1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mmr61184
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 1 year ago

Do you guys recommend getting an airbrush for painting smaller things, rather than rattle cans. I don’t know a ton but I know you have to buy something pretty decent if you do. One of the things I like is you can control the colors so if you need to paint obscure stuff and you’re not limited to rattle can colors. Plus also don’t fill the basement up with fumes. I was light spraying speaker grilles and could smell it through the floor in my living room

#2 1 year ago

For small things sure; I have a 0.5mm needle which allows me to airbrush things up to playfield size (with patience).

Also have other tools in the arsenal like https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/lph-80-miniature-spray-gun.html.

I'd never rattle-can in the house!

#3 1 year ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

For small things sure; I have a 0.5mm needle which allows me to airbrush things up to playfield size (with patience).
    Also have other tools in the arsenal like https://www.iwata-airbrush.com/lph-80-miniature-spray-gun.html.
    I'd never rattle-can in the house!

Yeah I was thinking like the hobby sized ones for smaller things like the speaker grilles, and other small random stuff you have to paint. Idk if that would be too small for light board panels and speaker panels though. Plus have to imagine startup cost is pretty high with the gun and compressor

#4 1 year ago

The Iwata can run off a pancake compressor (if you don't already have one, they are handy!).

#5 1 year ago

If you're just looking to put down paint on medium sized objects without a lot of concern for really fine detail and control etc you can do plenty with a cheap airbrush and budget compressor. There is zero reason for you to even be looking at Iwata tbh. They make great equipment for people who will appreciate the extra care and control that you're not looking for.

Better idea is tell us what is a reasonable budget to work with and we can see what we can do within it for you.

#6 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If you're just looking to put down paint on medium sized objects without a lot of concern for really fine detail and control etc you can do plenty with a cheap airbrush and budget compressor. There is zero reason for you to even be looking at Iwata tbh. They make great equipment for people who will appreciate the extra care and control that you're not looking for.
    Better idea is tell us what is a reasonable budget to work with and we can see what we can do within it for you.

I don’t mind spending $100 -$200, if I can run something on a pancake compressor that would be fine. I am not looking for super fine details but want to replace using rattle cans. I won’t be panting anything huge like cabinets it’s more the smaller things like refreshing speaker grilles, carriage bolts, the light and speaker boards on wpc game. There are only two things I would do that is detailed oriented 1) need to stencil the W symbol on a whirlwind speaker grille for a family member 2) when the time comes I may have to stencil and repaint the fedora and whip on my IJ speaker grille

#7 1 year ago

#8 1 year ago
    Quoted from mmr61184:

I don’t mind spending $100 -$200, if I can run something on a pancake compressor that would be fine. I am not looking for super fine details but want to replace using rattle cans. I won’t be panting anything huge like cabinets it’s more the smaller things like refreshing speaker grilles, carriage bolts, the light and speaker boards on wpc game. There are only two things I would do that is detailed oriented 1) need to stencil the W symbol on a whirlwind speaker grille for a family member 2) when the time comes I may have to stencil and repaint the fedora and whip on my IJ speaker grille. The other thing that is important with those is I can mix my own colors

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/airbrush-for-non-playfield-smaller-painting-jobs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.