You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

File Feb 16, 12 54 00 PM (resized).jpeg
File Feb 16, 12 53 44 PM (resized).jpeg
File Feb 16, 12 53 22 PM (resized).jpeg
File Feb 16, 12 54 16 PM (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Helping a friend with his Allied Leisure "Circa 1933" which is the same as Take Five and The Entertainer.

- At power-on, the lower right kicker/slingshot locks-on.
- The board was rebuilt about a year ago by John's Jukes.
- It does not lock-on if the CPU board is removed.
- I have replaced the diode at the coil.
- The CPU board is system/generation 2 (PCB50250125H)

1) Is replacement of the driving transistor the proper action? If so, how can I determine which Q# to replace? And what associated components should also get replaced? What parts/specs should I order?

2) Can someone walk me through the grounding of connector pins or Q tabs in order to help ID the Q that is suspect?
I was hoping that one of the coil lug wires would simply lead back to 1 pin inside 1 of the red, white or green CPU plugs. But I was surprised to have continuity from each lug back to many pins inside each of the CPU plugs.

3) Anyone have a schematic that can help? I know John's Jukes sells them, but not sure $40 is worth it for me.

I've succesfully replaced transistors on WPC before but I relied upon guidance from the widely available online troubleshooting guides. The ALI guides I've found (Johns Jukes, pinwiki) while helpful, lack the needed detail for my skill level.

Thanks!

File Feb 16, 12 54 16 PM (resized).jpegFile Feb 16, 12 54 16 PM (resized).jpeg

#2 7 years ago

weekend bump.

#3 7 years ago

Any ideas?

#6 7 years ago

File Feb 16, 12 53 22 PM (resized).jpegFile Feb 16, 12 53 22 PM (resized).jpeg
File Feb 16, 12 53 44 PM (resized).jpegFile Feb 16, 12 53 44 PM (resized).jpeg
File Feb 16, 12 54 00 PM (resized).jpegFile Feb 16, 12 54 00 PM (resized).jpeg

#7 7 years ago

Visually I could see no closed/shorted switches, solder splashes or bent/shorted switch lugs.

#9 7 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

What is the # on those large transistors

Not sure, I first need to get the board from him again to take a look. I will also test all of the Q's and see what I find. I appreciate your help.

#11 7 years ago

I got some feedback from John's Jukes on RGP:

"The driver transistor (TIP3055) needs to be replaced, and I also recommend replacing the pre-driver transistor (MPS6531) and the isolation capacitor (100ufd/16v). Most likely the diode failed on the coil and this took out the driver transistor."

"you MUST still replace the diode on the coil as it is certainly bad (and possibly the coil itself)."

I'm waiting on Ed from GPE to complete a parts order, will update when I try those parts.

Quoted from lavmech1:

I have the exact same issue, exact same pin. Replaced a transistor that seemed to test bad but no change. I'll have to try testing them again. Likewise on not having a readable set of schematics. The ones posted online are too blurry to read closely. I'll post any progress I make.

Which coil is locking on for you?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jeffc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ali-cocktail-locked-on-coil?tu=jeffc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.