9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by lukerp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

I have been toying with the idea of getting an airbrush. I'm on the verge of starting a retheme project with my sons and thought it would come in handy with that. I picked up a NF that (believe it or not) has become a family favorite. Its got fade on one side. I've seen the sharpie/marker touch ups that aren't that bad but a airbrush done right would be great. I'm reasonably artistic and would dig the chance to practice. Any advice? Can I pick up a decent kit without breaking the bank? Any pitfalls? As usual , Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

Bigduke6,

As with any tool, the quality of the end work is defined by the quality of the tool/materials and your proficiency with it.

That being said, there are certainly very good pre-defined packages that would be of great value in this hobby that would serve you well.

Check out TCP global...

http://www.tcpglobal.com/airbrushdepot/

they are a reputable seller that has a number of "package deals" that will meet your needs.

The rest is up to you to build the necessary experience...practice, practice, practice.

cheers,

rody

#3 9 years ago

I have an Iwata Eclipse and it's a great all around starter. See if you can get one used on ebay before you buy new if you want to save money. You can also pick up a cheap harbor freight pancake compressor with adjustable pressure controls to use instead of one of the fancy "airbrush compressors".

#4 9 years ago

Check CL locally for airbrush kits and such........only buy a good brand name. IWATA for me.

#5 9 years ago

I would not buy a used airbrush and I would not go for an airbrush sold at Harbor Freight unless there are parts that are readily available for it. The needles and tips in an airbrush are easily damaged and if you do damage them and have no way of replacing them, then the airbrush is useless. A compressor from harbor freight or Walmart or any other place will be fine but I would get a name brand airbrush. Some beginners like an Aztec because it is light and easy to clean since the atomization of the paint does not happen in the airbrush body. Iwatas are great. Real workhorses. Badger is making some nice Renegades these days. Another thing to consider is the type of airbrush. General purpose ones that will do a wide spray pattern or illustration brushes that will be able to paint a hairline. Also, some brushes can use different needles and tips to do different spray patterns so it will be a more versatile tool. Along withe an airbrush, hose, compressor you might want to consider getting some good cleaner to THROUGHLY cleanout the brush and possibly a water seperator to keep water out of the line and messing up the spray pattern. I like compressors with a large enough air tank with a pressure switch on it that way I can work off the air in the tank, (silent) and then when that starts to run out the comp. kicks in and refills the tank. An airbrush really needs to be maintained well. if you let too much paint build up and dry in the body it will be a pain to get it out. That is where the really good cleaner comes in. Water based paints are not as durable as laquer or enamel paints, but are much easier to work with. I also found that a dual action airbrush, though harder to get used to at first gives you much more control in the long run. Dual action means that you push down on the trigger to get an airflow, and then when you pull the same trigger to draw the needle through the tip, it gives a release of paint. More push on the trigger, more air. Longer draw on the pull, more paint. It is kind of tough to give about 20 years of experience in just one paragraph but feel free to pm me with any questions or if you want anything explained a little more.

#6 9 years ago

Air brushing is a great way to do it but cut yourself a break and mask off while painting because free handing as a beginner will leave you upset with all the touching up. A gravity feed is easier to work with, suction feed can be tough to anticipate.

is a great starter brush for the price, about 75 dollars from TCP Global. Here is their Ebay store for a better deal: ebay.com link: ebay.com

#7 9 years ago

Hey,

I bought a Badger Crescendo. I bought it because I wasn't particularly pleased with the Aztec. The Crescendo is good enough for cabinet touch ups and reprinting relatively large areas, at least for me.

Luke

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside