(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 8,003 posts
  • 418 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 44 hours ago by sleepygtr
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240419_072738 (resized).jpg
20240406_140302 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 8,003 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 161.
#6651 2 years ago

What are some recommended strategies for ACNC? It seems like all the points are in the modes, but curious how you approach the game for score?

#6652 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:

What are some recommended strategies for ACNC? It seems like all the points are in the modes, but curious how you approach the game for score?

Yes, it is all about the modes, and more importantly, starting and completing them. Until you start a mode, you are only really scoring for the spinner, combos and the crypt multiball.
I don't tend to get too wrapped up in the order, but keep in mind, the points awarded are increased with each monster mode completed.
Pit creature is the big one. I had a game last night and was awarded 82 million for defeating the creature. I have had more in the past though.
Keep an eye out for the green orbit lights. It is a big risk vs reward, but collecting and using a weapon certainly helps with defeating monsters.
Get the crypt lock going, (constantly) ready to use. Although the ball save timing is a bit flakey when in both crypt and a mode, its good to have crypt ready, if only to give a ball some longevity.
Keep in mind, it is not always the best to have 2 balls on the go when trying to complete vamp or alice, but great to start crypt when the mode is completed to help collect the jackpots.
Also useful to have crypt ready on frank, as you can get 3 balls as opposed to 2. I find the extra ball helps defeating frank, and scoring points as both modes are going.
Don't forget about the chop shot as that also leads to an extra ball, along with starting the 3rd monster.
There is a 3rd extra ball available as a special shot on monster 7 (I think), again, the green orbits that change direction with sling hits. It's a one off though and if you drain, you loose it.
Only other advice from me is keep an eye on the ball save lane lights and the multiplier.
Its a great game that can be brutal, but when the stars align, can lead to some long ball times and great scoring games.
Good luck.
P

#6653 2 years ago
Quoted from Paulatron:

Yes, it is all about the modes, and more importantly, starting and completing them. Until you start a mode, you are only really scoring for the spinner, combos and the crypt multiball.
I don't tend to get too wrapped up in the order, but keep in mind, the points awarded are increased with each monster mode completed.
Pit creature is the big one. I had a game last night and was awarded 82 million for defeating the creature. I have had more in the past though.
Keep an eye out for the green orbit lights. It is a big risk vs reward, but collecting and using a weapon certainly helps with defeating monsters.
Get the crypt lock going, (constantly) ready to use. Although the ball save timing is a bit flakey when in both crypt and a mode, its good to have crypt ready, if only to give a ball some longevity.
Keep in mind, it is not always the best to have 2 balls on the go when trying to complete vamp or alice, but great to start crypt when the mode is completed to help collect the jackpots.
Also useful to have crypt ready on frank, as you can get 3 balls as opposed to 2. I find the extra ball helps defeating frank, and scoring points as both modes are going.
Don't forget about the chop shot as that also leads to an extra ball, along with starting the 3rd monster.
There is a 3rd extra ball available as a special shot on monster 7 (I think), again, the green orbits that change direction with sling hits. It's a one off though and if you drain, you loose it.
Only other advice from me is keep an eye on the ball save lane lights and the multiplier.
Its a great game that can be brutal, but when the stars align, can lead to some long ball times and great scoring games.
Good luck.
P

Awesome! Greatly appreciated

#6654 2 years ago
Quoted from Aeolus7:Awesome! Greatly appreciated

No problem, until 3 months ago when I scored a sweet MMR, Alice was my go-to game in my lineup. It's so much fun to play.
Alice also needed some time out, as all the clear post sleeves had chewed out and it took me some time to get round to ordering replacements. It now has some new rubbers and balls, so it has been getting played more lately. Plus the novelty factor of a new MMR is past the honeymoon period.

We are in lockdown for a few days so just had lunch and went downstairs to have a few games and try put some of my advice into practice.
2nd game in, scored 393,081,035.
7 monsters played, 5 defeated. Just had ethyl and wolf to go.
Also got 12 chops and alice high score of 56mil. Got 106mil on pit but not pit high score.
Keeping that crypt locked and ready to go helped a lot. Plus the extra balls.
Might go do something more productive now. Plenty of time for pinball tonight.

#6655 2 years ago

I read that and thought "wow how did he score so high?" Then I realized that I have extra balls off.

Quoted from Aeolus7:

If you're after points you gotta play Pit Creature somewhere in your game. You should also prioritize Insects and Igor over other modes as they gives you good points and aren't too difficult, and all three modes are better with multiball.

