• Topic is favorited by 14 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
8_close (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from LargemouthAss:

I am an audiophile.

For some reason I cringe when I hear this as an opening statement...but your post is very good and very honest.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

F14 is a great example.
The sound is distorted with a 1khz peak, so it sounds like you are hearing it through an old military radio.
That's how it was recorded, so better speakers are not going to make it sound like a philharmonic

A better enhancement for F14 is a used flea market external sub - if you like explosions.

8 months later
#53 4 years ago

I know this thread is old. ... but wanted to mention that I've used a Speaker Line In to RCA level converter (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S8W7BRQ/) along with an old 5.1 surround amp to do some fairly ridiculous sound improvements. I'm talking about Bally / WMS DMD games and DE/Sega/Stern only here although this would work fine on anything previous to Spike and JJP I suppose.
I kept nothing in game - literally moving the sound completely out of the game with small satellite speakers on stands and pointing to the player and a big booming powered sub on the floor. The amp took the mono signal and created a surround simulation likely based upon the frequencies coming into it. I tweaked the amp through all kinds of timing delays, echos, and presets. I re-positioned speakers until I felt like it was the most immersive. When connected to TRON - it was nothing short of amazing. LOTR the same. It was good enough to remove the stock speaker connections entirely and just let this amp and speakers take over. With a lineup in that room of 18 machines playing a tournament with a lot of games around the player, each person mentioned that TRON was the clearest sounding game among the lineup - and only the sub being disruptive. This was due to the speakers being very directional and pointed at an average person's right and left ears. The drawback was rear surrounds which were not triggered enough by the amp's simulation to earn the mess of wiring required to put them behind the player.

So this mod cost me about $10 for the line converter (really $0 since I already had it) and using recycled old surround sound equipment that I couldn't sell in a garage sale for $50.

#54 4 years ago

I have to disagree with this post..... While I don't think the chage is huge I do feel it makes a difference.

I personally never buy the high end kits . I buy the least expensive one . I think they are like 80 buck from FF. All the back box speakers are the same which is what makes the most improvement.

I pick and choose the games I put them in and IMDN, AC DC, and Met will all have them in eventually.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 64.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Lermods

$ 1.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Fuzz

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com

16,500 (OBO)
$ 29.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 299.99
Cabinet - Other
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aftermarket-speaker-kits-not-worth-it/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.