(Topic ID: 57025)

Ain't she a beaut! What's your reason???

By BigB

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 23 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by mario_1_up
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2013-01-10_17.38.30.jpg
Bronwyn.jpg
image.jpg
20130614_064346_zps4ae948dd.jpg
20130614_064104_zps12af591c.jpg
20130406_155023_zps2c9a0062.jpg
image.jpg
IMG_1585.JPG
IMG_20130713_220237_124.jpg
IMG_20130716_175131_250.jpg
IMG_20130716_175959_366.jpg
#1 10 years ago

My niece spent the day with me today. She is only 6 years old and I have her totally addicted to pinball!! She calls her shots, holds the ball with the flippers and knows how to change lanes to advance the scoring. She isn't just smacking the buttons! When I bought my house and built my game room, not only did I want to share my passion for pinball, but I also wanted a place where my children, nieces, nephews, and the neighborhood kids play and feel safe and have fun. If they are at my house, I know where they are and what they're doing. They aren't being tempted by the evils of this world. Anyway---What is your reason for your gameroom? Like I said, it's my passion for pinball and my desire to pass it on to the next generation of pinballers. Who knows... One of these neighborhood kids might just be the next Ritchie or Lawlor?? Big B

IMG_20130716_175959_366.jpgIMG_20130716_175959_366.jpg IMG_20130716_175131_250.jpgIMG_20130716_175131_250.jpg IMG_20130713_220237_124.jpgIMG_20130713_220237_124.jpg

#2 10 years ago

This is totally great to see, can't wait until my son and my niece are old enough to play them.

#3 10 years ago

Great niece, and great pins for her to play. Thanks for sharing!

#4 10 years ago

A gathering place for family and friends = goal of the ultimate family room (kids are 34 and 38, grown and gone), place to come back and play. Occasional man cave use very secondary.

#5 10 years ago

Same here.
This was taken just last week at my place.
The little boy on the chair had just burned his right hand on a BBQ pit last week and had it wrapped up. My son is playing the right flipper for him. He had a blast.

IMG_1585.JPGIMG_1585.JPG

#6 10 years ago

awesome to see my 5 year old and 11 year old love playing pins, it's a good family moment, pity my older sons don't there more into Xbox and playstation......

#7 10 years ago

It's sad do many young people won't broaden their horizons. I used to like video games but now they just feel like one big cutscene most of the time.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from brent149:

It's sad do many young people won't broaden their horizons. I used to like video games but now they just feel like one big cutscene most of the time.

I used to feel the same way when I was a kid. I was hooked on video games and only played the occasional pinball machine. Now it's just the opposite.

#9 10 years ago

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: My wife, 10-year-old daughter, family and friends couldn't possibly care less about my pins. After years and years of sharing and trying to get folks turned onto them, I gave up a couple years ago and just stopped trying.

Lonely arcade is lonely.

You guys are so lucky.

#10 10 years ago

Nice stories.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I've mentioned this before, but it bears repeating: My wife, 10-year-old daughter, family and friends couldn't possibly care less about my pins. After years and years of sharing and trying to get folks turned onto them, I gave up a couple years ago and just stopped trying.
Lonely arcade is lonely.
You guys are so lucky.

Sorry to hear that. My wife was not happy with my first purchase, but after we got it and she saw how addicted the kids were, she started playing and now she is just as hooked as the rest of them!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

Lonely arcade is lonely.
You guys are so lucky.

I know that feeling...

#14 10 years ago

Same reason as OP...keep my kids in sight and have fun doing it. We are blessed to have a lot of fun with it and as soon as my kids' friends come over, the pins are the first thing to be played with. It makes it worth the $1000's I've spent and will continue to spend on them.

#15 10 years ago

My gameroom is finally a reality because I've always liked pinball and never had room before I got my "big house" about a year ago. I found a house with a finished basement perfect for a gameroom and theater, and I've got a husband who is totally ok with me doing stupid things like putting up accent LED lights and painting the fireplace lime green to make an actual gameroom atmosphere. As soon as we'd moved in and settled, I hunted down my first pin. Little did I know that it would cause my parents to go pinball crazy and help me procure 7 more (we already had the EM in their garage for years) in the next year. There are no pins in the wild around me, so whatever we own or can find in private homes is basically what we get to play. I love working on them, playing them, cleaning them, etc. Husband was never allowed to play pins when he was young and there haven't been any around us for 15 years, and he caught the fever pretty fast once we got them in the house. My mom and I used to go pin hunting/playing when I was younger, so it is fond memories and still a family passion these days. I've got 6, she's got 3, and we go back/forth to each house playing. Any time they come over to my house now, they want to have a little tournament. I've got a prize bin full of little stuff they can win kept in a closet now just in case.

Fatsquatch... (insert creepy Shining kids voice here...) come play with us. You know my parents are insane around pinball and will glady challenge you on Frankenseizure, and you still need to check out Spidey. And bring your daughter if you think she'll play Gofers. I'm busy this weekend trying to sell off stock from job #2 that I just quit, then I'll have many more weekends open after that. We'll have to do a pin crawl around town one day if you're up for it.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Fatsquatch... (insert creepy Shining kids voice here...) come play with us. You know my parents are insane around pinball and will glady challenge you on Frankenseizure, and you still need to check out Spidey. And bring your daughter if you think she'll play Gofers. I'm busy this weekend trying to sell off stock from job #2 that I just quit, then I'll have many more weekends open after that. We'll have to do a pin crawl around town one day if you're up for it.

