(Topic ID: 213269)

Alice Cooper’s nightmare castle ‘vs’ Iron Maiden first looks..

By frankmac

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 212 posts
  • 100 Pinsiders participating
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“What art package looks better?”

• Alice Cooper 144 votes
    46%
  • Iron Maiden 167 votes
    54%

(311 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0FF8877C-1ED7-4E12-9C37-708C4381EE49 (resized).jpeg
13AA3B04-BF52-4124-B645-7AA2C1A10DE0.jpeg
04ED4B93-BD56-42D2-85C0-57699D26FDB0 (resized).jpeg
images (resized).jpeg
37857ABA-9362-41B5-986D-ACBBDB1F7EEF (resized).jpeg
nita (resized).jpg
sling (resized).JPG
side.jpg
42B397AC-C21A-488F-8BFA-524D70670C20.jpeg
F69CE602-891F-40D1-AABF-73BAD1504902.jpeg
279iyo (resized).jpg
iron_maiden_killers_vinyl_front_cover_grande (resized).jpg
legacy of (resized).jpg
5AA612B5-CFC8-47EF-B238-A021BDF968CD.jpeg
65B055B4-EBD0-4338-A157-83989B337942.jpeg
EC3D5FE9-573C-419A-9F37-61041F455095.jpeg

There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Money wise its pretty straight forward. You could order Stern IRM and play it for 6-8 months and at the same time put a 1k deposit down on ACMC.

or... you could go for an IRM and in 6-8 months just look for someone selling/trading his/her ACNC.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from shock_me:

I'd add those important songs later with PB browser. No biggie.

It is a biggie. They blatantly chose to avoid songs from those albums although they still perform some of them live. And there will never be modes for those songs with a corresponding insert on the playfield.

#53 6 years ago

Cabinet Art: Both look great.

PF Art: Iron Maiden by a mile. The art isn't only beautiful, it's true to the band. Keith's Iron Maiden podcast (http://www.podcastgarden.com/episode/episode-242_125160) pointed out the great collaboration between the artist and band. I know some rabid Iron Maiden fans and they LOVE what they see. I grew up with both bands and have seen both Alice/Iron Maiden live. I'm a much bigger Alice Cooper fan and was pretty disappointed by the lack of Alice imagery on the Spooky PF (not talking about his "mug"...more about symbols from his albums and stage show).

PF Layout: Iron Maiden by a mile. The Iron Maiden PF looks long, fast, and the ball is much more visible throughout the entire PF. The Alice PF looks shortened and slow by comparison (upper PF, castle). Most players I know don't like when the ball gets obscured too much.

Rules: No clue, but have to give the edge to Iron Maiden (Keith Elwin is likely to develop rules that will keep us busy for awhile!).

LCD images, callouts: Who knows? (haven't seen much detail yet). Wouldn't be surprised if ACNC wins on this point. I hear there are tons of Alice callouts, but have limited info. As Keith points out on the podcast, fancy imagery is for the observer...not the player. Keith's pin will be player-centric, for sure.

From my perspective, ACNC looks like a haunted castle pin with Alice Cooper as the main character. Not an Alice Cooper tribute pin, per se. I understand this was "by design" and will appeal to folks more interested in a haunted castle pin with some cool callouts and music by Alice Cooper.

To be honest, I wasn't paying much attention to Iron Maiden pinball, but the PF art/layout looks amazing and I'm sure Keith will make sure the rules rock.

snaroff

#54 6 years ago

ACMC takes the win.
Unless you have IMDN #666.

#55 6 years ago

I don't know what it is but AC's playfield art just looks flat. Highly detailed and amazing, but the color shades and tones are so close that nothing really pops out at you. Would like to see something break up those enormous wings by the slings too. Cab art looks awesome though !

#56 6 years ago

Both games look amazing. So glad this stuff is coming out. Can’t wait to play both pins. Growing up with Alice Cooper and it not being a traditional music pin ACNC was my choice. Also the quality is better and the butter graphics are so sweet. Spooky is an amazing company with great people and superior service. Look forward to gameplay on both.

#57 6 years ago

ACNC is sharp looking..

F69CE602-891F-40D1-AABF-73BAD1504902.jpegF69CE602-891F-40D1-AABF-73BAD1504902.jpeg

42B397AC-C21A-488F-8BFA-524D70670C20.jpeg42B397AC-C21A-488F-8BFA-524D70670C20.jpeg

#58 6 years ago

I’d like to hear how the sound system of Maiden LE stacks up to the new badass sound system that spooky now uses thanks to Scott D.

Rules on Cooper could be great if Bowen helps a lot, but Maiden’s rules already look great.

Art is better on Maiden for me

Layout looks better on Maiden too ask it’s hard to tell really what’s going on on Cooper.

Excited to play both. They should both be on location near me.

#59 6 years ago

ACNC by a long shot for me. I was excited when I seen the announcement of Iron Maiden and the possible artwork they could come up with. I was hoping for a really wild horror theme. I would like the artwork and layout more if it wasn't Iron Maiden if that makes sense. When you look at all the old school artwork of Iron Maiden it doesn't match up with this machine. The cabinet and translite are decent but gotta say I'm let down

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I'm still trying to find this one on there.

Here you go
sling (resized).JPGsling (resized).JPG
side.jpgside.jpg

#61 6 years ago

I am not buying either of these, even though both surprised me almost in spite of the themes. If I were to pick one up, price would certainly factor in my decision, so while I think ACNC looks “packed”, Imad pro seems like it has a lot going on for $1000 less.

#62 6 years ago

After disappointments from Aerosmith, SW, and GotG (largely from poor use of the LCD and lazy designs), Stern releases were no longer as exciting to anticipate, but Iron Maiden looks awesome, and I expect premium will be the way to go on it. It looks to be some mix of a better flowing TZ and perhaps some LOTR/AP and MET.

However, I prefer the art on ACNC and am intrigued with the unique layout and atmosphere that nails the essence of 80s toys/board games (IMO), thus triggering a bit of nostalgia. Mystery Castle has been on my radar for that reason, but ACNC appears to kick it up a notch.

I can see that I'd like to get a Maiden at some point, but perhaps second hand with fresher code. I'm in on Alice and am happy with that decision--I prefer the artist and atmosphere there, and also have no concern that I'd be able to grab a Maiden at any point I desire.

#63 6 years ago

At the end of the day... I'm broke and can't afford either.

#64 6 years ago

I am glad both got made, both look great but Stern will play faster as they have all the tools.

#65 6 years ago

Alice Cooper on the translite doesn't even look like Alice Cooper.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

Alice Cooper on the translite doesn't even look like Alice Cooper.

That’s a good thing!

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from Jackontherocks:

will play faster as they have all the tools.

It will play faster because that is how it is designed/intended.

ACNC seems specifically intended to be a mix of flow and tighter shots. It still has speed, that is for sure.

It also appears to me that Spooky has finally aligned all the tools. Charlie's sophomore design is really nice for shot layout and geometry on the main pf (plus a fun upper pf is a big wow for me!). Bowen taking charge of ruleset and risk/reward to help bring fawzma into real pinball world is = to Elwin working with a junior coder and both are great moves for each company. Art is really good on both, but I like ACNC more as it is a bit more artistic and seems they had more leeway with the originality (all the repeat imagery on IMDN is a bit odd to me personally but cool art). Quality is really not even a question as Stern has numerous problems with quality (ghosting pf still happening but less, cabinets splitting, node board issues, and code/flipper bugs are all real) while Spooky has superb quality assuming ACNC continues the path TNA has laid. Price puts IMDN in front with pros at 5500 and ACNC at 6450, but I think that extra grand gets you more of a premium package and the quality of pf alone is worth it. David V on graphics and the higher res of ACNC put it way ahead and that appears to be the first game to really do the LCD justice > I dont think this one is even a contest.

