Air Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel 02 (resized).jpg
Air Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel Switch Blades 01 (resized).jpg
Air Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel 01 (resized).jpg
Air Aces Score Adjustment Card and Plug (resized).jpg
Air Aces Bonus Adjustment Card and Plug (resized).jpg
2019-02-06 16.05.40.jpg
Air Aces Game Adjustments (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I posted previously in the "Tech Generic" forum and was advised to repost my problems in the EM Tech forum, so here it goes....
Any advice and/or guidance is greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased the game I played in my youth, Bally's Air Aces, and when I got it home realized there were many issues/anomalies with the game.
I was able to "fix" many of the issues by adjusting the gaps in the switch blades on all of the 10-pointers including the slingshots, but I still have some minor issues I would like to remedy and some questions on how to make some adjustments.
I have the wiring diagram/schematic, but I am not great at reading schematics so if any advice could be more in the realm of "look under the playfield or behind this item and see that relay or whatever and check to see if something is unscrewed, loose, or disconnected."

These are the issues/anomalies I would like to remedy:

1. The Right Pop Bumper sometimes gives Extra Ball without landing ball in the Extra Ball Kick-out Hole.
This doesn't happen always, and it seems even less so after adjusting the gap in the switch blade on the 10-pointer just below the pop bumper.
Is there a potential short across Pop bumper or switch blade and the Kick-out hole?

2. Player 4 score reels do not advance past 09990; rollover to 000000.
Is this is a mechanical issue in which the 1,000 reel is just not pulling/pushing the 10,000 reel over, or is this an electrical signal not getting through? I haven't taken the back cover off to investigate this issue yet, I am hoping it is a safe assumption that this would be where the problem exists regardless of whether it was electrical or mechanical.

3. Some Bonus Lamp covers are loose and not flush with playing surface causing some redirection of ball path.
I received a recommendation to glue inserts back in at proper height to the playfield. How is this accomplished?
Do I need to remove the insert completely, clean them and then re-insert and re-glue?
I want to be able to get them flush with the playfield surface and not make it worse than it is.
Are there any tutorials in this site on something seemingly simple as this?

In addition, can someone please provide instructions on how to make adjustments to the game characteristics?
4. How do you adjust the score required for replay?
5. How do you adjust the number of games per quarter?
6. How do you adjust the number of balls per game?
7. How do you adjust the bonus required to light the double bonus and/or extra ball kick out holes?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Glad to see you moved your questions here.

Th inserts need to be leveled and then glued. To change the score for replay, there is a connector on the bottom of the playfield for adjustments. The number of games per quarter adjustment is by the fuses. You will see connectors there, along with ball per game. Hopefully you have the connector cards on the sides of the cabinet when you open the coin door.

Check you switch alignment on the score reels and the one that is sticking, may need cleaned.

The pop bumper and extra ball would need some research in the schematic. I would make sure all your Jones plugs are clean and seated all the way before you start adjusting switch blades. They plug in under the playfield in the back of the relay board.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from RayJ:

3. Some Bonus Lamp covers are loose and not flush with playing surface causing some redirection of ball path.
I received a recommendation to glue inserts back in at proper height to the playfield. How is this accomplished?
Do I need to remove the insert completely, clean them and then re-insert and re-glue?
I want to be able to get them flush with the playfield surface and not make it worse than it is.
Are there any tutorials in this site on something seemingly simple as this?

Start with post 8 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-ultimate-playfield-restoration

#4 5 years ago

YeOldPinPlayer & Skidave,
Thanks...
I have some cards posted on the inside of the cabinet like this one.
The labeling inside the box is actually pretty well preserved considering the age of the machine.
But, I'm not sure exactly what I am looking at or what exactly I need to do for instance to change the current setting of 5 balls per game to 3.
I would like to leave this setting at 5 balls per game, but would still like to know how to make those types of changes/modifications to game features.
I would like to increase the bonus required for lighting the extra ball kick out hole and the score required for replays. And also change to 1 game per quarter instead of the current setting of two per quarter. I don't know why, because I haven't put a quarter in this machine since I bought it.....

If someone could tell me where these changes can be made, I can take a pic and show the existing setup and then they can see what wires need to be changed or connected to what posts.
Skidave,
I can take a pic of the fuse block tonight and hopefully post tomorrow. Maybe from that you can advise me on what changes will give me the desired settings.

Leveling the inserts looks like no small task and will take some time.

The Player 4 reels are going to take some time also, but I don't often utilize the 4 player option, so not a show stopper, but hopefully, cleaning them will fix the problem or there will be something that jumps out as being out of the ordinary when comparing them to the player 1,2, & 3 reels....

Air Aces Game Adjustments (resized).jpgAir Aces Game Adjustments (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago

This is from my Freedom EM
Jones plug goes on the left for three ball play.

2019-02-06 16.05.40.jpg2019-02-06 16.05.40.jpg

#6 5 years ago

Okay, So checked some stuff last night.
Took some pictures and was able to look for Adjustment cards and Jones plugs and make some of the personalized adjustments to my game.
Adjusted the Bonus required for Lighting the "Double Bonus" kickout hole to 5 and the "Extra Ball" kickout hole to 10.

Air Aces Bonus Adjustment Card and Plug (resized).jpgAir Aces Bonus Adjustment Card and Plug (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago

I also was able to change the Score required for earning replays.
Per the Score Card and Jones plug, I placed the Black wire plug in the "0000" hole to earn a replay at 80,000 and the red wire plug in the "9000" to earn a second replay at 99,000.

Air Aces Score Adjustment Card and Plug (resized).jpgAir Aces Score Adjustment Card and Plug (resized).jpg
#8 5 years ago

Here is my setup. 2 credits per coin, no 3rd coin shoot, 3 balls per game and credit for special.

20190207_113213 (resized).jpg20190207_113213 (resized).jpg
#9 5 years ago

With respect to the 10,000 score reel for Player 4, I took the following photos.
Comparing the switch blade gaps on the Player 4 10,000 score reel to the other three player's 10,000 score reels it looked as if they were touching while the others were not.
I adjusted the switch blade gaps to try and replicate the other 10,000 score reel switch blade gaps as best I could.
Another miracle!
The Player 4 10,000 score reel will now turn over during play.
But wait.....
Now, the Player 4 10,000 score reel does not reset to 0 when starting a new game.
The other three reels reset to 0, but the 10,000 remains at whatever value was achieved on the previous game played by Player 4.
In addition, if a Player 4 game is played starting at the ending point for the previous game, (for example 30,000) the Player 4 score will accumulate from that score with the Player 4 10,000 score reel working properly.
Has anyone experienced this issue?
Is this something that requires additional adjustments to the switch blade gaps?
Or is there a separate adjustment that is required to remedy this anomaly?
Again, Thanks for all the help.
Your suggestions were on point and lead me right to where I needed to go.

Air Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel 01 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel 01 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel 02 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel 02 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel Switch Blades 01 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel Switch Blades 01 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel Switch Blades 02 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 10,000 Score Reel Switch Blades 02 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 Score reels 01 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 Score reels 01 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 Score reels 02 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 Score reels 02 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 Score reels 03 (resized).jpgAir Aces Player 4 Score reels 03 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Here is my setup. 2 credits per coin, no 3rd coin shoot, 3 balls per game and credit for special.
[quoted image]

Skidave,
Thanks for providing your setup.
Here is mine.
Pink Boxes provide Match Feature
Light Blue Boxes provide 5 Balls per Game
Blue Boxes Provide No 3rd Coin Chute - this is also absent in the row of relays (?) on the interior right side of the box.
I am assuming this would be the center slot on the coin door, is that correct?
Green Boxes Is that the 2 credits per coin? My plug is in the same position as yours and I receive 2 credits whenever either coin slot switch is tripped.
Red Boxes "Hi-Score Feature" ? four holes and four plugs on the Jones plug. Currently the top two plugs are in the bottom two holes.
What will happen if I place all four plugs in all four holes?
What block changes the credit for Special?
I currently get the replay credit when the ball travels through the lane when lit so I want to keep it set as-is, but having the information is always valuable.

Air Aces Adjustment Cards and Plugs (resized).jpgAir Aces Adjustment Cards and Plugs (resized).jpg
#11 5 years ago

Your red box is credit / extra ball for special. They wrote it as high score. If you look at that connector, only two wires are used on the connector. Moving it up and having all 4 pins in the sockets changes it to extra ball (the two pins that are not used do nothing).

Enjoy

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from Skidave:

Your red box is credit / extra ball for special. They wrote it as high score. If you look at that connector, only two wires are used on the connector. Moving it up and having all 4 pins in the sockets changes it to extra ball (the two pins that are not used do nothing).
Enjoy

Ahhhh.
So, if I moved the Jones plug up to have all four posts engage all four sockets, the "Special" Lane becomes "Same Player Shoots Again" vice a "Replay" or Extra Game.
Seems kind of a redundant reward to the kickout hole, because at that point, you will have knocked down all the drop targets, and met my new criteria to have advanced the bonus to 10 lighting the extra ball kickout hole.
Okay, Great info Skidave. That one stays the way it is.
Maybe the confusion comes from the thought I had read that this game, and other Bally machines of the era, had a high score feature.
Something that if you set the high score you received 3 replays/free games. Maybe I read it on a score card or something.

Oh, I forgot to include these pictures of a token I found just peaking out from under the component mounting board inside the cabinet.
I wonder how long it has been there?
I guess you never know where your machine has been.

Token found in Air Aces SN 003981 (resized).jpgToken found in Air Aces SN 003981 (resized).jpg
#13 5 years ago
Quoted from RayJ:

Maybe the confusion comes from the thought I had read that this game, and other Bally machines of the era, had a high score feature.
Something that if you set the high score you received 3 replays/free games. Maybe I read it on a score card or something.
[quoted image]

That 3 credits for high score is for Bally early Solid State games. That scares the crap out of my kids when they get a high score.

Cool find on the coin. Keep it in there somewhere for good Karma!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/air-aces-issues-anomalies-advice?hl=skidave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.