• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9765D6A9-8042-419F-8EF9-947813F1F672 (resized).jpeg
league (resized).jpg
coindroppers (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider albanytim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

Updated topic:
Sunday, September 10th will be the start of our Fall Sunday Pinball League. The Excelsior Pub is expecting the delivery of a second pinball machine before the end of August. That means twice the thrills! Word is that it will be The Addams Family. We'll have a couple of weeks to get it up to our standards before the league starts.

Start Date: September 10, 2017
Finals Date: December 10, 2017

Entry fee is $5. League season is comprised of 14 meets with the last being a double elimination finals tournament. Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

It will be the same rules as it was in the spring league. Dated preplays are allowed. Players will compete in 4 games (2 on each machine) each match. Free State Pinball Association rules (with noted modifications). IFPA sanctioning pending.

Register by calling Tim at 518-281-6450, PMing me here at Pinside, or register in person at the Excelsior Pub. All skill levels welcome!

Excelsior Pub
54 Philip St, Albany, NY 12207
The Addams Family
Road Show

https://www.facebook.com/events/478540172479192

Original thread post:

Calling it a league may be overstating it, but once we get people together we can see what it turns into. We have to start somewhere! I'm expecting it to evolve into a roaming league that visits both public and private locations. For our first iteration, we're doing a 5 week stretch playing Road Show at the Excelsior Pub.

Start Date: April 23, 2017
End Date: May 21, 2017

Entry fee is $5. League season is comprised of 4 meets and a double elimination finals tournament. Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

Free State Pinball Association rules.
International Flipper Pinball Association sanctioned.

Register by calling Tim at 518-281-6450 or register in person at the Excelsior Pub. Registration is open until the start of the league. All skill levels welcome!

Excelsior Pub

League Times, 5pm-7pm
April 23
April 30
May 7
May 14
May 21 – Finals Tournament

Pinball Machine
Road Show (Williams, 1994)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1375503419181956/

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

My awesome 90's style flyer for an awesome 90's game. Looks like we have 10 people signed up.

coindroppers (resized).jpgcoindroppers (resized).jpg

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from hipsmart:

I'm reading the FSPA league rules now. I get the scoring and the grouping, but I have a question: it looks as though at each meet, each group plays a "match" consisting of four games. Will that be the case, with only one machine to play?
I would be certain to miss one of the weeks due to business travel (probably first or second week). I see there is a pre-play provision. I hope that wouldn't be too troublesome for you.

Many people who have signed up are amateurs, so the matches should go pretty quickly. If the format takes too long, we may have to scale back the 4 games to something more timely. The idea will be that we will cycle through the groups on a night so all groups play their first game, then all play their second, etc. That will prevent anyone from waiting around too long. It's just something we have to do when we only have one machine.

We included preplay for that very reason. Just get your scores verified by another league player or the bartender. If it ends up being the second week you miss, just do your preplays right after the fist week playing is over.

Road Show is in good playing condition. At this time there is one eddy board that is not registering, but we anticipate that getting fixed.

This is all very new. We're just starting out and hoping that it evolves into something good. Hope to see you there!

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Did you sign up to use the PAPA league scoring website?

I'll check that out today. Thanks for the well wishes. It looks like we have 14 signed up, 6 of which are Pinsiders.

#9 7 years ago

League is now full! We'll wait-list anyone else who is interested in case someone drops out midseason.

#12 7 years ago

How many people did you end up getting?

18 people signed up. 14 confirmed. I figure when we start we'll have 16. Half are Pinsiders and the other half are regular patrons at the bar. I'm a little nervous about time it will take to play our matches, but I figure between drop-outs, no-shows and pre-plays, everything will work out fine.

I'm already working on arranging a tournament with more games.

Quoted from pinaholic:

I'll reach out to you to find out if there are any places to play besides McGeary's

I keep the pinside map of Albany pretty much up to date. Unfortunately, The Addams Family at McGeary's is starting to have issues. I offered to repair it for them in exchange for beer, but they turned me down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

have you considered Boulevard Bowl?

I've never been their either.

Quoted from zacaj:

Maybe the promise of any actual activity would convince them to maintain them more

When I started talking about a league starting at Excelsior, the game got fixed pretty fast.

I think I've convinced the owner of Lionheart (on Madison in Albany) to get in Theatre of Magic and Elvira and the Party Monsters from his distributor.

