Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpeg
    tempting fate (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.13.49 PM (resized).png
    bostonpinball (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

Is it me or does it seem like market prices are all over the place right now?
    I’m sure corona has something to do with it and folks needed to make some cash during this crazy time?
    Just seems to be some big swings on some of the same machines ....
    I’m sure it will calm down as soon as we start to return to whatever the “new normal” is .... right?

Hmm ... the new normal ... wonder what that will look like.

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from Beez:

Is it me or does it seem like market prices are all over the place right now?
    I’m sure corona has something to do with it and folks needed to make some cash during this crazy time?
    Just seems to be some big swings on some of the same machines ....
    I’m sure it will calm down as soon as we start to return to whatever the “new normal” is .... right?
    Hmm ... the new normal ... wonder what that will look like.

Does seem like threads of this topic are on the rise...

#3 3 years ago

Lots of people staying at home. A massive deal could come up in my town for a game I want, and I wouldn’t go get it right now. And I wouldn’t sell a game right now, because I don’t want people coming to my house right now. So it’s harder to sell a game right now. If you need to sell it, the group of available buyers Is smaller. And people are hanging on to free cash a bit tighter right now.

#4 3 years ago

The new normal is

Unknown (resized).jpgUnknown (resized).jpg
    #5 3 years ago

I have not seen any real deals, but if some come up I would go get them at someone's house. This virus does not scare me, but it is destroying the economy due to fear in people. We could see real deflation coming. We have an exponential increase in public debt coupled with a decreasing population increase rate. Add in a flat yield curve along with corporate debt exploding against a weakening GDP AND the velocity of money slowing way down and you will soon find banks not wanting to loan money since the debt will be non productive in nature.

In short - we have screwed ourselves by buying into the fear and will pay for it dearly.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from glasairpilot:

I have not seen any real deals, but if some come up I would go get them at someone's house. This virus does not scare me, but it is destroying the economy due to fear in people. We could see real deflation coming. We have an exponential increase in public debt coupled with a decreasing population increase rate. Add in a flat yield curve along with corporate debt exploding against a weakening GDP AND the velocity of money slowing way down and you will soon find banks not wanting to loan money since the debt will be non productive in nature.
    In short - we have screwed ourselves by buying into the fear and will pay for it dearly.

The people who "aren't afraid" seem to be the reason the numbers are on the rise. It's not about being afraid, but respecting the unknown and being smart.

#7 3 years ago

I've seen a bunch of good deals already. People are trying to get ahead and sell games while they still can. New Normal is NIB pinball prices are going to come down. The Economy is being devastated and when its finally over. I doubt people will be running over each other to buy 9k LE's and 13k CE's

#8 3 years ago

On the other hand, logic could also dictate availability to drop and prices to remain stable. Having a pinball machine at home is the perfect way to pass time.... just like the run on video game consoles and home gym equipment.

During the great recession prices on pinball machines didn't take much of a dip, as astonishing as it was.

bostonpinball (resized).pngbostonpinball (resized).png
    #9 3 years ago

I am looking for a title or two and the pricing that I am seeing really shows no decline. Again, as others have said, if you have a few machines in your collection and you are one of the primary demographics who visit this site, you probably are not in a position to have to sell. I for one am staying home from work. Taking this seriously, investing where it makes sense and saying an extra prayer each eve that my loved ones are spared from this virus. This is already one for the history books. Having said this though I am also sensitive to the financial ramifications. It’s a hard one right now. Hang tough

#10 3 years ago

Please call ahead to your local hospital and verbally setup an advanced directive to refuse a ventilator.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

During the great recession prices on pinball machines didn't take much of a dip, as astonishing as it was.

During the great recession, there was also hardly jack shit as far as new machines were concerned. These rising prices reflect mostly classic B/W from the 90s now that they were out of business and the demand became much higher.

There was not the glut of new machines the last five years of economic prosperity has brought us.

But I can see this next recession very similar to the last one in some ways.

#12 3 years ago

Always Florida...we’re screwed because states like yours aren’t being responsible. The full Florida beaches are partially responsible for spreading the virus.
    (edited)
    You can’t troll a virus. You can’t spin a virus. You can’t pray away a virus. Ignorance = bio-terrorism. Read some facts on this thing & how it’s affected other countries already.

