Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 80 days ago by QuietEarp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSC06853 (resized).JPG
DAF4EB24-3F5B-4E07-80BB-149D98642EFE (resized).jpeg
PF insert- disc instructions (resized).jpg

#1 83 days ago

It seems to be an issue with a lot of ACs and it’s gotten ridiculous on mine. I have a very solid machine that I have cleaned up and enjoy playing since finding it last fall but the cupping of the plastic inserts is at the point of the ball actually stopping 10% of the time as it enters the A B C and D rollover lanes at the top. The inserts at the bottom are bad enough that a slow rolling ball will change direction radically.

My question is, are there any methods to level off these inserts without using the car clear coat stuff that runs everyone out of the house? I just don’t have a place to do this outside. Thanks. Danny

#2 83 days ago

You can remove them and replace; you can remove them and (sometimes, if the cupping isn't too bad) sand them flat and reinstall
You can drip clear into them (not necessarily the stinky stuff) and sand level carefully.

If you do any of the removals you have to repaint in the key lines on them, it's more for a full clear than anything. I've tried heating these up with a heat gun and pressing a dowel in the center to level and it just didn't work - it melted.

#3 83 days ago

In the past I have come across EM titles with cupped inserts and PF is mylared. The solution was to design and install a layered series of clear vinyl discs which adhere to the insert to build up the cupping and preventing the ball parking on the insert. Heres how they work.

PF insert- disc instructions (resized).jpg
#4 83 days ago

Thanks guys. I appreciate learning as much as I can about this before I make a decision on this.

#5 82 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

You can remove them and replace; you can remove them and (sometimes, if the cupping isn't too bad) sand them flat and reinstall
You can drip clear into them (not necessarily the stinky stuff) and sand level carefully.
If you do any of the removals you have to repaint in the key lines on them, it's more for a full clear than anything. I've tried heating these up with a heat gun and pressing a dowel in the center to level and it just didn't work - it melted.

I’m wondering if eyedropping a little Marine Spar Varnish would do the trick, along with a little careful sanding. That stuff dries pretty hard and is something I have in my work truck.

#6 82 days ago
Quoted from oldpins:

In the past I have come across EM titles with cupped inserts and PF is mylared. The solution was to design and install a layered series of clear vinyl discs which adhere to the insert to build up the cupping and preventing the ball parking on the insert. Heres how they work.[quoted image]

Where might I find something like that, or is it something I would have to make? I went to the website on the picture and didn’t see anything.

#7 82 days ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

I’m wondering if eyedropping a little Marine Spar Varnish would do the trick, along with a little careful sanding. That stuff dries pretty hard and is something I have in my work truck.

If it's water based. The oil based stuff wouldn't be great for PF's IIRC.

#8 82 days ago

There is no doubt that the balls must be cupped gently or damage may occur *snicker*

#9 82 days ago

Try a playing field protector, it will take care of cupped inserts.

#10 82 days ago
Quoted from wdennie:

If you intend to do a restore, here are tips / tricks:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration/page/17#post-1717646

#11 82 days ago
Quoted from wdennie:

What he said. I bought a huge sheet of that plastic, enough to make 3 protectors, for about $40. Take off the bumper caps and flippers, make your paper pattern, transfer it to the plastic and cut it out. I made one for Night Rider. I actually cleared my Alladins Castle a couple years ago, that games a keeper.

#12 82 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

If it's water based. The oil based stuff wouldn't be great for PF's IIRC.

I’ve got a can of this stuff, which is water based and durable.

DAF4EB24-3F5B-4E07-80BB-149D98642EFE (resized).jpeg
#13 82 days ago
Quoted from wdennie:

Thanks. Eventually I’d love to do that.

#14 82 days ago

Thanks for the link. Lots of good stuff on there.

#15 82 days ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

What he said. I bought a huge sheet of that plastic, enough to make 3 protectors, for about $40. Take off the bumper caps and flippers, make your paper pattern, transfer it to the plastic and cut it out. I made one for Night Rider. I actually cleared my Alladins Castle a couple years ago, that games a keeper.

Yes. I’ve seen pictures of your AC playfield that were posted here and it’s beautiful.

#16 80 days ago

Your best solution was suggested in the first response (post #2). Replace them all. Took me less than 2 hours on my AC and they look great. There are 21 round inserts -- sizes 5/8" thru 1" diameter -- all available from Marco and/or PBR.DSC06853 (resized).JPG

#17 80 days ago

If the inserts had any printing on them I would go for the Mylar disc route, but it looks like they do not. I would replace them or pop them out and sand them flat for playability.

On older players condition machines I am looking for a nice flat playfield and I am always able to reuse the inserts after sanding them flat.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 7,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 189.99
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
Pinball Machine
Monster Bash Remake Out of stock
Flip N Out Pinball
$ 159.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp
$ 16.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct
€ 197.00
Displays
PINBALLSP
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 8,500.00
Pinball Machine
PinballSTAR Amusements
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Lighting - Backbox
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 7,999.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside