Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Did some carful over look before I fired it up , it is very dirty.. All the system checks are good .. It's going to be a complete rebuild . Should I change all the chinsy looking 555 sockets , most seems "loose". Should I get it working before I disassemble? Not sure of it meens anything but the mpu led blinks 7 times and "14" shows on the credit display...the game don't work but seems to test fine..

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

#2 11 years ago

congrats. I have yet to be able to play one of these to see what all the hubub is about.

#3 11 years ago

Congrats on the Fathom. I always get the game working first so if there are problems afterwards I know it's a result of the rebuild. Different troubleshooting process than component failures.

Plus you want to at least play it a little before taking it apart.

#4 11 years ago

Congrats!! I just got mine not too long ago as well...Mine actually came already torn down, with a repro PF ready to do a swap. I am rethinking the repro PF swap...and thinking I am going to just restore the original PF. (Cause IMO it can't be that bad that it is worth the PITA of swapping it!)
I played the one at PAPA in Aug. and liked it enough to trade my WW for this one! Fun game for its age!! Lots of cool shots, and fast!! In most cases, I do get them running before tearing them down to restore. That way you don't have to wonder if it was working before you tore it down, and you know it was something you screwed up in the process!! ...but since this one is already torn down...it will get restored before I put it back together!

Phoebe

#5 11 years ago

Great score.Its the one machine I would love to get.

Never seen one or played one.I just want one.

#6 11 years ago

congrats on the pickup, would love to have it just to stare at the backglass

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

Congrats on the Fathom. I always get the game working first so if there are problems afterwards I know it's a result of the rebuild. Different troubleshooting process than component failures.

+1

Very important to know that the game was fully working before you tore it down. That way you can rule out failed parts/wiring/connectors when testing after putting it back together.

#9 11 years ago

I will be placing an order with big daddy today to get the power supply and sound board upgraded with the right components ....all coils firing!! Got some sound when I put my finger on the heat sink on that sound board, bad ground? All lights seem to work ... Thinking about replacing those 555 with 44s ? Thanks every one !!this one has been a long time coming .. Butterfly I'm interested in that pf ...although mines not bad I'm terrified to remove the Mylar with all the crazing going on..

#10 11 years ago

Could have a floating ground for sound board. Likely have cracked header pins if it started making sound when you pushed on the sound board (got ground through backbox mount).

Good idea to check every connector.

#11 11 years ago

Why would you replace the 555s with 44s? At the very least put in 47s but IMO the 555 sockets are way more reliable than the garbage Bally 44/47 sockets.

Hell anything is better than the Bally 44/47 sockets.

#12 11 years ago

Whats those marks above each light socket on the lightboard? Looks like burn marks. Nice pick up man, enjoy!

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from Jeff_PHX_AZ:

Whats those marks above each light socket on the lightboard? Looks like burn marks. Nice pick up man, enjoy!

They are burn marks.

#14 11 years ago

Congrats on the find! All good things come....

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from Butterflygirl24:

I played the one at PAPA in Aug. and liked it

+1. Very impressed with the game after playing it at PAPA. But not impressed enough to the tune of 3,000 that was being asked for one that became available not too far from me later in 2012.

#16 11 years ago

One of Bally's best! Once you get a hot ball on this game you realize why it's so popular.

The multi-ball is tough to keep in play and not relock the balls. Drop targets galore!

#17 11 years ago

Yeah, I saw this game being played about 5 years ago up in Seattle Washington at shortys... I never got a chance to play because there was a line of pinheads taking turns on it , I couldn't figure out what the hub bub was all about until I dropped 10 bucks and had a couple of hot balls and Sense then I have been looking for one . I paid for this a year and a half ago .. The 555 sockets ate better to replace with new 555's then? Thanks for that advise as a lot of them are out/broken.. This thing? on the sound board is fried!! And there is a little acid damage on the mpu that I want to take care of

image.jpgimage.jpg image.jpgimage.jpg

Post edited by Dawson : Stupid iPhone and I'm an awful paragraph wrighter

#18 11 years ago

Congrats. I think it's an awesome game, as you can see by my avatar. Agree with others, get it working before you tear it up again. I'd do a full recap on the sound board, GPE sells the kits. Enjoy!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Playfield - Plastics
20eyes

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Machine - For Sale
Zemst
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

6,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Akron, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 90.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Boston, MA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-a-year-and-a-half-i-just-got-my-fathom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.