• Latest reply 6 years ago by herg
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 6 years ago

I have a recurring issue with air balls on an original AFM.

First, the two green martian targets to either side of the mothership. I installed backing foam on both of those targets, which I thought would have solved the issue, but it keeps happening. One target is new, the other is original. The left target causes higher and more frequent air balls than the right target.

Second, if I hit the drop target (under the mothership) straight on, the target drops and the ball launches in the air and sails straight down the middle *over* the flippers. This is not just a one-time fluke--I've been able to reproduce this several times.

The pin is leveled at 6-1/2 degrees, according to the bubble level on the side of the playfield. Plastic protectors don't seem to make a difference on the plastics to the left and right of the mothership.

I don't recall having experienced these types of air balls on other AFM's I've played. Has anyone encountered these air ball issues before, or found a way to address them?
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#2 6 years ago

on a little bit on a tangent but possibly related - I suffered alot of airballs on ghostbusters and through research and theory I determined that new targets stand almost 90 degrees to the playfield where 90's targets learn forward approx 5 degrees so roughly 85 degrees to the playfield. The rivet also on GB sits lower so in combination of the angle and the rivet it then when hit leans back beyond 90 degrees and allows the ball to hit and launch up. I redesigned the gb target base and introduced a 5 degree lean as well as reduced the mounting holes 2mm which effectively lifts the rivet 2mm higher and has greatly reduced airballs for me and a few others that have tried my bracket mod.

hope it at least helps in viewing the issue from another angle

#3 6 years ago

I've had issues on many games with airballs off targets. My solution that works wonders. Rip off the foam. Replace with a piece of old flipper rubber super glue on. Bam, no airballs. Worked like a champ on my shadow Mongol targets as well as many other games.

#4 6 years ago

I get no airballs on mine.... try 7.0 playfield angle.

#5 6 years ago

I get air balls off the drop target on my AFMr, but it’s better now with the flippers turned down a bit.

#6 6 years ago

In home use afm does not need the strongest williams coils FL-11629. Try going one flipper coil weaker to FL-15411. I made this change years ago. I have my AFM for 12 years now. The game plays smoother without the bent and broken green targets. All the shots are easily made without the air balls.

Mike

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from nocreditdot:

Try going one flipper coil weaker to FL-15411.

I swapped the coils in mine, also.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 21.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanted
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

16,500 (OBO)
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/air-balls-on-afm?hl=djshakes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.