• Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

9765D6A9-8042-419F-8EF9-947813F1F672 (resized).jpeg
league (resized).jpg
coindroppers (resized).jpg
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 7 years ago

Updated topic:
Sunday, September 10th will be the start of our Fall Sunday Pinball League. The Excelsior Pub is expecting the delivery of a second pinball machine before the end of August. That means twice the thrills! Word is that it will be The Addams Family. We'll have a couple of weeks to get it up to our standards before the league starts.

Start Date: September 10, 2017
Finals Date: December 10, 2017

Entry fee is $5. League season is comprised of 14 meets with the last being a double elimination finals tournament. Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

It will be the same rules as it was in the spring league. Dated preplays are allowed. Players will compete in 4 games (2 on each machine) each match. Free State Pinball Association rules (with noted modifications). IFPA sanctioning pending.

Register by calling Tim at 518-281-6450, PMing me here at Pinside, or register in person at the Excelsior Pub. All skill levels welcome!

Excelsior Pub
54 Philip St, Albany, NY 12207
The Addams Family
Road Show

https://www.facebook.com/events/478540172479192

Original thread post:

Calling it a league may be overstating it, but once we get people together we can see what it turns into. We have to start somewhere! I'm expecting it to evolve into a roaming league that visits both public and private locations. For our first iteration, we're doing a 5 week stretch playing Road Show at the Excelsior Pub.

Start Date: April 23, 2017
End Date: May 21, 2017

Entry fee is $5. League season is comprised of 4 meets and a double elimination finals tournament. Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

Free State Pinball Association rules.
International Flipper Pinball Association sanctioned.

Register by calling Tim at 518-281-6450 or register in person at the Excelsior Pub. Registration is open until the start of the league. All skill levels welcome!

Excelsior Pub

League Times, 5pm-7pm
April 23
April 30
May 7
May 14
May 21 – Finals Tournament

Pinball Machine
Road Show (Williams, 1994)

https://www.facebook.com/events/1375503419181956/

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

My awesome 90's style flyer for an awesome 90's game. Looks like we have 10 people signed up.

coindroppers (resized).jpgcoindroppers (resized).jpg

#3 7 years ago

Cool! I think I would be interested in joining. It's a little bit of a drive, but I'm already doing that to play pinball anyway.

I'm reading the FSPA league rules now. I get the scoring and the grouping, but I have a question: it looks as though at each meet, each group plays a "match" consisting of four games. Will that be the case, with only one machine to play?

I would be certain to miss one of the weeks due to business travel (probably first or second week). I see there is a pre-play provision. I hope that wouldn't be too troublesome for you.

#4 7 years ago
Quoted from hipsmart:

I'm reading the FSPA league rules now. I get the scoring and the grouping, but I have a question: it looks as though at each meet, each group plays a "match" consisting of four games. Will that be the case, with only one machine to play?
I would be certain to miss one of the weeks due to business travel (probably first or second week). I see there is a pre-play provision. I hope that wouldn't be too troublesome for you.

Many people who have signed up are amateurs, so the matches should go pretty quickly. If the format takes too long, we may have to scale back the 4 games to something more timely. The idea will be that we will cycle through the groups on a night so all groups play their first game, then all play their second, etc. That will prevent anyone from waiting around too long. It's just something we have to do when we only have one machine.

We included preplay for that very reason. Just get your scores verified by another league player or the bartender. If it ends up being the second week you miss, just do your preplays right after the fist week playing is over.

Road Show is in good playing condition. At this time there is one eddy board that is not registering, but we anticipate that getting fixed.

This is all very new. We're just starting out and hoping that it evolves into something good. Hope to see you there!

#5 7 years ago

AlbanyTim - thanks for bringing this to my attention. I'll be there!

#6 7 years ago

Free bump!

Good luck on your first season.

Quoted from AlbanyTim:

We're just starting out and hoping that it evolves into something good.

I'm getting ready to start our 6th season, so if there is anything I can do to help you out with the logistics, let me know. Did you sign up to use the PAPA league scoring website?

