(Topic ID: 215111)

After 2+ years...Do You Still Like Your GOT Prem/LE Upper Playfield?

By charles4400

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 63 posts
  • 29 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Rob_G
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180523_164616 (resized).jpg
20180523_164603 (resized).jpg
20180523_164532 (resized).jpg
20180523_164441 (resized).jpg
20180523_163957 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
7E5C2766-CD25-474E-941F-9EE27801CE1C (resized).jpeg
DBBB9E68-04DA-431D-AD19-D8D6891CAEEC (resized).jpeg
14602220-225D-4A87-8CE1-485F50902E22 (resized).jpeg
48AF3BD3-116A-4ECF-925E-D3F193EC3E27 (resized).jpeg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

So now in 2018 how is your GOT LE/Prem holding up?
Are you still glad you got it instead of the pro?
Upper playfield still fun or has it gotten old by now?

I've been wanting to add a GOT in the collection and am now starting to poke around to see what's available.

Mixed reviews on Pro vs Prem with biggest issue being the upper playfield.

So whats the verdict from all the premium owners who have had the game for a few years now?

#2 6 years ago

Great question. I had a pro and loved it. Great flow. Tried le before and didn’t like stop and go of it.

See what some honest le owners say.

#3 6 years ago

Yes, I still enjoy the upper playfield. I did put lightening flippers on mine which made it tougher to accomplish the goals up their. I also love the dragon's smooth flapping vs the coil fire that is present on the pro. The light show is really cool as well when it shoots fire out of its mouth using the mini pf lights all the way down to the lower PF.

I find myself using it for mode progression and/or extra mode time. Especially helpful in Stark mode when playing as Greyjoy.

My only gripe is it doesn't pause the timers for the PF or shot multipliers when up their so you have to put that into your equation when making shots their. GOT is still my favorite game due to all the differences it can be played.

#4 6 years ago

Premium looks better
Pro plays better
I had a Premium and wish I got a Pro so the premium had to go.

#5 6 years ago

I like being able to get extra time during modes from the upper playfield. All in all I rate it a plus!

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from fnosm:

Premium looks better
Pro plays better
I had a Premium and wish I got a Pro so the premium had to go.

The pro is easier thus why I believe people say it plays better. All the shot layouts, but stark, are identical on the games. Pro is stupid easy to exploit (wall MB much) and with the pro you can't add time to modes, progress in modes after collecting a castle nor play castle MB.

Here's a fun thought. The ball return time on the prem/le and the pro for the stark shot are nearly identical if you don't flip the flippers on the mini-pf because the stark ramp is so long on the pro. I get to play both all the time and very much prefer the Prem/LE in a home environment.

I know I'm in the minority but I prefer the art on the LE over the Prem. Something about all that blue just doesn't sit right with me on the game.

#7 6 years ago

Love my LE, love the pro as well but I don't ever regret buying an LE on this one. I do hope they polish up the code still and that could catapult the LE to even better heights if they add some more rules to the upper playfield.

#8 6 years ago

I've owned both. Played the hell out of my LE for a year... loved it. But had to sell to make room.

Picked up a great deal on a pro a few months ago... it gets a ton of play. Thought I would miss the light show and upper playfield. NOPE. I do miss the ball rolling into the throne, that was pretty cool. If I was starting from scratch I'd get a pro and pick up a less offensive translite and color DMD with the dough you're saving.

It's the only game I've ever re-acquired, you really can't go wrong with either one if they gameplay is appealing to you.

I will say I found the premium a bit easier to play, the upper playfield gives you a chance to catch your breath. Personally I prefer the pro.

#9 6 years ago

I have a premium since the release.
Still in love with the game.
I installed a colordmd. Now its even better !!

#10 6 years ago

I think the upper playfield is great - much preferred over the pro.
- IMO the issue with the Premium/LE is the left orbit MUST be fixed, as the default setup ruins the flow - once this is done, it's great
- The upper playfield doesn't hurt flow at all IMO
- Hoping for higher scoring for Castle Multiball in a code update though

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I think the upper playfield is great - much preferred over the pro.
- IMO the issue with the Premium/LE is the left orbit MUST be fixed, as the default setup ruins the flow - once this is done, it's great

Ive heard alot about that left orbit. Wasnt someone designing a new divertor for it last year, whatever became of that?

