Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by ForceFlow
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

images (resized).jpeg
    tempting fate (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-29 at 11.13.49 PM (resized).png
    bostonpinball (resized).png
    Unknown (resized).jpg

This topic is closed.

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 4 years ago

Edit- this idea will probably never happen and can only serve to piss a certain amount of people off.

#52 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Should it bother me when people not from California that moved here refer to it as their state?

If they want to call it their state they can’t be in the seats behind me screaming in my ear for the Eagles when I’m at the Rams game.

#53 4 years ago
    Quoted from vicjw66:

If they want to call it their state they can’t be in the seats behind me screaming in my ear for the Eagles when I’m at the Rams game.

Damn straight!

Or wave whatever flag they used to wave from wherever they came from. Or set up their own little towns to replicate the places they had to get away from. It gotten just plain stupid.

#54 4 years ago
    Quoted from tomdrum:

As usual those with a large cash reserve will be fine. I've seen people listing games at unrealistic prices (as usual) testing the waters. However a large majority of our country are uncertain about the future so non essential purchases aren't happening. Food, rent/mortgage, utilities > pinball.

You are right on the mark there.

#55 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Check these numbers out. I am in the camp that the country needs a hard shutdown for 30 days. Would that suck? Of course. I offer no easy way to do it, though. No one else knows how to do it or it would already be done.
    But these numbers say we are not doing so hot.
    What is worse that starving?
    [quoted image]

The numbers from starvation are much larger.

#56 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This is all a result of overpopulation if you want to cut to the heart of the matter.
    Perhaps we can learn from all this and instigate some rule like China had, that each couple should not have any more than two children.
    I know it's not going to be the most popular thing, but when you think about it, it's kind of selfish to reproduce more than you started with in this world now.

I won't disagree with you on the overpopulation statement. But I am not willing to commit suicide to save the planet.

China's policy was the one-child policy. It has not worked out all that good. In China, there is a very big thing of having a son. If the baby was a girl, it would not be around long. Infanticide was practiced so couple would have a boy. And now, there are not enough girls to go around for all the guys.

The worse, IMO, about this policy is if an "unallowed" baby was born there was no documentation, no birth certificate. Basically, it like that person does not exist.

https://www.britannica.com/story/the-effects-of-chinas-one-child-policy

#57 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

But I am not willing to commit suicide to save the planet.

I didn't suggest that, but something needs to be done. It's either us or nature that takes care of a species when there are too many of them, and we crossed that line billions ago.

This time it is nature doing what mankind refuses to do anything about.

#58 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Vintage video games. I know, a shocker.

Oh good, you’re not one of the guys selling the $20 adjustable dumbbell weight sets for $250. Some crazy price gouging on workout gear (among other things).

#59 4 years ago

My machines are still the same price,NOT FOR SALE.

#60 4 years ago

Well ya..Bargains all over the place, I am finding bargains not to be believed (on parts not interested in whole machines) Jenn has way too many the way it is, My favorite find so far since this virus thing started is...Get this...Nos, volume pot, for a wurlitzer 412 juke, (1936), aparently it was kept in a pickle jar all these years.

#61 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I won't disagree with you on the overpopulation statement. But I am not willing to commit suicide to save the planet.
    China's policy was the one-child policy. It has not worked out all that good. In China, there is a very big thing of having a son. If the baby was a girl, it would not be around long. Infanticide was practiced so couple would have a boy. And now, there are not enough girls to go around for all the guys.
    The worse, IMO, about this policy is if an "unallowed" baby was born there was no documentation, no birth certificate. Basically, it like that person does not exist.
    https://www.britannica.com/story/the-effects-of-chinas-one-child-policy

Yeah the one-child screwed them hard.
    If you want to see how great encouraging "limited reproduction" is, take a look at India. I believe woman are outnumbered 10 to 1 in India, infanticide is still rampant and obviously rape and sex crimes are astronomical. Birthrates here in the US are already extremely low, only 1.3 children on average, so don't worry about us overpopulating, it won't happen.
    The issue over perceived crowding and overpopulation in the US is thanks to the absolute morons we saw on the beaches in Florida and the same types responsible in New York City where over 80% of the cases in NYS are. People are packing in like caged animals and loving it for some reason. The urban density just caused this to explode.

Side note: If this is what our urban cities are facing, just stop and consider how magically China was able to stop this disease overnight, despite the incubation period of 2 weeks causing new cases to appear well after forced quarantines.
    People get pissy and I get downvoted to hell, but if you have a brain and aren't a science denier then it's painfully obvious what's going on...
    Don't believe everything the TV feeds you

To remain on topic: No, I see lots of folks clearing out uncommon, hard-to-find projects that RARELY come up for sale, but prices are still within market value. Once this drags into July, then you're gonna see the bottom really fall out.

#62 4 years ago

Moderation warning: this thread is about sale prices, not overpopulation or child policy. Try to keep it on topic, thanks.

Edit: Forbidden topics include news from China as well... (except Homepin!)

#63 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

consider how magically China was able to stop this disease overnight

But did they really.

I'd hate to think any optimism that this will be over here in a couple months is based on anything they are telling us.

Edit- sorry, missed the moderator warning. Won't do it again.

#64 4 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Moderation warning: this thread is about sale prices, not overpopulation or child policy. Try to keep it on topic, thanks.

When people start selling TWD's for 3k then I'll agree the market's whack!
    Until the ass falls out it's just a sick pipe dream... If prices actually got that cheap then I think buying a machine would be the last thing on our minds!

#65 4 years ago
    Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

When people start selling TWD's for 3k then I'll agree the market's whack!

I would definitely buy one in France at this price!

#66 4 years ago

I’m honestly concerned about having anything shipped to my house. Whether USPS, UPS or FedEx, how many people are touching that package? And especially if it is being shipped from another country. I need some parts from a guy in Germany and have been holding off. I’ve even been wearing gloves when going through the mail.

#67 4 years ago

I would be more comfortable ordering a NIB pin right now then buying a used game at someone's house. With a new game you can let it sit in your garage for a few days to a week as an extra precaution to make sure any chance of the virus is killed. There's likely no concern about the games contents considering the game was likely made a couple weeks prior.

Kaneda just had Joe Newhart (distributor) on his show and asked how recent game sales have been. Joe said he's seen an uptick in new game sales as people want something to do at home. He did say he expects new sales to go down a bit but that is partially due to the game manufacturers no longer making games. Whatever NIB supply is out there could be all what's available for a few months.

#68 4 years ago
    Quoted from jimwe5t:

Many in the mob buy into what the media is showing. Not that the virus isn’t real, but we are recking our economy over this. What is going to be worse, people starving all over the place with no means to feed their family or all this fear mongering?

The other day Knoxville had 8 suicides in 48 hours...WAY more than normal for our area. I suspect this will dramatically increase.

In addition, how many colon cancers are being missed with the lockdown on colonoscopies? Melanomas with no dermatologists? Etc. At some point people are going to need their non-urgent, non-COVID medical care restored. As an ophthalmologist, people have real and sight-threatening problems. Yes, many can wait a month or two and that is what we are doing in our office for the non-urgent patients. However, stuff is going to be missed in nearly every specialty. That is something I never hear talked about. We are in between the proverbial rock and a hard place.

As far as pinball, I've been too busy doing landscaping and spring maintenance outside. Thank God for some good weather here recently. I am hoping to continue to tweak some games but nothing huge.\

If I did sell right now, it would be at market prices from a few weeks ago.

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from glasairpilot:

I have a 99.9% chance of not needing one and if I do we have plenty here as we are not in a city of 11 million living like rats in a cage and being governed by idiots.

tempting fate (resized).pngtempting fate (resized).png
    #70 4 years ago

Location of pins within driving distance is a huge thing for the first time. There are 2 TSPPs within 200 miles of me I'd love to have. However, for the first time, I have been told that if I travel to these areas (in NY and NJ) I will not be allowed back into the government facility where I work for 2 weeks. So... picking up these pins is now = to the price of the pin, 2 weeks of unpaid leave, plus the chance I'll get sick and even if I don't go to the hospital over it, will miss 2 weeks of pay.

#71 4 years ago

The only change I foresee is lots of "lower end" machines flooding the market as folks actually have time to get to their projects over the next 5 weeks.

#72 4 years ago

Think I'm actually seeing less pins for sale here in the CT area and the ones that I see are in the upper price ranges, pre-crisis if you will.

I suspect people are going to try and sit this out (no buying or selling) unless they are facing a big financial crisis hoping it blows over fast.

Personally I don't think this is going to be over fast, it is going to ripple out for some time. Businesses that were marginal are going to be pushed over the edge and other industries are going to take advantage of the situation. Some restaurants (which have a terrible success rate in general) are not going to reopen, theme parks, hotels and cruise lines are all going to take a hit. Hollywood has been considering dropping movie theaters and going direct to video on demand, indeed Universal has already shipped one movie out VOD which had theater owner's panties in a bunch before this crisis hit. This will only accelerate and you can look for theater chains to go the way of the drive in sooner or later which I have been calling for years. Inevitable.

#73 4 years ago

i think another factor to consider in all this is the growth of new players that fueled many sales in last few years..they had money to spend on this new hobby as well as other toys..we may not see new players as people wont drop money into machines in the wild or even have the money to buy their own..

#74 4 years ago

If you are seeing any "bargains" on games right now, its because some people are nervous and want to get ahead of the fall out. It's way too soon to know where the pin market is going. Here in Michigan, like many other states, we have been on lock down for 2 weeks. If you get pulled over you better have a damn good excuse for being out driving. We can leave for necessities. Even if I want to buy or sell I really can't. We won't know how this is going to play out till at least June. By then we should have a good bead on where the economy is headed. My original thoughts when this started were that higher end collectable games will stay at high prices. The middle of the road games like stern pros, wms games in the 4 to 6k will see a little drop off. Condition is really going to affect their prices as people will be a little pickier on what they spend money on. The lower end will suffer the most. Player condition fishtales, shadow, and similar games that were bringing low to mid 3s might struggle to get high 2s. Again, because the few buyers out there will be very picky.

#75 4 years ago

If we continue with this "lock down" the last thing you will worry about is pinball.

Quoted from jimwe5t:

You’re going to get severely down voted for speaking the truth.

Who cares....many on these virus threads are politicizing the issue. One of the many problems is people are glued to the TV all day listening to all the negative things going on the world (especially from CNN). Personally we are taking this shit seriously, and doing what were told to do, but at some point u have to take a leap, practice good hygiene, and get on with life.....when is that? Not sure, but if the left wing liberals had their choice it would be until after the election....

#76 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

If you are seeing any "bargains" on games right now, its because some people are nervous and want to get ahead of the fall out. It's way too soon to know where the pin market is going. Here in Michigan, like many other states, we have been on lock down for 2 weeks. If you get pulled over you better have a damn good excuse for being out driving. We can leave for necessities. Even if I want to buy or sell I really can't. We won't know how this is going to play out till at least June. By then we should have a good bead on where the economy is headed. My original thoughts when this started were that higher end collectable games will stay at high prices. The middle of the road games like stern pros, wms games in the 4 to 6k will see a little drop off. Condition is really going to affect their prices as people will be a little pickier on what they spend money on. The lower end will suffer the most. Player condition fishtales, shadow, and similar games that were bringing low to mid 3s might struggle to get high 2s. Again, because the few buyers out there will be very picky.

All good points. I sold a perfect condition HUO Pirates LE with some mods for $12k about a week prior to the state lock down. Due to the large increase in cases and the state lockdown I wouldn't be selling the game if I still had it. At the same time I don't see that game dropping in value anytime soon along with other collectible pins. I had an eye on another pin here in Michigan but have to hold off as it's just not the worth the risk to get it.

I think we will see NIB sales continue to be steady if not increase as buyers opt for a new pin at this time versus risking buying used and getting infected. NIB sales may eventually slow as remaining supply drys up.

#77 4 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I think we will see NIB sales continue to be steady if not increase as buyers opt for a new pin at this time versus risking buying used and getting infected. NIB sales may eventually slow as remaining supply drys up.

What is to prevent a line workers from getting Corona on a new pin?

Buy used pin, wipe it down with bleach wipes and call it a day. No need to bear hug the seller or even shake hands. The virus is easily killed by bleach or several other anti-bacterial agents, I'd have zero problem buying a used pin.

I see new pins being an uncertain market as people are not necessarily going to risk a large amount of money in uncertain times. Last economic crisis Stern was in bad shape, see the same thing playing out again.

#78 4 years ago
    Quoted from jlm33:

Edit: Forbidden topics include news from China as well... (except Homepin!)

Homepin ? Homepin closed his closed his account and is long gone it looks like.

#79 4 years ago

Maryland Governor just issued a stay at home order effective tonight at 8 except for essential trips. I don't believe buying a pinball machine would be deemed essential, even if it was a good deal.

#80 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Maryland Governor just issued a stay at home order effective tonight at 8 except for essential trips. I don't believe buying a pinball machine would be deemed essential, even if it was a good deal.

But Officer, I have been carrying this pin around in my car for 2 weeks I had to go buy a gallon of milk which you can see sitting in the passenger seat.

#81 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

Congrats on the lockdown. We have been locked up for 2 weeks but a lot of people didn't follow. Now we are at 5500 and counting. My building contractor friend told me last week the police were going thru new subdivisions looking for people working. Another contractor he knows got ticketed because he was told to leaveand after the cop left he came back and he was still working. I also heard of people getting pulled over only to be asked were they are going and why.

#82 4 years ago

Of course the pin market is going to be affected but it's a lag like everything else... Right now people are still buying who can but that will change as soon as the impact shifts from just retail/service to corporate America. The reality here is the average service/retail employee can't afford pinball as it is so the market essentially carries on until the shift occurs. I am not trying to be rude in saying that but... No one here can say how much of an impact it'll have but at some point the market will be flooded with people who need cash now and those who have it will score some amazing deals. This is pretty typical economic behavior when the economy corrects, this time may be more severe due to the widespread impact of this but...

Jeff

#83 4 years ago
    Quoted from freeplay3:

Congrats on the lockdown. We have been locked up for 2 weeks but a lot of people didn't follow. Now we are at 5500 and counting. My building contractor friend told me last week the police were going thru new subdivisions looking for people working. Another contractor he knows got ticketed because he was told to leaveand after the cop left he came back and he was still working. I also heard of people getting pulled over only to be asked were they are going and why.

We have had it for a while but they are ratcheting it up even more. I am glad to see it.

#84 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

We have had it for a while but they are ratcheting it up even more. I am glad to see it.

Meanwhile New York is entering another month of quarantine

Plus side, I haven’t been stopped by police yet, but my sources tell me they aren’t doing many traffic stops due to the virus.
    I’m glad other states are learning from us and getting strict.

#85 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

Check these numbers out. I am in the camp that the country needs a hard shutdown for 30 days. Would that suck? Of course. I offer no easy way to do it, though. No one else knows how to do it or it would already be done.
    But these numbers say we are not doing so hot.
    What is worse that starving? You could be dead.
    [quoted image]

Here’s the starting point of a lot of arguing. These shutdowns are not part of a country wide decision, they are STATE decisions.

Sure, some states are run butter than others. Those states that were the most “proactive” will hopefully see fewer deaths. I know that’s not the only factor but, the most depressing thing about all this is that the country as a whole is only “reactive” to what happens and not “proactive” at all about ANYTHING EVER.

So, when a disease pops up killing people left and right because the system is not ready and never was ready, it quickly exposes how US manufacturing and the healthcare system in general has no morals at all. And so it goes on, into the next decades, just like the last 5 decades... I’ve been a diabetic for 30 years, have seen things that would make you throw up.

This has nothing to do with politics and it has little to do with morals in business. The system has ALWAYS been like this. People’s attitudes have ALWAYS been like this. It just took this crisis for everyone to realize it.

“There’s no problem and all.”
    And
    “We need to panic.”
    NEITHER are sustainable. There has to be an intelligent and happy “in between” and the sooner we reach it, the sooner more people will be saved and the sooner we will all be better off in the country and in the world.

#86 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

Here’s the starting point of a lot of arguing. These shutdowns are not part of a country wide decision, they are STATE decisions.
    Sure, some states are run butter than others. Those states that were the most “proactive” will hopefully see fewer deaths. I know that’s not the only factor but, the most depressing thing about all this is that the country as a whole is only “reactive” to what happens and not “proactive” at all about ANYTHING EVER.
    So, when a disease pops up killing people left and right because the system is not ready and never was ready, it quickly exposes how US manufacturing and the healthcare system in general has no morals at all. And so it goes on, into the next decades, just like the last 5 decades... I’ve been a diabetic for 30 years, have seen things that would make you throw up.
    This has nothing to do with politics and it has little to do with morals in business. The system has ALWAYS been like this. People’s attitudes have ALWAYS been like this. It just took this crisis for everyone to realize it.
    “There’s no problem and all.”
    And
    “We need to panic.”
    NEITHER are sustainable. There has to be an intelligent and happy “in between” and the sooner we reach it, the sooner more people will be saved and the sooner we will all be better off in the country and in the world.

Well said.

You have heard of foxhole religion, correct? This is no different. People will not believe until someone close to them gets it and dies, a prominent politician bites the dust, or a celebrity kicks off.

