2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by PaulCoff
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).png
    14633594_10207561368173127_1707512874729350673_o (resized).jpg

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 2 years ago

Stole the Show-
    Dialed In. Like the pricing, name, and artwork, or not, this was overwhelmingly what everyone at the show wanted to play. There's no doubt that if one game stole the show it was Dialed In. I, and about 90% of my clients and people I've talked to are out because of the price, but it did play very well. I can't imagine this won't be an incredibly fun and deep game when finished.

The fact that JJP got not one, but five, fully playable games to the show deserves a standing ovation in and of itself. Add to that, the fact that they all played non-stop all week, and JJP's entire crew deserve massive props for a great showing.

Alien-
    This is the game I'm most excited about. The theme, the toys, the swappability, I can't wait to play this when it's done. The games at the show played, but weren't fully functional and had some issues that needed to be worked on a lot. Still can't wait to get mine though.

Houdini-
    A lit playfield on a table? Really?

BM66-
    Pretty. $15K; insanity.

P3 and P-ROC Custom Games-
    If it wasn't for Dialed In, these guys would have stole the show like they do every year.

JJ in aT-Rex Costume-
    Crazy f#©k!!

The Hotel-
    The average attendee doesn't see how poorly the vendors, game movers, and show helpers are treated. After doing this at this hotel since the first year Expo was there, it's become very obvious to me that the hotel so doesn't want us there.

The front end staff are very pleasant and mostly accommodating, but just take a walk through the back halls and you'll see how quickly that changes. As an example, loading games to the hall is only allowed through the service halls. However, the halls are overflowing with chairs, carts, tables, and restaurant and serving equipment, so moving anything, especially large, heavy, unwealdly, arcade games is a challenge at best.

In Closing-
    I've said it many times, Expo is my favorite show in the country. The friends, the people, the reveals, the great food, the buzz and excitement of the industry. No show can match it. I don't want to be a vendor any longer, but I'll always be excited to partake in the festivities.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics
    http://www.LockWhenLit.com
    Quality Board Work - In Home Service
    borygard at gmail dot com

#2 2 years ago

And Dialed In continues to ride the wave. 30 (and counting) Pinside threads so far.

God save us.

#3 2 years ago

I agree, I was going to start a poll; "Should I Start Another Dialed-In Thread", but thought better of it.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

I don't want to be a vendor any longer, but I'll always be excited to partake in the festivities.
    --
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

I've talked to others who may not be involved next year, Rob, and I have to say, if enough of my friends don't go, there's no reason for me to either.

I take it I'll see you in Texas. I'll just say, if someone wants to see how a show should be run Ed and his team do an amazing job.

#5 2 years ago

fully agree Rob!

I look forward to next year when we can hang more and you are just enjoying the fun rather than working the show!

#6 2 years ago

Rob,

Thanks for this honest, to-the-point, write-up. I didn't attend expo this year (for the first time in 4 years), but enjoyed witnessing the hype from afar. Visiting you and Taro is one of the things I missed most. Hope to see you around another show before too long.

Sincerely,
    Ryan

#7 2 years ago

I enjoyed the show, lots of games in the game hall, was surprised with JJP's 5 machines. That was awesome!!!
    Getting to chill with guys I met from last year. Always enjoy strolling through Robs room!! I agree 15k for a pinball machine and it does not drive me to work, no thanks! Guess that only appeals to the rich folk! Give me a good sys 11 any day. Maybe a Hobbit in a couple years.
    As far as the show goes, Last year I got to come and help unload and set up machines. Thanks Troy!!! And yes it did not seem like there was very much room in the halls to accommodate machines going to and fro! I don't know much when it comes to setting up and running shows and all that is involved in setting times for speakers and release party's. Maybe it's time for a new venue, there is bound to be some where we can have all this fun with less hassle!

#8 2 years ago

To be fair, the Westin in Wheeling was just coming out of bankruptcy with a new owner when Expo was first held there. They were hungry for business and welcomed any CONvention they could book. If they are busy with convention and meeting space rental, they may not need Expo.

Most hotel back of house areas resemble whorehouses with all kinds of stuff stored haphazardly. It's standard protocol.

#9 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Most hotel back of house areas resemble whorehouses with all kinds of stuff stored haphazardly.

Is THAT what they look like?

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from RyanClaytor:

Is THAT what they look like?

Yes, that's what a friend told me....

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

Yes, that's what a friend told me....

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

Stole the Show-

In Closing-
    I've said it many times, Expo is my favorite show in the country. The friends, the people, the reveals, the great food, the buzz and excitement of the industry. No show can match it. I don't want to be a vendor any longer, but I'll always be excited to partake in the festivities.

Nice to read that you will return.

Hopefully we can drop off boards to you at the show, and you can ship them back to us.

#13 2 years ago

Glad you want to partake in the festivities. You and Taro will likely have more fun that way.

LTG : )

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I take it I'll see you in Texas. I'll just say, if someone wants to see how a show should be run Ed and his team do an amazing job.

Couldn't agree more. Ed and crew put on one hell of a show! And the hotel doesn't treat us like second class citizens. Well mostly...if you use their luggage carts to wheel in 400 pounds of beer, they seem to take drastic action. Looking forward to it again.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

To be fair, the Westin in Wheeling was just coming out of bankruptcy with a new owner when Expo was first held there...

And new management since, which is when they turned assholeish. They like the cash though, as they keep signing new contracts for the show.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from Borygard:

And the hotel doesn't treat us like second class citizens.

Yes they seem happy to have us. Free breakfast buffet with your room. Snacks and cash bar in the afternoon.

Can't wait until next year. 5 months or so, here we come. Already got my room.

LTG : )

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from scott_freeman:

Nice to read that you will return.
    Hopefully we can drop off boards to you at the show, and you can ship them back to us.

Absolutely! I'm not going you stop what I do, as I love doing it too much. Just hate dealing with the hotel and organizer of Expo, and it's costing me too much in financial terms and sanity. Bringing me boards at Expo for shipping back when I'm done works just fine.

Doing others shows is awesome, and I'll continue setting up at them. Don't want it to sound like I'm fed up with shows in general, I'm not, just Expo.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#18 2 years ago

All I care about is is Taro Still going to come? Lets face it we like Him better then you!

JJ

#19 2 years ago

Hopefully you will still vendor at MGC, you know, for a strategic mid-show sit down or an ad-hoc wrestling match.

-c

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gexchange:

All I care about is is Taro Still going to come? Lets face it we like Him better then you!
    JJ

Come into the room a little further with that costume and Taro would have gone medieval on you!

#21 2 years ago

This thread needs more Taro...

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

14633594_10207561368173127_1707512874729350673_o (resized).jpg

#22 2 years ago

Apache says hello! Lol

image (resized).png

#23 2 years ago

I have learned that JJP is getting closer and closer to build me my 'i must have that' pin. And i also learned that i am not only outpriced, but i am so far from owning a NIB with these prices my dream of having one ever at home almost vaperised this expo.

#24 2 years ago

Texas is a great show BUT they have changed hotels a few times?? maybe they had issues too

#25 2 years ago

It should be noted that even though ROB hates expo he has NEVER paid a dime to set up so thats not any part of his expenses ..

#26 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

It should be noted that even though ROB hates expo he has NEVER paid a dime to set up so thats not any part of his expenses ..

This is gonna be priceless.......

#27 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Hey, Mike. How are those website improvements coming?

#28 2 years ago

all of you east coast/Midwest folks need to come to the best pinball show west of the Mississippi,

PIN A GO GO. See Rob and Taro there in may. no speakers, no hotel bs, no, big corporate bs, just pinball, pinball, and pinball. oh, and more pinball.

#29 2 years ago

yes our website is outdated HOW does it affect anything?? is all the needed info there??

#30 2 years ago

Just go away Mike! If you have not realized, YOU are the one and only reason expo continues to decline in number of atendies.

At this point if it was not for the history of the event and people announcing new games, your show would be done.

Best thing that could happen for expo is you to just disappear.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Just go away Mike! If you have not realized, YOU are the one and only reason expo continues to decline in number of atendies.
    At this point if it was not for the history of the event and people announcing new games, your show would be done.
    Best thing that could happen for expo is you to just disappear.

There is no need for this kind of personal attack. You're being very mean. If you can do EXPO better, then go do it. Also it's spelled ATTENDEES not Atendies. Be more positive pinside!

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from QuantumCarl:

There is no need for this kind of personal attack. You're being very mean. If you can do EXPO better, then go do it.

Not a personal attack at all. I am serious, bestvthing for expo is for Mike not to come here and try and throw Rob under a bus. ROb is well liked and a reason people go to expo.

Mike provides new reasons every year for people to no longer attend expo.

I am giving genuine and serious advice. expo would do better if mike just disappeared and went behind the scenes. expo is a huge money making venture for Mike and honestly he would do better business without him.

As far as helping do a show better. I continue to do my part to support the shows worth supporting. I am actually very happy to hear Rob will no longer be attending as a vendor. MIke does not deserve the hard work and voulenteers that have helped line his pockets for years. If things continue to slip the Rob leaving may be the impitus for others to follow.

This was the lightest vendor attendance I have ever seen and by the sounds of it, it will be a continuing trend unless things change more.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Not a personal attack at all. I am serious, bestvthing for expo is for Mike not to come here and try and throw Rob under a bus. ROb is well liked and a reason people go to expo.
    Mike provides new reasons every year for people to no longer attend expo.
    I am giving genuine and serious advice. expo would do better if mike just disappeared and went behind the scenes. expo is a huge money making venture for Mike and honestly he would do better business without him.
    As far as helping do a show better. I continue to do my part to support the shows worth supporting. I am actually very happy to hear Rob will no longer be attending as a vendor. MIke does not deserve the hard work and voulenteers that have helped line his pockets for years. If things continue to slip the Rob leaving may be the impitus for others to follow.
    This was the lightest vendor attendance I have ever seen and by the sounds of it, it will be a continuing trend unless things change more.

You mean impetus, not impitus right? Pinside does spellcheck my friend, that's what those little red lines are under a word. I do not wish to get into the weeds of Expo but it sure sounds like you want Mike to get the hell out of the picture. Personally I think the shows are all about the people and socializing and I've always had a blast at Expo. Sure I could nit pick and yes I'm sure being a vendor is a pain, but overall it's a good show.

What I would change is the duration of the show. It's almost comical that Pinball Expo is a 4-day affair. All of the reveals / announcements could happen in a couple hours if done correctly and scheduled accordingly. Make it a Friday/Saturday/Sunday Morning show.

But take my advice...be more positive in general.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from QuantumCarl:

There is no need for this kind of personal attack. You're being very mean. If you can do EXPO better, then go do it. Also it's spelled ATTENDEES not Atendies. Be more positive pinside!

oh, hey Kaneda.

I really enjoy the podcast.

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

Texas is a great show BUT they have changed hotels a few times?? maybe they had issues too

They changed to Anatole because they outgrew the hotel in Grapevine.
    Anatole sucked for all involved. Attendees, vendors, and as I heard... the organizers.

The new Embassy hotel in Frisco is large with room to grow. A much better situation. I look forward to them growing every year.

I encourage you to GROW your show... oh... wait... good luck with that.

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

oh, hey Kaneda.

?

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from QuantumCarl:

You're being very mean. If you can do EXPO better, then go do it.

Chiming in from the outside here.

I always hate this kind of remark, that's like a president telling a citizen if they don't like what he does, to go make his own country. It's obviously not that easy to start up a brand new show compared to something like this. Also although perhaps a personal attack according to Pinside rules (don't know, don't really care), if I were in that kind of position I would try to listen and give reasonable responses to said criticism.

Or if you meant volunteer for EXPO itself, that's like a president telling the average joe to start up his presidential campaign. The whole "if you can do better go do it" consensus stinks, especially when said to somebody doing something as casual as simply posting in an internet thread, in my opinion.

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from Otaku:

Chiming in from the outside here.
    I always hate this kind of remark, that's like a president telling a citizen if they don't like what he does, to go make his own country. It's obviously not that easy to start up a brand new show compared to something like this. Also although perhaps a personal attack according to Pinside rules (don't know, don't really care), if I were in that kind of position I would try to listen and give reasonable responses to said criticism.
    Or if you meant volunteer for EXPO itself, that's like a president telling the average joe to start up his presidential campaign. The whole "if you can do better go do it" consensus stinks, especially when said to somebody doing something as casual as simply posting in an internet thread, in my opinion.

I see what you're saying. Just don't think any of us should get so heated about a Pinball Expo. Just not sure how telling Mike he needs to get booted isn't a personal attack. Let's move on. Be positive pinside!

#39 2 years ago

Mike, you are

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

oh, hey Kaneda.

I thought the EXACT same thing, well, except for the enjoyed your podcast part...

#41 2 years ago
    Quoted from QuantumCarl:

Pinside does spellcheck my friend, that's what those little red lines are under a word.

Stick around a little longer with this account and you will see that I spell wrong all the time. This is a casual forum where things like spelling dont matter. The people that are concerned with spelling are wort makin mad cause they get in a fuss over misspellins.

Back on topic, it seems evidint the trend form the past years is many prominent people in the pinball hobby; people that have done lots to help put on Expo, are tired of dealing with a single individual.

