(Topic ID: 213269)

Alice Cooper’s nightmare castle ‘vs’ Iron Maiden first looks..

By frankmac

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What art package looks better?”

• Alice Cooper 144 votes
    46%
  • Iron Maiden 167 votes
    54%

(311 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0FF8877C-1ED7-4E12-9C37-708C4381EE49 (resized).jpeg
13AA3B04-BF52-4124-B645-7AA2C1A10DE0.jpeg
04ED4B93-BD56-42D2-85C0-57699D26FDB0 (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpeg
37857ABA-9362-41B5-986D-ACBBDB1F7EEF (resized).jpeg
nita (resized).jpg
sling (resized).JPG
side.jpg
42B397AC-C21A-488F-8BFA-524D70670C20.jpeg
F69CE602-891F-40D1-AABF-73BAD1504902.jpeg
279iyo (resized).jpg
iron_maiden_killers_vinyl_front_cover_grande (resized).jpg
legacy of (resized).jpg
5AA612B5-CFC8-47EF-B238-A021BDF968CD.jpeg
65B055B4-EBD0-4338-A157-83989B337942.jpeg
EC3D5FE9-573C-419A-9F37-61041F455095.jpeg
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.
#101 6 years ago

I like the look of both of them. A fan of both bands pretty much equally but it certainly looks to me like Iron Maiden has the more attractive art package. I will be purchasing one of them and right now I'm leaning more towards Iron Maiden currently.

#102 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

ACNC has a superior LCD presentation that's for sure. Zombie Yeti for the close win though on art. Can't lose with either choice - we all win.

...if you like Alice Cooper or Iron Maiden. For those who hates these bands like me, it is lots of frustration.

I really love AC artwork and the molded castle is so nice. One word: awesome!

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

...if you like Alice Cooper or Iron Maiden. For those who hates these bands like me, it is lots of frustration.

I believe Back ally did the castle work.
I think that is the name.

#104 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

I'm just happy another new designer is getting a shot, and looks to be doing a fantastic job!
Games couldn't be any more different for style, and that's a GREAT thing.
At the end of the day it isn't "which game is better"... it's which game suits your style of play preference more. Art, rules, shots / flow... all subjective stuff.
The fact that we're making games that can compete with the big companies... thrilled to be here! Alice will sell out... Maiden will sell a pile more... both business models work.
Congratulations to Keith, Stern, and yep... I can't wait to see Alice & Maiden games on location and in homes side by side. Maybe even in our home! Freakin' grew up on Alice, Priest, Maiden, and 50 other great bands my parents hated!

I think you can be proud of this beautiful pin with a great layout. For me, the best looking. Congrats.

#105 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

IMDN looks like a great layout, but those cheap ass looking thin plastic screened art things really turn me off for how much you are paying.

Agree. They look like key chains.

#106 6 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Spooky has carved out a nice little niche for themselves in the boutique market and that's great, but it's kind of mean to compare their games to Sterns.

True, as Stern really has nothing to compare to TNA, the game I chose to buy.

#107 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

I think both games look spectacular but I went with ACNC just because I'm tired of the jukebox thing. What sold me was the whole moving through the castle, collecting items to help battle the monsters thing. I am a big fan of story driven games and this is exactly the type of story and ruleset I was hoping for in a pinball machine. Hopefully more companies start to do this!

Agreed. I am SO SICK of pins where you sit there scrolling through options with the flippers at the start of a ball. Thus with ACNC I wanted players to select a monster by hitting the 3 bank, so it felt active and alive.

Also since it's called "Nightmare Castle" I wanted the castle to be an integral part of the game - thus the room exploration and item collection.

So depending on what monster you select, you should try to visit certain rooms, to collect the right items that have the best effects once the battle starts.