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from Baiter:

On the other hand, logic could also dictate availability to drop and prices to remain stable. Having a pinball machine at home is the perfect way to pass time.... just like the run on video game consoles and home gym equipment.
    During the great recession prices on pinball machines didn't take much of a dip, as astonishing as it was.[quoted image]

This needs to be adjusted for inflation to be of any value

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

The people who "aren't afraid" seem to be the reason the numbers are on the rise. It's not about being afraid, but respecting the unknown and being smart.

Right. Its not about whether or not you are healthy. Its about doing your part and staying put. Because, it spreads so fast and easy.

There was a Genesis in my area for a decent price. 1,800. Sure maybe I can get one cheaper. But, it seemed in good condition and I think LED's were already added. So, that means its generally been taken care of better than the needs new bands and some bulbs are out(and you can bet the playfield has never been waxed since they owned it.). But, I figure when you add in either the shipping cost or the cost and time of travel, it be a wash for a cheaper game.

But, it seemed to have been scooped up lately... Which is fine. Cos I am not leaving my house to buy a pinball. I'll buy another one or a different game once this blows over.

#15 3 years ago

As usual those with a large cash reserve will be fine. I've seen people listing games at unrealistic prices (as usual) testing the waters. However a large majority of our country are uncertain about the future so non essential purchases aren't happening. Food, rent/mortgage, utilities > pinball.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

This needs to be adjusted for inflation to be of any value

It won't change the chart. Besides inflation being negative in 2009 (which would make the price move slope up faster), inflation during the run-up from 2010-2017 was about 2% per year, while prices went up 250%.

#17 3 years ago

I made a comment about a pin that is for sale that I would not mind having. But it is too far away. Anyway, just by my offhand comment, I get PM from the seller. He wants to deal. He has wife and a kid or 2 and his job went by-by with Covid. He needs money. 2 pins just like it sold for $900.00. He wants $1000.00. I think that is what he paid for it.

Problem is that he lives a long ways away. Shipping would be probably be $450.00. I am not interested in digging myself into a hole so there was no deal.

Nobody is desperate yet. But if this virus business lasts for awhile you might see some distress sales.

#18 3 years ago

Yep. Most people now trying to dump pinball machines because they are out of work and need the money are mostly going to find themselves shit out of luck because of lockdown. If anybody is bold enough to go buy one, they aren't going to want to pay full value or would rather just stay home.

By the time the lockdown is over and we are in a deep recession that could take many years to recover, there will be plenty of deals to be had on the bulk of newer games, while the older collectable machines will still hold their luster with those that have money.

As far as the industry itself's recovery in a deep recession after being shut down for months, your guess is as good as mine. If ten years ago is any indicator, the outlook is not so good.

#19 3 years ago

I live in Minneapolis and watch the Minneapolis/Wisconsin thread as well as the Craigslist listings. There has been some chatter on this point. A lot of pins have gone up on Craigslist and the consensus is that pins are still going for market value. At least that’s the case in Minneapolis.

#20 3 years ago

I've watched and read many posts about it and my consensus is most, not all, of Pinside is in complete denial on another economic disaster that could affect their hobby and turn it upside down from the full speed ahead of the last few years.

Even today, with all that's going on, many are still in denial.

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I've watched and read many posts about it and my consensus is most, not all, of Pinside is in complete denial on another economic disaster that could affect their hobby and turn it upside down from the full speed ahead of the last few years.

While anything is possible I have seen with my very own eyes this week that people that have money are in fact, get ready for this, spending it! I have had my best week on ebay EVER and don’t sense it slowing at all. Could be a fluke but if anyone wants to sell any games I have on my want list, shoot me a PM!

I know there is little shown for a long term plan for our economy but people learn to adapt and fit into what consumers want... it seems that NO ONE wants to go to actual stores any more. Yeah, the US economy was always trending towards this anyway but this has just made it a reality. If a brick and mortar can’t survive without income for a month or longer, maybe it wasn’t in all that great demand any way.

Restaurants, bars, hair salons, ect. will come back when people are able to mingle again... I am ordering as much local carry out while still eating healthy. Anyway, I hope we can “be ok”... I am very hopeful but only time will tell.

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

I have had my best week on ebay EVER

You don't happen to be in the mail order toilet paper business by chance?

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

While anything is possible I have seen with my very own eyes this week that people that have money are in fact, get ready for this, spending it! I have had my best week in ebay EVER and don’t sense it slowing at all.

Nice! What are you selling?

