• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by RebootMac
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

Hey all.
So after almost 6 months of banging away Al's garage band lives! Game starts and plays if you let the auto launcher timeout and launch. However if you press the button the coil does a sort of half powered fire, and the game restarts. Thought of maybe some gremlins in the diodes, maybe running voltage back to the tilt but switch test produced no laggy or weird strobes. Its odd because sometimes the game will do it in the middle of a game as well, once in mulit-ball. A soft sort of reset and start. Rebuilt the Power supply and reflowed and rebuilt several connectors as well. Anyone encounter anything like this before?

#2 3 years ago

One possible cause of CPU resets could be a low +5vdc. That's generated on the power supply board. Luckily the power supply voltage can be adjusted. Here's something to try to slightly increase the voltage to see if that helps or not with the resets.

With the game on, CPU board measure the HP1 connector with voltmeter set to measure volts dc. Red probe on pin 1, black probe on pin 4. Probably the probes can't touch the connector with it plugged in, so might have to get creative and look for something connected downstream of the actual connector on the CPU board. C25 & C42 are connected downstream according to schematic. Should measure about 5volts dc here. Record that original measured voltage.

Now with the game off, find a small phillips screwdriver and rotate VR2 on the power supply. Repeat the above test and verify that 5vdc measurement is slightly higher. If VR2 was turned the wrong way, it would decrease the voltage so need to verify that voltage increased. If it decreased, turn the other way and repeat the test above till the voltage is slightly higher than it was originally, say +0.5 volts.

Run the game and see if resets have decreased or stopped happening.

#3 3 years ago

Mmm. I see what you mean. I'll try dialing up the +5 a half volt or so and see if it holds. What little I've banged out of it is really fun though. Hoping to update this weekend.

#4 3 years ago

Would ya look at that! Game is up and running all the way through. Thanks for the help. Now all I need is a speaker panel and some new leaf switches for the bumpers. (someone replaced them with these odd ball EOS looking ones with no third leg for a diode. This bad boy has been a pill for sure. But the action is pretty good and I love the sub woofer and feedback on the flippers. Wish they had a color DMD for this bad boy.
Thanks for the help.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from RebootMac:

Hey all.
So after almost 6 months of banging away Al's garage band lives! Game starts and plays if you let the auto launcher timeout and launch. However if you press the button the coil does a sort of half powered fire, and the game restarts. Thought of maybe some gremlins in the diodes, maybe running voltage back to the tilt but switch test produced no laggy or weird strobes. Its odd because sometimes the game will do it in the middle of a game as well, once in mulit-ball. A soft sort of reset and start. Rebuilt the Power supply and reflowed and rebuilt several connectors as well. Anyone encounter anything like this before?

I have exactly the same issue! I got sick of replacing components and am taking a break from it. The PS board has had a LOT of work done to it. I tried PSPA in Australia and he said he sold all the NOS PS's to a guy in Italy.

I will try above and see what happens. Here's hoping!

#6 3 years ago

I will say this. Alvin G knew how to efficiently arrange a board, however the thin protective back left the power supply often getting damaged. Check your input connector, and the output connectors on P11 and P3. Also check the 5v fuse, as the cheaper china Bulb fuses have actually cause minor 5v fluctuations on my sys3 games before here at the bar. Let the game warm up and see if the issue improves, mine never changed. If yours improves it could be a simple dry solder situation. I reflowed every connector on every board of my game, and will probably be adding a 12v back box venting fan and probably pulling the 110v dmd and swapping to a modern 5. All in an effort to pull the high voltage lines from the circut and hopefully extend the life of the game. Though it will be in a commercial location running for up to 14 hours a day at a time.

1 week later
#7 3 years ago

Hey Guys,
So an update and hopefully some can chime in with their opinion. After a few days I swapped in a better looking dale/vishay dmd that had less outgassing than the previous one. Well after a few games the cut off issue cropped back up. I hooked my meter up and the 5v input for the mpu and while the 5v was running at 5.13 it was oscillating from 5.18 to 4.98. Hence the reasons for the cutoff from low 5v. Is the drop from the PPU board? Would rebuilding the 5v section solve this? Or is the DMD pulling voltage in a strange way? Certain animations are defanitly causing oscillation. Is some voltage drop/boost common for most pins? (within reason) or should 5v hold steady?

#8 3 years ago

Just a post for others that encounter these issues on Alvin G. The thing that helped clear up my voltage oscillation issues that may help anyone else, is don't just replace and Reflow the solder on the back of the board. I ended up re-pinning most of the connectors on the board. Seems the actual line connectors hold up pretty well and are two sided, however burn and heat issues are rampant. I reflowed most of the 5v section after the bride rectifier and even jumped the 9v to the fuse holder section. Pay attention to the colors around the back area of the board and take care when pulling the pins as to not lift the pads. Just Ohm out the traces while the board is out as I've found the pad lift to be bad on these and I have a bench mounted vaccum pump. Still dealing with a bit of voltage drop on the 5v line, but its within a few hundreds of a volt so I think the game is fine with it. Alot of the playfield is well protected with fuses and solid relays, and the backbox is well laid out. Sad to see that heat wreaks so much havoc on these boards. I'm going to see how to maybe mount a 12v computer fan to move air across the heat sinks, that and I hope dropping to a low voltage DmD will really help pull the higher voltages off. Good luck out there.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Middleburg, FL
Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 16.99
Cabinet - Other
Maine Home Recreation
Other
$ 10.95
Apparel - Unisex
Pinball Wheezer
Unisex

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/al-s-garage-band and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.