Seems like the simplest and best thing would be to remove that individual from running the show and being the figurehead.

As for helping other shows, I have said it before... I am happy to help any other show that I think it is worth spending my voulenteer time to pad their pockets. I refuse to help Mike after hearing how he treated some of the game room voulenteers, seeing how he talks down to his staff, and just in general being mean and outrageous behavior to many of the paying customers.

(left a few more red lines in there just cause I know you like them )

#43 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

EverYThing saiD here IS FAlse...

I don't hate Expo, see above post. In fact I say it's always been my favorite show in the country, and I've been to a couple.

I paid almost $1200 just for the hotel. You're right, that's not a dime.

I've fixed your games for free every year, this year alone I have $220 JUST IN PARTS for your games. Add to that, I've never, EVER, even received a thank you for any of it, not once. Quite the opposite, I get yelled at and constantly ridiculed the entire show... tired of it.

I supply parts and repairs to games at the show for the entire show at no cost. That costs someone money...me.

--
    Rob Anthony
    Pinball Classics

#44 2 years ago

I say thank you every time I visit your room rob. And here is another thank you just because!

#45 2 years ago

The very fact that a show promoter doesn't take a moment while rolling around on his scooter to thank every vendor and every person bringing machines for free play tells you a lot about him. He's a rude, classless d-bag, period! I've never received a thank you from him at his other show, just his rudeness and lack of personality.

#46 2 years ago

I think it would be cool to move the expo downtown. I am guessing paying $50 to park your car is the biggest factor not to.

#47 2 years ago
    Quoted from mikepin:

yes our website is outdated HOW does it affect anything?? is all the needed info there??

Honestly, all of the needed information is not there. Information is lacking for first time attendees, you can't assume that everyone will just figure it out. An example from your website is below, shows that 'busses' leave at 9 AM. So I'm a first time attendee, where do I line up? Does this mean I need to be there by 8:45, 8:30? Or just in the lobby by 9 AM or if I get there at 9 AM are the buses actually leaving then and I'll be late? I get a lot of people have been coming to the show for many years but these details on the site are not for them. They're for the first timer and it's certainly not clear.

When creating something like this, you need to write the directions as if the person reading them has no clue. This isn't uncommon, most shows leave the details out and leave first timers confused on what is needed and waste a lot of time and resources pointing them in the right direction. If you want help with this for next year, I'd be happy to help. I'm also willing to help any other show that might want/need more assistance setting up a proper process and directions.

"Visit the Stern Pinball Factory facility on Thursday Oct 13. Busses leave the hotel for the factory tour at 9:00AM. Go to the Stern Pinball Factory manufacturing facility and see the production of machines from beginning to end.This special privilege is only extended to Pinball Expo 2016 Attendees!"

#48 2 years ago
    Quoted from MotorCityMatt:

I think it would be cool to move the expo downtown. I am guessing paying $50 to park your car is the biggest factor not to.

You run into huge issues going downtown. Not trying to pick one side or another, but the Unions destroyed doing anything productive downtown.

I had a show at McCormick place, and was renting some dartboards to a exhibitor. It was unreal the cost and pain in the ass it was to accommodate the show. The exhibitor had to pay a ton of money for the show.

Requirements by the local unions to participate in the show:

1. Union teamster has to be the one driving your vehicle on the property and backing up to loading area
    2. Union laborer has to dolly the game to the area that the game is to be placed in the exhibit
    3. Union electrician has to plug the game into the wall

Then at the end of the show
    1. Union electrician has to unplug the game from the wall
    2. Union laborer has to dolly the game to the loading area
    3. Union teamster has to drive the vehicle off of the grounds

On top of this, you can not move the game around once in place without hiring a union person to do it. And you can not work on your own machines, has to be union person

Besides all these issues, you have to pay for it as well. When I was there, you had to pay 125.00 per hour, and minimum charge was 1 hour. So even though it only took each person less than 5 minutes to do their part, I was billed 375.00 for each way, In and out of the show

#49 2 years ago

I've been banned from expo, three times, that's why I can't go...

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from bangerjay:

I've been banned from expo, three times, that's why I can't go...

Care to explain your follies which got you expelled?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 1,099.00
    Pinball Machine
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 50.00
    $ 14.95
    $ 9.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    ULEKstore
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 49.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 165.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Bright Lights Pinball
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 115.00
    Playfield - Other
    Great American Pinball
    $ 76.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    £ 31.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside