New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 139061)

Airborne Club - Cleared for takeoff on runway 4Q

By SilverUnicorn

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 225 posts
  • 34 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by bigguybbr
  • Topic is favorited by 11 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 65 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

airborne (resized).jpg
display (resized).jpg
IMG_4106 (resized).jpg
20200725_192923 (resized).jpg
20200725_193007 (resized).jpg
20200725_193034 (resized).jpg
20200725_193113 (resized).jpg
20200523_185429 (resized).jpg
20200523_185440 (resized).jpg
IMG_7876 (resized).JPG
IMG_7877 (resized).JPG
IMG_7878 (resized).JPG
IMG_7880 (resized).JPG
IMG_7879 (resized).JPG
IMG_7881 (resized).JPG
Capcom Intruction Blue (resized).jpg

There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.
#1 5 years ago

Didn't see an Airborne club. If I missed it, please let me know.

Who else loves Airborne?

Chris

#2 5 years ago

Definitely an underrated game. So much wireform

#3 5 years ago

It's probably the only game that is actually "fun" to shop. It's like building a chrome wire form layer cake.

#4 5 years ago

It was a crazy shop out, that's for certain! Airborne is quite the puzzle

Chris

DSCF7345.jpg

DSCF7347.jpg

#5 5 years ago

This is the least active club ever. LOL!

Chris

#6 5 years ago

I've recently acquired an Airborne. It seems to match the pictures on ipdb where the tower ramp flap is destroyed and the "Injector" plastic was gone - likely ball blasted away.

I noticed on the PAPA Airborne that it is missing the 2 1/2" rubber that is supposed be
on the Injector.

The injector rubber is too thin and still permits the ball to strike the plastic. I reversed the Injector posts and installed three rubbers to prevent damage to the plastic. I put a white rubber high on the posts behind the plastic so that the lettering on the plastic is still readable, and put two black rubbers down below. I imagine this still will not protect the plastic and it will eventually have damage. I am thinking of increasing the three post heights - adding two washers to get the plastic higher, perhaps someone has a better idea.

I think they should have gone with a series of posts with rubber or a steel bashing plate
across the whole thing or made the plastic mounts shorter placing the plastic further back.

I have a stuck ball problem above the the lower left saucer. The ball gets up on top of the
plastic but doesn't have enough clearance to drop back down to the playfield. The ramp is
holding the ball from dropping. I adjusted the ramp some, but apparently not enough.

The game had a number of electrical problems that I just recently have sorted out. So I am just getting into the game play but suffering with the stuck ball problem.

I will be adding some Pinball Side Mirrors that will go well with the mirrored back and the chrome ramp/habit trails.

Barry

#7 5 years ago

My Injector plastic was broken as well. I got one from Pinball Spare Parts Australia. The posts on my injector assembly were on upside down making the rubber too high and thus getting the plastic hit (and broken). I reversed the posts when I shopped it out. I think I got it right and it hasn't been an issue since.

My Airborne had TONS of broken plastics as well. Some are really hard to find. I did manage to find most of them, but had to fix one or two of the originals.

If anyone needs shop out pics, my album is at https://www.flickr.com/photos/91696572@N00/albums/72157637650498843
And the shop out thread is here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/airborne-shop-out-help-needed

Chris

2 weeks later
#8 5 years ago

I'm in the club. Got a great Aust delivered one a few months ago. I've got a few small repairs to do, add Cliffy protectors etc. but overall it plays great. If Herg gets his OCD working I'd consider doing the LED treatment.

#9 5 years ago

I'm in, just at the part collecting stage. We are still taking inventory of what is missing or broken.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I'm in the club. Got a great Aust delivered one a few months ago. I've got a few small repairs to do, add Cliffy protectors etc. but overall it plays great. If Herg gets his OCD working I'd consider doing the LED treatment.

Cliffy does make protectors for the left side of right ramp entrance. I got one from him.

DSCF7784.jpg

DSCF7783.jpg

#11 5 years ago

Whats a fair price to ask for my very nice, no mylar, unshopped Airbourne. Its just screaming headache to me to shop it out.

#12 5 years ago

I have seen them around $2K - $2500 for nice examples. Not one that comes up often. Did someone remove the mylar on yours?

Chris

#13 5 years ago

I do not believe it to have ever been installed. I believe this is a home use only game. No way to prove it though.

#14 5 years ago

Airborne is a super cool game with one kinda big flaw, and that's that it's too linear. If the modes were random instead of in the same order each time it would be a better game IMHO.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Airborne is a super cool game with one kinda big flaw, and that's that it's too linear. If the modes were random instead of in the same order each time it would be a better game IMHO.

This is true of Pinball Magic as well (I have both). I like it because it reminds me of System 11 machines with DMD's

I can understand why people don't like it because of that though.

Quoted from the96stang:

I do not believe it to have ever been installed. I believe this is a home use only game. No way to prove it though.

Interesting! Maybe it's just so clean that you don't notice it! LOL.

Chris

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I like the linearity of the game - not a flaw if it's intentional. Nearly every arcade game was linear and we played those same levels over and over. Most non-linear games have an element of linearity anyway - just by virtue of the rules and how people work out the best scoring strategy. Who plays Metallica without bashing Sparky first?

#17 5 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

Who plays Metallica without bashing Sparky first?

Me, all the time.

It's a flaw because it makes it not particularly interesting to own. That works fine in the arcade, which is what it was meant for, but for home use it's just a bit dull.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Me, all the time.
It's a flaw because it makes it not particularly interesting to own. That works fine in the arcade, which is what it was meant for, but for home use it's just a bit dull.

Hey man, this is the Airborne owners club you know. :shhh:Each to their own I guess. I see you like the designer Fernandez at least with a Flash Gordon in your collection and wanting an Electra.

1 month later
#19 5 years ago

Club member ... looking for years for an affordable Airborne, now got it .. with rust . After the shopout a nice machine, pics are here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shopping-a-capcom-airborne-any-advice#post-2817466

7 months later
3 weeks later
#21 4 years ago

Since yesterday, I also own one. Backbox is waiting to be reconnected, and then some minor repairs need to be done (bought it in working order, but with few switch warnings).

#22 4 years ago

I'm in the middle of cleaning up my game and prepping it for the LED OCD conversion. I was having trouble accessing the back and couldn't help but think there's more to the playfield raising mechanism than I first thought. So I lifted it up and pulled it forward to a balancing position and the gently rested the front of the machine on the lock bar receiver. The base of the sling mechs are what's holding the game up. I can't help but think this is an intentional design and dang has it made accessing the back area easier. Some Stern type posts is all I'd need to make this perfect. Anyone seen this done before?

image.jpeg

#23 4 years ago

-nvm-

#24 4 years ago

Anyone have experience removing mylar from a Capcom playfield?

Mine has mylar, does not look factory installed, looks like it could have been applied without removing too much of the playfield too. But its bubbling (not above inserts!) and on one corner its getting loose. It looks very tempting to just rip it off (using the freezing-method) but I am afraid I might destroy the insert decals or something like that.

But I know the playfield underneath is brand new...!

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

Mine has mylar, does not look factory installed, looks like it could have been applied without removing too much of the playfield too. But its bubbling (not above inserts!) and on one corner its getting loose. It looks very tempting to just rip it off (using the freezing-method) but I am afraid I might destroy the insert decals or something like that.

Removing pinball mylar with cold freeze spray

I've used canned air duster on a Capcom and a few machines with no issues.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I'm in the middle of cleaning up my game and prepping it for the LED OCD conversion. I was having trouble accessing the back and couldn't help but think there's more to the playfield raising mechanism than I first thought. So I lifted it up and pulled it forward to a balancing position and the gently rested the front of the machine on the lock bar receiver. The base of the sling mechs are what's holding the game up. I can't help but think this is an intentional design and dang has it made accessing the back area easier. Some Stern type posts is all I'd need to make this perfect. Anyone seen this done before?

I wish I would of seen this a month ago. Never knew the playfield could do that when I shopped Airborne!