What is the final fix for it? Sleeves instead of the rubbers on the post?

Is this a problem on all prem/le?

#12 6 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback, look forward to hearing more!

Hmmm decisions decisions....

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Ive heard alot about that left orbit. Wasnt someone designing a new divertor for it last year, whatever became of that?

I don't know if it's a problem on all. The fix is to enlarge the holes on the diverter bracket underneath the playfield so the bracket can slide forward slightly. I still love my premium, and adding extra time to modes through the upper playfield is useful. I don't have quality time on a pro. Premium is very much a catch and release long-playing game for me.

#14 6 years ago

GoT and JJPOTC do something in pinball I don't like: a ramp shot that always feeds a mini playfield.

Rob

#15 6 years ago

Multi-level multiball is awesome, and GOT’s upper playfield is the best there is, unless you reach back to the 80’s. So yes, I still love it.

#16 6 years ago

I still enjoy my premium I enjoy the mini playfield I like the rules it adds.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

GoT and JJPOTC do something in pinball I don't like: a ramp shot that always feeds a mini playfield.
Rob

This 100%. Ramp shots that run into a mini kill flow. I played the pro and Premium, pro all the way.

#18 6 years ago

Love my GoT LE and it’s upper PF. Castle collecting is great for bonus, but if I have a beef with the rules, it’s that the UPF isn’t integrated even more.

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

This 100%. Ramp shots that run into a mini kill flow. I played the pro and Premium, pro all the way.

I'm not against a ramp shot entering a mini playfield, but I would prefer to see a diverter there so that's not always the case.

Quoted from pinlawyer:

Love my GoT LE and it’s upper PF. Castle collecting is great for bonus, but if I have a beef with the rules, it’s that the UPF isn’t integrated even more.

That's the problem. I think if too many rules are created for the mini playfield, it creates such a big gap between how the models play and score. Most development time is probably spent for the common platform rules and scoring. The extra features just usually do a little extra, but not a lot. Even with the hyperloop in SW, hyperspace multiball plays basically the same on all models. The hyperloop has no extra 'special' rules for it, no hyperloop mania/jackpot/etc..

Rob

#20 6 years ago

My GOTLE is bolted to the floor and not leaving. Love the upper playfield and still prefer it over the pro.

#21 6 years ago

My GOTLE is still easily my favorite game in my collection. I play it twice as much as anything else. I agree that it could use a code polish, but the upper play field is well integrated into the game.

#22 6 years ago

Friend had a LE and switched to a Pro which I played last Friday.

As stated earlier, indeed LE looks way better but pro just plays much better. More flow and less stop and go. I am a fan of flow so this suits me well

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

Then you really won't like ACNC, as both/all ramps feed the upper playfield.

On GoT the right ramp always feeds the upper playfield, but it's designed so if you don't flip the ball returns to the left flipper almost as fast as if it were just a ramp. It's your choice - sometimes there are reasons to use the upper playfield, sometimes it's better to just let it return to the flipper. It takes maybe 1 second longer than on a Pro if you choose to not flip. It's not a flow killer at all IMO.

I think some people feel like they have to flip if the ball is by a flipper.

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Most Prem/LEs have some level of this issue from the factory.
I was looking into producing an updated diverter, but it turned out to not be cost effective. The reaction from pinside was that the price was going to be too high. I think I had estimated $90.

Like Sulakd posted, the no cost fix is to enlarge the holes on the diverter bracket. With enough tweaking, this method works very well.

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Most Prem/LEs have some level of this issue from the factory.
I was looking into producing an updated diverter, but it turned out to not be cost effective. The reaction from pinside was that the price was going to be too high. I think I had estimated $90.
Like Sulakd posted, the no cost fix is to enlarge the holes on the diverter bracket. With enough tweaking, this method works very well.

Ahh you were the one! Id much prefer getting a correctly shaped divertorer than drilling under the playfield. $90 is pricey but certainly doable if it properly corrects a gameplay problem. Heck most mods cost that much and all toppers do and those are just cosmetics.

Maybe im speaking too soon since I dont have the game yet (but if all goes well plan on having 1 in the next few months) but is there any chance you might revisit producing them? How many orders would you need to make production feasible?

Buying a correct part versus drilling is an easy choice for me!

#26 6 years ago

Glad to hear most peeps still enjoying that upper playfield. Not a unanimous consensus but seems that the prem/le are still holding their fun factor.

Im leaning in the premium direction...

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Glad to hear most peeps still enjoying that upper playfield. Not a unanimous consensus but seems that the prem/le are still holding their fun factor.
Im leaning in the premium direction...

Yes, diffidently holds the fun factor especially if you enjoy trying new things vs just playing the game the same way everytime. That's really only when I could see this game getting old for some.

Best part is you NIB hit that this game took. If you buy used you'll save a pretty penny and should be fairly safe with holding most of it's value if that's of any concern to you.

#28 6 years ago

Never played a GOT LE or Premium due to the upper playfield. I've watched enough people play it to make the decision not to even give it a shot. The pro shoots so nicely.

#29 6 years ago

Played both a bunch on location - Pro one place, Premium another.
Have always liked the Pro better and always will. Have Pro now - would never get Premium.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned:
Shoot part of the way up the center ramp and get a come backer.
It is brutal not seeing the ball come back down on the Premium because it's under the upper playfield.
Makes saving the ball much harder, but shitty cheap harder because you can't see a damn thing, not fun harder.

#30 6 years ago

“Leftorbitgate” was always ridiculous to me. I’ve never bothered with the fix (which is really straightforward), because I like the rewards I get at the pop bumpers. I always liked games where the ball disappeared for a while (BK2K and CFTBL, for example). You get used to it after about 50 games. Different preferences, no wrong answer.

#31 6 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

Shoot part of the way up the center ramp and get a come backer.
It is brutal not seeing the ball come back down on the Premium because it's under the upper playfield.
Makes saving the ball much harder, but shitty cheap harder because you can't see a damn thing, not fun harder.

I get a lot of these “come backers”, it’s a tighter shot than you’d expect. But I never have a problem recovering. Usually another hit from the right flipper will send it to the lock, no problem. And you do see the ball for most of its trip back to the flippers.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Id much prefer getting a correctly shaped diverter than drilling under the playfield.

Hey charles, The task to enlarge the holes in the mounting bracket is truly dirt simple, with the most basic tools/skillset.

#33 6 years ago

Here’s the left orbit fix.

You have to move the diverter toward the front of the cabinet by about 1/16”
7E5C2766-CD25-474E-941F-9EE27801CE1C (resized).jpeg7E5C2766-CD25-474E-941F-9EE27801CE1C (resized).jpeg

You drill out the holes on the mounting bracket
48AF3BD3-116A-4ECF-925E-D3F193EC3E27 (resized).jpeg48AF3BD3-116A-4ECF-925E-D3F193EC3E27 (resized).jpeg

Make sure that the orbit is smooth on the top side and your done
14602220-225D-4A87-8CE1-485F50902E22 (resized).jpeg14602220-225D-4A87-8CE1-485F50902E22 (resized).jpeg

Here’s a view of ball travel between the two games. The pro ramp is so long that the time to flipper is virtual the same if you don’t flip on the upper playfield
DBBB9E68-04DA-431D-AD19-D8D6891CAEEC (resized).jpegDBBB9E68-04DA-431D-AD19-D8D6891CAEEC (resized).jpeg

I’ve had my premium since day one. (I was the first to post delivery worldwide) and I love the game still. I don’t like the pro because of the dragon kickback shot is also the mystery shot. The throne shot is so much better for implementation of mystery reward and battle for the wall. The pro doesn’t have castle multiball, so it has one less mode to play through. The pro can’t add time to house modes and the pro doesn’t have as great of a light show, I really like the full colour changing lights on the playfield.

#34 6 years ago

Thanks for that luckydogg! Really appreciate the visuals!

I thought drilling entailed drilling the playfield, glad its on the mech itself! I assume ypu use a stepper bit for this? If so do ypu know what size should be used?

Great info thanks!

If a replacement part was available id still go for that but if not I will certainly try the drilling.

#35 6 years ago

I definitely need to play better. I’ve had my LE for about 2 years and still haven’t hit Castle Multiball. That would be a good side-tournament goal for this weekend.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

Maybe im speaking too soon since I dont have the game yet (but if all goes well plan on having 1 in the next few months) but is there any chance you might revisit producing them? How many orders would you need to make production feasible?

Buying a correct part versus drilling is an easy choice for me!

I don't think I will revisit making them - the thing is the other fix is simply increasing the size of the holes in the diverter bracket. You aren't drilling anything under the playfield. You take the bracket off, and simply enlarge the holes. After it's installed back in the game, you can't even tell anything was done - other than it working better LOL.

#37 6 years ago

I used a stepper drill bit to make the enlargement - simple increments, no guessing or slips. The metal of the mounting bracket is really soft and drills thru very easily.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#38 6 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

Here’s the left orbit fix.

Here’s a view of ball travel between the two games. The pro ramp is so long that the time to flipper is virtual the same if you don’t flip on the upper playfield

Hah! Nice try. I used to make this same exact argument for TFLE ironhide ramp vs the pro. Reality is, It's not just about travel time, but the flow and feeling of the shot and ramp. Pro owns this aspect big time (as it does on TF pro as well). The Stark Pro ramp is such a great ramp to hit especially off a right to left orbit return; that feeling is lost on the prem/le. The pro flows better than any other pin around, its not just a pro vs le debate cause it's one of, if not the best, flowing pins out there. That said, does that make it better than the prem/le? NO! it depends on what you as a player prefer and are looking for in a home environment - speed & flow vs aesthetics and variety. I really dig the upper playfield on GOT, but i do feel it's chemistry does not suit well with the rest of the ruleset as it feels like the rules were built around the pro. If the game ever gets that last rinse of polish that it deserves and needs, I hope that upper playfield ruleset is revisited. And for those that think being able to increase mode timers on the upper playfield is a mark against the pro; keep in mind that the pro plays so good and fast you dont need time extensions haha. And the pops do award time extensions, not that you typically need it.

Bottom line, both are great. Try them both and pick the version that suits your personal pinball needs.

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from markp99:

I used a stepper drill bit to make the enlargement - simple increments, no guessing or slips. The metal of the mounting bracket is really soft and drills thru very easily.

Awesome thanks for that!

#40 6 years ago

The upper playfield doesn't just add time extensions. If you complete all 3 targets and the turnaround, the upper playfield targets will take out shots for you (ala Hadron in GOTG). I don't use this very much, but when I'm on ball 3 and trying to finish a mode to start HOTK, it's very useful.

#41 6 years ago

I’ll bring my GOTLE to SFGE in June so folks can check it out. Keep an open mind. One nuance I haven’t seen mentioned is that you get one free VUK ride to the upper playfield per ball. I like to short-plunge, and save that opportunity for when I need it. It’s a free feed to the left flipper, if nothing else.

1 week later
#42 5 years ago

For those who like the pro better, is it because you play it on location (don't own it and therefore dont play it as much) or do you have it in home and spent significant time on it but still prefer it without the upper playfield?

It seems to me that if it were just on location it might be more fun to play the pro as it seems more accessible for someone that doesnt want to get into the deep rules or simply doesnt have the time (or quarters) to do so. But maybe in a home environment the prem/le might be better because you can really sink your teeth into it for an indefinite amount of time to appreciate the upper playfield?

In other words do you have to invest alot of time into it to enjoy (and understand) the upper playfield? Wondering if visiting frineds and family will enjoy the premium if they just play it for a short time.