Pretty tight when you actually compare them both and that is both good for pinball and honestly cool to see how far spooky has come in so little time for their size. I mean... they are actually heads up in competition for Stern for customer dollars and that is a huge step.

For me right now, they both look amazing and honestly I want both for my personal collection. I wish I had more money and more space!

#68 6 years ago

ACNC looks good and would stand a chance, too bad it is $1000 more than IMDN. Stern is really starting to crank out great games at the lowest price point in the industry.

#69 6 years ago

I’m in on ACNC. I’d argue that you can compare it to a Stern premium. Hats off to Stern for stepping up to the plate and listening to their customers. Ultimately for me it boils down to only 500 games vs. an unlimited number. I’m looking forward to seeing what Spooky has to offer. Limited editions really need to start being defined and limited, especially at stern and JJP. I’m not sure if I can see the value in paying for something that is very similar to the next level down from it. All and all - so far a great year for pinball.

#70 6 years ago

People keep saying IMDN is $1000 less then ACNC. But really its like comparing an LE (ACNC) to a stripped down pro (IMDN). Not really a fair comparison. I think ACNC should be compared to IMDN LE. What would the price differemce be between ACNC and an LE version of Iron Maiden?

#71 6 years ago

Not a fan of either band, but the pins look good.

IMDN looks like a great layout, but those cheap ass looking thin plastic screened art things really turn me off for how much you are paying.

ACNC. I'd love to see a good gameplay video.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

People keep saying IMDN is $1000 less then ACNC. But really its like comparing an LE (ACNC) to a stripped down pro (IMDN). Not really a fair comparison. I think ACNC should be compared to IMDN LE. What would the price differemce be between ACNC and an LE version of Iron Maiden?

What are you talking about? The pro IMDN is absolutely comparable to ACNC. Saying IMDN pro is stripped down then calling ACNC an LE is pretty silly. Both are very comparable when you look at shots, toys, etc. IMDN looks like one of the best pros stern has ever done and you still have people that piss and moan and say it's stripped down. ACNC looks great, IMDN pro looks great. Why can't people just be happy?

#73 6 years ago

They both look really amazing.
Having seen the Archer development, I have a lot of anticipation for the Maiden gameplay. I think once we get to try them Alice Cooper will have a very hard time beating Iron Maiden... BUT this is the kind of competition we all love. Everyone is pushing everyone else to be better!

#74 6 years ago

I think both are winners for each company. I haven't been excited for a new Stern release since I jumped into this hobby ~1.5 years ago. IMDN looks to be a fun game with incredible artwork. Screen animations look like a school project though, but pf and cab artwork look great (credit, ofcourse to ZY, who always makes excellent artwork) With that said ACNC's artwork and gameplay also look fantastic and with Bowen helping on code, you'll know that there will be something for the casual with a deeper end-game for the pro. Keith's debut design is a much needed breath of fresh air for Stern's cookie cutter designs. Spooky is learning and growing with each machine and getting better and better! Two great releases for two VERY different companies.

#75 6 years ago

Iron Maiden and its not even close

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It is a biggie. They blatantly chose to avoid songs from those albums although they still perform some of them live. And there will never be modes for those songs with a corresponding insert on the playfield.

This food is terrible.

And such small portions!

It's probably for the best. No good could come of Dianno getting his hands on more royalty money.

As far as the comparisons go, it's really unfair. Alice Cooper is the game for you if you are really into Alice Cooper and/or castles. Maiden is going to appeal to the majority of people, those who want the highest quality pro game available for the cheapest price, just as Stern has been the only game in town for that option for 20 years.

Spooky has carved out a nice little niche for themselves in the boutique market and that's great, but it's kind of mean to compare their games to Sterns.

