Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BAMcDonald
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Did a search for this and nothing came up so thought I'd post.

Thought this was a cool idea. Lights your playfield wall art up just like it would light up if it were still in your machine.

http://ledseq.com/product/airfield/

#2 9 years ago

This is crazy cool. Hope to land some cool playfields and hang em, this solves my problem of how to light em up.

#3 9 years ago

Looks like way too much work. Plus how long will the tape hold up? $219 for a light kit to hang your playfield on the wall? Good idea but it needs to a lot cheaper for me to think about it.

#4 9 years ago

I just finished wiring up 3 of my wall art fields with Christmas tree white leds. They have settings for 9 or 10 diff. patterns and they were only $6 each for a string of 100 with free shipping on ebay. No way as nice as the Airfield unit but $18 for 3 playfields worth aint bad and I just ordered 4 more. I guess I'm just cheap. Oh and Gorilla tape holds the the leds in place and the wires down real good when making tight bends in the wires for placement.

#5 9 years ago

Another of his videos showing star trek the next generation playfield.
    Wouldn't be that much work and there are quite a few tables already programmed that you can download for free or just make your own to match your playfield.

#6 9 years ago

The price has always been the issue with this thing, and why it's never taken off. If it was a hundred bucks, they would probably sell like gangbusters, but very few people are going to spend that kind of money and do all the required work.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

The price has always been the issue with this thing, and why it's never taken off. If it was a hundred bucks, they would probably sell like gangbusters, but very few people are going to spend that kind of money and do all the required work.

When ya want to do 8-10, $100 is still to rich for me. $800-$1000 compared to $48-$60, guess which one I"m choosing. I should join the Cheap Bastards Club.

#8 9 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

When ya want to do 8-10, $100 is still to rich for me. $800-$1000 compared to $48-$60, guess which one I"m choosing. I should join the Cheap Bastards Club.

Shirts are for sale...just sayin'.

I can't argue this. My personal feeling is that 100 is too much as well, but I do think that it would sell much better at that point for those of us that might have space for only 1 or 2 really nice looking PFs, it would be a lot easier to stomach.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Shirts are for sale...just sayin'.

I'll think about it, I'm cheap what can I say.

Quoted from Frax:

I can't argue this. My personal feeling is that 100 is too much as well, but I do think that it would sell much better at that point for those of us that might have space for only 1 or 2 really nice looking PFs, it would be a lot easier to stomach.

Yup, for one or two at 100 each is not bad and it does sooooo much more then my cheap ass way.

#10 9 years ago

Hey, thanks for the nod, facelift! Yes, I know they're expensive, but believe it or not we're not making much profit on them. The programming tool cost us $5000 to develop. If you haven't seen it, it really is a massive part of the Airfield value. It makes programming the sequences fun and easy.

Check it here:
    http://editor.ledseq.com/

And video tutorials here:
    http://ledseq.com/help/airfield-video-tutorials/

Besides that, the LED cables themselves had to be handmade -- 7000 of them. That means outer insulation removed and all 4 inner insulation stripped, tinned, and soldered to LEDs (that's 28,000 solder points!). Then of course there's a the PCB costs. We designed the PCB ourselves, but outsourced the cables and tool. So, yeah. It was an expensive project; probably too expensive, but it is high quality.

We only made 100 kits and we certainly aren't going to make any more. There are around 35 left, I think. If any of you want one, use the coupon code "pinside20" for 20% off from now until January 1, 2015. I know it's not much, but that's pretty much our break even point! Please note that I'll be traveling and can't ship until the first week of January.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinHacks:

The programming tool cost us $5000 to develop.

Erm....ouch.

#12 9 years ago
    Quoted from Frax:

Erm....ouch.

Hah! Yeah, but have you seen it? By any reasonable measure it should have cost twice that.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinHacks:

Hah! Yeah, but have you seen it? By any reasonable measure it should have cost twice that.

That's for sure, it's super slick.

1 year later
    #14 8 years ago

Was a fun project, and the editor works great. Too bad they are so expensive.....I could have done another, but the one project will have to do for the game room.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Was a fun project, and the editor works great. Too bad they are so expensive.....I could have done another, but the one project will have to do for the game room.
    » YouTube video

Looks great! I wish I could pull the trigger n get an airfield!

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from Manimal:

Very nice. I've got one here that I'm hoping to get wired up this weekend, after spending way too much time at work playing with the editor.

#17 8 years ago

I framed it and used a white semi-gloss background. Ran a strip of color changing LED's around the outside edge, so the holes in the playfield glow and change color, or constant, or however I program those LED's as well.

4 years later
    #18 3 years ago

Would love to buy an Airfield. If anybody has an unused one lying around please PM me. I'd love to buy it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/airfield-ledseq-led-sequence-lighting-for-playfield-wall-art?hl=manimal and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.