(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,997 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by finnflash
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230920_094337_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 160.
#6351 2 years ago

Hello all, I am helping my buddy HopBeard work on his recently acquired ACNC and troubleshooting various problems his machine is having that seem to be consistent with this game historically and faulty switches. His is on the newest code version.

The game is losing track of balls at various points, sometimes all balls in trough isn't registering and other times the locked balls aren't recognized and the game then goes to ball check after the drain and gives some bonus balls while disrupting the game flow. He has recently replaced the balls with high carbon balls, and that didn't solve the issues. He also reached out to Spooky and received a couple extra switches and a new amp for the speakers which were shorting out / feeding back through the sub channel.

We have seen that the game seems to work OK for a few games and once things start failing then they continue to get worse and the game becomes unplayable, and rebooting at that point doesn't solve the issues.

specifically we're going to try to adjust / reflow / replace:
right frank lock switch(es)
crypt switch(es)
trough switches

My questions:
Are we missing anything obvious, for others who have worked on these issues?
Any particular recommended sequence for working through these?
Can the crypt switches be adjusted or worked on without removing the upper playfield?

Thanks in advance.....

#6352 2 years ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

Can the crypt switches be adjusted or worked on without removing the upper playfield?

I needed to remove the crypt "extension" but not the upper playfield to get to the opto that was giving me trouble. Also removed were a lot of the plastics to get access but not the entire upper play field. It was intermittant but I noticed in switch test that when I made contact with the opto it would work. I suspected that the solder joints were bad from the opto so I reflowed them and it worked. For me being able to wiggle the suspect part to find the error was key to troubleshooting.

I did not have to get to any more switches back there so I do not know if the upper playfield would need to be removed to get back there any more. I did the soldering above the game on a piece of wood because I was not able to completely remove the opto.

As this is the only thing I have done to the machine I will leave the rest of the advice to others!

#6353 2 years ago

Hello all, I am helping my buddy HopBeard work on his recently acquired ACNC and troubleshooting various problems his machine is having that seem to be consistent with this game historically and faulty switches. His is on the newest code version.
The game is losing track of balls at various points, sometimes all balls in trough isn't registering and other times the locked balls aren't recognized and the game then goes to ball check after the drain and gives some bonus balls while disrupting the game flow. He has recently replaced the balls with high carbon balls, and that didn't solve the issues. He also reached out to Spooky and received a couple extra switches and a new amp for the speakers which were shorting out / feeding back through the sub channel.
We have seen that the game seems to work OK for a few games and once things start failing then they continue to get worse and the game becomes unplayable, and rebooting at that point doesn't solve the issues.
crypt switch(es)
trough switches
My questions:
Thanks in advance.....

I had similar issues and in the end it was magnetized balls. Had to replace the amp, several switches were sent to replace the Frank locks, only the right side on mine needs attention. Spooky even sent me new balls and I used those. Tell them you need new balls and I’m sure they will send some. Great service.

#6354 2 years ago

When I had those same issues you are describing, mine was also magnetized balls. Once I replaced the balls, most of the issues went away. I have not had any problems with any of my opto's, but I did have a problem with one of the rollover switches in the subway that was intermittent no matter how many adjustments I made on it. I replaced it with an MRS switch from Sonic and have never had a missed switch activation down there again.

#6355 2 years ago

crypt switch(es)
trough switches
My questions:
Thanks in advance.....

I suggest going through the game and making sure all your opto wires are pushed securely into their IDC connectors. 99% of my issues with Spooky games have been a wire not seated properly into the IDC connectors.

The other 1% was magnetized balls in Alice Cooper.

#6356 2 years ago
Quoted from QuietEarp:

I hope to be here complaining about a lack of code updates with the rest of you for a while!

Welcome - and good luck with that!

#6357 2 years ago
Quoted from Jakers:

I suggest going through the game and making sure all your opto wires are pushed securely into their IDC connectors. 99% of my issues with Spooky games have been a wire not seated properly into the IDC connectors.
The other 1% was magnetized balls in Alice Cooper.

Your on the bench tonight big guy!

Matt

#6358 2 years ago

Just joined the club today. Initial impressions are awesome. Lots going on in this game. @Sonic....without going through this entire thread, is there an MRS we need for ACNC?

#6359 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Just joined the club today. Initial impressions are awesome. Lots going on in this game. Sonic....without going through this entire thread, is there an MRS we need for ACNC?

Not a need unless you have issues with a switch, that being said, I replaced my left subway switch with one due to inconsistent behavior. Been 100% since. And congrats on your acquisition!!

#6360 2 years ago

So far, game plays great. No issues to deal with yet.

#6361 2 years ago
Quoted from epeabs:

So far, game plays great. No issues to deal with yet.

No issues = no need for an MRS!

Matt

#6362 2 years ago

Collected ACNC this week and have played a few games. Very good game.

Got some issues though, including skill shot being awarded before even launching ball and random balls being launched. I understand these can be caused by loose connectors / bad opto switch solder joints. Noisy top flipper, very buzzy - solution turned up the volume. Same solution for the fan noise.

However, my main issue is the guillotine blade is not attached to the guillotine trapdoor. Does anyone know how the rod from the blade inside the scaffold is attached to the trapdoor? Possibly post a photo?

Have reached out to Spooky support, but no response yet.

#6363 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Collected ACNC this week and have played a few games. Very good game.
Got some issues though, including skill shot being awarded before even launching ball and random balls being launched. I understand these can be caused by loose connectors / bad opto switch solder joints. Noisy top flipper, very buzzy - solution turned up the volume. Same solution for the fan noise.
However, my main issue is the guillotine blade is not attached to the guillotine trapdoor. Does anyone know how the rod from the blade inside the scaffold is attached to the trapdoor? Possibly post a photo?
Have reached out to Spooky support, but no response yet.

Here you find some videos for explanation, e.g. concerning the guillotine...
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/79#post-5468641

1 week later
#6364 2 years ago

Well, after playing pinball for 3 hours yesterday mostly on Stern machines I have come to this conclusion about my ACNC, if Spooky would have put in more post switches and turned those thunks into something more pleasant this game would be so much better...Just my opinion..

#6365 2 years ago
Quoted from kciaccio:

Well, After playing pinball for 3 hours mostly on Stern machines I have come to this conclusion about my ACNC, if spooky would have put in more post switches and turned those thunks into something more pleasant this game would be so much better...Just my opinion..

So you get rewarded for missing your shots?

Seriously though, it is a hard shooter, no mistake.

While I love it as it is (I like a hard pin) if it was my design I would have considered combining the Mystery and Secret Passage shots (or moved mystery to the side scoop) and widened the remaining shots a little ... would have made the game a little more accessible to the average player.

rd

#6366 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

While I love it as it is (I like a hard pin) if it was my design I would have considered combining the Mystery and Secret Passage shots (or moved mystery to the side scoop) and widened the remaining shots a little ... would have made the game a little more accessible to the average player.
rd

Not any easier, but putting post switches that gave you say 100 points and had a thunder sound, or a creak, or a sigh... something that ultimately wouldn't change scoring much but made you "feel" better about flailing about? There's a lot to be said for stuff like that.

Of course, you often get more brutal ball returns STDM from post switches if they're poorly aligned, so there's that.

#6367 2 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Not any easier, but putting post switches that gave you say 100 points and had a thunder sound, or a creak, or a sigh... something that ultimately wouldn't change scoring much but made you "feel" better about flailing about? There's a lot to be said for stuff like that.
Of course, you often get more brutal ball returns STDM from post switches if they're poorly aligned, so there's that.

Not sure you get more brutal returns than those posts with titans on them ...It was just an observation after playing Stern games all afternoon and then playing my ACNC...

#6368 2 years ago

I think the problem people have with this game is impatience. Spooky games are much bouncier in general than any other game. If you don't have ball control on spooky games they are a flail and brick fest. Once you pay attention to ball hop and bounce you will play better on spooky games. Drop catches and dead flips are the keys to these bouncy games.

#6369 2 years ago
Quoted from KingHebes:

I think the problem people have with this game is impatience. Spooky games are much bouncier in general than any other game. If you don't have ball control on spooky games they are a flail and brick fest. Once you pay attention to ball hop and bounce you will play better on spooky games. Drop catches and dead flips are the keys to these bouncy games.

I tell you what ...

A buddy of mine bought a used ACNC.

I hadn’t seen him for a while, and he came around to my place for a tournament.

His playing had improved MARKEDLY after playing ACNC for a few months. Like, I was surprised how much better he was.

So, there’s that.

rd

#6370 2 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

something that ultimately wouldn't change scoring much but made you "feel" better about flailing about?

Funny ... I thought about this today while I was playing Medieval Madness.

Guess what. Posts.

AFM next to it. Posts.

Most of the 90s pins are posts.

Targets seems to be a Stern thing I guess.

rd

#6371 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I tell you what ...
His playing had improved MARKEDLY after playing ACNC for a few months. Like, I was surprised how much better he was.
So, there’s that.
rd

All my pins teach me different things. C'mon Dave, you know that.

Orbit 1 teaches me ball control, GnR teaches me backhand, AFM teaches me to pay attention to rules.

But most of all i like playing against people that are better than me.

They teach me new skills. like sliding!

But you are 100% correct, Alice teaches me to trap and shoot.

#6372 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

But you are 100% correct, Alice teaches me to trap and shoot.

If you don’t do that, you’re toast.

rd

#6373 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

rd

I’m glad to hear that I’m not the only one that thinks about how they could have given every shot a few more millimeters. The two most obvious things would have been to make the triple switch monster switches a single switch and move it closer to the player. They could have also made the launch ramp shorter which would have given more space to that right orbit shot.

Metal ramps with the razor thin bumper pads (like Deadpool) have a much smaller profile than actual posts too.

I still enjoy the game and it’s stayed a long time in my collection, but only my son and pinball friends appreciate it as it’s too hard for the wife/daughter/casual player.

#6374 2 years ago

It’s definitely a tight shooter but I really like having a game like this in my collection. Also, this is how you do a upper playfield. Cough cough Mandalorian.

#6375 2 years ago

The Alice upper playfield is solid for sure, but for the same reason why Alice is a good change of pace game, the Mando upper is a nice change of pace upper playfield. Short and sweet like the shadow. So when you do manage to be up there for a while, it feels great (hopefully).

#6376 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

The Alice upper playfield is solid for sure, but for the same reason why Alice is a good change of pace game, the Mando upper is a nice change of pace upper playfield. Short and sweet like the shadow. So when you do manage to be up there for a while, it feels great (hopefully).

The shadow is fun as the small area is played with that moving bumper instead of full length flippers. I fear Mando will be more like playing Stewie/Donkey/Munsters mini pinball, where it feels like a chore (or just slowing down the game progress) once the novelty wears off.

Shall see...

#6377 2 years ago

I got zero Munsters Family guy vibes from that playfield. I can see it being very frustrating, but rewarding once you figure it out. And it really only comes into play when you want it to.

#6378 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I have to admit, Chuck is an upper pf genious and I hope that comes to bear fruit in Spooky's next game. (IMO ACNC has the best upper pf ever, and it's not even close.)

Mando upper pf didn't look very interesting to me, but will have to reserve judgement until I get my hands on it.

#6379 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

I have to admit, Chuck is an upper pf genious and I hope that comes to bear fruit in Spooky's next game. (IMO ACNC has the best upper pf ever, and it's not even close.)
Mando upper pf didn't look very interesting to me, but will have to reserve judgement until I get my hands on it.

I agree, Mando's upper playfield feels like it will be a flail fest. Especially after watching Jack Danger on it yesterday during the live stream..ACNC you can actually plan the shots.

#6380 2 years ago

Anybody else noticing ACNC's going up for sale around 7k and getting snatched up almost immediately?

What is the demand for these things? I'm not near selling it but I'm intrigued by the second market sales I've been seeing.

#6381 2 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

Anybody else noticing ACNC's going up for sale around 7k and getting snatched up almost immediately?
What is the demand for these things? I'm not near selling it but I'm intrigued by the second market sales I've been seeing.

Unlike all these LE/CE games that are selling well above the original NIB cost (and classics that have doubled+ in value), ACNC was more than $7k after taxes, factory upgrades, shipping, etc., so I don't see $7k as being an enticing enough value to get these dumped by owners that aren't tired of the game.

$7k also wouldn't be a huge bump over normal used prices for ACNC ($6200-$6800?).

Initially 500 games was more than enough to satisfy demand (no FOMO), especially with more freely available options and cheaper classics at the time of release, but the recent craze is starting to make ACNC look like a bargain for a rare, loaded game (and AMH a steal).

#6382 2 years ago

Any other owners out there put Pinstadiums in their game? If so, which product and are you happy with it? My game is currently at my dads house, who is in his 60’s, and he doesn’t like playing it because it’s so dark and he can’t see it that well. I’d love for him to be able to enjoy the game and this seems like a solid solution.

#6383 2 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

Any other owners out there put Pinstadiums in their game? If so, which product and are you happy with it? My game is currently at my dads house, who is in his 60’s, and he doesn’t like playing it because it’s so dark and he can’t see it that well. I’d love for him to be able to enjoy the game and this seems like a solid solution.

I did the Neos. It looks amazing. Soo much brighter on the playfield and they interact very well with the game.

#6384 2 years ago

Got my Alice Cooper translight autograph, sketch and got a quote from the man himself ... And i love this pin even more now.

20210522_122323 (resized).jpg20210522_122323 (resized).jpg
#6385 2 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

Got my Alice Cooper translight autograph, sketch and got a quote from the man himself ... And i love this pin even more now.
[quoted image]

This has been on my to-do list, I swear.

#6386 2 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Agree - ACNC upper playfield is one of the best. Hey, I can’t actually think of a better one.

The Shadow would be up there as well.

Mando one looks like the Aerosmith LE/premium one. Just whack the ball around. That ain’t no fun. But hey, I haven’t played it. Just my first impression.

rd

#6387 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Agree - ACNC upper playfield is one of the best. Hey, I can’t actually think of a better one.
The Shadow would be up there as well.
Mando one looks like the Aerosmith LE/premium one. Just whack the ball around. That ain’t no fun. But hey, I haven’t played it. Just my first impression.
rd

Aerosmith is light all the standups to light the loop, then do the back loop and avoid the right ramp drain. There is method to it.

#6388 2 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

[quoted image]

So what’s the story behind that?

#6389 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

There is method to it.

Oh, no doubt.

I was more referring to the play style of just whacking away at stand ups close to the flippers. Not particularly satisfying.

rd

#6390 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Aerosmith is light all the standups to light the loop, then do the back loop and avoid the right ramp drain. There is method to it.

But that’s the only method to it right?

It seems with Mando the task has 9 different variations plus bonus rounds.

#6391 2 years ago

Dunno mate, haven't even looked at the latest Sterns, but have an ASle

#6392 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

Dunno mate, haven't even looked at the latest Sterns, but have an ASle

That was my question though. In Aerosmith. Is the trip to the upper the playfield the same goal every time?

#6393 2 years ago

If you have the lock lit you can go for a back door lock as well, but it's fairly one dimensional. My only point is it's not just bash it around, there is goals, although quite simple.

#6394 2 years ago
Quoted from punkin:

back door lock

Sounds like something out of a 70s porn ...

rd

#6395 2 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I tell you what ...
So, there’s that.
rd

That cannot be me yet!!!

#6396 2 years ago

With some help from the videos and RotorDave, I have fixed the issues I was having. The skill shot awards were caused by loose connectors under the playfield to / from the optos. When the servos or drop target coils were firing, they were causing the loose sockets to register falsely. The shaker motor was also causing it too.

Solution was to bend the pins out slightly to make tighter connection to the IDC connectors.

Game is now harder without the phantom scores being added!!

#6397 2 years ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

That cannot be me yet!!!

No, the previous owner.

rd

#6398 2 years ago
Quoted from riggy469:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/110#post-5978833

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/127#post-6246563

#6399 2 years ago

I’d just like to say Spooky’s just the coolest company. I called with a servo issue, stated my name and they just said “oh yes you own an Alice cooper”, and are now in the processor sending the replacement parts. Just absolutely stand up company. Is this the same for other companies? Like would Stern know who you are?

#6400 2 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

I’d just like to say Spooky’s just the coolest company. I called with a servo issue, stated my name and they just said “oh yes you own an Alice cooper”, and are now in the processor sending the replacement parts. Just absolutely stand up company. Is this the same for other companies? Like would Stern know who you are?

No because they only sell to distributors not individuals.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
7,057 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 0.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 160.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/128 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.