78%
  • AIQ premium 20 votes
    22%

(92 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1155 (resized).jpeg
#1 10 months ago

Looks like you can get them both for around $7500. Which one would you prefer and why? I have only played aiq premium and loved the captain marvel ramp. I owned a twd pro and miss it.

#2 10 months ago

TWD Premium. Easy choice.

Nothing against AIQ. It’s a phenomenal shooter, but the code is not awesome for me. I’m iffy on the art, I think it’s ZY’s weakest effort.

Code on TWD is perfect, but the art is brown and also not awesome. Toys and mechs are fun.

I’ve owned TWD Pro and Premium and played AIQ extensively. TWD Premium wins for me.

#3 10 months ago

TWD is arguably one of the best and Lyman’s best of all time. Avengers is probably the least popular Elwin game. Hell I’d take TWD pro over avengers premium all day long.

#4 10 months ago

TWD easily. Avengers is ruined by the software. Elwin did his job. Zombie yeti did his job. Then the people who put software on that machine just effed it all up after that (i dont mean just the rules). The sounds/callout outs/music are shit. The "animations" on screen are some of the most dissappinting ever... like Aerosmith is better. The rules are merely okay, but it's no Lyman.

If you just looked at the games turned off and knew nothing about the code, you'd swear it would be Avengers by a landslide.

With completely, utterly different software, and I mean change EVERYTHING, Avengers could be incredible.

#5 10 months ago

AIQ!

Best ramps in pinball. Best shooter.

Deep rule set. A worthy challenge to get all six gems.

Owning the game will improve YOUR game.

And if you don’t like what’s on the video screen, get the movie mod. Big improvement over Stern’s animations, IMO.

#6 10 months ago

TWD owned twice

The super hero stuff nah

#7 10 months ago

TWD is my favorite Stern game. It's very underrated. Best code in pinball.

#8 10 months ago

You could probably buy TWD Prem, keep it for a year, then sell it and buy a AIQ and have a few dollars left over. You probably couldn't do the reverse. Get you TWD Prem and plan on selling/trading it into the 2024 Holiday season for something different.

#9 10 months ago

TWD for me, even though I wanted to burn that game to the ground more times than I could count! "Hardest" game I've ever owned. I had a Pro and had always thought I'd want to give a premium a go, but as the years go by and my patience wanes, I'd go pro. As much as I like spinners and the extra drop the Premium offers, the additional magnet and the crossbow slows things down too much for me. TWD is a masterpiece. I've also owned a AIQ and it was the premium, for the sole purpose of the Captain Marvel shot it is worth owning, I've never met an Elwin pin I didn't love and that CM shot is probably the most satisfying shot in all of pinball for me. I'd have AIQ back as well, but only the premium, even though the portal lock is a flow killer, the CM shot makes up for it.

#10 10 months ago

TWD premium is just perfection. I should've never sold mine.

#11 10 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

TWD premium is just perfection. I should've never sold mine.

I’m glad you did, even the cats love it!

IMG_1155 (resized).jpegIMG_1155 (resized).jpeg
#12 10 months ago

Depends on what you want in a game. I have both, but they are both pros.

If you want a deeper rule set, longer ball times and more flow, go AIQ. If you want to get slapped in the face and drug through the mud even when you do make a shot, go TWD. If you do go TWD, just try not to kick in the coin door.

Both are really good games, but I really don’t think they compare as fas as playability.

#13 10 months ago

If you wanna hear the most uninspired callouts in pinball history, AIQ is your game. The most flat, unenthusiastic callouts from people trying to get you hyped up I've ever heard. I couldn't tell much difference between like 4 of them. Tony Stark, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and even the announcer all sounded like damn near the same guy.

#14 10 months ago

I'm a MASSIVE AIQ fan. The strategery, layout, ball busting; it's all so fantastic.

Buy come on...TWD is top 5 all time machine.

#15 10 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If you wanna hear the most uninspired callouts in pinball history, AIQ is your game. The most flat, unenthusiastic callouts from people trying to get you hyped up I've ever heard. I couldn't tell much difference between like 4 of them. Tony Stark, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye and even the announcer all sounded like damn near the same guy.

Who hurt you?

#16 10 months ago

Chalk up another vote for TWD.

#17 10 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

Who hurt you?

My only really issue with it is the voices are similar & it can be confusing a bit. They also aren't loud enough in places, but that's not the actors issue.

#18 10 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

My only really issue with it is the voices are similar & it can be confusing a bit. They also aren't loud enough in places, but that's not the actors issue.

I think the game is amazing. It's not as good as twd but I love it. I never once expericed anger listening to the callouts. Must've never played X-Men before.

#19 10 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

Who hurt you?

If I'm paying $9500 dollars for a pinball machine, would it be okay for their animation to have more than ONE frame of animation? Just asking for a friend.

#20 10 months ago
Quoted from Doctor6:

If I'm paying $9500 dollars for a pinball machine, would it be okay for their animation to have more than ONE frame of animation? Just asking for a friend.

Maybe play a game you're spending $9500 for before buying it.

#21 9 months ago

Just to follow up…i bought a modded twd premium and am loving it so far! Thanks everyone that replied

#22 9 months ago

Great choice, I’ve never watched a TWD episode…just not a horror fan. That being said TWD premium is such a kick ass game..wish I could afford one.

#23 9 months ago

If I were going to own a Borg game, TWD would be my #1 choice.
If I were going to own an Elwin game, AIQ would place dead last on my list. Also I would pick TWD in terms of hardware, if SAM versus SPIKE figures into the equation at all. Something satisfying about being able to flip on a game and start flipping in less than 15 seconds.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#24 9 months ago

Interesting AIQ gets such love in the rankings yet i barely see anyone post they like playing it lol

TWD is a great game and i will also say SAM game are pretty awesome.

it also crushed AIQ in this poll

#25 9 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Interesting AIQ gets such love in the rankings yet i barely see anyone post they like playing it lol
TWD is a great game and i will also say SAM game are pretty awesome.
it also crushed AIQ in this poll

I really like the way AIQ shoots and the gameplay is fun. I really don’t even mind the relatively bland callouts and on-screen animations, as I think they mesh well with the theme and cabinet art.
But that game code is…definitely not for me.

#26 9 months ago
Quoted from MasterBlaster:

I really like the way AIQ shoots and the gameplay is fun

Im glad it has some positives for you. Im sure it does for many pinheads. Just odd Stern dipped back into the Avenger theme so quickly

i played one on route and was severely disappointed. (Not sure if was premium or pro) It was set up poorly and had no volume, complete fail.

#27 9 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

.. Just odd Stern dipped back into the Avenger theme so quickly

Hell they re-used the Avengers layout 2 years earlier!

#28 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Hell they re-used the Avengers layout 2 years earlier!

The AIQ layout? what game is that?

#29 9 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

The AIQ layout? what game is that?

No, Deadpool is basically the OG Avengers layout

#30 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

No, Deadpool is basically the OG Avengers layout

Hmmmm. i guess i never thought that and ive payed deadpool a bit (and i owned the Hulk OG Avengers)

the little deadpool 3 bank target/lock for multi seems diff now that im trying to think of it and didn't have that long left lane orbit shot for Hawkeye.

OG Avenger had a cool layout the code was very underwhelming/snore

#31 9 months ago
Quoted from centerflank:

OG Avenger had a cool layout the code was very underwhelming/snore

Yeah code was dreadful. The black Widow ramp was awful, but re-jiggered into Snikt is great.
Left orbit to low ramp/right flipper is the same.
It's not the exact same, its a Gomez update. Like BM66.

#32 9 months ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

The black Widow ramp was awful

i spent some hours leveling that up on game so it shot smooth and ball wouldn't get stuck where the piece lifted over hulk for multi ball......ah well, swing and a miss on that one.

it was satisfying as fuck to complete that widow shot though after that nonsense lol

by far the most tweaking i did on any NIB game i had bought. GOT premium a close second.

#33 9 months ago

I'm a fan of TWD pro and AIQ pro. Both are good examples of the pro being greater than the premium IMHO. Go pro and get both!!

#34 9 months ago

To each their own... AIQ really grew on me after studying the ruleset, watching tutorials on YouTube and practicing its shots. And the movie mod makes it a better overall game experience than the stock Stern code.

When I'm having a good game on AIQ it's a thrill ride. Heart is pounding. No other game does that.

And it's become my 10 yr old son's fav as well. Not because of the superhero theme, but because of how it shoots and it's deep/challenging ruleset.

Again, to each their own.

#35 9 months ago

I have had an AIQ premium for a couple years and a loaded TWD for many years. AIQ shoots great and I think it looks great too--ramps are awesome and has one of the coolest shots in pinball to me. The code is heavy and games can be long--that's why people criticize it. Problem is I consider TWD the GOAT. I would go pro over premium though--moving ramp is shaky and crossbow does not add anything. The code is the best in pinball IMO--Lyman's masterpiece. Great mechs and shots--tough/punishing game but nothing like it when you have a good game. Modes--wizard modes are outstanding.

#36 9 months ago
Quoted from grantopia:

I’m glad you did, even the cats love it!
[quoted image]

Off topic but I absolutely LOVE that TOS back glass replacement on your ST

#37 9 months ago

There are 4 Borg games from this era Iron-man, Tron, Metallica and TWD. Great designs, themes, code. I would dare say some of the best games ever. Borg also did Xmen at this time and most would say it was not as good as the others.

I think same about Elwins pins. He has a phenomenal span of games over a 6 year period, I own 3 games from Elwin but AIQ not his best game in my opinion.

#38 9 months ago
Quoted from henhonk:

Off topic but I absolutely LOVE that TOS back glass replacement on your ST

Thanks! Aurich did the work, I just bought it and installed it! I normally am not a huge fan of alternate translites but his ST and Shadow are must haves IMO.

#39 9 months ago

TWD Premium is better than the Pro, though I do like the red cabinet on the Pro. Sure, the moving ramp can sometimes rattle a bit on certain shots, but there are so many benefits. The battle magnet in front of the well walker is great, the addition of walker bombs is HUGE, and even that drop target added to the woodbury lane helps keep the ball on the playfield instead of yet another path to the pops. Then you have the cosmetics like the color changing GI and the fish tank. The crossbow is a welcome break in the action, imo, but can be dialed back or disabled if you really want. Pro is great too, but in no way superior. I got hooked on this game with a Premium.

#40 9 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

TWD Premium is better than the Pro, though I do like the red cabinet on the Pro. Sure, the moving ramp can sometimes rattle a bit on certain shots, but there are so many benefits. The battle magnet in front of the well walker is great, the addition of walker bombs is HUGE, and even that drop target added to the woodbury lane helps keep the ball on the playfield instead of yet another path to the pops. Then you have the cosmetics like the color changing GI and the fish tank. The crossbow is a welcome break in the action, imo, but can be dialed back or disabled if you really want. Pro is great too, but in no way superior. I got hooked on this game with a Premium.

i disagree, pro all day on twd.

#41 9 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

i disagree, pro all day on twd.

I've owned both and the premium is way better is every way.
Just curious in what way you find it better?

#42 9 months ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:i disagree, pro all day on twd.

There's only one small problem: lockdown bar button. You can say whatever you want about the pro being nifty, but the lockdown bar button is what makes that game's software shine. Case closed. It really sucks that you have to spend many hundreds more for this, but that's just a fact. If they had made both games have the lockdown bar button, I would probably agree with you that the premium isn't worth it. And yet, here we are.

#43 9 months ago
Quoted from Deez:

I've owned both and the premium is way better is every way.
Just curious in what way you find it better?

Not looking to change anyone’s mind but I find the pro is better for flow… extra magnet and crossbow just slows the game down for me. I prefer the pro’s bicycle girl ramp by a wide margin as well. Do I miss Walker bombs? Not really… honestly don’t. The light show with rgb lights is nice… I’m always down for spinners and usually I’d say more drop targets the merrier, but the one on the premium feels weird and abandoned to me. Give me the flow of the pro all day long. With that said if you and plenty of others think the premium is better… cool! Glad there are both and happy to hear about others preferences. To each their own.

#44 9 months ago

I own TWD pro and don’t have any experience with the Walker bomb button so I don’t really miss it. But I can see it would be hard to go from premium to pro if you were used to the Walker bombs.

I think the pro is smoother and simpler.

Too bad they never made a pro with the spinner and bomb. That would be the best of both.

#45 9 months ago
Quoted from rai:

I own TWD pro and don’t have any experience with the Walker bomb button so I don’t really miss it. But I can see it would be hard to go from premium to pro if you were used to the Walker bombs.
I think the pro is smoother and simpler.
Too bad they never made a pro with the spinner and bomb. That would be the best of both.

Yeah, this was back when Stern was trying to sell premiums with spinners. A friggin 3 dollar part omitted from pros like twd and metallica. Just crappy on their part.

1 week later
#46 9 months ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

TWD is my favorite Stern game. It's very underrated. Best code in pinball.

Got to spend some time on TWD last night. Played it more than previous visits to that arcade because so many on here highly recommended it. I agree it's a good shooter, good theme integration, funny call-outs, etc. Didn't like it more than AIQ but would prefer it over, say, EHoH.

I didn't get all that deep into its ruleset, though. Why is it the "best code in pinball?" I'll definitely play it again next Wednesday on league night. Would like to know how to approach it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Germantown, WI
$ 8,600.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

9,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
The Villages, FL
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Cabinet - Other
PinballGeek

$ 6.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 16.00
€ 48.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Kami's Pinball Parts

Machine - For Sale
Boston, MA
Playfield - Other
Lenticular Designs

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 22.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.