New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5,329 posts
  • 302 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 minutes ago by sleepygtr
  • Topic is favorited by 120 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 918 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FB_IMG_1601980903720 (resized).jpg
0362988A-3464-469F-9690-8D0989A8A111 (resized).jpeg
20201015_152729 (resized).jpg
E8888404-04F2-41F9-9C86-4B936F35C715 (resized).jpeg
pb72 (resized).jpg
e4680da2c518f174084190d5345986e86dee77ad (resized).jpg
E2C3E274-154A-4ABC-943F-C03BDD0EF664 (resized).jpeg
20200920_130438 (resized).jpg
36DB182D-ECA8-4EB6-BC8E-9A84038C616F (resized).jpeg
B9C2157E-E3C9-459D-A379-C0507A241F69 (resized).jpeg
received_960534534428464 (resized).jpeg
20200913_144143 (resized).jpg
BA982500-5B80-47A5-A95B-7D8329532FFB (resized).jpeg
Ballroom info Screen (resized).png
619164D3-9990-406E-BAA8-E7978AA67048 (resized).jpeg
0B17DBB1-838C-439F-A634-BF7063F8764C (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

11 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5329 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 107.
#5301 2 days ago
Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Was there a reliable fix for the scoop shooting sdtm frequently? I got it to be slightly better adjusting the scoop power settings, but its very inconsistent.
Sometimes goes to left flipper, sometimes right, sometimes sdtm.
I'm a little scared to bend the metal since dont want to risk permanently breaking it

I was having problems with the scoop going straight down the middle and/or inconsistent to other flipper with my new game. It was really interfering with gameplay to the point where I had to do something. Very hard to make any actual physical adjustments with the scoop, however a couple weeks ago someone had mentioned on this forum to "grab a vise grip and give it a little twist." Took me a minute to absorb the response, but ultimately that was exactly what made the scoop reliable with every shot...whew.
Lift to playfield, grab a decent sized vise grip, grab onto the scoop (nearest to the playfield you can, watching out for the connections), and give a strong clockwise turn. It will not budge much and it'll be hard to feel as though it moved at all, but that's all it takes to get it reliably to the right flipper with every scoop release.

Now, if I can just find some reliable fix to make the shot from the trough around the orbit every time (my shots will only go around the orbit 50% of the time, the other 50%. It seems as though it rattles about and only makes it either halfway and comes out of the secret passage, or dribbles back down the right orbit). I took the graveyard and plastic off of the right side to take a good look. There was a little bit of inappropriate warp in that metal overlying the shooter lane which I was able to remove and make better, but that didn't seem to fix the issue. made note of a previous post regarding the wood that follows the left hand side of the shooter lane, which in my case looked straight and did not demonstrate any unusual gap that would need to be further straightened up. I could not see any physical obstructions as far as my eye could see (which is about 50% of the orbit before the upper play field obstructs view)... Just wish now that I could make that more reliable.
One thing I did notice is that my game, unlike other games that I have and have had, when the ball releases from the trough, normally it sits on two metal prongs at the base of the shooter lane, however on my game, there are no metal prongs, it only sits on the tip of a plastic plunger that is within the coil sleeve of the shooter coil. Does anyone else have metal prongs in their game, or when the ball releases, just sits on that plastic plunger?

#5302 2 days ago
Quoted from darkryder:

What's the permanent fix for the two Frank lock switches? If I don't play mine for a while, the first time I make a left or right Frank shot, the shots don't register and I have to pull the glass. If I fiddle with the switches a little, they work again for a while and then stop registering shots again. Is there a leveling adjustment for the Frank servo or do I need to replace or adjust the switches? I quit playing the game a long time ago because of frustrating little issues like this right out of the box.

I have this exact issue as well.

#5303 2 days ago

On another note, was reading through the forum and saw that video produced by spooky with the three different ways to inactivate the resistor by the magnet for those who are having issues with the save magnet in between the flippers tossing the ball reliably (all producing the same end result). I chose option two, and now the toss from the magnet is really great, I mean, wow... I would say that still sometimes it only makes a small bump, but 90% of the time it really tosses it around, and it's awesome! I was just playing a game earlier today and it tossed it up the right ramp! Wow! This game is really great, and so unexpectedly addictive, I can't get enough of it.

#5304 2 days ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

I was having problems with the scoop going straight down the middle and/or inconsistent to other flipper with my new game. It was really interfering with gameplay to the point where I had to do something. Very hard to make any actual physical adjustments with the scoop, however a couple weeks ago someone had mentioned on this forum to "grab a vise grip and give it a little twist." Took me a minute to absorb the response, but ultimately that was exactly what made the scoop reliable with every shot...whew.
Lift to playfield, grab a decent sized vise grip, grab onto the scoop (nearest to the playfield you can, watching out for the connections), and give a strong clockwise turn. It will not budge much and it'll be hard to feel as though it moved at all, but that's all it takes to get it reliably to the right flipper with every scoop release.

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a shot. Glad I asked, I had read something about pulling the scoop with a vice before, but I was assuming that it the portion above the playfield.

#5305 2 days ago

I have been considering my next pinball purchase and for a while now ACNC has been top of my short list, I have played about 10 games or so on it on location about 200km from my home, so I can't go there often.
I really enjoyed the tight shots and aspects of the gameplay, but reading up more about the game here and watching a couple of videos I think I have found what for me could be a deal-breaker.

The scoring - from what I understand there is a 1billion point shot? so while 500mill is a great score someone could have a lucky game that would have scored 300mill but then they the achieve the billion shot so they end up with 1.3billion although technically the player who got 500mill played a much better game.
So in a home use environment once you get the billion shot then the only way to beat that score is to do better and include the billion shot, it would be near impossible to beat without it.
This IMO makes the scoring very unballanced and is the same reason that although I love my Pinbot I would never get Bride Of Pinbot because of the billion shot which reduces the entire game to trying to get just one shot. (yes I know you have to set it up, but it's still one shot)

Also I noticed that in this video

when they got to the Billion $ babies mode (which I assume gives you the billion points if you complete it?) when the timer ran out it was game over. WTF???? so you can still have a ball in play but if you don't complete the mode in time it's game over and flippers go dead? Does that only happen in co-op mode or single player also? I would feel super ripped off, pinball should not have a timed end point IMO. I also read that the game is somehow "capped"? does that mean that it's game over once you complete the wizard mode??? once again WTF?

Disclaimer I have not read all 107 pages here so I might not be understanding the code properly, please explain if I am mistaken.

Note for many people this would not be an issue and it wouldn't bother me on location, but for home use I think it would.

#5306 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

I have been considering my next pinball purchase and for a while now ACNC has been top of my short list, I have played about 10 games or so on it on location about 200km from my home, so I can't go there often.
I really enjoyed the tight shots and aspects of the gameplay, but reading up more about the game here and watching a couple of videos I think I have found what for me could be a deal-breaker.
The scoring - from what I understand there is a 1billion point shot? so while 500mill is a great score someone could have a lucky game that would have scored 300mill but then they the achieve the billion shot so they end up with 1.3billion although technically the player who got 500mill played a much better game.
So in a home use environment once you get the billion shot then the only way to beat that score is to do better and include the billion shot, it would be near impossible to beat without it.
This IMO makes the scoring very unballanced and is the same reason that although I love my Pinbot I would never get Bride Of Pinbot because of the billion shot which reduces the entire game to trying to get just one shot. (yes I know you have to set it up, but it's still one shot)
Also I noticed that in this video when they got to the Billion $ babies mode (which I assume gives you the billion points if you complete it?) when the timer ran out it was game over. WTF???? so you can still have a ball in play but if you don't complete the mode in time it's game over and flippers go dead? Does that only happen in co-op mode or single player also? I would feel super ripped off, pinball should not have a timed end point IMO. I also read that the game is somehow "capped"? does that mean that it's game over once you complete the wizard mode??? once again WTF?
Disclaimer I have not read all 107 pages here so I might not be understanding the code properly, please explain if I am mistaken.
Note for many people this would not be an issue and it wouldn't bother me on location, but for home use I think it would.

I think once you play this game for a while, you'll have a challenging enough time to not care about this at all.

#5307 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

This IMO makes the scoring very unballanced and is the same reason that although I love my Pinbot I would never get Bride Of Pinbot because of the billion shot which reduces the entire game to trying to get just one shot.

I’m COMPLETELY with you on BOP, the billion point shot ruins that game. The billion on BOP is a relatively easy accomplishment. Alice is not BOP.

I am a fairly good player and have not yet even sniffed that shot in over 6 months of owning Alice. And that includes playing it every free second I had for the first couple months. I see the Alice billion as I see Valinor on LOTR, or (insert any once in a very great while pinball wizard mode).

Alice is a fantastic game. If anything it’s too difficult for the average player, and I can definitely see why it’s not for everyone. But I can’t imagine any player anywhere being good enough to be bothered by the billion potential on this game.