(To die: Pick your euphemism, Die, pass away, check out, kick the bucket, bite the dust, pushing up daisys, ride off into the sunset, expire, succumb, flatline, pop off, drop dead, and croak ).

I was thumbed down quite awhile back for posting something similar to this, but roadblocks are what it would take to shut things down. Our Governor shut down the state of Kansas but got a lot of flack from of the other state leaders for do so.

If the trucks need to keep rolling along with some other items, it could come to roadblocks

images (resized).jpegimages (resized).jpeg

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from snyper2099:

some states are run butter than others.

I bet that's Wisconsin where Spooky resides.

#88 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I bet that's Wisconsin where Spooky resides.

We are known as the dairy state .

#89 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I sometimes eat your cheese.

#90 4 years ago

I've had 2 games for sale in southern Ontario for a few weeks now. Several inquiries but at this point, both remain unsold. Certainly the economic unrest is having an effect on resale pins. I believe it will get worse yet before it gets better...

#91 4 years ago

I have not seen any real deals, but if some come up I would go get them at someone's house. This virus does not scare me, but it is destroying the economy due to fear in people. We could see real deflation coming. We have an exponential increase in public debt coupled with a decreasing population increase rate. Add in a flat yield curve along with corporate debt exploding against a weakening GDP AND the velocity of money slowing way down and you will soon find banks not wanting to loan money since the debt will be non productive in nature.
    In short - we have screwed ourselves by buying into the fear and will pay for it dearly.

I can for sure agree people have bought into the fear and the media (all channels) have gone nuts. My favorite new thing is we talked to a covid-19 survivor who never was admitted to hospital! LOL. seriously? Well, I am a flu survivor. Come on people. I look at numbers and facts and the numbers still are not at levels that have me concerned for my safety. I am being smart and staying home, but this virus is small potatoes. Less than .05% of US population have it with less than 3000 deaths. It will have to run its course and lots of us will probably end up getting it but NOT a death sentence like the media is preaching.

#92 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

people have bought into the fear

Is people losing jobs and businesses for who knows how long and putting their money into more essential things than pinball really "buying into fear" ?

Quoted from woody76:

NOT a death sentence like the media is preaching.

Without doing anything, it would be a death sentence for all the healthcare workers treating those afflicted. It's still not looking that great for them.

#93 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I look at numbers and facts and the numbers still are not at levels that have me concerned for my safety.

You should be. Without countermeasures the virus shows exponential growth, that means things can get very messy within 1-2 weeks.

I live in the Netherlands which has one of the world's best healthcare systems. If you think that even the most developed, western countries have enough hospital bed capacity then you're wrong. The Netherlands has more hospital beds per capita than the US, but over here we're getting close to the point where elderly patients won't even be transported to the hospital anymore when they contract the virus, because there are not enough beds. They will be left to die.

Don't you have anyone in your family or perhaps friends with some other kind of ailment? They will have to wait too when the hospitals are full. Over here we're even postponing cancer treatments, Covid-19 eats up capacity from every other healthcare sector as well so if you need any kind of medical care you will be affected.

Get out of denial, please.

(some more context which shows the exponential growth: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ )

#94 4 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I can for sure agree people have bought into the fear and the media (all channels) have gone nuts. My favorite new thing is we talked to a covid-19 survivor who never was admitted to hospital! LOL. seriously? Well, I am a flu survivor. Come on people. I look at numbers and facts and the numbers still are not at levels that have me concerned for my safety. I am being smart and staying home, but this virus is small potatoes. Less than .05% of US population have it with less than 3000 deaths. It will have to run its course and lots of us will probably end up getting it but NOT a death sentence like the media is preaching.

Tell that to those who have died... Don't say things like "I look at numbers and facts" without actually looking at them first... 3000 deaths? That's laughable, we'll be up to that by the end of today... Come on...

Jeff

#95 4 years ago

Man, all these Covid-related threads make it easy to see whom to put on ignore.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from DBLM:

I agree, none of this stuff that we all love is essential right now yet the Coinopwarehouse is out there every day pulling in stuff from homes & operators from multiple states. I don’t think a trailer full of pinball machines will pass the essential test if he gets pulled over!

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Do you wake up every morning and take in a deep whiff of your dairy air ?

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

This topic is closed.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ale-prices-all-over-the-place-and-the-new-normal/page/2?hl=ballytim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.