.

#7585 1 year ago
Quoted from punkin:

We had this out. You reckoned Robin said it but he didn't.
It's only you that think this.
Other people see it as a different thing chuck

You’re right. It’s only used to disagree with a post. So the person that disliked their picture and used the downvote to voice their dislike, was in the wrong.

The rest of your post I disagree with, hence the downvote.

9F65F8A0-0626-4FD9-82DE-A09E1F6E5F57 (resized).jpeg9F65F8A0-0626-4FD9-82DE-A09E1F6E5F57 (resized).jpeg
#7586 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

What do folks think of the green armour kit on this one?[quoted image]

I liked my purple.

20220529_121749 (resized).jpg20220529_121749 (resized).jpg
#7587 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I liked my purple.
[quoted image]

Love the options! Looks good.

#7588 1 year ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

I liked my purple.
[quoted image]

That looks amazing mate - very nice.

Also, huge bonus points for HW and Alien - probably my 2 favorites this year.

#7589 1 year ago
Quoted from Merendino:

For those of you interested: Lord of the Game room has his Alice mods back in stock as of today.

Aahhhh but their exit tunnel mod isn't in stock. I already have Medisinyls centre tunnel, crypt, lab, volcano and secret entrance sign. This one would be the final piece in the puzzle.

https://lordofthegameroom.com/products/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-exit-tunnel?variant=42735271051415

I would LOVE to add that - I wonder if they'll run that again?

#7590 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

Aahhhh but their exit tunnel mod isn't in stock. I already have Medisinyls centre tunnel, crypt, lab, volcano and secret entrance sign. This one would be the final piece in the puzzle.
https://lordofthegameroom.com/products/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-exit-tunnel?variant=42735271051415
I would LOVE to add that - I wonder if they'll run that again?

Reached out to him on FB. He says he will have more in stock in a matter of days.

#7591 1 year ago
Quoted from Daditude:

What is everyone using for a topper?

I'm highly considering this Laseriffic topper intended for Rob Zombie, actually.

IMG_2128_1024x1024 (resized).jpegIMG_2128_1024x1024 (resized).jpeg
#7592 1 year ago

YaY...just got my very own ACNC.
Couple of queries, if anyone could advise please.
1/ how do I know which No. machine I have?
2/ Ball seems to fly over the teardrop on guillotine. Best way to slow it down?
3/ (most important) how do I adjust the magnisave? It grabs the ball. Wobbles it a bit, then releases it. Shouldn't propel it on to the playfield? I know it has the plastic protector fitted, could this affect its workings? I read an earlier post (from SpookyLuke[?]) about adjusting the magnetic pole? Anyone any advice/experience?

Thanks
D

#7593 1 year ago

Co

Quoted from Crazysurfkid:

YaY...just got my very own ACNC.
Couple of queries, if anyone could advise please.
1/ how do I know which No. machine I have?
2/ Ball seems to fly over the teardrop on guillotine. Best way to slow it down?
3/ (most important) how do I adjust the magnisave? It grabs the ball. Wobbles it a bit, then releases it. Shouldn't propel it on to the playfield? I know it has the plastic protector fitted, could this affect its workings? I read an earlier post (from SpookyLuke[?]) about adjusting the magnetic pole? Anyone any advice/experience?
Thanks
D

Congrats! Such an awesome game I think I like it more now than when I bought it last year!

1. I think there's a sticker inside the cabinet with serial number etc on it. It does have "Model Number" written on there I'm not sure if that's the actual machine number?

2. You can lower the "lock" position of the guillotine in the servo settings - mine used to do the same, so I gradually lowered the lock position until it was deep enough to catch even fast ball. I'd give that a try first.

3. There are options to change the magnet pattern in the settings. Again, mine didn't really work consistently on the "original" setting, try changing it to one of the other patterns and give it a try. One of those options should yield better results.

#7594 1 year ago
Quoted from Ceemunkey:

1. I think there's a sticker inside the cabinet with serial number etc on it. It does have "Model Number" written on there I'm not sure if that's the actual machine number?

Yes, unlike WMS, Spooky's serials are actually serialized. The last 3 digits of your serial number is your machine number.

#7595 1 year ago

Thanks, I'll have a look at serial No.

Re the guillotine- the trap is already low. I think the problem is the ball just is travelling too fast. Might try and put something to slow it down.

I've tried the different settings for the magnisave ( from what I read, it just changes how soon the magnet pulses. It seems as if the magnet isn't strong enough- wondered if it was because of the protector on it, or even if balls aren't attracted enough i.e. maybe 3rd party balls?

#7596 1 year ago

Read this entire thread, many troubleshooting ideas and fixes.

#7597 1 year ago

I've tried the different settings for the magnisave ( from what I read, it just changes how soon the magnet pulses. It seems as if the magnet isn't strong enough- wondered if it was because of the protector on it, or even if balls aren't attracted enough i.e. maybe 3rd party balls?

I did this. Easy job and magnasave never failed me since.

#7598 1 year ago

Re the guillotine- the trap is already low. I think the problem is the ball just is travelling too fast. Might try and put something to slow it down.

…a strip of black felt in the curve will help.

#7600 1 year ago

Legit just installed on my Alice Cooper last night. I love the ease of changing and testing out different flipper angles ESPECIALLY on this game. We all know how frustrating the shots can be on this title.

After a few different flipper positions I found one that works fantastic for my playstyle.

Also, 1956PINHEAD did you mean November 30th??

EB2995FA-03AC-452C-A175-415CDF9A62E2.jpegEB2995FA-03AC-452C-A175-415CDF9A62E2.jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 152 of 160.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/152?hl=wannabewizard and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.