#27 4 years ago

I've been in the club since last year......it's one of my favs!! I do agree about the linear rule set and if it was random I wouldn't complain about it but memorizing each timed mode and trying to master it has its charm as well. I have LEDOCD in mine and it's the best MOD to have in this ol' capcom beaut. I didn't know about the ramp cliffy.....glad I found this thread as my ramp is in great shape so might as well protect it. I'll be posting in here more now that I know we are "inda club"

#28 4 years ago

He doesn't have Airbourne listed on his site anymore. But I should email him as well and get a Protector for that ramp as well. I hope he still has some. That Ledocd works pretty nicely on Airborne? I would love to see a video on YouTube of it in action!

#29 4 years ago

Get both!

AirborneScoop_(resized).jpg

AirborneRamp_(resized).jpg

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

He doesn't have Airbourne listed on his site anymore. But I should email him as well and get a Protector for that ramp as well. I hope he still has some. That Ledocd works pretty nicely on Airborne? I would love to see a video on YouTube of it in action!

I just finished a strip and clean of mine, including installing LEDs and the Capcom LED OCD today. It's a great mod. I'll post some side by side video when I can. I'm yet to fine tune the colours and will tone down the backbox and slings area.

Added over 4 years ago: Herg has since added the side by side video to the LED OCD for Capcom thread.

#31 4 years ago

Anybody have any spare Capcom Airborne flipper parts for sale?

#32 4 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Anybody have any spare Capcom Airborne flipper parts for sale?

I just rebuilt mine using parts from PSPA and RTBB (Aust) Some were Capcom parts and some were the same or very similar.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from mgpasman:

I removed mylar from Breakshot with fantastic success. I did Airborne, and it did pull a bit of 2 of the center jet inserts art up, but I thiink that was my fault for going too fast. I also removed the mylar from my Pinball Magic with no such good results, but again, I think I was too aggressive.

If you use the freeze spray method, and take your time, I think you will be okay. The playfield underneath each one was stellar!

airborne1_(resized).jpg

Airborne3_(resized).jpg

Airborne2_(resized).jpg

#34 4 years ago

I've seen but not paid attention to this game in the past. Time to look more closely at the next show. Pinball magic got my interest, but didn't do it for me when I put some time on it.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Nevus:

I've seen but not paid attention to this game in the past. Time to look more closely at the next show. Pinball magic got my interest, but didn't do it for me when I put some time on it.

Where did you play Pinball Magic? Just curious if it was the one I had at the Allentown Show.

Chris

#36 4 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Where did you play Pinball Magic? Just curious if it was the one I had at the Allentown Show.
Chris

Sadly no. I've played it in at other shows. I've not made it as far as Allentown.

#37 4 years ago

One of the fastest games ever. If you play AB first and then TZ, it feels playing in slow-mo.

As already mentioned several times befor the linear gameplay is, like in PM, probably the weakest part of this great game.

#38 4 years ago

I've posted this on the LED OCD for Capcom thread but thought I'd share it here too. If anyone is considering this board it's well with it. I've used mostly Comet 2smd and a few other globes I had spare. I also put in four spotlights which brings the overall light up nicely.

image (resized).jpeg

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I just rebuilt mine using parts from PSPA and RTBB (Aust) Some were Capcom parts and some were the same or very similar.

I checked spare parts Australia and other places as well and have had no luck finding flipper parts. My flippers work fine but someone hacked them and instead of having machine screws for coil stops they just screwed in longer screws right through mounting bracket to bottom of playfield. I've thought about trying to change to Williams parts but I'm not sure if there is enough room for the brackets.

#40 4 years ago

The change can be done.I know several Capcom games in TNT videos have Williams Flippers in them.

Chris

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

I checked spare parts Australia and other places as well and have had no luck finding flipper parts. My flippers work fine but someone hacked them and instead of having machine screws for coil stops they just screwed in longer screws right through mounting bracket to bottom of playfield. I've thought about trying to change to Williams parts but I'm not sure if there is enough room for the brackets.

I will look up my last order and get some part numbers for you which might help. Give me a day or two. Are you after anything specific?

#42 4 years ago
Quoted from DMC:

I will look up my last order and get some part numbers for you which might help. Give me a day or two. Are you after anything specific?

I'm looking for flipper coil stops and flipper mounting plates. But basically interested in any parts for my Airborne.

