Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 years ago by Lach
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 13 years ago

Hi I have a 1995 DataEast Star Wars machine and I have a new problem. When I turn the machine on, whether playing or not, after a few minutes the dot matrix display goes blank, and it wont come back. Once its gone off a quick ON and OFF of the power does NOT bring it back, but if its left off for a while, turn it on and again it'll work for a minute or two then go blank.

I cant recall which fuse is for the display, is it the PPB one? But I have looked at ALL the fuses in the backbox and they all look ok. And if a fuse was gone it wouldnt work at all I figure.

So Im thinking it must be some sort of over heating maybe? I wouldnt have a clue where to determine that or how to fix it.

Please help, please!

Lach
Canberra, Australia.

#2 13 years ago

Sounds like your HV's gone on your PSB........ Get a can of air, hold it upside-down and spray it on your caps...

#3 13 years ago

HV meaning high voltage transformer/s? Caps meaning capacitors? You can see a blown capacitor, it will have the cooling fluid cooked out of it normaly right on top. A swelled or domed top is a sign of over heating and failing.

What you described is normal symptoms of a failing transformer. If you have blown capacitors, it could have lead to the failure, a contributing factor. Look at the PCB board, (printed circuit board). Is there any browning or discoloration, signs of overheating? It's a good place to start.

You can google the numbers on the parts to get the data sheets/values. When testing parts you should remove them from the board to get accurate readings.

#4 13 years ago

I know what MCO is talking about. It's not a fix but a troubleshooting "tool". I do the same thing at work. Holding the canned air upside down will make it come out as a cold liquid. You can buy something like "Freez-It" but canned air is more readily available.

Cooling a leaking or bad capacitor will increase it's dielectric and cause contraction of the internal plates that might be shorting. We also use the same technique for troubleshooting bad IC's.

About IC's:

It's more prevalent with surface mount IC's but there are these things that grow called "tin whiskers". They have taken down some satellites when companies went to not including lead in the soldering process because of reasons you probably know. The lead slows but does not eliminate the problem. It is still not resolved and the closer and finer things get in micron spacing it's not going to get better. Spraying on a cold liquid causes these "whiskers" to contract. Many time resoldering the IC fixes the problem and it breaks the connection the "whisker" made.

#5 13 years ago

Although I never owned / worked on a DE pin ,
would swapping out the power supply board with one that is known to be good
a quick way to find fault with the HV side?

#6 13 years ago

Yes it would,however, DE DMD machines have 3 different generation PSB's. Only "plug n play" I know of is the aftermarkets. Of the aftermarkets 1 brand is known for killing the DMD in random machines (DON"T risk buying the cheap Rotten dog, I killed 2 DMD's on different machines w/it). K's arcade sells rebuilt PSB's for under $100 or if you have multiple DE games,do what it did.. I bought a JOLT $130 that will fit all of them. If the HV goes out I put the jolt in until I rebuild the HV on the original.

#7 13 years ago

I think the solder on the dmd driver board needs to be reflowed. It is easy, only takes 30 mins or so and fixes this problem often.

Not the whole board, just the connectors and such.

but it is also possible the high voltage section does need rebuilt, however if it is working fine and then not, a reflow can fix this a lot of times.

#8 13 years ago

All, amazing response, thanks, I'll have a look at the capacitors and do the air thing, the machine was wrapped up for ten months (probably should have posted that) so I'll check it out and see if these work! (On the powerboard, I blew it about 2 years ago and bought a replacement which has worked great...maybe until now!).

Lach.

1 week later
#9 13 years ago

All, so, this amateur tried the upside-down air can, without success, same problem.

There are no signs of a blow capacitor, and browning from overheating anywhere I can see, so I am lost.

Other thoughts? I cant even take it to a repair place because there are none here! Shipping the whole machine to Melbourne is not an option either.

#10 13 years ago

If you need the board repaired, usually you can ship just the board to a repair shop, not the whole machine.

You have read through this, right?:

http://www.pinrepair.com/de/index3.htm#dots

#11 13 years ago

From pinrepair.com:

If the dot matrix display is not working on a DataEast game, this is a summary of the things to check:

Check the voltages at the display board: -110, -98, 68, 12 and 5 volts (or within 10% of those values).

Double check the 5 volt connection to the display board.

Check the 18 volt backbox lamp matrix fuse.

Check data ribbon cable from CPU to display board.

On small 128x16 DataEast games, check/replace resistor R95 on the display.
Replace the ROMs on Display board.

#12 13 years ago

More applicable:

Dot Matrix Display works for 5 minutes than goes blank.

This is a very common problem with all DataEast dot matrix displays, and is often related to the connector bring power to the display's computer board (mounted on the back dot matrix panel), or power to the display itself. On the large sized DMDs especially, the 5 volt .156" Molex connector going to the DMD's computer often needs new Trifurcon pins crimped into place (red and black wires usually). Also the 5/12/HV power going from the power supply to the display itself often develops bad .156" connectors pins too (on the display and/or the power supply), requiring new terminal pins.

#13 13 years ago

Jalpert, no, I had not read that article. Despite having the beast for 7 years Im still a total newbie at maintenance and repair. Thanks a million, that article looks like the problem for sure. Thanks again. Will let all know once this thing is fixed!!

Lach

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-2-minutes-display-goes-black and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.