#108 6 years ago

I'm a huge fan of both Alice and Maiden, friends of both organizations, I have the Stern AC/DC and KISS as well as GNR. I've ordered the Alice pinball but I can't see as much on the Iron Maiden playfield other than 3 ramps, an orbit?, and the hit the ball center. Alice seems more to remind me of WOZ with the upper deck castle and has alot more dimension to the playfield. I think Stern could have done alot better with dressing up the playfield and more bells/whistles with the years of Maiden visuals. The crossover theme of Alice/horror is interesting as well. I guess I'm trying to figure out what is interesting or unique about the Maiden playfield?

#109 6 years ago

Alice Cooper fans are really fortunate, this pin is impressive.
I think I’m jealous.

#110 6 years ago

Sorry to hear you hate this music, you're really missing out. My advice is to give it another go when you're in a good mood. Listen to songs like "Poison" and "I'm Eighteen" from Cooper and "Flight of Icarus" and "The Clansman" from Maiden, if you can't find something good in any of those songs then it's really not for you.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Listen to songs like "Poison" and "I'm Eighteen" from Cooper

I know it's not on the song list of the game, but I've always had a real soft spot for Desperado.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

Sorry to hear you hate this music, you're really missing out. My advice is to give it another go when you're in a good mood. Listen to songs like "Poison" and "I'm Eighteen" from Cooper and "Flight of Icarus" and "The Clansman" from Maiden, if you can't find something good in any of those songs then it's really not for you.

I already can’t stand Metallica Songs except unforgiven and nothing else matters. I replaced all the others.
When I hear Alice cooper ( coz I must admit that when I saw the pin and I said to myself: « putain il déchire! », i run into YouTube to listen to some songs), first I don’t understand what he says ( when I listen some French songs, sometimes I would like to not understand what they sing, so it’s not always a bad thing to not understand) and then I really can’t stand his voice, the way how he sings (or shout), absolutely nothing gives me some emotion, I mean good one.

It is that why i’m jealous of AC’s fans coz this pin is artistically awesome imho, layout is great, just hope great ruleset.

#113 6 years ago

Alice Cooper fans are really fortunate, this pin is impressive.
I think I’m jealous.

What is the song list for ACNC? Thanks!

#114 6 years ago

I'm in on Maiden.

Alice Cooper music doesn't do it for me. Nita Strauss is his lead guitarist, though.

nita (resized).jpgnita (resized).jpg

#115 6 years ago

They both look like winners for different reasons. I got to play Alice Cooper and walked away very impressed with it in all aspects. The art, the layout, and the overall theming was great. It didn't have its full rule set in place, so obviously that's the big question mark right now. But man, Spooky did very well with what they brought to TPF.

For Iron Maiden, I got to play Archer, and have been excited about the layout ever since. The art is also fantastic on this game. ZY is a talented dude. Theming looks great for what it is, but that music is a major turn off for me. I'm still excited to play it.

Bottom line: I think we have two winners here that are unique enough from one another that they don't necessarily need to be compared directly unless you're only looking to purchase one or the other.

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

What is the song list for ACNC? Thanks!

Visit the spooky website. On the main page you have the ACNC trailer via YouTube. You have all the songs listed at the end of the video.

#117 6 years ago

I’ll just respond on the topic of artwork. Both artists are very talented, but 2 things put AC over the top for me. The first is obvious: AC has sculptures, while IMDN has the flat stand-ups. That’s just a BOM reality, and no knock on the artist. But the second is theme integration. Spooky’s artist knocked it out of the park, especially with the cabinet. I love the way the art continues the plunger, for example. He also had a lot more artistic freedom, since ACNC is essentially unlicensed.

The Archer/IMDN layout kicks ass, and I can’t wait to play it. But ACNC is the one that’s going into my gameroom, and its art was a huge part of that decision. If Stern reuses the IMDN layout with another theme, then it’s another ballgame.

#118 6 years ago

Adding a better pic of ACNC...

37857ABA-9362-41B5-986D-ACBBDB1F7EEF (resized).jpeg37857ABA-9362-41B5-986D-ACBBDB1F7EEF (resized).jpeg

#119 6 years ago
Quoted from frankmac:

ACNC is sharp looking..

Looks like killers...o-din

#120 6 years ago
Quoted from Guinnesstime:

I'm in on Maiden.
Alice Cooper music doesn't do it for me. Though, I'd be in on a Nita Strauss LE.

Needs some hips on that thang!

#121 6 years ago
Quoted from Brazy:

Looks like killers...o-din

Now, I'm getting really confused. lol.

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#122 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Why can't people just be happy?

Because pinside. It’s the only consistent thing about the 4 years I’ve been here

#123 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Now, I'm getting really confused. lol.

Doh! Maybe we can get an Iron Maidens Nightmare Castle.... then everyone can get along!.... yeah right

#124 6 years ago

I like the look of both games. A comparison to IMDM Premium would probably be more approiate since the Premium has 3D sculptures and a couple of fancy mechs. I love the colors on ACNC. But when you look close at the high res IMDN Pro photos, the DETAIL is amazing. Zombie Yeti is incredibly talented. Add a couple Spooky options + shipping to ACNC and you are basically at the price of IMDN Premium, so it will be interesting to see how those two do head to head. Great choices!

#125 6 years ago

Can someone explain what makes the Maiden playfield play interesting? I'm not familiar with the Archer pinball and at first glance I just see a few ramps compared to the upper castle deck playfield on Alice. I'm planning on eventually getting Maiden after Alice as I primarily collect rock music pinballs but just curious on actual gameplay. Alice reminds me more of Wizard of Oz but Maiden seems a bit plain.

#126 6 years ago

can someone explain ball behavior on the upper playfield? or are there another pics available?
thank

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Can someone explain what makes the Maiden playfield play interesting?

4 flippers and interesting shots, not a boring flow flow flow fan layout like most recent Sterns, where everything just returns to the bottom flippers and you rinse and repeat. It's a game for players, not toy collectors, but that makes sense given that Keith Elwin designed it.

If you haven't seen video of it playing yet I think it will make more sense when you pay attention to the actual shots people are making, and how the ball moves around.

#128 6 years ago
Quoted from DrMark12PA:

Can someone explain what makes the Maiden playfield play interesting? I'm not familiar with the Archer pinball and at first glance I just see a few ramps compared to the upper castle deck playfield on Alice.

Right, Alice has the castle mini playfield where you can shot at what seems like 4-5 more shoots.
In Maiden however, while there isn't a second level playfield, you have different shots that can be done only with the extra flippers, which there are 2 pointing in different directions, what in a way make different levels. Add that you can chain the shots between these levels and that is fun, and actual flow... which is different than flow in a single orbit or between ramps, which you can do too. Add to that rules that allow to stack modes and you have plenty to shot at non stop.

#129 6 years ago

ACNC all the way, baby!

#130 6 years ago

Nice little homage to Cyclopes here.

04ED4B93-BD56-42D2-85C0-57699D26FDB0 (resized).jpeg04ED4B93-BD56-42D2-85C0-57699D26FDB0 (resized).jpeg

#131 6 years ago

Does someone know when a video in action would be available? I would like to hear it and see LCD animations

#132 6 years ago

I think ACNC is gonna be tough to find on route, while Maiden is going to be routed at all the Stern Army locations and will be an easy find. So, support Spooky if you are looking to bring a game home.

They both look great, but dollar for dollar the BOM on ACNC seems much higher so a better value for money.

#133 6 years ago
Quoted from tacshose:

I think ACNC is gonna be tough to find on route, while Maiden is going to be routed at all the Stern Army locations and will be an easy find. So, support Spooky if you are looking to bring a game home.
They both look great, but dollar for dollar the BOM on ACNC seems much higher so a better value for money.

the more BOM you have doesn't necessary mean that is a great game...that would be very sought after later.
Pinball machine is first a game to play. Competition is rough and BOM is one factor to separating each manufacturer but not the only one (even the most important imho).
However, i agree to say that JJP and Spooky games are more loaded then Stern's games.

#134 6 years ago

ACNC - cabinet artwork, playfield artwork, backglass artwork, lcd artwork, plastics artwork, buttery finish and playfield sculpts are beautiful and well integrated with theme. Cannot form opinion on game play at this time.

IMDN pro - cabinet artwork, playfield artwork and plastics artwork are beautiful and well integrated with theme. Translite and lcd artwork are ok and there are no scupts. Layout and game play are fantastic.

In summary, these two games have great artwork and I need to buy at least one. ACNC wins on art design alone, but you don't just look at games, you play them.

#135 6 years ago

I may own my first Spooky pinball. Still need to play it first at Allentown but looks great.

#136 6 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Still need to play it first at Allentown but looks great.

Lets hope it makes it there

#137 6 years ago

Pretty damn close.

Both pins look great.

13AA3B04-BF52-4124-B645-7AA2C1A10DE0.jpeg13AA3B04-BF52-4124-B645-7AA2C1A10DE0.jpeg

#138 6 years ago

The poll needs a third option: "They both look killer".

#139 6 years ago

ACNC is more like like a premium Stern so they should be compared on that level. We haven’t even seen the premium version of Maiden. If I had the money and room, ACNC would be first on the list because Maiden will be available for years and can always get one down the road. Both are excellent looking games tho.

#140 6 years ago

I'd have to go with Maiden for sure, and I am a notorious Stern basher. The competition has forced Stern to deal with most of its quality issues, but I'd still argue that ACNC is going to be better build quality than even the IMDN LE. The biggest seller for me on this Stern is that the design, rules and code are influenced by Keith Elwin, which means the code may actually be close to complete when the game ships, and the playfield will be different than the last 20 stern titles. If the code is anything like the initial GOTG code, my order will be cancelled immediately.

As for ACNC, the game offers nostalgia of some of the 90s w/b pins, which is awesome. The design and layout looks interesting and intriguing. That being said, I cannot stand Alice Cooper, to the point that I'd have trouble playing this on location, let alone in my house. I understand how this guy maybe appeals to Christian teenagers, but how do adults take his act/music seriously? I always thought he was some sort of satirical rocker, like a failed attempt at Spinal Tap. Now that I think about it, Spinal Tap would be a KILLER pin!

#141 6 years ago

KaNaDa

1 week later
#142 6 years ago

Oh crap!
I'm in on the ACNC, but after reading all this, I am going to wind up with both machines. Especially if they are very different from each other. I like the variety. Both pins are amazing!

#143 6 years ago

ACNC has a friggin guillotine!

#144 6 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

They both look great, but I prefer the look of ACNC.

What is ACNC?

#145 6 years ago

Never mind.

#146 6 years ago

They both look good but I can't help thinking the rules on Maiden will be far better than AC.

#147 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

They both look good but I can't help thinking the rules on Maiden will be far better than AC.

How do you know it? Regarding the 2 layouts, both can have great rules.

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

With Bowen Kerins tackling rules on ACNC, it's far too early to assume which will be better. No previous Spooky effort could be compared.

#149 6 years ago
Quoted from Medisinyl:

With Bowen Kerins tackling rules on ACNC, it's far too early to assume which will be better. No previous Spooky effort could be compared.

What do you mean with « tackling rules »?

#150 6 years ago

What do you mean with « tackling rules »?

Bowen Kerins was hired by Spooky and he is working on ACNC rules. Many would consider him an Ace up Spooky's sleeve. His tutorials alone would lend many to believe in his vast ruleset knowledge. I would expect at the very least a far more mathematically sound ruleset than Rob Zombie.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,250 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

$ 22.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 300.00
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
New Cumberland, PA
$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-cooper%e2%80%99s-nightmare-castle-%e2%80%98vs%e2%80%99-iron-maiden-frost-looks/page/3?hl=ghostthruster and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.