#77 6 years ago

I would love to own both but I have been wanting a Maiden pin for years. This design is my dream come true. I'm in on Iron Maiden. Hopefully I can give ACNC a spin some day. It looks awesome.

#78 6 years ago
#79 6 years ago

I went with ACNC as I think the game looks awesome. I really do like the Iron Maiden game with the 4 flippers. I am not a fan of the band but i wasn't a fan of Metallica until I got the pin and now I like them. So who knows..... I might be in on an Iron Maiden some day but I also want MMr, JJPOTC, Kingpin and TNA. With MMr and JJPOTC leading the way for the final 2 spots. I have held off on MMr because I have MB and AFM but whenever I see it somewhere I always want to play it over other games.

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

What are you talking about? The pro IMDN is absolutely comparable to ACNC. Saying IMDN pro is stripped down then calling ACNC an LE is pretty silly. Both are very comparable when you look at shots, toys, etc. IMDN looks like one of the best pros stern has ever done and you still have people that piss and moan and say it's stripped down. ACNC looks great, IMDN pro looks great. Why can't people just be happy?

actually he is correct if you actually break it all down. IMDN pro is stripped back and that is just the reality. It still fits into the PRO BOM and has a price increase. I think people are happy with it, but it is not a prem/le

ACNC is a single model with features and it really is more comparable to a Stern LE. Same number from a limited perspective, full upper pf, real backglass, premium trim is stock, full molded custom decorations. Spooky really does appear to have a base model that is on par with a Stern prem/le when you compare piece by peice. The Spooky top end is the option of adding on the butter cab if that is your thing.

#81 6 years ago

Everyone seems focused on cosmetics. Granted, very few have played either. Both do look great. ACNC does look pretty good with the whole castle/horror theme. Not really my style but definitely a level up for Spooky. I just think Iron Maiden looks like a blast to play with a fun layout, new stuff like that jump ramp to 3D target, and 4 flippers. That's the kind of stuff that gets me excited.

#82 6 years ago

I'm just happy another new designer is getting a shot, and looks to be doing a fantastic job!

Games couldn't be any more different for style, and that's a GREAT thing.

At the end of the day it isn't "which game is better"... it's which game suits your style of play preference more. Art, rules, shots / flow... all subjective stuff.

The fact that we're making games that can compete with the big companies... thrilled to be here! Alice will sell out... Maiden will sell a pile more... both business models work.

Congratulations to Keith, Stern, and yep... I can't wait to see Alice & Maiden games on location and in homes side by side. Maybe even in our home! Freakin' grew up on Alice, Priest, Maiden, and 50 other great bands my parents hated!

#83 6 years ago

ACNC looks like Alice is incorporated in the cab art and backglass but on the playfield it looks like just monsters and castle stuff. You could re art it and just call it Nightmare Castle. Think they should have put more Alice Images on the playfield or at least something from his song imagery. Still looks really cool!

#84 6 years ago
Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

I'm just happy another new designer is getting a shot, and looks to be doing a fantastic job!
At the end of the day it isn't "which game is better"... it's which game suits your style of play preference more. Art, rules, shots / flow... all subjective stuff.
The fact that we're making games that can compete with the big companies... thrilled to be here! Alice will sell out... Maiden will sell a pile more... both business models work.
Congratulations to Keith, Stern, and yep... I can't wait to see Alice & Maiden games on location and in homes side by side. Maybe even in our home! Freakin' grew up on Alice, Priest, Maiden, and 50 other great bands my parents hated!

When can we expect to see a good vid stream?

#85 6 years ago

Congratulations to Keith, Stern, and yep... I can't wait to see Alice & Maiden games on location and in homes side by side. Maybe even in our home!

That's "class" ladies and gentlemen!

I think they both look great. ACNC looks like a labor of love while Maiden looks like a polished delivery from the industry giant. Both very different, and both very cool. Noone can argue that both companies are not putting out a great product and on the rise.
I'm with SpookyCharlie - I want BOTH!

#86 6 years ago

Confirmed as Spooky next title!!!!! Get it done Charlie.

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

Confirmed as Spooky next title!!!!! Get it done Charlie.

I heard Motörhead was an option

#88 6 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

When can we expect to see a good vid stream?

Catching up on code right now... want to have A LOT to show when we do this (but soon).

Come play it at MGC and judge for yourself. Even better!

#89 6 years ago

Catching up on code right now... want to have A LOT to show when we do this (but soon).
Come play it at MGC and judge for yourself. Even better!

I'll be in line for sure!

#90 6 years ago

I think both games look spectacular but I went with ACNC just because I'm tired of the jukebox thing. What sold me was the whole moving through the castle, collecting items to help battle the monsters thing. I am a big fan of story driven games and this is exactly the type of story and ruleset I was hoping for in a pinball machine. Hopefully more companies start to do this!

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from GhostThruster:

I think both games look spectacular but I went with ACNC just because I'm tired of the jukebox thing. What sold me was the whole moving through the castle, collecting items to help battle the monsters thing. I am a big fan of story driven games and this is exactly the type of story and ruleset I was hoping for in a pinball machine. Hopefully more companies start to do this!

I am with you - Stern pick a song and play is a bit old to me. But if that's your band I am sure it is cool. Anyway, this thread is more on just look of the pin, or is it initial impressions of the game play as well?

#92 6 years ago

Happy to be in on your pin!! Great job! On ACNC...

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from Goronic:

I am with you - Stern pick a song and play is a bit old to me. But if that's your band I am sure it is cool. Anyway, this thread is more on just look of the pin, or is it initial impressions of the game play as well?

This thread was about which games art package you prefer. Some people can't miss an opportunity to turn everything into an anti stern fest though.

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

This thread was about which games art package you prefer. Some people can't miss an opportunity to turn everything into an anti stern fest though.

That's true. The pin companies are a bit like my kids. I love them all the same, but each have their own issues, pros and weaknesses.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

I didn't realize this was only an art package thread. I'm definitely not anti-stern. Was just stating my reason for choosing one over the other.

#96 6 years ago

Wait spooky is making a Priest game?

I’m in for a full on leather trim LE.

#97 6 years ago

I really like them both. But I'm much more a Maiden fan, and I love Eddie all over this game. Artwork is just fantastic. Cannot wait to see both of these in person.

#98 6 years ago

The fact that we're making games that can compete with the big companies... thrilled to be here!

Exactly. Job well done.

#99 6 years ago

I'm really intrigued by both of these pins... I don't think you can lose with either one.

Played ACNC at TPF and despite the early code, it was very playable and fun. The playfield, castle, and artwork has brought them to the big league, and I think that pin will stand up to anyone else. Really impressed! Don't get me started on the butter treated cab... it looks... liquid. Absolutely stunning.

I'm sure there are people out there that may not care for the band (no different than any music pin), but I think the Iron Maiden artwork is fantastic! Maybe a little 'busy', but that's nitpicking. The playfield and it's features are really interesting and make me want to play the game! Great to see that Stern is either spurred by the increase in competition or that they are listening to their customer base, and adding value to their LE models again!

#100 6 years ago

Nice that Maiden fans finally got what they've been asking for, and this pin has to be even better than what they had hoped it might be. Really like the idea of the AC pin, but it is missing many of my favorite Cooper tunes and for me the toys are just OK. If I had the room/cash, I'd go Maiden.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 8.99
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
Machine - For Sale
East Rochester, NY
$ 94.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 24.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 64.00
Cabinet - Other
Cento Creations
Other
$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Space Coast Pinball
Sound/Speakers
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
St. Augustine, FL
$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
7,057 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 212 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/alice-cooper%e2%80%99s-nightmare-castle-%e2%80%98vs%e2%80%99-iron-maiden-frost-looks/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.