#7 7 years ago
Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

Did you sign up to use the PAPA league scoring website?

I'll check that out today. Thanks for the well wishes. It looks like we have 14 signed up, 6 of which are Pinsiders.

#8 7 years ago

I think you have to email them to have the account created. It takes a little to learn the software, but in the end, it's well worth the time. It will make your life much easier and players love the stats.

The bar we play at allows us to hook a laptop up to one of the TVs. We input the scores as the matches finish and then everyone can see the score sheet in real time. Then at the end of the night, the software processes the scores and displays the results.

If your bar will allow you to do that, I would suggest it. If not, you'll have a crowd of people around the scoring table.

http://papa.org/learning-center/directors-guide/?target=start-a-league

If you want to see what it looks like, here is a link to ours.

http://rivercity.league.papa.org

#9 7 years ago

League is now full! We'll wait-list anyone else who is interested in case someone drops out midseason.

#10 7 years ago

Good luck Tim. Good job spreading pinball's resurgence. If I'm ever in the area, I'll reach out to you to find out if there are any places to play besides McGeary's. Not fitting them just hope to find more pinball. I wonder what happened to Jillian's games.

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from AlbanyTim:

League is now full! We'll wait-list anyone else who is interested in case someone drops out midseason.

That's effin' awesome. Congratulations. Sounds like you need to grab the operator of the Road Show and tell him to buy more machines. How many people did you end up getting?

I've been beating on our operator for an Aerosmith, but he's leaning towards either Mideval Madness or Attack from Mars. Either way, I'm not going to complain.

We've been very fortunate having an operator that enjoys pinball and doesn't mind me texting him all the time asking for a switch to be fixed or meeting me at the bar for a code update. Last year he picked up a GoT and a Ghostbusters. I think I'm spoiled.

#12 7 years ago

How many people did you end up getting?

18 people signed up. 14 confirmed. I figure when we start we'll have 16. Half are Pinsiders and the other half are regular patrons at the bar. I'm a little nervous about time it will take to play our matches, but I figure between drop-outs, no-shows and pre-plays, everything will work out fine.

I'm already working on arranging a tournament with more games.

Quoted from pinaholic:

I'll reach out to you to find out if there are any places to play besides McGeary's

I keep the pinside map of Albany pretty much up to date. Unfortunately, The Addams Family at McGeary's is starting to have issues. I offered to repair it for them in exchange for beer, but they turned me down. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#13 7 years ago

AlbanyTim - have you considered Boulevard Bowl? It's a little far, but as near as I can tell they are the only place with more than one pin on location. According to the Pinmap, they have Dr. Dude, Lethal Weapon 3, and World Cup Soccer. They also have a Strikes and Spares, that obviously wouldn't work for competition purposes, but could be a nice diversion between games.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

albanytim - have you considered Boulevard Bowl? It's a little far, but as near as I can tell they are the only place with more than one pin on location. According to the Pinmap, they have Dr. Dude, Lethal Weapon 3, and World Cup Soccer. They also have a Strikes and Spares, that obviously wouldn't work for competition purposes, but could be a nice diversion between games.

I've never been there when one game wasn't off and there was more than one working flipper between the other two.

#15 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I've never been there when one game wasn't off and there was more than one working flipper between the other two.

LOL. Ok... I've never been there before. I guess that wasn't such a good idea!

#16 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

LOL. Ok... I've never been there before. I guess that wasn't such a good idea!

Who knows, that was at least a year or two ago on my end, but they were like that between 2010 and 2016 whenever I went in there. Maybe the promise of any actual activity would convince them to maintain them more

#17 7 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

have you considered Boulevard Bowl?

I've never been their either.

Quoted from zacaj:

Maybe the promise of any actual activity would convince them to maintain them more

When I started talking about a league starting at Excelsior, the game got fixed pretty fast.

I think I've convinced the owner of Lionheart (on Madison in Albany) to get in Theatre of Magic and Elvira and the Party Monsters from his distributor.

