(Topic ID: 208341)

Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle Club: Enter at own risk!

By Sarge

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 7,997 posts
  • 417 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 days ago by finnflash
  • Topic is favorited by 146 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20240223_080239 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
C3CA2F4A-C28C-400F-B349-DC92FF51521A (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
20231007_142204 (resized).jpg
20231007_142451 (resized).jpg
20231007_140542 (resized).jpg
20231007_140446 (resized).jpg
20231007_142049 (resized).jpg
20231007_140659 (resized).jpg
20231007_142245 (resized).jpg
IMG_0151 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0150 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20230920_094337_Gallery (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 160.
#5251 3 years ago

Do I have three dead servos?

Last week everything died. I put in a new fuse. Frankenstein on the ball diverter worked but I never noticed if the guillotine did or not. The fuse blew again sometime in the next week. I never realized when that happened because my game is in a public non-for profit place.

Anyway I replaced the fuse but this time nothing works. All the wires are connected. When I go into Utilities to adjust the servos, nothing moves. The fuse is OK.

Any ideas? My thought is that I killed all three servos somehow.

#5252 3 years ago

So I have been seriously enjoying this game, even much more than I thought I would. Really glad that I acquired the game.

From my last post, I did try that small PETG plastic from pinball life, and it made the whole magnet function work much worse in my case. The ball would eventually come to center, but having that distance of the magnet away from the playfield, the ball would wobble back and forth until coming to true center over the magnet and by the time it was ready to toss the ball back up to the playfield, it was still wobbling a bit and would just hit the bottom of the flipper (and again, at random unreliable strengths)...so I took the plastic out and the ball goes straight to the magnet now, but still with the same random unreliable nature of the ball tossing, oh well... it's a bummer because that's a really neat idea and function, and when it does toss it up back onto the playfield it's great! It seems as though others experience this too, although not everyone. I wonder if this is something that could be potentially improved upon in future code? Does anyone know if this a function that can be improved upon by code update? I've tried all the different available patterns, it seems as though pattern 2 gives me the best overall results, although as above, unreliably.

The other thing I've noticed, and certainly not a mark against the game, but in the pit creature mode when you hit a green shot and there's the countdown timer, it sure would be nice if there was some sound that correlated with that countdown that gave you the impression that you were making progress. It just sort of stays quiet after you hit a shot. I think it'd be really nice to have some audio update on that mode in that regard.
now that I've got the opportunity to really put some time into the game, I think one of my favorite mode right now in terms of light show and song is the vampire mode, and I love the little squeal that you hear when you hit the vampire target. Really awesome

Really such a neat game and great concept of going between rooms and battling monsters. Really loving it!!

#5253 3 years ago
Quoted from ThePinballCo-op:

I highly doubt all three servos are bad. Make sure the fuse is good. They can look OK and still be bad. Check with ohm meter or try another fuse if you haven't already. Otherwise it does sound like a bad connection somewhere.

#5254 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

The other thing I've noticed, and certainly not a mark against the game, but in the pit creature mode when you hit a green shot and there's the countdown timer, it sure would be nice if there was some sound that correlated with that countdown that gave you the impression that you were making progress. It just sort of stays quiet after you hit a shot. I think it'd be really nice to have some audio update on that mode in that regard.

I wish Spooky would go back and amp-up sounds for some of the special moments in the game. Some great jackpot callouts would be welcomed!

#5255 3 years ago

Last week everything died. I put in a new fuse. Frankenstein on the ball diverter worked but I never noticed if the guillotine did or not. The fuse blew again sometime in the next week. I never realized when that happened because my game is in a public non-for profit place.
Anyway I replaced the fuse but this time nothing works. All the wires are connected. When I go into Utilities to adjust the servos, nothing moves. The fuse is OK.

So I've always had problems with Frank and my guillotine pooping out on me. If I go in back box and wiggle the wire that connects the little circuit board to the bigger circuit board; the small grey wire with the black, flat, 5 pin connector on the board with the fuse you changed and a smaller white connector on the other end, it work for a while again. I have to wiggle the wire up and down, not back and forth. Then it works again for however long it takes to get jarred loose.

I did replace the cable but that did not help. I have a new circuit board here to try, but have not gotten to replace it yet. Perhaps that small board is a weak-link in these games. Mine's not worked correctly since I got my machine a little under a year ago. But yeah, you probably have not blown 3 servos.

#5256 3 years ago

Every time I consider buying ACNC I open up to this forum and get scared off by all the technical issues. I am the kind of collector that just wants to play...Having to consistently mess with electronics is not my forte. Sure, I get it, owning a pinball machine always requires some attention but with ACNC seems to be a consistent problem for most owners.

Is this an accurate portrayal? I keep trying to talk myself into buying but concerned.

#5257 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Every time I consider buying ACNC I open up to this forum and get scared off by all the technical issues. I am the kind of collector that just wants to play...Having to consistently mess with electronics is not my forte. Sure, I get it, owning a pinball machine always requires some attention but with ACNC seems to be a consistent problem for most owners.
Is this an accurate portrayal? I keep trying to talk myself into buying but concerned.

Constant problems hasn't been my experience. I bought NIB last year and have only had an issue with an opto. I also had a loose connection that was causing one LED to act up, but that was as simple as it gets in terms of issues on a pin. I also swapped out the pinball life rubbers to titan glows. There is a hell of a lot of stuff on the game, so the little maintenance I've done hasn't been a breeze.

#5258 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Every time I consider buying ACNC I open up to this forum and get scared off by all the technical issues.

You can say this about any pinball machine!
Next to nothing bad here. One servo replacement after first week and that was easy and Spooky sent me two new servos and a video on how to do it. Beats the crap out of Stern c.c. pooling and chipping issues. This is a quality built pin.

#5259 3 years ago

Mine has been trouble free from the box. Like any NIB game, you're rolling the dice though.

#5260 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Nope. Mines been perfect

#5261 3 years ago

If it's not the fuse, I've seen 2 "servo boards" blow that stop them all. Its the small red board in the backbox that the servo's plug into. Both times you can see the burnt out part on the board. Cheap to replace if that's the case, just contact Spooky.

Re technical issues - I've had my game since new and never had to do anything to it re repairs. Others have had servo issues as above, but not that common. You just need to make sure they are all callibrated correctly - and Spooky has some good videos on how to do this.

#5262 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Games out of box for me have been about 50/50. Had 1 issue On my ACNC, and Spooky solved in 10 minutes on a Friday night clearly after hours. I was 3rd owner of a Zombie and they have helped me on that as well when they didn’t have to. Spooky is not one of a kind in pinball, they are one of a kind period with customer service on their products. Buy your game with confidence. I truly worry more about Stern with the tragic loss of Chas.

#5263 3 years ago

I had one loose cable on arrival and one stuck ball issue. That's actually less trouble than I've had with my Munsters and Hobbit machines, all of which were purchased new or close to new. On the Munsters, one of my pop bumpers quit working, the grandpa scoop protector broke, and the mini playfield lost balls and fogged up the plexiglass. On the Hobbit, 3 of my beast mechs got bent, a drop target broke a spring, the small video book prop fell off, and Smaug quit working (I had to take the entire assembly apart and put it back together).

Comparatively speaking, Alice has been a breeze. YMMV.

#5264 3 years ago

Thanks to netman my decal arrived today. Looks great!

E8888404-04F2-41F9-9C86-4B936F35C715 (resized).jpegE8888404-04F2-41F9-9C86-4B936F35C715 (resized).jpeg
#5265 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

All my Spookys have been A1 reliability wise.

rd

#5266 3 years ago

I had a loose wire on an opto switch, and had to adjust the switches for franks lock. Spooky helped me by email in both cases.
Also had to adjust the settings for the magnet a few times. Further no issues on my ACNC that I now have a year.

On one hand I'm very happy that Spooky is responsive and tries to help - on the other hand I would rather have a better manual (I know one exists but it's really basic) so I can troubleshoot future issues myself without having to rely on them.

That's just the current feeling I have - I know it's partly because I'm totally not familiar with P-Roc boards or Spooky's technology, whilst I know WPC well.
If I spend some time investigating how it all works I may be comfortable about it. But now I have the feeling that if something major breaks down on my ACNC I may not be able to fix or troubleshoot it, whilst with my WPC games I don't have this worry.

#5267 3 years ago

My ACNC is working flawless. Just the Topper (gauge servo) made some problems but Spooky did sent me a replacement for this. They do react quite fast and very customer oriented. Good support.

#5268 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Mine has been 100%.

I did have to adjust the frank lock setting in the menu so the ball wouldn't fall in the cabinet, but that was simple and nothing was physically wrong with the game.

I also had balls jumping off the left habitrail, but made a fix.

Games such as Elvira and TMNT Prem/LE have been having far more issues than ACNC.

#5269 3 years ago

Mine came with a missing coin door lock.

#5270 3 years ago

Mine has been a shit show fom day one. Three issues before its left the shooter lane. Balls getting stuck where they shouldnt to issues from the build. Had the glass off more times than my all of my six NIB sterns put together. Tackled all the issues bit by bit - and 3d printed the fix for most of them. No im not a spooky hater or a stern lover... This has been my experience, its been a love/hate with this machine. Dont bother sending me your hate, its simply my experience. I hope spooky release something in the future i may like because i see they are improving/evolving.

After all the work, pain and frustration, i will not part with my acnc. Its a unique pin that i hope will get a code update it deserves soon (halloween maybe?).. I see JJP have copied some of the upper pf from acnc (back hand, drop shot) in GnR... Yeah nice try JJP, looks like multiball basher.

#5271 3 years ago

I’ll say one thing: I won’t be buying a NIB fawzma game again unless the theme/design is killer (like Alice).

Code updates come at a snails pace. This game is years old at this point and missing a lot of polish. Let’s hope for a code update soon. Sorry to sound be so harsh!

#5272 3 years ago

I have had my ACNC for almost a year now and it has been problem free out of the box. When reading in any club thread about problems people are having with their machine, you have to keep in mind that the majority of people are not posting how well their machine is running. The posts with problems and troubleshooting are going to be many, because that is where they get posted and how they get resolved. ACNC could use a little bit of code polish, but it is a great game already as is and the majority of the machines run great from what I can tell. And those that don't, Spooky is quick to respond and help out. If you already have pinball machines, then there is nothing to fear from adding an ACNC. There are plenty of other machines out there that have way more issues than this one.

#5273 3 years ago

Two NIB for me so far*: 1) TNA (100s #), 0 issues, ever; 2) ACNC (80s #), 1 bad servo fresh out of box (guillotine) but 100% since, no magnet issues, nothing.

*Waiting patiently on R&M

#5274 3 years ago

One thing I try to remember is just before these went into production they changed the board set. Which meant all the existing code had to be scrapped an start from scratch... And on top of that Fawzma had to learn a whole new coding language.. but I can still agree the updates and info have been lacking

Quoted from scruffypinball:

I’ll say one thing: I won’t be buying a NIB fawzma game again unless the theme/design is killer (like Alice).
Code updates come at a snails pace. This game is years old at this point and missing a lot of polish. Let’s hope for a code update soon. Sorry to sound be so harsh!

#5275 3 years ago
Quoted from PunkPin:

.. but I can still agree the updates and info have been lacking

I wish they could find a model where the code could be open sourced. Or even a private repo in which to selectively let folks in to contribute/play...

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#5276 3 years ago

Licensors would never go for that so you'll never see that on any game.
If you want to make a custom game the framework is available for you to go crazy on your ideas.

Quoted from joetechbob:

I wish they could find a model where the code could be open sourced. Or even a private repo in which to selectively let folks in to contribute/play...

#5277 3 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

Licensors would never go for that so you'll never see that on any game.
If you want to make a custom game the framework is available for you to go crazy on your ideas.

Yes, incremental improvements are the same as re-writing the game from scratch.

#5278 3 years ago
Quoted from joetechbob:

Or even a private repo in which to selectively let folks in to contribute/play...

Yeah, just 'hire' a few devs for $1 each or something who want to work on the game, give them access to the code, finish off all the loose ends that the code has right now

I'd love to make some tweaks and stuff if they'd let me...

#5279 3 years ago
Quoted from Pizzaman13:

Slightly more than 4 hours away but mine has been fine other than normal wear and it's for sale!

#5280 3 years ago

I've had a decent amount of issues with mine. Got it nib and the magnet works maybe 1/10 tries and I've experimented with the settings.

Also the frank lock switches seem pretty finicky and I've had to adjust them numerous times.

Balls get stuck fairly often, but this has been better in the updated code.

The vuc often seems to launch the ball sdtm

Love the art and design of the game, and I'm a big Alice Cooper fan, so I dont regret getting it, but it does feel like I've spent more time tweaking it than playing it. It seems everything I get something dialed in on it a new thing pops up.

I dont have much experience and very low skill with fixing stuff, but ironically I've had more issues with the games I bought new. This and iron maiden

#5281 3 years ago

Finally installed my speaker panel decal.

20201015_152729 (resized).jpg20201015_152729 (resized).jpg
#5282 3 years ago

My new arrival makes me a proud new member of this club!!!

0362988A-3464-469F-9690-8D0989A8A111 (resized).jpeg0362988A-3464-469F-9690-8D0989A8A111 (resized).jpeg
#5283 3 years ago

ACNC is one of the best games I've ever played in my life. I'm blown away every time. I got R&M in June and JP2 as well, and I find myself playing ACNC more than those two combined.

Such a thrilling game. This is my #1 game atm, no contest.

#5284 3 years ago

ACNC is one of the best games I've ever played in my life. I'm blown away every time. I got R&M in June and JP2 as well, and I find myself playing ACNC more than those two combined.

Kind of cool that there’s only 500 in the world.

#5285 3 years ago
Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

My new arrival makes me a proud new member of this club!!!
[quoted image]

Welcome to the club, Alice is the best! Every time I see that speaker panel decal, I almost pull the trigger and buy one...maybe this time I'll actually do it . Although....it looks to me like previous owner mounted that decal turned 180 degrees from how I've seen it before....I feel like the purple on top and green on bottom just flows with the color scheme of the Backglass and playfield a little better....but to each their own. Still looks great.

I was really on the fence with the topper before I bought it but no regrets once I did. Very unique, looks great in attract mode and during game play and the Igor mode integration is a well thought out tie in with the cabinet art....done in a way where it enhances the mode, while avoiding going down the DLC rabbit hole of actually requiring the topper to get a full game play experience. Spooky's vision of giving everyone full gameplay with every game they make (along with the fact that they are just good people), is an approach I really appreciate.

Once they finally complete the bug squashing and put the final polish on this machine (please more freedom of full room movement for weapon selection out of the gate to make it less linear for monster fighting, actually randomize the mystery, and add weapon animations/detail!), I think a lot of people are going to be bolting this to the floor, if they haven't already......definitely feels like this club is pretty full of super-fans as it stands.

#5286 3 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Welcome to the club, Alice is the best! Every time I see that speaker panel decal, I almost pull the trigger and buy one...maybe this time I'll actually do it . Although....it looks to me like previous owner mounted that decal turned 180 degrees from how I've seen it before....I feel like the purple on top and green on bottom just flows with the color scheme of the Backglass and playfield a little better....but to each their own. Still looks great.
I was really on the fence with the topper before I bought it but no regrets once I did. Very unique, looks great in attract mode and during game play and the Igor mode integration is a well thought out tie in with the cabinet art....done in a way where it enhances the mode, while avoiding going down the DLC rabbit hole of actually requiring the topper to get a full game play experience. Spooky's vision of giving everyone full gameplay with every game they make (along with the fact that they are just good people), is an approach I really appreciate.
Once they finally complete the bug squashing and put the final polish on this machine (please more freedom of full room movement for weapon selection out of the gate to make it less linear for monster fighting, actually randomize the mystery, and add weapon animations/detail!), I think a lot of people are going to be bolting this to the floor, if they haven't already......definitely feels like this club is pretty full of super-fans as it stands.

Ha! I didn’t realize the speaker panels on my game were “upside down”. I’ll have to look at it more closely.

#5287 3 years ago

Really enjoying my ACNC. Such an addictive game, I mean really.
Question for the group.
I can't exactly recall since I've only had the game for a few weeks now, but one thing I've become more aware of is that with the exception of the Frankenstein monster mode, it appears as though when a monster mode is initiated, the ball is immediately continued into play. Meaning, with the LCD display of the comic book pages are turning to the given monster, the ball is already released into play. I thought that when I first got the game that the ball was held during this time, but now I need to watch out for the ball in play or else it will fall between the flippers unbeknownst to me while I'm looking at the screen.
Is that normal?
Shouldn't the ball be held somewhere in the back after you hit the orbit during this time?
If this is not normal behavior, are there any suggestions to address it?
Any advice is welcomed. Thanks all!

#5288 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Really enjoying my ACNC. Such an addictive game, I mean really.
Question for the group.
I can't exactly recall since I've only had the game for a few weeks now, but one thing I've become more aware of is that with the exception of the Frankenstein monster mode, it appears as though when a monster mode is initiated, the ball is immediately continued into play. Meaning, with the LCD display of the comic book pages are turning to the given monster, the ball is already released into play. I thought that when I first got the game that the ball was held during this time, but now I need to watch out for the ball in play or else it will fall between the flippers unbeknownst to me while I'm looking at the screen.
Is that normal?
Shouldn't the ball be held somewhere in the back after you hit the orbit during this time?
If this is not normal behavior, are there any suggestions to address it?
Any advice is welcomed. Thanks all!

The ball should be held by a magnet while the comic book is flipping during normal play. This can be skipped by hitting both flippers, but that would also cut the animation short.

Sometimes the ball may not make it all of the way up to the magnet but still trigger the mode. That doesn't sound like what you are describing though. I would test the back magnet and if it isn't working lift the playfield and check the connections.

#5289 3 years ago
Quoted from thirdedition:

The ball should be held by a magnet while the comic book is flipping during normal play. This can be skipped by hitting both flippers, but that would also cut the animation short.
Sometimes they ball may not make it all of the way up to the magnet but still trigger the mode. That doesn't sound like what you are describing though. I would test the back magnet and if it isn't working lift the playfield and check the connections.

Appreciate your reply. I will check that magnet in the test menu Ensure that it's working.

On another note, for the group, over the last few weeks, I've noticed that sometimes I'll turn the game on and it will get stuck into a boot screen series (going between a screen that says spooky pinball, to a screen that says connecto vision, to a small screen that has a small paragraph in the upper left, and just cycling through those three screens incessantly). Recycling the game does nothing, I have to reinstall the code, which then renders the game functional again and I'm able to play for another week or so until I turn it on again on some random day and it gets stuck into this boot screen series, again...and again, recycling the game does absolutely nothing.

Anyone else having this issue? Any advice?

Im happy to keep uploading the code like this, as this game is a lot of fun, but I'm sure I'm going to get to the point where this is more than frustrating and annoying.
Thanks all!!

#5290 3 years ago
Quoted from ChipScott:

Appreciate your reply. I will check that magnet in the test menu Ensure that it's working.
On another note, for the group, over the last few weeks, I've noticed that sometimes I'll turn the game on and it will get stuck into a boot screen series (going between a screen that says spooky pinball, to a screen that says connecto vision, to a small screen that has a small paragraph in the upper left, and just cycling through those three screens incessantly). Recycling the game does nothing, I have to reinstall the code, which then renders the game functional again and I'm able to play for another week or so until I turn it on again on day and it gets stuck into this boot screen series...which again, recycling the game does absolutely nothing.
Anyone else having this issue? Any advice?
Im happy to keep uploading the code like this, as this game is a lot of fun, but I'm sure I'm going to get to the point where this is more than frustrating and annoying.
Thanks all!!

Something's wrong... I'd contact spooky. They give great tech support.

#5291 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Something's wrong... I'd contact spooky. They give great tech support.

Thank you. I will contact them.

#5292 3 years ago

I designed that decal to be purple on top and green on bottom. But I guess it still works turned 180 degrees! Still way better than a plain black speaker panel.

Quoted from cmack750:

#5293 3 years ago

If anyone wants one of these decals, you can find them here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1266-pinball-nerd-decals-/03952-alice-cooper-s-nightmare-castle-speaker-amp-coin-door-decals

Quoted from Charlemagne1987:

Ha! I didn’t realize the speaker panels on my game were “upside down”. I’ll have to look at it more closely.

#5294 3 years ago

What's the permanent fix for the two Frank lock switches? If I don't play mine for a while, the first time I make a left or right Frank shot, the shots don't register and I have to pull the glass. If I fiddle with the switches a little, they work again for a while and then stop registering shots again. Is there a leveling adjustment for the Frank servo or do I need to replace or adjust the switches? I quit playing the game a long time ago because of frustrating little issues like this right out of the box.

#5295 3 years ago

Awesome collection!
Wish I had a RM!! Great game! Alice is addicting as hell! Frustrating though, but it's magic for sure. It is the game that will make you play better!!

#5296 3 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:

What's the permanent fix for the two Frank lock switches? If I don't play mine for a while, the first time I make a left or right Frank shot, the shots don't register and I have to pull the glass. If I fiddle with the switches a little, they work again for a while and then stop registering shots again. Is there a leveling adjustment for the Frank servo or do I need to replace or adjust the switches? I quit playing the game a long time ago because of frustrating little issues like this right out of the box.

Did you see this video yet?

#5297 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Did you see this video yet?

Thanks, that looks like an easy fix. It's not easy making those Frank lock shots, so frustrating when they don't register!

#5298 3 years ago
Quoted from earetz:

Mine has been a shit show fom day one. Three issues before its left the shooter lane. Balls getting stuck where they shouldnt to issues from the build. Had the glass off more times than my all of my six NIB sterns put together.

You should have bought cheese balls for SpookyLuke!
Sorry you had bad luck though.

#5299 3 years ago

Was there a reliable fix for the scoop shooting sdtm frequently? I got it to be slightly better adjusting the scoop power settings, but its very inconsistent.

Sometimes goes to left flipper, sometimes right, sometimes sdtm.

I'm a little scared to bend the metal since dont want to risk permanently breaking it

#5300 3 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I'd love to make some tweaks and stuff if they'd let me...

In Zac, we trust.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 300.00
$ 24.99
Playfield - Plastics
Pinhead mods
Plastics
There are 7,997 posts in this topic. You are on page 106 of 160.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-coopers-nightmare-castle-club-enter-at-own-risk/page/106?hl=superhawk2300 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.