Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• Stranger Things Pro is better 43 votes
    52%
  • AIQ Pro is better 40 votes
    48%

(83 votes)

#1 2 years ago

Interested in opinions between these two games.

Which do you prefer regarding repeat playability, strategy, difficulty, challenge, layout and/or overall fun.

Explanations for opinions appreciated.

#2 2 years ago

STh is more approachable, and with easier shots. Definitely feels like a 90's Bally/Williams on steroids. Would recommend more for newer or less skilled players (including kids).

AIQ is more complex, both in playfield layout and in rules. Many ways to attack it via Inifinty Gem placement. Recommended for more experienced players or folks who like more "meat" in their rulesets.

I have both in my basement, and go to them for different moods. I'd say STh is a better game for the arcade, and AIQ is better for the home.

Later,
EV

#3 2 years ago

Interesting. Only one statement on these games.

But STh holds every vote. All 4 of em.

#4 2 years ago

Depends on what you are looking for

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Depends on what you are looking for

How do opinions depend on what you're looking for?

They should depend on what you think of the games after spending time playing them.

#6 2 years ago

I have spent a good amount of time on both.

Stranger things is “easier” and definitely more of an every player game. Anyone can walk up to that and figure out what to do.

Avengers is a code rich game with a lot of great shots. Once you understand the game play, it’s fantastic.

I prefer Avengers, but you’d be happy with either.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:How do opinions depend on what you're looking for?
They should depend on what you think of the games after spending time playing them.

What’s better an SUV or a sedan?

#8 2 years ago

I have owned both ST Pro and AIQ Premium. Get Stranger Things by far, especially with UV kit. To sum up AIQ, it's pretty artwork, theme is there, shots(especially Premium) are cool, but the game (and integration) has no soul at all...I literally don't feel like I'm playing an Avngers game at all.

Every casual player who comes to my house preferred Mando & TMNT over AIQ by a wide margin.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

What’s better an SUV or a sedan?

Excellent cargument. Both machines get terrible gas mileage.

I asked for opinions of the machines from those who've played them.

#10 2 years ago

My opinion is AIQ shots and strategy are better but generally have more fun playing STh.
You have to be on point for Elwin games, I don’t always want to think that hard.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from EchoVictor:

STh is more approachable, and with easier shots. Definitely feels like a 90's Bally/Williams on steroids. Would recommend more for newer or less skilled players (including kids).
AIQ is more complex, both in playfield layout and in rules. Many ways to attack it via Inifinty Gem placement. Recommended for more experienced players or folks who like more "meat" in their rulesets.
I have both in my basement, and go to them for different moods. I'd say STh is a better game for the arcade, and AIQ is better for the home.
Later,
EV

I’ve only played premiums of both and this takeaway is pretty much spot-on. I owned STh Prem and a buddy owns AIQ prem. I’d probably have a better (and longer) answer if it was opposite. STh reminds me of Tron. The game is easy to understand/explain but the gameplay experience is off the charts unique. Guests will go nuts over STh, and with good reason. I still haven’t figured out much with AIQ, and probably won’t until I own it, but it’s probably the better game.

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

Excellent cargument. Both machines get terrible gas mileage.
I asked for opinions of the machines from those who've played them.

I’ve owned both and they are completely different games that someone would like for different reasons. Asking “which is better” with any context around what type of game you are looking for is impossible to answer.

repeat playability - aiq

strategy - aiq

Challenge - layout wise sth, code wise aiq

overall fun - depends

#13 2 years ago

I've owned a STh Premium and a AIQ Pro. I had more fun with my STh (Pro would be almost as fun).

#14 2 years ago

I own AIQ Premium and STh Pro. They are very different games and I like both for different reasons and I don't expect to have either leaving probably ever.

I really don't understand the AIQ has no soul comment. Everything about the game is bringing the avengers together to battle the black order and thanos. As a comic fan this is Avengers and I love it. I have the movie music and some other edits I did on mine but even without them I love the game. I find it a LOT easier than STh though. I've beaten AIQ several times just not with all the stones yet. People complain about the gems but you can completely ignore them and the various strategies and still beat the game. I've owned it since Sept and I still don't really "use" the gems. The computer can also be ignored but for a home user there are some good strategies with it. Game times are quite long on it for me which can make it a one and done game. After 45-50 minutes I'm ready for a break but I loved every minute of it. I find some of the shots to be harder on STh than AIQ as AIQ is an absolute flow monster especially with the marvel ramp on the premium. The pro without the marvel ramp looses a lot of that flow.

STh with the cleland image is very immersive and is my absolute favorite game. I have owned it since the month it was released and it has also been incredibly frustrating. Setup is complex to get right where as AIQ I've done very little. With STh I've had to modify the demogorgon so that shot is makeable, tweak ball guides, cut springs for the mystery shot and quite a bit more. I've had nearly the entire playfield of STh torn down more times than I'd like to remember. Once dialed in though it is a super fun game and very deep. Much deeper than AIQ IMHO. I have yet to beat STh but it's not really my goal. I love playing the modes and there are a ton so I don't time anything out. One day I'll get there and it will be epic.

#15 2 years ago

You can’t go wrong with either. Very different both amazing so I’d go by your theme preference.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Asking “which is better” with any context around what type of game you are looking for is impossible to answer.

The context is "which do YOU prefer?" They asked for YOUR opinion of which YOU like better and for an explanation of why you have that preference. If the question had been, "which will I like better?" then you would have a point.

I prefer asking for opinions this way as well. I can get a better idea of what my preference would be by hearing a lot of other people talk about their own preferences in their own contexts rather than trying to paint a picture of my context with a bunch of "I want it for these reasons, to be played in this setting, by these people, who will be in these moods when they play, for this length of session, etc." My brain would go extremely ADHD and I'd spend days trying to get the description exactly right. Just tell me what you like and why and *I* will do the translation from your context to my own context myself. Please and thank you.

#17 2 years ago

Stranger Things = fun with the uv kit and random upside down mode it’s the cherry on top. If you love Afm I personally think this is better, deeper and did I mentioned fun. Take a step back into the 80’s nostalgia.

#18 2 years ago

Aiq's rules are a mess of hot shit,not a big fan of sth but sth all day long.

#19 2 years ago

I never watched the show, but owned the game for a while. I wasn't a fan of the game. Probably because I hate kid shows (shows with kids as the main cast), so the clips of the kids got on my nerves after a bit.

Fun, but basic gameplay in my opinion. Traded it for Avengers, which was the best trade I made in a while based on gameplay alone.

#20 2 years ago

I've been renting AIQ Pro for almost two months, and I've only playted Sth Prem on location with UV kit, but I've played it quite a bit.

My non-pinball family prefers Sth by a mile. It's approachable, the shots are pretty clear and it has some fun things. I'm not a rules expert on it, but it's pretty understandable on it's own after awhile. I don't find it particularly fun to shoot and there are several bits that annoy me. I don't like the right shot to the pops at all. I don't like the saucer on the left. It just doesn't feel great. It's a solid game that other people love, but it feels clunky at times to me and none of the shots really feel awesome to make.

I had to watch a tutorial on AIQ to really understand the game, but it's actually also very straightforward to 'just play', with thousands of strategies you can employ for scoring if you're good enough. The combo possibilities on AIQ are very, very fun for me. The feed from the Captain Marvel shot is kinda dicey as is out of the pops at times. Outside of that, it's fun to shoot.

As a 'just ok' pinball player, something about AIQ isn't "super fun" and I can't quite put my finger on what it is. I will play it, and sometimes I'll have very good games. But, it never calls me to play it like other games. There's just something about the way the rules are structured (I think) that doesn't hit that reward center of the brain for me that I ever really feel accomplished or SO CLOSE that I want to play again. It's just flat. The only sense of excitement or tension is in the Hulk gamma ray shot and it's not even worth shooting that 99% of the time. Soul Gem tension could be ratched up for a better experience as could the tension in all the modes when you get close to finishing them. With a few tweaks, it could be pretty addictive.

For me, neither game would have a permanent home with me. I've had fun learning and shooting AIQ, but I'm not extending my rental past two months. A really good game on AIQ can easily take an hour. However, most games are done in about a minute. It's the brutalist easy to shoot game I've ever seen.

If I had to pick from the two sitting next to each other at a bar, and I only could play one, one time. It'd be Stranger Things all day. I'm more likely to have a fun game and experience the same stuff. At home on free play where I can explore and take my time, I'd take AIQ.

#21 2 years ago

I owned an AIQ Premium and currently own a Stranger Things Pro. I have way more fun with Stranger Things and ended up selling AIQ recently. You can read about AIQ, but, in my opinion, it lacks some soul. There’s just an intangible that it is missing.

#22 2 years ago

Neither

#23 2 years ago

Kinda summarize what others have went into length on....what do you get enjoyment out of more...shots or environment immersion? Wife and I played both when we first started playing a little heavily (before buying our AIQ), and we only got a couple of games on STh before ditching it. Reason we bought AIQ was because of the satisfaction of the shots. They all feel soooo good and buttery (if calibrated properly b/c that game is picky on having everything working as it should). We tried STh a couple of times afterwards and still couldnt get into it.

I think the "soul" people refer to is that it feels too...militaristic? Sure some callouts are snarky but nothing really sarcastic. All the cheers, insults, etc feel too straightforward. We recently started playing IMDN and have already implemented Satan's "oh no" callout into our own banter. My wife didnt think she'd like it more than AIQ, but now shes starting to debate. A little off topic with IMDN, but just a reference on what people prefer in game experience. IMDN in this case feels better to get enjoyment out of, but shots still dont feel as good as AIQ.

#24 2 years ago

I have a STh pro & AIQ premium in my lineup and love both games for different reasons. To keep this basic…I believe STh will draw in the non hardcore pinball people because of the Demogorgon modes are just a few bash hits away(drop targets)from starting it and it makes you feel like you actually did something in the game and this is a good thing. The music and light show is also one of the best out there and you get that just for hitting the start button. Do basically you get a few great feelings that are really close to the start button. I love STh and have completed it a few times but I still like playing it. Now AIQ will probably be best appreciated by more skillful players IMHO. AIQ is probably the best/smoothest shooting pin I’ve played with some of the best combo options to keep the ball rolling but this takes shot accuracy and most new pinball players just don’t have that skill yet. The other thing that really shines on AIQ is the game strategy and this is the part that keeps me coming back for more. You can play and score on this pin from so many different ways (gem quest, drops, combos, multiballs)and sprinkle in how the gems change the way you attack each shot and man you get a different game strategy all the time that’s totally under your control. I agree the sounds and video are a bit lacking but when I want to shoot awesome ramps and dive into a great strategic que I push start on AIQ. You can’t go wrong with either game but keep in mind one may fit your skills better than the other.

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I own AIQ Premium and STh Pro. They are very different games and I like both for different reasons and I don't expect to have either leaving probably ever.

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from nicoy3k:

Asking “which is better” with any context around what type of game you are looking for is impossible to answer.

I wasn't asking for advice on what game I would like or was looking for.

In fact, I deliberately refrained from providing my personal biases so I could make my own conclusions from the comments of why people like one over the other.

Your last reply didn't offer any clarity of your preference of AIQ over STh.

I appreciate your input, but you could just have said " I voted for AIQ in the poll." You provided no reason why STh lacks or why AIQ prevails. Still, okay to know.

Detailed comments provide better information. The poll is really just a tally.

#27 2 years ago

This is an interesting matchup and the answer is... it depends.

AIQ is the better choice for a better than average player. It has more code, more depth, more strategy, and is the type of game you will never beat. Stranger Things is more approachable and better for a casual/average pinball player. It has more/better assets, but the art package on the game itself is far behind AIQ (how many panel vans can you find on the playfield)? If you have kids, 100% AIQ even though it will be too deep for them.

I had an AIQ LE on a temporary trade in my basement for 4 months. I got it in thinking how awesome it was but I hated it after about 3 days. Stranger Things I always throw a few quarters in on location.

Buy AIQ If You Prefer:
Deep rules
Difficult Shots
Amazing playfield art.

Buy Stranger Things if you prefer:
More assets on the screen,
Simpler and more approachable rules
Wider shots

They are both decent games, but I would think that your AVERAGE pinball buyer/player would get more enjoyment from playing Stranger Things.

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from Sleal16:

I think the "soul" people refer to is that it feels too...militaristic?

I made a reference to AIQ lacking “soul”. Again, it’s a good if not great game. Awesome layout, great shots. However, nothing felt that special about it. For example, you can hit a mini wizard mode and barely know you are even there. Compare that to say an EHoH when mini wizard modes were pronounced with a change in mood or music. They were really cool. Again, it’s just personal preference. I really enjoyed owning AIQ, but it wasn’t a long term keeper for me.

#29 2 years ago

I think the question to ask is do you want to play a story/mode adventure type pin? I feel like sth puts you into the tv series. Avengers does have some great shots but I personally don’t find it fun like Sth. I also compare Sth to Totan but way deeper where you are on a quest. Art wise the uv art is second to none. Avengers can’t touch it. Its unique. Avengers is not.

#30 2 years ago

27dnast Nope, both will leave when I die

#31 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

This is an interesting matchup and the answer is... it depends.
AIQ is the better choice for a better than average player. It has more code, more depth, more strategy, and is the type of game you will never beat. Stranger Things is more approachable and better for a casual/average pinball player. It has more/better assets, but the art package on the game itself is far behind AIQ (how many panel vans can you find on the playfield)? If you have kids, 100% AIQ even though it will be too deep for them.
I had an AIQ LE on a temporary trade in my basement for 4 months. I got it in thinking how awesome it was but I hated it after about 3 days. Stranger Things I always throw a few quarters in on location.
Buy AIQ If You Prefer:
Deep rules
Difficult Shots
Amazing playfield art.
Buy Stranger Things if you prefer:
More assets on the screen,
Simpler and more approachable rules
Wider shots
They are both decent games, but I would think that your AVERAGE pinball buyer/player would get more enjoyment from playing Stranger Things.

I've beaten AIQ twice and I'm just an average player. My wife prefers AIQ over STh. I've been surprised how much she plays it.

#32 2 years ago

I've beaten AIQ twice and I'm just an average player. My wife prefers AIQ over STh. I've been surprised how much she plays it.

It's all relative. I'm knocking myself down to a below average player if you are average and have beaten it.

#33 2 years ago

27dnast Nope, both will leave when I die

What do I get when you sell one? (And, no, an invitation to your funeral isn’t acceptable)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 8.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 34.00
$ 16.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 27.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walnutport, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 29.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Newnan, GA
$ 15.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 30.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aiq-pro-vs-sth-pro?hl=brewinbombers and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.