If you're after wizard mode, you gotta collect items/weapons.

#6656 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I read that and thought "wow how did he score so high?" Then I realized that I have extra balls off.

Yes, but you still have to collect the extra ball after it's lit. It can be a tricky shot on that upper playfield. Very risk vs reward.

#6657 2 years ago
Quoted from Paulatron:

Yes, but you still have to collect the extra ball after it's lit. It can be a tricky shot on that upper playfield. Very risk vs reward.

Collecting anything on the upper playfield isn’t risk and reward. There’s no way you’ll drain even if you do miss!

rd

#6658 2 years ago

Ok, got my first real problem. My guillotine is stuck down, along with the platform for the ball in the ramp. I’ve gone to the servo menu and it won’t respond. I’ve checked the 5 fuses in the head and they are good for continuity. Any other ideas.

#6659 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Ok, got my first real problem. My guillotine is stuck down, along with the platform for the ball in the ramp. I’ve gone to the servo menu and it won’t respond. I’ve checked the 5 fuses in the head and they are good for continuity. Any other ideas.

I would plug in a new sevro and see if it works myself,I know my amh would only work with analog sevros but I am not sure about this game!full size sevro

#6660 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I would plug in a new sevro and see if it works myself,I know my amh would only work with analog sevros but I am not sure about this game!full size sevro

Thanks. I was figuring I’ll need a new servo.

#6661 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I had this issue the other day. I contacted Spooky and they gave me the part number to replace the servo.

I purchased a kit that came with 4 of them. While I waited for them to come in, I physically got the guillotine all of the way up and unplugged it so it wouldn't move down again. The game was playable with the servo disconnected.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07NQJ1VZ2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

For those wierdos like me that don't want to shop on Amazon: https://www.makerfocus.com/products/4pcs-mg995-servo-high-speed-20kg-control-angle-180-metal-gear-servo

#6662 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

That's definitely a servo 100%. Mine went too, I had to change it out.

Have fun getting to it....

#6663 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

That's definitely a servo 100%. Mine went too, I had to change it out.
Have fun getting to it....

I saw Luke did a video to change it. I need to check that out. I was able to disconnect the guillotine servo and manually raise it so I can play it, but now I can’t access the service menu. Is there a relationship to the guillotine servo and the buttons inside the coin door?

#6664 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

I saw Luke did a video to change it. I need to check that out. I was able to disconnect the guillotine servo and manually raise it so I can play it, but now I can’t access the service menu. Is there a relationship to the guillotine servo and the buttons inside the coin door?

Not that I'm aware of, my game is on location or I would check it out for you. I had the servo unplugged ant I could still access the menu.

The servo isn't that hard to get to, it just takes some patience and a little bit of time. I would absolutely watch the video Luke made a few times, it will save you a lot of headache. It did take me a little bit of time to really dial in the servo positions after I installed the new one, but in the end it worked out.

#6665 2 years ago

Does anyone know if someone created a video as to change the flipper bushings?

#6666 2 years ago

Or if someone could illuminate the process.

#6667 2 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Does anyone know if someone created a video as to change the flipper bushings?

I emailed Charlie about it and got as answer on acnc it's not necessary to replace them..

#6668 2 years ago

Ive had the latest code since it came out and I still haven’t figured out how to collect items/weapons and what they actually do? Any help would be appreciated!

#6669 2 years ago
Quoted from Gear_Grinder:

Ive had the latest code since it came out and I still haven’t figured out how to collect items/weapons and what they actually do? Any help would be appreciated!

Only certain monsters have weapons available. When that monster is activated, one or both of the orbits are lit green. Hit one of the green lit orbits and then the face on the upper playfield castle tower will flash green. Get it to the upper playfield and hit the flashing target. Now you’ve collected the weapon. Now activate the monster and fight! The weapons will help you defeat the monster in only a shot or two, then collect a ton of points and the hurry up.

#6670 2 years ago
Quoted from dnapac:

Only certain monsters have weapons available. When that monster is activated, one or both of the orbits are lit green. Hit one of the green lit orbits and then the face on the upper playfield castle tower will flash green. Get it to the upper playfield and hit the flashing target. Now you’ve collected the weapon. Now activate the monster and fight! The weapons will help you defeat the monster in only a shot or two, then collect a ton of points and the hurry up.

Sweet! Thanks for the explanation!

#6671 2 years ago

Sweet! Thanks for the explanation!

I believe all of the monsters have weapons (except for Frankenstein's), but they are found in deeper rooms of the castle. Meaning at the beginning of the game you are only able to find 2 or 3 monsters weapons because the weapons are located in the first two rooms.

As you open up more of the castle you are then able to find more of the monsters weapons.

#6672 2 years ago

Seems like everything that I have done to make the magna save work have if not futile but it’s worse! It was dialed in for awhile but it almost seems like the latest code made it worse even after changing patterns. It grabs the ball, holds it moves it up about a 1/16 of an inch then drops. At one time it would almost make it into the secret passage. Thinking if ordering a new magnet just to eliminate that. Any thoughts?

Game #006
Capacitor disconnected
Capacitor setting tried both on and off
Pattern 1,2,3 tried
Sticker installed on magnet core

#6673 2 years ago

Seems like everything that I have done to make the magma save work have if not futile but it’s worse! It was dialed in for awhile but it almost seems like the latest code made it worse even after changing patterns. It grabs the ball, holds it moves it up about a 1/16 of an inch then drops. At one time it would almost make it into the secret passage. Thinking if ordering a new magnet just to eliminate that. Any thoughts?
Game #006
Capacitor disconnected
Pattern 1,2,3 tried

I’d try a new core. If it’s game #006, it’s been around awhile and some maintenance is required. I have the latest code and have no problem…except a dead guillotine servo…lol. That’s my maintenance job at the moment.

#6674 2 years ago

Seems like everything that I have done to make the magma save work have if not futile but it’s worse! It was dialed in for awhile but it almost seems like the latest code made it worse even after changing patterns. It grabs the ball, holds it moves it up about a 1/16 of an inch then drops. At one time it would almost make it into the secret passage. Thinking if ordering a new magnet just to eliminate that. Any thoughts?
Game #006
Capacitor disconnected
Pattern 1,2,3 tried

Is it constantly doing that? (Throwing it up a little bit).

Mine (#91) is set to original and seems to randomly throw the ball. Sometimes into the secret passage, other times part way up, other times does not go up enough to land on the left flipper and drains. Ball save then kicks in and plungers a new ball. When I first got the game, I do not recall this behaviour. Soon after getting it, I did the code update to the latest version. Could be related.

#6675 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Is it constantly doing that? (Throwing it up a little bit).
Mine (#91) is set to original and seems to randomly throw the ball. Sometimes into the secret passage, other times part way up, other times does not go up enough to land on the left flipper and drains. Ball save then kicks in and plungers a new ball. When I first got the game, I do not recall this behaviour. Soon after getting it, I did the code update to the latest version. Could be related.

Oh yah, so consistent now that I would say always.

dnapac have you had to replace a core before. I’m calling spooky tomorrow and was going to ask for a whole magnet assembly but I would think that this item isn’t specifics to spooky and might be available elsewhere.

#6676 2 years ago

Game #006
Capacitor disconnected
Pattern 1,2,3 tried

If you are willing to wait about a week, I may have something for you to try. If interested, PM me. It's not a permanent fix, but is kind of 'big'.

#6677 2 years ago

Oh yah, so consistent now that I would say always.
dnapac have you had to replace a core before. I’m calling spooky tomorrow and was going to ask for a whole magnet assembly but I would think that this item isn’t specifics to spooky and might be available elsewhere.

Never had to replace my magnet core yet. When you call Spooky make sure they agree this is most likely…they may have other ideas. They probably will give you the part number from “x” manufacturer/distributor (could be pinballlife). Good luck!

#6678 2 years ago

Do you have the plastic over the magnet or just the sticker?

#6679 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Do you have the plastic over the magnet or just the sticker?

Just a sticker and it was messing before I put it in. I’ve read the posts about the plastic core cover but as dead as mine seems I tend to doubt that there is that much friction especially if it worked before without anything on it. Cheap enough to try though so I’ll give it a whirl.

#6680 2 years ago

Just a sticker and it was messing before I put it in. I’ve read the posts about the plastic core cover but as dead as mine seems I tend to doubt that there is that much friction especially if it worked before without anything on it. Cheap enough to try though so I’ll give it a whirl.

Mine didnt work correctly, so I put on the core cover. It was hit and miss, then I cut the capacitor out and it has not missed since. So maybe the cover had something to do with it.

#6681 2 years ago

Resistor. Resistor, resistor.

#6682 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

For sure… my bad!

#6683 2 years ago
Quoted from aeneas:

I emailed Charlie about it and got as answer on acnc it's not necessary to replace them..

Based on the space between the flipper and the playfield mine had, it was definitely necessary. Every person who has played it since I made the swap comments on how much better the game plays. I also thing this has led to a lot of the coil temp issues, but I don't have a way to test that. Bottom line is flippers shouldn't be so high off the playfield that the ball his on only the bottom half of the flipper rubber.

#6684 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Funny, I went back to his post to see what it was called. Lol

#6685 2 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Funny, I went back to his post to see what it was called. Lol

Sorry

#6686 2 years ago

Nah, it's okay. I'm just being an ass. (Though, I would laugh if someone went to replace it WITh a capacitor, and blow the whole darn thing up. )

#6687 2 years ago
Quoted from Coyote:

Nah, it's okay. I'm just being an ass. (Though, I would laugh if someone went to replace it WITh a capacitor, and blow the whole darn thing up. )

Haha yah it might launch the ball straight up through the glass!

#6688 2 years ago

I can actually see that there’s a crypt drop target under the castle now.

Colors change with the monster modes.

7A5EB4A3-2CD1-4D92-AD5A-C3FDC12FBEDD.jpeg7A5EB4A3-2CD1-4D92-AD5A-C3FDC12FBEDD.jpegBCDF93B2-5FB3-447D-A94D-FE57A937B90A.jpegBCDF93B2-5FB3-447D-A94D-FE57A937B90A.jpeg
#6689 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I can actually see that there’s a crypt drop target under the castle now.
Colors change with the monster modes

Nice! Where can I get one?

#6690 2 years ago

I want one also
Magicchiz

#6691 2 years ago

I have the drop with one colored light but how did you get the color changing?

Very nice!

#6692 2 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Very nice!

I'm doing this to my game. I got an extra insert lamp board, a translucent drop, and will be connecting the lamp board in-line with the insert, so in my game, it'll match the insert that's pointing to it.

#6693 2 years ago

Did you guys get the drop target from Zitt pinball-mods.com? Are they the Bally Williams style?

#6696 2 years ago

Nice! Where can I get one?

Quoted from Magicchiz:

I want one also
Magicchiz

Quoted from rockrand:

Very nice!

It's basically the same process as how I made my under cabinet lights change with the monster modes. The only difference is that I had to fabricate a bracket to direct my LED strip at the drop target.

See this page and scroll down to my post #11389 for a how to: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aw-jeez-official-rick-and-morty-club/page/228#post-11389

#6697 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

My game is generally not doing that lowering on the second guillotine shot. Most times, the ball just rolls through and registers another cut/shot. I still have the odd phantom skill shot awarded before the ball is even plunged. Still need to go through all the connectors again….

Found the problem with a lot of help from rotordave and using the log files to see what was going on. Turned out to be one of the small boards underneath the play field. In switch test the switch on the drop target 2 (36?) was not always registering. Further proved it was the board by connecting pin 10 to pin 6 to close the ‘switch’ and not always registering. Pin 6 is the coloured wire from the second drop target. The phantom skill shot was happening when drop target 2 would reset and the game logic thought that it was part of the game, where as it seemed to be when the signal via the board would randomly get through. At the beginnng of a new ball, the 2nd crypt drop target is supposed to reset if there is not a ball locked in the crypt. Sounds a bit garbled, but we proved it by swapping the boards around and setting the dip switches appropriately. The dodgy board was moved so that it now registers the first lane on the left on the upper play field. The phantom skill shots have gone and the game is now playing more consistently.

#6698 2 years ago

My acnc is not releasing the ball at end of game from the crypt lock. Spooky does not call customers just text assistance. Not sure why this is to be honest. Switch is not releasing ball. Any idea what this could be? In test switch not working. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

#6699 2 years ago
Quoted from calprog:My acnc is not releasing the ball at end of game from the crypt lock. Spooky does not call customers just text assistance. Not sure why this is to be honest. Switch is not releasing ball. Any idea what this could be? In test switch not working. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks!

Replace the switch? lol

#6700 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Replace the switch? lol

Lol. This game does this all the time. Who knows what it is now. Switch works off and on. Now it won’t release the ball and end of game. A great design. Lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 300.00
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 14.00
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Lighting - Led
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Cento Creations

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 8,003 posts in this topic. You are on page 134 of 161.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/134?hl=paulatron and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.