#43 4 years ago

Also forgot to mention I'm looking for someone to measure the translite trim on their Capcom Airborne for me. Mine came with a new translite with electrical taped translite to it! Also it is a plexi glass, if someone has the exact dimensions of the translite glass that would be really helpful as well. I have spare Williams back glass trim that I'm hoping to use but I can't test since I have a plexi of differnce size than original. Any help or measurements will help. Thanks in advance!

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Bay78:

Also forgot to mention I'm looking for someone to measure the translite trim on their Capcom Airborne for me. Mine came with a new translite with electrical taped translite to it! Also it is a plexi glass, if someone has the exact dimensions of the translite glass that would be really helpful as well. I have spare Williams back glass trim that I'm hoping to use but I can't test since I have a plexi of differnce size than original. Any help or measurements will help. Thanks in advance!

Here's the coil stops link:
http://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/coils/capcom/a-00378.html

I recently measured my AB and PM and it was 664mm wide by 50mm high. Here is the thread on Aussie Arcade forums.

Back glass size for Pinball Magic Capcom
http://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread.php?t=82611

1 week later
#45 4 years ago

Fellow pinheads, I still have one pesky problem left on my Airborne. Whenever a ball is orbited from the spinner, passing the J E T lanes and enters behind the tower, it gets stuck under the left ramp. Switch 72 (UNDER RAMP OPTO) registers correctly, both during test and during game (it plays a sound when a ball blocks the beam). Yet, I would expect the ramp to rise in that case, letting the ball out. Now I have to wait for ball search. During test, the coil holding up the L ramp also works normally, it even goes up sometimes during gameplay (apparently when I am supposed to make a left orbit shot).

So why is it not letting the ball through during gameplay?

The only thing I can imagine is that the ball is not meant to go there from the top, could it be my game is missing a wire gate (like http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-9465-L) on the left side?

Edit: I am using V1.3 of the software. On IPDB, V1.6 is available, and the changelog of 1.4 shows:

"The up/down ramp opto will now remain active after game over. This will allow the game to clear any balls that may be under the ramp without having to wait for ball search.".

Could that be the problem?

#46 4 years ago

So can you put LEDs in a Capcom? I tried it in the head of my machine and they flicker way too much.. Okay I just looked up the OCD LED board does this really work? $250 seems a little high..

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from pacman11:

So can you put LEDs in a Capcom? I tried it in the head of my machine and they flicker way too much.. Okay I just looked up the OCD LED board does this really work? $250 seems a little high..

Yes....it's absolutely worth it! I have the boards in mine and the flicker is gone.....totally smooth running like the original incandescents. Check out this link....it has many videos including one I posted.....

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/led-ocd-for-capcom

#48 4 years ago

Just got my airborne last night. Swapped in my blue xpin and starting to tweak her.

PO got a full set of cliffy's. He had not installed the one for the left side of the right ramp and had turned down the coil power so it did not get damaged. Installing it now, but wondering if the unprotected right side is at risk? Does cliffy make a right side protector?

Also, the left saucer seems to love to kick stright down the middle, anyone have a fix for this?

#49 4 years ago

Well, the pin gods give and the pin gods taketh away. Put the playfield up on the metal lip tonight, slipped and smashed the plastic cover in front of the speaker panel. If anyone knows where to find a replacement or one for Pinball Magic (mine was damaged when I got it) I would appreciate it.

Edit, looks like I am not the first. I punched a hole in a clear sheet of plastic. There is a printed piece of paper behind it which is undamaged. It is not original, but it is a decent enough fake that you don't notice. Still would like an original.

#50 4 years ago

Would love to join the club if anybody knows of one for sale

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TENNESSEE
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 350.00
Boards
Pinball Basement
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.00
€ 18.95
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
M&M Mods
$ 132.00
$ 5,899.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs
$ 15.00
Electronics
PIN-UPS
$ 159.00
£ 31.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
$ 3.50
Playfield - Protection
Pinball Mod Co.
$ 9,500.00
Pinball Machine
Nitro Pinball Shop
$ 20.00
Various Novelties
GC Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
€ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Creo Pinball
There are 225 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 5.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside