Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
skb_ratings_100713.gif
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 9 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Off topic, but am I the only one that plays all my machines equally? I don't get why people don't just cycle through their machines equally? I have 28, and they all get the same amount of time. I mean new ones to the lineup see more time initially, but after they are worked into the mix, I cycle left to right equally.
If I come across a game that I don't look forward to playing, and this happens for a month, it gets sold, but this is very rare. It's too random deciding otherwise, and you start to not play machines that you likely would still enjoy.

Do you have a job?

#52 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

And gone now too? What gives?

Acdc became #1 when I was firing on all cylinders. It is the perfect competitive multiplayer tourney type game. But as you can see from my posts and rating history (which you should know since you're an annoyingly creepy stalker), it didn't have the magic LoTR had. It was a VERY hard decision selling acdc. And anyone who knows me, knows that. But that hardcore aggressive edge of the game wasn't fitting in my small lineup and I wanted to go back to what I enjoyed the most out of this hobby and that is having fun with pins like LoTR, fgy, etc...where I can have enjoyment factors of slapping a ball around and having fun with call outs and rules and not stress too much on losing a ball. So right now personally, I'm on a goal to have 2 or 3 pins that satisfy my fun factor with an entertainment value as well as have some creative scoring elements to fill that competitive void so I can focus on the home life as my wife and I begin our family. Sorry to disappoint, hope you understand.

In the end, I deducted a lot of points in the fun factor of acdc as it's a game that was too much work for my liking. SO it dropped a few spots. But it's still one of the greatest multiplayer games ever, if not THE best in that dept.

#53 9 years ago

It's hard too "stalk" one of the most frequent posters on Pinside, so I'll assume your kidding. I happen to agree with you entirely on ACDC, and I go back and forth between wanting to sell it (for precisely the reasons you've provided) and keeping it forever (for the reasons you rated it #1).

Just curious man. I respect your opinions, so wanted to know. The only time you ever disappointed me was when you bailed on Avengers, but I understood your reasons.

Maybe I need to stalk you a little more aggressively, because I have not noticed you posting one way or another on met. You're pretty effusive when you like something. Where does MET fall into the mix?

#54 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

EDIT; never edited this thread. But long story short (for my stalker fans out there), acdc could not hold the title.

Thumbs down for deleting the original post.

Your original comments were valid. Opinions change over time.

#55 9 years ago

Maybe I need to stalk you a little more aggressively, because I have not noticed you posting one way or another on met. You're pretty effusive when you like something. Where does MET fall into the mix?

He now has MET rated number 1 in his ratings.

So LOTR has been dethroned....again.

#56 9 years ago

It's hard too "stalk" one of the most frequent posters on Pinside, so I'll assume your kidding. I happen to agree with you entirely on ACDC, and I go back and forth between wanting to sell it (for precisely the reasons you've provided) and keeping it forever (for the reasons you rated it #1).
Just curious man. I respect your opinions, so wanted to know. The only time you ever disappointed me was when you bailed on Avengers, but I understood your reasons.

Right on man. No hard feelings. I love avengers but bailed on it for one reason and one reason only....I would get it tuned and playing fantastic, then two days later it would play like crap so I'd spend a couple hours getting it tuned and playing perfectly again and loved it. Then, two days later it played like shit again. It was a see saw battle I didn't want to deal with anymore. Besides that, I loved the game and still go to bat for it despite it needing a polished update. Throughout my whole buy/sell/trade madness affair, i think it's better than TFLE, xmen, and almost acdc. If it weren't for all the babysitting and lack of code support from Lonnie and Gomez, it would have been acdc out the door last year instead of it.

Quoted from RobT:

He now has MET rated number 1 in his ratings.
So LOTR has been dethroned....again.

Ya ratings don't matter in that sense anymore to me. Special thanks to the revival of this thread. I play it how I see it. And here's how it is:

According to pinside rankings, LoTR is all 6's in my book except the following:
Gameplay: 5/6 - deducted a point because once in awhile there is a slight klunk factor with the ring shot, gandalf shot, and right loop shot.
Cab artwork: 5/6. Pixelation.
Sound quality: 5/6. Deducted a point for sound quality mainly in part due to the operating system inside. Maybe this quality will be resolved if a VE is ever made? But like you said one time rob, my LoTR was the best sounding LoTR you ever played and I agree, I have not found or played a better sounding LoTR.

That's it, all the rest are 6's!!!

Let's look at Metallica as it stands today during its honeymoon phase but also having 100+ games on it:
All 6's except the following categories:
Game rules: 5/6. Rules are great but it's no acdc or LoTR. Another update and it just might be?
Cab art: 4/6. This would be lower if it weren't for how much I like the LE cab and roadcase cab.
Fun: 5/6. Deducted one point here in part of the same reason the rules are a 5/6. The game rules start off a little slow. But once you get it going, hell, it's a 7/6 fun factor!

So that's how it is and how I roll. Metallica just happens to be above LoTR for now. But does that mean I would rather have Metallica over LoTR or LoTR over STLE? Or such? No. If I had to make a choice that I could only ever own Metallica or LoTR, I'd probably choose LoTR.....but may choose Metallica if asked next week. That's how close .1 rating really is. Love it all and unlike some I don't just throw 10's out like candy.

#57 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Ya ratings don't matter in that sense anymore to me. Special thanks to the revival of this thread. I play it how I see it. And here's how it is:

Gameplay: 5/6 - deducted a point because once in awhile there is a slight klunk factor with the ring shot, gandalf shot, and right loop shot.
Cab artwork: 5/6. Pixelation.
Sound quality: 5/6. Deducted a point for sound quality mainly in part due to the operating system inside. Maybe this quality will be resolved if a VE is ever made? But like you said one time rob, my LoTR was the best sounding LoTR you ever played and I agree, I have not found or played a better sounding LoTR.

That's it, all the rest are 6's!!!

Let's look at Metallica as it stands today during its honeymoon phase but also having 100+ games on it:
All 6's except the following categories:
Game rules: 5/6. Rules are great but it's no acdc or LoTR. Another update and it just might be?
Cab art: 4/6. This would be lower if it weren't for how much I like the LE cab and roadcase cab.
Fun: 5/6. Deducted one point here in part of the same reason the rules are a 5/6. The game rules start off a little slow. But once you get it going, hell, it's a 7/6 fun factor!

So that's how it is and how I roll. Metallica just happens to be above LoTR for now. But does that mean I would rather have Metallica over LoTR or LoTR over STLE? Or such? No. If I had to make a choice that I could only ever own Metallica or LoTR, I'd probably choose LoTR.....but may choose Metallica if asked next week. That's how close .1 rating really is. Love it all and unlike some I don't just throw 10's out like candy.

Yep, and what that actually proves is that you are being as objective as possible in the ratings that you give. The way the Pinside ratings work, you can easily have a few pins rated higher than the one that you actually consider your favorite. He has to do with the weight that we personally place on each category.

There is always that special "it" factor that cannot be quantified too. Some pins just click with some people, others don't, for a variety of reasons that can't always be explained in words.

I appreciate the fact that the Pinside rating system now lets us adjust the weights to our personal preference, but it will never work perfectly.

#58 9 years ago
Quoted from Rensh:

Have to agree on

1) Acdc premium is top notch. Also my number 1. Was even no 1 for a short moment on ipdb

So happy I own (2) of the top 10. woot. Had no idea.

#59 9 years ago

My AC/DC is going no where. Number 1 in my books!

#60 9 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Yep, and what that actually proves is that you are being as objective as possible in the ratings that you give. The way the Pinside ratings work, you can easily have a few pins rated higher than the one that you actually consider your favorite. He has to do with the weight that we personally place on each category.
There is always that special "it" factor that cannot be quantified too. Some pins just click with some people, others don't, for a variety of reasons that can't always be explained in words.
I appreciate the fact that the Pinside rating system now lets us adjust the weights to our personal preference, but it will never work perfectly.

I don't really like the pinside categories for ratings because of this, I think it leads to the wrong idea. Can you imagine if movies were rated upon this stuff? Somebody who never watched movies would think the newest Transformers was better than something like Shawshank because it had 10's in sound, graphics, etc but awful depth (which is kind of the way the ratings are setup right now). I've had this discussion with you before though. I'm sure there are people that would like Transformers better (everyone has different tastes) but to have a list for people to reference that is to an extent misleading is unfortunate. I would think it would be better if you just gave an overall rating, and then rated in subcategories that didn't add into the overall rating. That way people could view the best games by category + also see people's favorite games.

Right now there are really only 5 categories out of 16 that factor into the actual meat of the game (fun, lastability, gameplay, game rules, playfield layout), so it's unbalanced towards art and sound vs. actually playing the game. Yes, you can rebalance to a degree but that doesn't mean it's still not unbalanced overall. It's just over inflating games that are pretty and sound good...like Xenon, that game is super pretty and sounds good, but it is just not fun to play at all, lol.

#61 9 years ago
Quoted from taylor34:

I don't really like the pinside categories for ratings because of this, I think it leads to the wrong idea. Can you imagine if movies were rated upon this stuff? Somebody who never watched movies would think the newest Transformers was better than something like Shawshank because it had 10's in sound, graphics, etc but awful depth (which is kind of the way the ratings are setup right now). I've had this discussion with you before though. I'm sure there are people that would like Transformers better (everyone has different tastes) but to have a list for people to reference that is to an extent misleading is unfortunate. I would think it would be better if you just gave an overall rating, and then rated in subcategories that didn't add into the overall rating. That way people could view the best games by category + also see people's favorite games.

Right now there are really only 5 categories out of 16 that factor into the actual meat of the game (fun, lastability, gameplay, game rules, playfield layout), so it's unbalanced towards art and sound vs. actually playing the game. Yes, you can rebalance to a degree but that doesn't mean it's still not unbalanced overall. It's just over inflating games that are pretty and sound good...like Xenon, that game is super pretty and sounds good, but it is just not fun to play at all, lol.

Good point, like movies it is all opinion. Critics have some of my all time favorite films at 1 star. AC/DC is one of my least favorite pins and least favorite bands. While plenty of people hate Star Trek or Indiana Jones because they do not like the films. Theme, layout in the end is all opinion. Some people hate drop targets some people love them. You really cant rank pinball machines.

#62 9 years ago

And gone now too? What gives?

Kept the wrong Steve Ritchie game.

#63 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I like Metallica quite a bit but this game definitely falls heavily into the "klunk factor" style of play. Everything on it of any value is a clunky feeling shot. For this reason alone it will never reach the fun factor that ACDC gives. Great code though, just too bad it doesnt have a more flowing Playfield like IM or even RS.

#64 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I like Metallica quite a bit but this game definitely falls heavily into the "klunk factor" style of play. Everything on it of any value is a clunky feeling shot. For this reason alone it will never reach the fun factor that ACDC gives. Great code though, just too bad it doesnt have a more flowing Playfield like IM or even RS.

Are you talking about pro or LE?

All I can say is that I have Met pro next to IM pro and the flow on my Met pro is real good - wouldn't keep the game if it wasn't!

#65 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Are you talking about pro or LE?
All I can say is that I have Met pro next to IM pro and the flow on my Met pro is real good - wouldn't keep the game if it wasn't!

Both versions. All the major playfield items (Snake, Grave Markers, Captive Ball & Sparky) all have a somewhat clunky feel to them.

#66 9 years ago

I freaking love SPAM.

but your arteries dont. : P

#67 9 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Both versions. All the major playfield items (Snake, Grave Markers, Captive Ball & Sparky) all have a somewhat clunky feel to them.

Well, I agree snake can be clunky, maybe captive ball but sparky and grave markers the ball comes back so quick it is unreal sometimes!

#68 9 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Well, I agree snake can be clunky, maybe captive ball but sparky and grave markers the ball comes back so quick it is unreal sometimes!

It's just the nature of the shots. Don't get me wrong it's a fun game with great code but sometimes the shots feel unsatisfying.

#69 9 years ago

I feel you I let LOtR go and never thought I would. Ac/dc is the only game left in my collection from my initial buying spree. I thought Star Trek would allow me to sell it but that is not the case. Something about the integration of sound, code and fun ,not tight shots I have not seen in any other game I've owned.

Thanks for the gameplay tips, you definitely plan ahead more than me.

#70 9 years ago

#1 in your personal rankings really doesn't matter when it comes to selling a game. I recently sold my LOTR despite it being my favorite game. I owned it for 5+ years and got my enjoyment out of it. It was simply time to move on and use that money towards some different games. The longer I'm in the hobby the more I realize that there are no true "Keepers" for me. The favorites just tend to stick around longer....

#71 9 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

These can be made as smooth as butter with a bit of tweaking.

#72 9 years ago

AC/DC and I don't have a good relationship....it abuses me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,999 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Watertown, MA
10,400 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Juneau, WI
$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

€ 7.50
10,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
AC/DC Glass Cover Pre-order!
Duke Pinball

$ 12.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 39.50
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Game Room Info Shop

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.95
$ 255.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-6-yearsi-have-a-new-1/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.