I just have a feeling that the next few months is going to have a trickle down affect, and only the wealthy or those with no house payments or big debt will be the only players in the pinball buying market when the dust settles. And with so many machines flooding the world lately, something is going to have to give.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Nice! What are you selling?
    I just have a feeling that the next few months is going to have a trickle down affect, and only the wealthy or those with no house payments or big debt will be the only players in the pinball buying market when the dust settles. And with so many machines flooding the world lately, something is going to have to give.

Vintage video games. I know, a shocker.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Always Florida...we’re screwed because states like yours aren’t being responsible. The full Florida beaches are partially responsible for spreading the virus. Stop listening to Dongload Clump & right-wing propaganda...you can’t troll a virus. You can’t spin a virus. You can’t pray away a virus. Ignorance = bio-terrorism. Read some facts on this thing & how it’s affected other countries already.

LOL, I'm in Indiana. I have a home in FL that I use about 4 weeks per year. Are you telling me that California is more sane than Florida? You have people crapping on your sidewalks and leaving needles on them also. Oh yeak, they live in tents outside of businesses and steal from them and do not go to jail if it is less than $900. Tell me more about how FL is destroying the nation.

#26 3 years ago

As a home remodeler I'm on a "stay at home" order with 20 cases in a county with 165K residents. Losing 4K in work in April. I'd rather lose that work than my life from this virus. Close to 60 yrs old. Better safe than DEAD.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from BobSacamano:

Please call ahead to your local hospital and verbally setup an advanced directive to refuse a ventilator.

I have a 99.9% chance of not needing one and if I do we have plenty here as we are not in a city of 11 million living like rats in a cage and being governed by idiots.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

As a home remodeler I'm on a "stay at home" order with 20 cases in a county with 165K residents. Losing 4K in work in April. I'd rather lose that work than my life from this virus. Close to 60 yrs old. Better safe than DEAD.

At 60 years old that is probably as wise decision.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Vintage video games. I know, a shocker.

Something to do while stuck at home that is easy to transport and won't break the bank. Perfect.

Pinball machines are a little different animal right now I think. Although they are also great to have while stuck at home.

Some people are stuck at home now with bills and no job. Many business will not survive a one month shutdown, let alone a three or four month one.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If we continue with this "lock down" the last thing you will worry about is pinball.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

I am hoping when it’s over, you will have plenty of work. Most all people that I know that own their own businesses have a plan and are some of the most ingenious people that I know. People make it work and if it can’t, make something else work.

#32 3 years ago

If we continue with this "lock down" the last thing you will worry about is pinball.

I'm not really worried because I owe nobody money. Cruise control through the last economic crash too.

You gotta be ready for times like these, because they happen like every ten years. Economy is down, people sell their luxury and non essential items for cheap.

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not really worried because I owe nobody money. Cruise control through the last economic crash too.
    You gotta be ready for times like these, because they happen like every ten years. Economy is down, people sell their luxury and non essential items for cheap.

I'm in the same boat, but this time is different. We just shut down an entire country because of a virus that will kill less than 1/2 of 1% of people infected (if all infections were included in the equation). We have a population increase rate that is declining towards 0% and other countries (including China) that are losing population and yet all nations are expanding public debt. At the same time personal savings has went down year over year and personal debt is up. Corporate debt is through the roof and GDP is down. The velocity of money is slowing quickly as well. Municipalities will be hit hard when people decide not to make their property tax payments. We will add a minimum of 5 trillion and likely 10 trillion to the national debt before this is over and we have now decided that this will be the new normal every couple of years when a new virus comes around.

#34 3 years ago

Yes, the fallout is looking to be a lot uglier than it is being presented if you don't wear the prescription rose colored glasses.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Yes, the fallout is looking to be a lot uglier than it is being presented if you don't wear the prescription rose colored glasses.

Agreed. I believe we could see considerable deflation and that is something we really have not seen since 1929.

#36 3 years ago

I believe we could see considerable deflation and that is something we really have not seen since 1929.

The only difference being, that started the greatest decade of pinball production in history. I don't see it that way this time.

Coin op has been on it's way out anyway since people started paying mostly with card and phone.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The only difference being, that started the greatest decade of pinball production in history. I don't see it that way this time.

Again, agreed.

#38 3 years ago

If we continue with the lockdown, I will be in hibernation and trying to stay safe. I'll be busy working on and playing my pins. And hope I don't need parts that I don't already have.