2 weeks later
#18 6 years ago

Since last week we got lots fixed.
The main flippers have been rebuilt.
The Bob's Bunker lock has been fixed.
The tilt is now more forgiving
The left outlane is low set in the middle.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from AlbanyTim:

Since last week we got lots fixed.
The main flippers have been rebuilt.
The Bob's Bunker lock has been fixed.
The tilt is now more forgiving
The left outlane is low set in the middle.

This is great news. Of course, it also means I'm going to have to go there beforehand to get a game or two in

3 weeks later
#20 6 years ago

Just a heads up for the local guys, Ghostbusters Pro will be coming to Desperate Annie's in downtown Saratoga Springs in about 2 weeks.

12 Caroline St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

#21 6 years ago

I had a chat with Jay who runs Excelsior Pub and we set up a framework for going forward with the league. We're going to hold monthly tournaments over the summer given that everyone has plans and it's tough to get together. In September, we'll start back up with the weekly league. By then we will have a second machine and we'll have it fixed up to meet our playing standards.

The first tournament will be on Sunday, June 25 at 5pm. It's a double elimination tournament limited to the first 16 registrants. $5 registration. IFPA sanctioned. I anticipate only having Road Show available.
https://www.facebook.com/events/439631346406194/

I'd like to try something different for July. I was thinking of a "Herb" style qualifier in order to get more people involved. More details to follow.

I checked around for other public venues and there really isn't anywhere which is conducive to a tournament. I talked to Schmaltz Brewery where they have a Star Trek pinball and they showed initial interest, but didn't really answer my questions (like do they have the cabinet key). I'd like to get in touch with Desperate Annie, but league members seemed to think that was too far of a drive (I sort of agree). Most places the pins just don't work well enough to be fun. I offered my repair services in exchange for beer and parts to McGeary's (Addams Family) and Susies (Monopoly) and neither were really interested. If anyone has ideas, I'm all ears.

#22 6 years ago

Are the machines owned by an operator, or are they owned by the venue? I ended up setting up a meeting between myself, the other guy that assists with running the league, the operator and the venue manager. We discussed estimated attendance and the value of the venue allocating additional space for more machines.

If you're running something like we run, 4 seasons a year and monthly tournaments, you should be able to get an operator on board. If not, there is definitely value to a venue that wants guaranteed food / beer sales every week. Our league brings in a good bit of money for both the venue and the operator.

Hell, I think my bar bill is enough to pay the electric bill every month.

#23 6 years ago

Oh, and check out http://matchplay.events if you're shopping for software. You can run a trial and then purchase if you like it. We pay for it with the kitty from leagues and tournaments.

#24 6 years ago

Are the machines owned by an operator, or are they owned by the venue?

They are owned by an operator. It took a while to convince the operator to allow me the key to access the machine at Excelsior. Once he heard I wanted to start a league, he turned it over. I put about $70 in parts into it (all of which was reimbursed) and a little bit of elbow grease. With that, I have both the operator and venue on board. We're pretty fortunate to have found a venue as receptive as Excelsior. Over the years I've tried to get other places on board and he was the first to see potential in pinball to drive business.

Weird thing is the owner of the venue used to run the dart leagues at another local bar that had 11 boards that were filled 3 nights a week. He was hoping to get some of those people to join dart leagues at his new place, but it never materialized. As soon as he put in the pinball machine, a pinball following started.

Our small league easily brings in $80 in coins a month, as well as filling the bar at a time it would be otherwise empty.

I'm just excited with the promise of another machine. No where in the area has more than one.

#25 6 years ago

AlbanyTim

Obviously add me to the "yes" list if you haven't done so already.

Is the operator the owner of any of the other machines on location in the area? If so, we've got to be bringing him in more money than some of the other locations in town... does he have another machine to bring in?

#26 6 years ago

I think if you have 16 people, you should try and convince him to throw in a few more machines. We have 4 machines and 16 people and it works out great. There isn't a lot of standing around and waiting, unless a group is having a really good game.

If you guys are like we are, you'll have people staying late and coming in on other days to practice. That should take care of the dilution caused by adding more games for leagues. I suspect he might be hesitant because he's going to be making the same coin drop with two games as he is with 1. But with more games, people are more likely to stay after leagues and come in just to play.

What is he / she charging per game?

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

Is the operator the owner of any of the other machines on location in the area? If so, we've got to be bringing him in more money than some of the other locations in town...

Not sure about other locations. I think the operator is from Johnstown, NY.

Quoted from drsfmd:

does he have another machine to bring in?

Yes. He's supposed to get a list to Jay who is going to pass it to me. The operator has an Addams Family he wants to put in. Unless there is something else really interesting on the list, we're probably going to see that one.

What is he / she charging per game?

50 cents per game. 5 for $2.

#28 6 years ago

I wonder if he'd be inclined to add more games if the drop went up to $1/game? Our drop is $1/game, which I have no issues paying, since he is constantly buying new games (GoT, Star Trek, GB, etc).

#29 6 years ago
Quoted from AlbanyTim:

'd like to get in touch with Desperate Annie, but league members seemed to think that was too far of a drive (I sort of agree)

I kinda figured, BTW I'm the operator of the machine that is going to be at Desperate Annie's, in case y'all changed your mind

#30 6 years ago

Is the arcade still there in the Crossgates Mall? I used to play there back in the 80s.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from PersonX99:

Is the arcade still there in the Crossgates Mall? I used to play there back in the 80s.

Left a few years ago. Hadn't had pinball machines for years before that.

#32 6 years ago

I wonder if he'd be inclined to add more games if the drop went up to $1/game?

I think he was surprised that it's done so well there. I'ts set to allow up to 4 extra ball buy-ins for a quarter each. There are a lot of buy-ins from the regular bar customers.

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Left a few years ago. Hadn't had pinball machines for years before that.

Actually, they had a #transformers-(le) machine there for the last couple of years they were in business. I played it a few times, but it was out-of-order as much as it was working. Don't know what happened to it when the arcade closed.

Quoted from AlbanyTim:

I think he was surprised that it's done so well there.

Not just the pinball-- think about our bar tab, at a time when the place would otherwise probably be empty. He runs a great place-- nice selection of beers at reasonable prices, very friendly staff, a decent menu... and I probably never would have set foot in the place if it wasn't for pinball!

2 months later
#34 6 years ago

Sunday, September 10th will be the start of our Fall Sunday Pinball League. The Excelsior Pub is expecting the delivery of a second pinball machine before the end of August. That means twice the thrills! Word is that it will be The Addams Family. We'll have a couple of weeks to get it up to our standards before the league starts.

Start Date: September 10, 2017
Finals Date: December 10, 2017

Entry fee is $5. League season is comprised of 14 meets with the last being a double elimination finals tournament. Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

It will be the same rules as it was in the spring league. Dated preplays are allowed. Players will compete in 4 games (2 on each machine) each match. Free State Pinball Association rules (with noted modifications). IFPA sanctioning pending.

Register by calling Tim at 518-281-6450, PMing me here at Pinside, or register in person at the Excelsior Pub. All skill levels welcome!

Excelsior Pub

#addams-family
Road Show

1 month later
#35 6 years ago

I'm pleased to announce that our second pin arrived yesterday. Demolition Man

league (resized).jpgleague (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#36 6 years ago

I'd love to join in a league, this Albany one sounds like the closest thing since I'm in Toga. How do I even start?

#37 6 years ago

If I still lived in Guilderland I would be there. Looks like a fun time!

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

I'd love to join in a league, this Albany one sounds like the closest thing since I'm in Toga. How do I even start?

You just come on down and join us! It's $5 for the whole season. The Excelsior has great beer and pub foods, and the league is a great bunch of folks.

I won't be there this Sunday, but I'll be there for all of the other weeks for the rest of the league.

1 month later
#39 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Just a heads up for the local guys, Ghostbusters Pro will be coming to Desperate Annie's in downtown Saratoga Springs in about 2 weeks.
12 Caroline St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

Sorry for the hijack, I won't post anymore in this thread, but there's more pinball in Downtown Saratoga Springs!

Star Wars Pro now @ Desperate Annie's: 12 Caroline St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866

The Walking Dead Pro & Ghostbusters Pro @ Saratoga City Tavern (2nd Floor): 19-21 Caroline St, Saratoga Springs

Ghosbusters Pro @ King's Tavern: 241 Union Ave, Saratoga Springs

If you stop by tell 'em Pinside sent ya

More coming soon!

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Sorry for the hijack, I won't post anymore in this thread, but there's more pinball in Downtown Saratoga Springs!
Star Wars Pro now @ Desperate Annie's: 12 Caroline St, Saratoga Springs, NY 12866
The Walking Dead Pro & Ghostbusters Pro @ Saratoga City Tavern (2nd Floor): 19-21 Caroline St, Saratoga Springs
Ghosbusters Pro @ King's Tavern: 241 Union Ave, Saratoga Springs
If you stop by tell 'em Pinside sent ya
More coming soon!

Holy crap you've been busy!!! Would love to see something other than GB :b there's so many on route everywhere it seems.

#41 6 years ago

Would love to see something other than GB :b there's so many on route everywhere it seems.

Working on it!

4 months later
#42 6 years ago

Our spring league will be starting at Excelsior Pub. This season's lineup is Twilight Zone and Demolition Man . League starts Sunday, April 15 at 5pm and continues for 8 weeks. Contact me with any questions. -Tim

#43 6 years ago

I’m looking forward to it! ForceFlow , Isochronic_Frost , herbertbsharp - I’m calling you out! The players from south of the Mohawk are *way* better than you chumps from the hinterlands of the north!

(Seriously, it’s a lot of fun, and you should definitely join us... good folks, good food, good beer)

#44 6 years ago

I know--I've been meaning to join you guys down there at some point to get in on the fun. I don't always have Sundays free to be able to commit to a weekly league night.

Glad to see a TZ on location

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I don't always have Sundays free to be able to commit to a weekly league night.

I'm sure they have preplays. No excuses!

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from pinaholic:

Good luck Tim. Good job spreading pinball's resurgence. If I'm ever in the area, I'll reach out to you to find out if there are any places to play besides McGeary's. Not fitting them just hope to find more pinball. I wonder what happened to Jillian's games.

Whoever took ownership of Jillian's posted the games to craigslist a few years ago and sold them all off. I don't remember there being any pins there towards the end but I could be wrong. Wolfs 1-11 also closed up their game room in August 2017.

Looking forward to the 15th

#47 6 years ago

There was a CP, a SP and I think a third if I remembered correctly

5 months later
#48 5 years ago

What's that status of this, is there a fall/winter league planned?

#49 5 years ago

What's that status of this, is there a fall/winter league planned?

“It is happening again!”

Sunday October 7th! 5pm

the excelsior pub

9765D6A9-8042-419F-8EF9-947813F1F672 (resized).jpeg9765D6A9-8042-419F-8EF9-947813F1F672 (resized).jpeg
#50 5 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/events/475518176259477/

Sunday October 7 will mark the beginning of our next Sunday Pinball League. We meet every Sunday from 5-7:30 for laughs, drinks and pinball!

We're working on replacing Demolition Man a new (new-to-us) pinball machine. The mystery machine is expected to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Twilight Zone be the other game.

Entry fee is $5 (one time). League season is comprised of 10 meets with the last being a double elimination finals tournament (December 9th). Players must pay coin-drop. All entry fees go towards prizes.

It will be the same rules as we've used in the past. Dated pre-plays are allowed. Players will compete in 4 games (2 on each machine) each match. IFPA sanctioned. Full ruleset is available on request.

Register by RSVPing via facebook, or in person at the Excelsior Pub. All skill levels welcome!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 180.00
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 51 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/albany-ny-league-starting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.