(Topic ID: 198605)

Air Balls! What pins defy the laws of gravity?

By ASOA

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170924_170153 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

I Have a few pins that the ball has a tendency to take flight when hit just right off the flippers. In my collection the game that does it the most is Ghostbusters. What other pins have that same problem? Are some pins more prone to this? I know proper setup is important. Do you feel no game should do this if set up properly?

Thoughts?

#2 6 years ago

My Xenon does crazy air balls off of the slingshots, and the flippers, occasionally jumping over the flippers and draining.

#3 6 years ago

If the ball is going airborne off the flipper bats then try raising the rubber a little higher on the face of the bats.

#4 6 years ago

RoboCop is known for some crazy fast ball acrobatics.

#5 6 years ago

And of course, my Night Moves is air ball city! I started a thread about it, but can't copy/paste the link from my phone.

#6 6 years ago

If it is from the flippers it is fixable by raising the rubber on the bats. Also, silicone flipper rubber and softer rubbers are more prone to airballs.

#7 6 years ago

From time to time my Dialed in takes flight. Good game. Just think the ball is having so much fun he can't contain himself.

#8 6 years ago

My Whirlwind smacks the glass now and then after rebounding off of a stand up

#9 6 years ago

Indiana Jones drop targets. The airballs are so bad they built a ball save into the code if it drains after a drop target hit. I actually made and sell a mod to prevent the airballs and it totally changes the game.

#10 6 years ago

I always wondering how many airballs have broke the glass. Has this ever happened to anyone?

#11 6 years ago

I've found Mousin' Around has a lot of airballs.

#12 6 years ago

I do find a freshly waxed pin will air ball a little. I think the ball just glides so easily it can maintain spin, then it hits the flipper rubber and jumps. As the wax wears a little the increased friction with the playfield takes the spin off on the ball settles.

#13 6 years ago

Should just retitle this thread to Ghostbusters

#14 6 years ago

AMH by Spooky Pinball.
Love that game. The pinballs get movin around pretty fast sometimes. Balls end up stuck on top of playfield plastics, etc.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

If it is from the flippers it is fixable by raising the rubber on the bats. Also, silicone flipper rubber and softer rubbers are more prone to airballs.

Thank you very much for posting. I have been in this hobby for over 30 years and had never heard of or thought of that. I am going to try on all our machines from now on. I always believed that the air balls on newer Sterns were from high ball speed bending and bouncing off bits of the machine.

#16 6 years ago

My Evel Knievel's red center target causes the ball to smack the glass every time. ive gotten so use to hearing that satisfying *CRACK! sound i would never change it. i love it. but on the other hand on my Mars God of War i've had the ball take flight after hitting the center drop bank, catch air and land in the shooter lane many times. once it even took out one of my plastics.

20170924_170153 (resized).jpg20170924_170153 (resized).jpg

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

My Evel Knievel's red center target causes the ball to smack the glass every time. ive gotten so use to hearing that satisfying *CRACK! sound i would never change it. i love it. but on the other hand on my Mars God of War i've had the ball take flight after hitting the center drop bank, catch air and land in the shooter lane many times. once it even took out one of my plastics.

My Black Pyramid used to do the same thing off the moving target...I loved that sound...

#18 6 years ago

Klondike has 5 linebacker pop bumpers and several standup targets in front of them so the ball just flys over the whole mess after launching from the center kick out hole. The glass is going to blow one of these days.

#19 6 years ago

Star Trek LE center drop target has no cover above it like the Pro Model . It will send the pinball flying all over . You need the install a 'Pinbits Pro Plastic ' protector on your LE models and request that Pam sends you that specific protector as the ST Pro and STLE protectors are different . Tip of the day well worth the hassle to install on your StarTrekLE

#20 6 years ago

My STTNG has had airballs since I got it a year and a half ago. Mainly happens off the targets beside the Beta Ramp entry and also the posts by the Alpha Ramp entry.

#21 6 years ago

wow, I have a STTNG and don't ever remember airballs on it.

#22 6 years ago

DE Simpsons! Serious airballs off glass when you hit the bowling pin drops.

#23 6 years ago

Met pro. Sparky love kicking that ball across the Playfield

#24 6 years ago

I love the sound of pinball on glass. Especially on Whitewater.

#26 6 years ago

Yep...ball save written ride into the code no less.

#27 6 years ago

My MMPM is glass crack central!!

#28 6 years ago

Tron with the clear spinning disc makes the ball do some crazy shit .

#29 6 years ago

I have a Pool Sharks in the shop that gets a ton of air balls when the middle two drop targets are down. Hit's the rubber and goes flying.

No broken glass yet.

#30 6 years ago

Nothing like the sound of a good firm shot smacking off the glass. Love it!

#31 6 years ago

MM/MMR Troll Multiball. Troll pops up when a ball is rolling over it, only game air ball I've encountered that slams the glass.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Alpharetta, GA
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
$ 21.50
8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fairfax, VA
$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 70.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

14,000 (OBO)
$ 78.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 285.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
CRCades

$ 114.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple

$ 24.95
Lighting - Other
The MOD Couple

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/air-balls-what-pins-defy-the-laws-of-gravity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.