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

If we continue with the lockdown, I will be in hibernation and trying to stay safe. I'll be busy working on and playing my pins. And hope I don't need parts that I don't already have.

Are you immune compromised or elderly? If not, then you have no more to worry about than if you got the flu. The whole country can't stay home and play games and expect to have it's needs supplied by magic. What we are doing is insane.

#40 3 years ago

If not, then you have no more to worry about than if you got the flu. The whole country can't stay home and play games and expect to have it's needs supplied by magic. What we are doing is insane.

A result of our country promoting eating and sitting in front of TV as hobbies.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

If anybody is bold enough to go buy one, they aren't going to want to pay full value or would rather just stay home.

I put on a lot of miles since 2015 procuring the pins I have. I think about what you say. I did not get bargain prices. I got fair prices for the market at the time. There are a couple more in this family of pins I like, but they would have to stupid money deal for me to chance it on the highway. And it would suck to cross state lines only to have your state slam the borders closed to everybody. There is.was a Stern Meteor for sale in St. Louis. The price was right; IT looked nice. But 460 miles one way into Missouri. Can't do it.

It is kind of like gas is $1.74 per gallon. But I not going anywhere and don't enjoy the cheap prices. I have not driven 50 miles in 2 weeks.

#42 3 years ago

Well, it appears that other than O-Din agreeing with me I am at odds with all of you. Enjoy your time at home and get use to it. If we continue to act like this over every challenge that comes along we will all be living in the next third world country.

#43 3 years ago

You’re going to get severely down voted for speaking the truth.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

You’re going to get severely down voted for speaking the truth.

Mostly by people that believe the pinball industry will still be alive and thriving just like it has been when this is all over, I'm sure.

#45 3 years ago

Well, it appears that other than O-Din agreeing with me I am at odds with all of you. Enjoy your time at home and get use to it. If we continue to act like this over every challenge that comes along we will all be living in the next third world country.

Many in the mob buy into what the media is showing. Not that the virus isn’t real, but we are recking our economy over this. What is going to be worse, people starving all over the place with no means to feed their family or all this fear mongering?

#46 3 years ago

I wish them all the best of course, but all of this happening and JJP moving to Chicago now at the same time. That has to complicate matters.

#47 3 years ago

Are you telling me that California is more sane than Florida? You have people crapping on your sidewalks and leaving needles on them also. Oh yeak, they live in tents outside of businesses and steal from them and do not go to jail if it is less than $900. Tell me more about how FL is destroying the nation.

He's not from California anyway. Just another implant.

As big as our state is, that is mostly in the densest, populated areas that most of us that did grow up here try to stay away from.

#48 3 years ago

Are you immune compromised or elderly? If not, then you have no more to worry about than if you got the flu. The whole country can't stay home and play games and expect to have it's needs supplied by magic. What we are doing is insane.

I'm 68. Call it elderly or what ever you want. I am fortunate that I am retired. And no debts. I detect you are still thinking that is not hitting some younger people. That is not so. Some people in the 40s and 50s made their last check out.

Our needs are not supplied by magic and that is there rub. We still have to live. And that causes this insanity. Screw global warming. This virus is way more inconvenient than global warming.

Fortunately I can stay home. But I may need to step and help out a couple of neighbors. The guy next door works heating/air at University. He is off for 30 days. As time progresses, I'm betting he will be home for an additional 30 days.

I have not seen my girl friend for 2 weeks. She has respiratory issues and is terrified of going outside. She is also retied and used to work in a hospital.

So, back to my other post, I will be staying inside and playing the pins. I bought them for something to do in retirement. I'm retired. I am going to enjoy them.

#49 3 years ago

Should it bother me when people not from California that moved here refer to it as their state?

Well, it appears that other than O-Din agreeing with me I am at odds with all of you.

I've been doing this for almost 8 years. Around here you have to be immune to a lot of things.

#50 3 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

What is going to be worse, people starving all over the place with no means to feed their family or all this fear mongering?

Check these numbers out. I am in the camp that the country needs a hard shutdown for 30 days. Would that suck? Of course. I offer no easy way to do it, though. No one else knows how to do it or it would already be done.

But these numbers say we are not doing so hot.

What is worse that starving? You could be dead.

Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.13.49 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.13.49 PM (resized).png

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ale-prices-all-over-the-place-and-the-new-normal?hl=ruralcollector and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.