Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 29 posts
  • 19 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by swampfire
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

resto.jpg
    Heavy_Relic_Surf_Green.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

I actually do this as a matter of routine-

I like EM games, I dislike EM games with freshly painted sanded bright white cabinets.

One bit of warning if your considering going this route. Its a crap ton of work to restore an old cabinet and keep the paint. I literally spent 20+ hours going over a 1973 Gottlieb King Pin cabinet that was SEVERELY yellowed, using magic eraser and isopropanol to sand through the top coat of yellow to reveal aged looking but bright colors. I then hit it with clear coat, filled in all the dings and dents with a filler designed to work this way, sanded it back, and now have a long process with an air brush to fix all the spots missing paint (or that are now filler), and will finally have to re-splatter the cabinet by masking all the color and touching up the white regions (its not white, but its no longer obviously yellow) that I ended up removing the splatter coat when sanding down the yellow.

Its a lot of work, but its fun, and I can tell you- the finished product is really really cool- its completely retro, aged, appropriate, but shiny new at the same time. Worth it? No way, unless its what you want- and I do.

The big reason I don't like spraying new stencils, is the PLAY FIELD is NOT white on any of these 45 year old games, so to my eye, having an beautiful aged play field in a spankin new bright white cabinet just looks wrong-

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rufessor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aged-style-restoration?tu=rufessor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.