2 weeks later
#18 6 years ago

Since last week we got lots fixed.
The main flippers have been rebuilt.
The Bob's Bunker lock has been fixed.
The tilt is now more forgiving
The left outlane is low set in the middle.

1 month later
#21 6 years ago

I had a chat with Jay who runs Excelsior Pub and we set up a framework for going forward with the league. We're going to hold monthly tournaments over the summer given that everyone has plans and it's tough to get together. In September, we'll start back up with the weekly league. By then we will have a second machine and we'll have it fixed up to meet our playing standards.

The first tournament will be on Sunday, June 25 at 5pm. It's a double elimination tournament limited to the first 16 registrants. $5 registration. IFPA sanctioned. I anticipate only having Road Show available.
https://www.facebook.com/events/439631346406194/

I'd like to try something different for July. I was thinking of a "Herb" style qualifier in order to get more people involved. More details to follow.

I checked around for other public venues and there really isn't anywhere which is conducive to a tournament. I talked to Schmaltz Brewery where they have a Star Trek pinball and they showed initial interest, but didn't really answer my questions (like do they have the cabinet key). I'd like to get in touch with Desperate Annie, but league members seemed to think that was too far of a drive (I sort of agree). Most places the pins just don't work well enough to be fun. I offered my repair services in exchange for beer and parts to McGeary's (Addams Family) and Susies (Monopoly) and neither were really interested. If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

#24 6 years ago

Are the machines owned by an operator, or are they owned by the venue?

They are owned by an operator. It took a while to convince the operator to allow me the key to access the machine at Excelsior. Once he heard I wanted to start a league, he turned it over. I put about $70 in parts into it (all of which was reimbursed) and a little bit of elbow grease. With that, I have both the operator and venue on board. We're pretty fortunate to have found a venue as receptive as Excelsior. Over the years I've tried to get other places on board and he was the first to see potential in pinball to drive business.

Weird thing is the owner of the venue used to run the dart leagues at another local bar that had 11 boards that were filled 3 nights a week. He was hoping to get some of those people to join dart leagues at his new place, but it never materialized. As soon as he put in the pinball machine, a pinball following started.

Our small league easily brings in $80 in coins a month, as well as filling the bar at a time it would be otherwise empty.

I'm just excited with the promise of another machine. No where in the area has more than one.

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Is the operator the owner of any of the other machines on location in the area? If so, we've got to be bringing him in more money than some of the other locations in town...

Not sure about other locations. I think the operator is from Johnstown, NY.

Quoted from drsfmd:

does he have another machine to bring in?

Yes. He's supposed to get a list to Jay who is going to pass it to me. The operator has an Addams Family he wants to put in. Unless there is something else really interesting on the list, we're probably going to see that one.

What is he / she charging per game?

50 cents per game. 5 for $2.

#32 6 years ago

I wonder if he'd be inclined to add more games if the drop went up to $1/game?

I think he was surprised that it's done so well there. I'ts set to allow up to 4 extra ball buy-ins for a quarter each. There are a lot of buy-ins from the regular bar customers.

2 months later
#34 6 years ago

Sunday, September 10th will be the start of our Fall Sunday Pinball League. The Excelsior Pub is expecting the delivery of a second pinball machine before the end of August. That means twice the thrills! Word is that it will be The Addams Family. We'll have a couple of weeks to get it up to our standards before the league starts.

Start Date: September 10, 2017
Finals Date: December 10, 2017

Entry fee is $5. League season is comprised of 14 meets with the last being a double elimination finals tournament. Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

It will be the same rules as it was in the spring league. Dated preplays are allowed. Players will compete in 4 games (2 on each machine) each match. Free State Pinball Association rules (with noted modifications). IFPA sanctioning pending.

Register by calling Tim at 518-281-6450, PMing me here at Pinside, or register in person at the Excelsior Pub. All skill levels welcome!

Excelsior Pub

#addams-family
Road Show

1 month later
#35 6 years ago

I'm pleased to announce that our second pin arrived yesterday. Demolition Man

league (resized).jpgleague (resized).jpg

6 months later
#42 6 years ago

Our spring league will be starting at Excelsior Pub. This season's lineup is Twilight Zone and Demolition Man . League starts Sunday, April 15 at 5pm and continues for 8 weeks. Contact me with any questions. -Tim

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richmond, VA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider albanytim.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/albany-ny-league-starting?tu=albanytim and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.