#5308 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

Also I noticed that in this video when they got to the Billion $ babies mode (which I assume gives you the billion points if you complete it?) when the timer ran out it was game over. WTF???? so you can still have a ball in play but if you don't complete the mode in time it's game over and flippers go dead? Does that only happen in co-op mode or single player also? I would feel super ripped off, pinball should not have a timed end point IMO. I also read that the game is somehow "capped"? does that mean that it's game over once you complete the wizard mode??? once again WTF?

Game is over when you complete the wizard mode. Just like TNA.

Personally I don’t have an issue with it... I’ve only beaten a handful of games that I’ve owned, and once I did, the game felt like it was over anyway.

#5309 2 days ago

Thanks for the replies, yeah OK perhaps I could live with the billion shot, although I still think it's unballanced and unnecessary.

But this is a deal breaker for me.....

Quoted from 27dnast:

Game is over when you complete the wizard mode. Just like TNA.

Wow, now that really is dirty pool, I win and instead of rewarding me the game kicks me in the nuts and tells me my game over even though I didn't drain, thus cheating me. FFS that is not a reward

Why not just have it start everything again but make it a little more difficult to achieve each mode the second time? Not many people would ever get through the wizard mode twice in one game but knowing that it is possible and the game and scoring is limitless is what pinball is all about to me.

I'm glad that you guys are enjoying Alice and not bothered by this coding, but to me Pinball has no end, that is it's beauty.

See you round, I'm off to the new GNR thread with everyone else

#5310 2 days ago

You’ve never played this game clearly.

#5311 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

Thanks for the replies, yeah OK perhaps I could live with the billion shot, although I still think it's unballanced and unnecessary

I think you’ve barked up the wrong tree.

There isn’t a billion point shot like BOP.

You get 1b points for completing the wizard mode (Billion dollar babies) and winning the game.

If you can do that, you’re either a very good player or your machine is set up very easily.

Even getting to the wizard mode is very hard - most can only do it by playing co-op mode by themselves.

To give you an idea, I’ve got to B$B three times. And Danni has once. Admittedly, our game is set up pretty hard ... as are all our games. I haven’t beaten it yet ... almost did ...

So I don’t think there’s any worries about being unbalanced.

rd

#5312 2 days ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

You’ve never played this game clearly.

Played it and enjoyed it as stated in my first post in this thread, just because I'm not a gushing fanboy doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my opinion about the code.

Quoted from rotordave:

I think you’ve barked up the wrong tree.
There isn’t a billion point shot like BOP.
You get 1b points for completing the wizard mode (Billion dollar babies) and winning the game.
If you can do that, you’re either a very good player or your machine is set up very easily.
Even getting to the wizard mode is very hard - most can only do it by playing co-op mode by themselves.
To give you an idea, I’ve got to B$B three times. And Danni has once. Admittedly, our game is set up pretty hard ... as are all our games. I haven’t beaten it yet ... almost did ...
So I don’t think there’s any worries about being unbalanced.
rd

Rotordave I appreciate your input and respect your opinion, but from what I can see having the code do that changes everything and not in a good way.
So in a home environment once you have completed wizard mode and got your billion, to beat that score on your next game you would have to actually avoid completing the wizard mode for longer so that you can score more "normal" points before getting the billion, making the new objective trying to avoid wizard mode.
What do you think about the game ending after completing wizard Dave?
I think these things are probably more of an issue for me because I only have three pins (and five arcade games) in my games room. Currently selling Flintstones (great game just time to move it on) and whatever I buy to replace it needs to tick all the boxes for me. Alice went close, but this as I said seems like a deal breaker for me.

Enjoy your games everyone, I will still play ACNC when I see it but it won't be joining my collection.

#5313 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

Bye!

#5314 2 days ago

I hate to say this, but #pinsidebabies

#5315 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

What do you think about the game ending after completing wizard Dave?

I don’t have a real problem with it.

To be honest, it’s always an anticlimax on most games when you beat a wizard mode and it all just starts again from the beginning.

I like the concept of “yeah! I f**king did it!” Then just walk off like you own the place.

But like I said before, it’s sort of a moot point, because it’s a very hard thing to do anyway. Read through the thread, only a handful of people have done it in single player play.

If it was easy to do ... yeah, I would agree with you.

Funny aside .. just remembered about the guy in the X-Men thread who was always complaining that there was no “super wizard mode” for completing both Danger Room AND Dark Phoenix (which is very very hard to do). After about 2 years of moaning, he let it slip that he had never completed more than 2 Villain modes anyway! Haha. Pretty funny.

Anyways, I would recommend ACNC. I have 10 games at my place, it gets more play than the rest by far. A challenging and rewarding game.

rd

#5316 2 days ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Ha! I didn’t realize the speaker panels on my game were “upside down”. I’ll have to look at it more closely.

I prefer it the way you have it (upside down) as the blue trim and purple at the back of the playfield flow nicely through to the green at the top.

#5317 2 days ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I don’t have a real problem with it.
To be honest, it’s always an anticlimax on most games when you beat a wizard mode and it all just starts again from the beginning.
I like the concept of “yeah! I f**king did it!” Then just walk off like you own the place.
But like I said before, it’s sort of a moot point, because it’s a very hard thing to do anyway. Read through the thread, only a handful of people have done it in single player play.
If it was easy to do ... yeah, I would agree with you.
Funny aside .. just remembered about the guy in the X-Men thread who was always complaining that there was no “super wizard mode” for completing both Danger Room AND Dark Phoenix (which is very very hard to do). After about 2 years of moaning, he let it slip that he had never completed more than 2 Villain modes anyway! Haha. Pretty funny.
Anyways, I would recommend ACNC. I have 10 games at my place, it gets more play than the rest by far. A challenging and rewarding game.
rd

I completely agree. Most games will just start all over so I don't mind if it just ends. I had mine for about a year and never got into striking range of the wizard mode. I find I play my ACNC more because the games are shorter. I have a WOZ which is bolted to the floor but game times can run kinda long. I think the brutal aspect of ACNC will make me keep longer.

#5318 2 days ago
Quoted from Marvello:

I prefer it the way you have it (upside down) as the blue trim and purple at the back of the playfield flow nicely through to the green at the top.

Thank you. Upon closer inspection I decided I like it better too. So I’ll be keeping it that way.

#5319 2 days ago
Quoted from Rat:

Thanks for the replies, yeah OK perhaps I could live with the billion shot, although I still think it's unballanced and unnecessary.

Wow, now that really is dirty pool, I win and instead of rewarding me the game kicks me in the nuts and tells me my game over even though I didn't drain, thus cheating me. FFS that is not a reward
Why not just have it start everything again but make it a little more difficult to achieve each mode the second time? Not many people would ever get through the wizard mode twice in one game but knowing that it is possible and the game and scoring is limitless is what pinball is all about to me.
I'm glad that you guys are enjoying Alice and not bothered by this coding, but to me Pinball has no end, that is it's beauty.

So it sounds like you prefer easier games over more difficult ones, nothing wrong with that. As others have tried to say, if having the game end after beating wizard mode is a deal breaker for you then you probably haven’t played this game enough! I haven’t played the new GNR yet, but after seeing the gameplay streams I’m not nearly as excited as I was when they first released the pics of it.

#5320 1 day ago
Quoted from Rat:

Played it and enjoyed it as stated in my first post in this thread, just because I'm not a gushing fanboy doesn't mean I'm not entitled to my opinion about the code.

You are entitled to your opinion, but the bottom line is that it’s a near certainty that you’ll never even see the thing you consider to be the deal breaker.

#5321 1 day ago

rat

If you're looking for reasons not to buy, you're gonna have a bad time. I could point out a flaw or something I don't like about every game. The "flaws" you pointed out are mostly unknown to most people. I own the pin and have never even achieved BDB. You'd have several months and probably years playing this game without ever getting close to what your complaints are.

I agree the game shouldn't end btw. Those are the rules on TNA and originally to me that was also a turnoff. But then I played the game and the best I've ever done is reactor 6 I think? I've never come close and I've had several dozens of hours of enjoyment, so that's not a deal breaker to me anymore. I understand your viewpoint, but I think you were just looking for any reason to move on, and you've found it. gl sir!

#5322 1 day ago
Quoted from Rat:

But you can leave the GNR thread directly because it has somerthing similar, switching flippers off if you’d playing a song bad ....

#5323 1 day ago

Saw a bunch of fresh posts and was hoping to see that some code had dropped...

#5324 1 day ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

So it sounds like you prefer easier games over more difficult ones, nothing wrong with that.

No, actually the tight shots of ACNC is one of the best things about it especially for home use IMO.

Quoted from MEuRaH:

If you're looking for reasons not to buy, you're gonna have a bad time. I could point out a flaw or something I don't like about every game. The "flaws" you pointed out are mostly unknown to most people.

Yeah I agree, I do overthink purchases and make it a chore for myself (pins, MTBs, car etc) but in the end when it's all over I'm usually very happy with what I buy.

Quoted from the_one:

But you can leave the GNR thread directly because it has somerthing similar, switching flippers off if you’d playing a song bad ....

The "booed off stage" feature works very differently and I think it's a good feature, really it just ends the mode if you are not playing the mode well but yes the flippers go dead and the mode stops and the ball is returned to the shooter lane. So there is no real penalty other than the mode is ended in a dramatic way if you are not playing well.
But on ACNC if you do really well it's game over walk away.

Here is a description of GnR quoted from Pinball News
"If you’re not playing well and your Rock-It Meter gets to the bottom, you will be booed off stage. The flippers will die, the song will end, the balls will drain. It doesn’t end the ball that you are on, but it will reset so the ball starts in the shooter lane. At that point you will need to re-qualify band members to get back into a song"

That said I'm still looking at GnR and not totally convinced yet, I think the number of multiballs and their frequency devalues the multiball experience, I like to feel I have earned multiball. Also not sure if there are enough innovative, fun things to shoot. ACNC upper playfield is better than GnR IMO.
Yes I will probably find fault in every pin I consider, but then I will revisit them and see which negatives I think I can live with and which positives win out over the negatives.
Sadly with the state of pinball manafacture ATM many are easy to elimate due to poor quality and cost cutting.

#5325 1 day ago
Quoted from Rat:

No, actually the tight shots of ACNC is one of the best things about it especially for home use IMO.

Yeah I agree, I do overthink purchases and make it a chore for myself (pins, MTBs, car etc) but in the end when it's all over I'm usually very happy with what I buy.

The "booed off stage" feature works very differently and I think it's a good feature, really it just ends the mode if you are not playing the mode well but yes the flippers go dead and the mode stops and the ball is returned to the shooter lane. So there is no real penalty other than the mode is ended in a dramatic way if you are not playing well.
But on ACNC if you do really well it's game over walk away.
Here is a description of GnR quoted from Pinball News
"If you’re not playing well and your Rock-It Meter gets to the bottom, you will be booed off stage. The flippers will die, the song will end, the balls will drain. It doesn’t end the ball that you are on, but it will reset so the ball starts in the shooter lane. At that point you will need to re-qualify band members to get back into a song"
That said I'm still looking at GnR and not totally convinced yet, I think the number of multiballs and their frequency devalues the multiball experience, I like to feel I have earned multiball. Also not sure if there are enough innovative, fun things to shoot. ACNC upper playfield is better than GnR IMO.
Yes I will probably find fault in every pin I consider, but then I will revisit them and see which negatives I think I can live with and which positives win out over the negatives.
Sadly with the state of pinball manafacture ATM many are easy to elimate due to poor quality and cost cutting.

You must be one hella good player to be worrying about the wizard mode on Alice...

#5326 1 day ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

You must be one hella good player to be worrying about the wizard mode on Alice...

I wouldn't call myself "hella good" but I am above average and have run out of room on my trophy shelf from past pinball comps I am also semi retired which gives me more time to play and I only have three pins, so all those things combined make me assume I would reach the wizard mode eventually.

I am listening to you guys though and thinking that perhaps it's not as big a deal as I initally thought so thanks for that.

Pic below was about my 5th game of ACNC on location after 12 ciders

FB_IMG_1601980903720 (resized).jpg
#5327 15 hours ago
Quoted from Rat:

I wouldn't call myself "hella good" but I am above average and have run out of room on my trophy shelf from past pinball comps I am also semi retired which gives me more time to play and I only have three pins, so all those things combined make me assume I would reach the wizard mode eventually.
I am listening to you guys though and thinking that perhaps it's not as big a deal as I initally thought so thanks for that.
Pic below was about my 5th game of ACNC on location after 12 ciders [quoted image]

FIFTH GAME and you got a 207?... broooooo......... niiiiiice!

#5328 14 hours ago
Quoted from Rat:

Pic below was about my 5th game of ACNC on location after 12 ciders [quoted image]

My two cents: GET IT! I own nine pins with ACNC being the most recent addition to the collection and I can’t stop playing it. The other games must be feeling neglected, but that’s okay. Alice is the man!

#5329 8 minutes ago
Quoted from Rat:

Fantastic score given 5th game. Embarrassingly, I have owned Alice for a year and never seen BDB (and i won't cheat) I have been close... Real close and choked... Its mental now. To me, Alice is perfect for home but not sure it would do well on location since its so damn hard. My friends LOVE co-op mode and that is another unique feature that separates it from the pack. Never was an Alice music fan til now.... I find myself now lookin for a girl with a JOB and a CAR

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Lafayette, IN
5,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 134.95
Lighting - Other
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 119.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
There are 5329 posts in this topic. You are on page 107 of 107.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside