• Latest reply 5 years ago by dmarston
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

backside (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

What is the function of the circled component on the backside of my 1969 Airport EM Pinball?

Thanks to all the experts, I am a newbie at restoring this classic machine.

backside (resized).jpgbackside (resized).jpg
#2 5 years ago

That's a tilt switch, positioned to detect a side bump to the cabinet.
.................David Marston

#3 5 years ago

AKA slam switch or slam tilt switch.

I never heard of Airport until I saw this post, looks like a cool machine! It would look nice sitting next to my Bon Voyage.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from dmarston:

That's a tilt switch, positioned to detect a side bump to the cabinet.

If you look around, you may find two more. One positioned to detect a bump from the front (maybe on the coin door), and another to detect a bump from above/below (maybe on the bottom panel) as if you lifted the front of the machine and dropped it. Since they can only really detect a bump in one direction, you need one for each of the three axes or directions (side to side, front to back, top to bottom).

/Mark

#5 5 years ago

Let's get more technical. Tilt switches are normally open. Slam switches, at least on Gottlieb EMs of this era, are normally closed. You will see them in different places on the schematic. Their effect on the game is different, especially for multi-player games like Airport, where a regular tilt only kills the current ball in play.
.................David Marston

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/airport-pinball-what-does-this-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.