I'm totally up for it, and now that I've finished up that big gig I had at the Dental office in Alabama, I can maybe get out and about for some leisure time.

Since Gofers is the only pin that my daughter actually has any sort of interest in, I might can get her to tag along. Although, if she does, she's likely to play it for five minutes and forever be done with it. *le sigh*

(And you guys still need to get some serious time on this AC/DC Premium I have before I trade it for a Raven.)

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

(And you guys still need to get some serious time on this AC/DC Premium I have before I trade it for a Raven.)

Don't trade it for a Raven without letting me try to buy it from you first! I want one so bad I can taste it. Even bought the topper from Laserific for it even thou I don't have the pin yet. I stare at it unlit and just imagine what it must look like all lit up on top of the machine. Someday I'll get to see it. Just won't be this day!

#18 10 years ago

I build my gameroom for me and my buddies to hang out and take part in all the evils of the world!

... in reality my house just sort of became the drinking spot so friday and saturday nights people just show up here and get wasted.

#19 10 years ago
Quoted from BigB:

Don't trade it for a Raven without letting me try to buy it from you first!

I don't know, man...the pull of Raven is so strong. Surely you understand that.

Quoted from BigB:

I want one so bad I can taste it. Even bought the topper from Laserific for it even thou I don't have the pin yet. I stare at it unlit and just imagine what it must look like all lit up on top of the machine. Someday I'll get to see it. Just won't be this day!

Are they still available NIB?

#20 10 years ago

Now now, surely you can hold off for a trade for something a little better like a Tee'd Off. Thats kinda like Gofers, right?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

Now now, surely you can hold off for a trade for something a little better like a Tee'd Off. Thats kinda like Gofers, right?

Ugh.

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

painting the fireplace lime green

#23 10 years ago

Hey Scooter...

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#24 10 years ago

I don't really have a "Game Room" in this house because I just don't have the room. We are currently house hunting it is a prerequisite. My kids love my games though. My daughter just turned 6 and my son will be 5 in September. They don't seem to have a favorite between pinball or video games. I have a PS3 but my kids don't play it. My arcade restorations so far have been Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 which I don't let them play so for now I built them a bartop mame which they love. I have a full upright mame I am working on for a co-worker which will help fund my next pin but until I get into another house I am kinda on hold.

My biggest goal is to provide a place that my kids want to bring their friends to. If they are in my house, I know what they are doing. So far all the kids that have come over seem to like my STTNG pin the most so that is encouraging. My friend brought his twin 8 year olds over to play Mortal Kombat and they all ended up on STTNG never went back to the vids.

20130406_155023_zps2c9a0062.jpg20130406_155023_zps2c9a0062.jpg 20130614_064104_zps12af591c.jpg20130614_064104_zps12af591c.jpg 20130614_064346_zps4ae948dd.jpg20130614_064346_zps4ae948dd.jpg

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from Fatsquatch:

I don't know, man...the pull of Raven is so strong. Surely you understand that.

Are they still available NIB?

Yes, they are still available NIB. I just can't afford the NIB price. Hince the problem.

#26 10 years ago

I collect and have a gameroom primarily due to my passion for games and collecting.
Secondly it was to have friends and family over for food, drinks and entertainment.
I would rather be in the comfort of my home to relax and have fun with friends than to go out somewhere and not know what to expect.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from brad808:

I build my gameroom for me and my buddies to hang out and take part in all the evils of the world!
... in reality my house just sort of became the drinking spot so friday and saturday nights people just show up here and get wasted.

Thats what Im hoping to have happen lol

#28 10 years ago

My reason is that basements are for recrooms, and good recrooms have a bar and fun stuff. If you want to sit and chat, go upstairs. If you want to watch tv, go upstairs. If you want to drink beer, scotch, and play pinball, this is the place.

3 weeks later
#29 10 years ago

it does brighten it up!

1 week later
#30 10 years ago

Getting advice on what to shoot next on TSPP from my niece

Bronwyn.jpgBronwyn.jpg

#31 10 years ago

Poop, blonde, just the other day, you "only" had 5. Now it's six? I am at 5 so now I have to get another one. Maybe it'll be a JP just like your "first."

#32 10 years ago

Since arcades are pretty much dead, I wanted a space I could relive the childhood that I loved and be immersed in that environment. I want my kids to experience it too and I fear that those opportunities will be few and far between by the time they are old enough. I don't even need to be playing games, I just like to be in the gameroom.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Since arcades are pretty much dead, I wanted a space I could relive the childhood that I loved and be immersed in that environment. I want my kids to experience it too and I fear that those opportunities will be few and far between by the time they are old enough. I don't even need to be playing games, I just like to be in the gameroom.

Me too!

#34 10 years ago

My son playing some pins

#35 10 years ago

Sorry didn't load.

2013-01-10_17.38.30.jpg2013-01-10_17.38.30.jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Ogden, UT
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aint-she-a-beaut-whats-your-reason and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.