I havent (and may not) get a chance to play either one, i am only seeing videos of gameplay but by theme alone this pin will end up in the lineup.

I just keep bouncing back and forth from pro to prem and still need help which way to go...argghhh!!!

BIG QUESTION:
Do you think the prem is worth a nib price of $7300 In todays market?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

For those who like the pro better, is it because you play it on location (don't own it and therefore dont play it as much) or do you have it in home and spent significant time on it but still prefer it without the upper playfield?
It seems to me that if it were just on location it might be more fun to play the pro as it seems more accessible for someone that doesnt want to get into the deep rules or simply doesnt have the time (or quarters) to do so. But maybe in a home environment the prem/le might be better because you can really sink your teeth into it for an indefinite amount of time to appreciate the upper playfield?
In other words do you have to invest alot of time into it to enjoy (and understand) the upper playfield? Wondering if visiting frineds and family will enjoy the premium if they just play it for a short time.
I havent (and may not) get a chance to play either one, i am only seeing videos of gameplay but by theme alone this pin will end up in the lineup.
I just keep bouncing back and forth from pro to prem and still need help which way to go...argghhh!!!
BIG QUESTION:

I prefer the premium/LE. You should be able to get a premium second-hand for about $6000. Not sure if they are still available NIB, but if so the NIB price should be more like $6800, not $7300.

#44 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

I prefer the premium/LE. You should be able to get a premium second-hand for about $6000. Not sure if they are still available NIB, but if so the NIB price should be more like $6800, not $7300.

I havent made calls yet but searching online, for those few who do still have it listed in stock as nib, the lowest I found was 7300 and the most was 7800. These prices includes shipping no tax.

For prices like 6800, does that usually include shipping or local pickup?

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

I havent made calls yet but searching online, for those few who do still have it listed in stock as nib, the lowest I found was 7300 and the most was 7800. These prices includes shipping no tax.
For prices like 6800, does that usually include shipping or local pickup?

You need to pickup the phone and call some distributors. They advertise full MSRP, but can do better. Shipping included.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

You need to pickup the phone and call some distributors. They advertise full MSRP, but can do better. Shipping included.

Thanks, will do when the time comes and great to know.

Just have to make sure on if the prem is what I really want!

#47 5 years ago

Bought a premium from cointaker a couple months ago. No tax cause i’m In jersey and they delivered it and put it in my basement for free. Great customer service too.

#48 5 years ago

Got for 6,800.

#49 5 years ago
Quoted from charles4400:

BIG QUESTION:

I’ve owned my pro for 2 1/2 years. It’s a fantastic game flow and rules wise. I do not prefer the prem or LE gameplay wise; art wise they smoke the pro. Problem with prem that I have is that the entire games ruleset is built around the pro. The stark ramp whipping around to the left flipper like a true ramp is the biggest difference between the 2 models, but the upper playfield also lacks interesting rules that don’t synergizes well like the pro does. There is also a visibility factor that helps a lot on the pro because the ramps and orbits are so fast.

The only thing I can say is better than the pro is that it’s a harder game because of all things I mentioned above.

That all said, there’s quite a few bugs in GOT. One of which is a big game changer and you have to nerf settings for winter multiball if you don’t want anyone to duplicate the bug and get 30 billion points on your game. This is a little bit of a downer because winter multiball needs a tweak for the better, not nerfed for the worse.

#50 5 years ago

I think it’s important to have a “pure speed” game, whether it’s GOTG, SW, IM, JM or GOT Pro. Right now GOTG Pro is my speed demon, and GOTLE is my deep game. I think they go together really well. That’s why there’s no one answer to this question. I personally find GOT Pro to be easier than the Pre/LE, not harder. I blew up a GOT Pro in state finals, and I’m not a great player.

At the end of the day, things like the battering ram sensitivity matter much more than whether you have an upper playfield or not.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Alpine, CALIFORNIA
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-2-yearsdo-you-still-like-your-got-premle-upper-playfield and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.