Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Miknan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

So I pulled the ribbon cables out of my JM to test something on another machine. Then I reinstalled cables.

Flipped the machine on. The DMD filled it's pixels with lights, the machine buzzed... and then: NOTHING. dead.

I took the backglass off... flipped the power on again... no signs of booting up. No lights...

I did a quick check of the fuses, they all seem to be fine.

This depressed dude needs a little hand holding.

#2 5 years ago

Had that happen the other day. One of the ribbon cables was not on properly.

#3 5 years ago

Did you get the ribbon cables back in red stripe pin one each end ? And not off a row ?

LTG : )

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you get the ribbon cables back in red stripe pin one each end ? And not off a row ?

Yeah what he said!

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'm not sure. Does it matter which end the red stripe matches with?

I marked them before I pulled them out to make sure their orientation on the board would be the same... I don't think anything changed. When I turned the machine on, it had power. DMD lit up with a bunch of crazy dots, then the buzz sound followed. So I flipped it off to take a look.

I checked fuses, then took off each ribbon cable and reseated them. Flipped the power back on. Nothing happens. No lights on the boards, no sound. Completely dead

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I'm not sure. Does it matter which end the red stripe matches with?

Does it matter if you hurt your game ?

Your call.

#7 5 years ago

Pin 1 is where the Red stripe should be, on both ends. Don't assume it is pin 1 because it is on the left side either. Look for the number 1 on the PCB board. Also don't assume your fuses are good because they look okay. Take them out and do a continuity test with a multi-meter.

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Does it matter if you hurt your game ?
Your call.

Of course!

#9 5 years ago

Okay... I think I may have found the issue.

The Line Fuse is blown.

In the JM manual... it says that the Line Filter for a domestic game is 8A, N.B.

The fuse I pulled out is a 250 Volt, 4 A "L"

That's all that it says on it.

My read on this is that the wrong fuse is in there? Also... can someone educate me a little on what "N.B." stands for and "L"? Should I replace with the same kind of fuse (250V, 4A L) or do I need to get something else? Some specifics would be cool..

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

My read on this is that the wrong fuse is in there? Also... can someone educate me a little on what "N.B." stands for and "L"? Should I replace with the same kind of fuse (250V, 4A L) or do I need to get something else? Some specifics would be cool..

N B - normal blow
L - no idea

Put an 8 in there, over seas in a 240 volt country it had a 4 a ( maybe two ? )

#11 5 years ago

Roger that!

#12 5 years ago

Alright... looks like I brought Johnny back from flatline. Thanks for all of the input.

#13 5 years ago

The ONLY way to check fuses is with a DMM and do a continuity test as mentioned above.

#14 5 years ago

I did the EXACT same thing after replacing all my ribbon cables with new ones. I put the old ones on and I had power back except the flippers didn't work at all. I reseated all connectors at least 3 times and it didn't help. I was sure I bent a pin or something. I friend who knows pinball machines 1000 x better than me looked and in ten seconds saw I had one connector off a pin or something. He reattached it and it worked.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 47.00
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 399.95

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside