Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by EMsInKC
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1709 (resized).jpg

#1 3 months ago

Newbie here. Light sockets are flakey on the Ball Count "1-2-3-4-5-Game Over"

There is a grounding strip for all lights and the sockets are flush mounted on the strip.

Assuming that I need to remove the strip and install with new sockets.

How do I wire the grounds?

Do I have individual wires from each socket back to ground, or do I chain the ground wire from one socket to the other.

Thanks

IMG_1709 (resized).jpg
#3 3 months ago

Those things are just no fun. The game I just restored has four of them. The ball count lights, the lights under the upper rollover guides, and one above and below the score reels. You can just simply count on them being flaky.

You can clean them but that will only take you so far. They have gotten loose in the frame and they lose ground. Rotate both the socket body and the solder tab around and eventually you'll find a spot where they will light.

I would submit that those things were not one of Gottlieb's better ideas. If you really want to tear your hair out, take a look at a game like Sure Shot that has the pool ball rack on the playfield and all 15 of the lights are in one of those plate assemblies. Of course, again, they didn't expect us to be trying to restore and play these games 50 years after the fact, so they weren't engineered for that.

#4 3 months ago

As a matter of course with each resto on the pf side of these light brackets I solder the bulb holder to the plate to give a permanent grounding. Requires a good temp soldering iron to get a nice solder flow to the plate.

#5 3 months ago

Thanks guys.

I ended up removing the ground bar and installed 6 1/2” sockets.

The bracket for mounting the socket was connected to the ground, so I just ran a wire across all the mounting screws and tied it back to the original ground wire.

Desoldered the power wires from original sockets and resoldered to the new sockets.

Worked like a champ.

#6 3 months ago
Quoted from classic-chevyguy:

Thanks guys.
I ended up removing the ground bar and installed 6 1/2” sockets.
The bracket for mounting the socket was connected to the ground, so I just ran a wire across all the mounting screws and tied it back to the original ground wire.
Desoldered the power wires from original sockets and resoldered to the new sockets.
Worked like a champ.

When they're really bad sometimes you have to do that.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 6.00
Electronics
German-Pinball-Modular
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 64.95
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 85.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 4.95
Apparel - Unisex
ULEKstore
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing
$ 90.00
Lighting - Led
Geeteoh Electronics
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Just 3D Mods
$ 12.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus
$ 150.00
Playfield - Protection
Republic Of Pinball
$ 29.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 12.00
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 42.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside