Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20140316_173849_901.jpg
IMG_20140316_173707_563.jpg
Picard WTF.jpeg
81388661.jpg
IMG_0467.JPG

There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

After enjoying my WOZ for the last couple months, it finally quit playing.

The problem...the ball lock won't release the balls. At first, I could shake the machine, and the arm would raise and release a ball. Then, when locking ball #2, I noticed that the arm would twitch a bit, like it was wanting to lift, but it wouldn't.

The arm won't raise in coil test.

I also noticed I now have an issure in test report. It is telling me to check matrixed switch #70 RESCU(E).

Not sure what's up.

#2 9 years ago

Not sure on the coil but you can test the (E) by pressing it during switch mode. Maybe it just never gets hit. I had a standup actually not work and had to remove the castle pf and resolder the wires.

#3 9 years ago

Paging Dr. Olsen, Dr. Lloyd Olsen report to the O.R. Stat!

send him a pm and i bet he gets back to you quickly.

#4 9 years ago

Join the club...nothing new.

#5 9 years ago

Just a shot in the dark, but have you tested switch #70?

Quoted from indypinhead:

I also noticed I now have an issure in test report. It is telling me to check matrixed switch #70 RESCU(E).

Not sure what's up.

#6 9 years ago

I wish everyone would post every time a game malfunctions.

#7 9 years ago

From the title I would think you couldn't wait for it to break down?

#8 9 years ago

So your giving him crap for asking for help? Wtf!

And yes most folks that don't know what an issue is do post whenever their game breaks down. And usually get lots of help.

#9 9 years ago

Switch #70, you likely haven't hit in awhile. Please go to Tests - Switches - Matrixed and push it with your finger.

The ball lock coil. Please consider a few things. No balls in it, does it work in Tests - Coils - with high power interlock switch pulled out ?

The arm the holds the balls, should be bent towards the front of the game a little. So it doen's pick up the first ball a little and stick.

In Settings - Coils - scroll down towards the bottom and see the timing for 1 ball lock, 2 ball lock, 3 ball lock, increase the timing for the first one by 500, then more or less depending on how it works.

See the picture ? See the two rivets and the nose poking between them on the right side ? ( not the one on the left ) you can bend that up or down to bring the metal plate closer to the coil so the coil when energized grabs it better.

If that coil doesn't work at all, then start checking for a broken wire.

LTG : )™

IMG_0467.JPGIMG_0467.JPG
#10 9 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

So your giving him crap for asking for help? Wtf!
And yes most folks that don't what an issue is do post whenever their game breaks down. And usually get lots of help.

Overreact much?

The game broke down? No. The game has a problem.

#11 9 years ago

The game is having a issue that prob. Needs adjustment. Its a pinball machine they need adjusting. But broken down come on man!

#12 9 years ago

The game broke down.......face reality.

#13 9 years ago

Edit. Nevermind the WOZ family is so supportive....

#14 9 years ago

Games break down. Reality faced.

#15 9 years ago

I just don't see why any malfunction warrants a news bulletin. I didn't see any request for help.

JJP has great support, why do we need to hear about it? Especially in the website subforum???

#16 9 years ago

Wow...tough crowd tonight .....lighten up guys, its only pinball.

#17 9 years ago

Topic moved to tech.

I don't think there was anything wrong with opening post. A game that is not releasing locked balls would seem "broken down" to me. Granted, it's a matter of how you look at things but it hardly warrants giving OP crap for posting a tech support question.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from robin:

Granted, it's a matter of how you look at things but it hardly warrants giving OP crap for posting a tech support question.

Thanks Robin,

My post wasn't started as an attempt to stir up anything.

I absolutely LOVE my WOZ. The machine has been playing flawlessly since I pulled it out of the box.

The reason for my post...WOZ is a complete different machine compared to what I'm used to. Sure, it just a pinball machine, but everyone that has a WOZ knows it's different from anything we've seen in the past.

I just don't get it....why is there so many people that are just hell-bent on creating drama in EVERY WOZ/JJP post?

Quoted from robin:A game that is not releasing locked balls would seem "broken down" to me.

The game won't play, it says it's searching for balls.

I'm going to take another look at it this morning.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

In Settings - Coils - scroll down towards the bottom and see the timing for 1 ball lock, 2 ball lock, 3 ball lock, increase the timing for the first one by 500, then more or less depending on how it works.

Lloyd,

I noticed just before this happened, if I were to make a ramp shot, the ball would hit the holding arm, just prior to the arm raising. It did this several times before the 2 balls got locked, and basically ended my game.

I powered the machine down. When I powered the machine back up, the arm never raised to release the balls, like it usually does.

Will changing the timing, like you suggested, change this? Will it cause the arm to raise up just a smidgeon faster?

I really enjoy having the ability to make all of the changes to the settings. I wish all pinball machines were like this.

JJP, IMO has built the best machine ever made. I'll continue to wish them success. I'm looking forward to future JJP games...keep up the good work guys. You really hit it out of the park on your first attempt at pinball manufacturing.

#20 9 years ago

have you tested those switches?

#21 9 years ago

By the way, after powering down the machine the second time, on fire-up, the arm raised and released the balls.

I did the test on the E switch...everything works fine. I need to adjust the switch to make it a little more sensitive though.

In coil test, the arm is now raising as it should, with, and without balls being trapped.

I just played a game, everything appears to be working once again.

#22 9 years ago

You have a bad switch!

#23 9 years ago

Who did I give crap? I was just imagining what Pinside would be like if everyone felt compelled to post every time a machine went wonky.

He didn't even ask for help!

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

See the picture ? See the two rivets and the nose poking between them on the right side ? ( not the one on the left ) you can bend that up or down to bring the metal plate closer to the coil so the coil when energized grabs it better.
If that coil doesn't work at all, then start checking for a broken wire.

This.

I've had to make this exact adjustment on many games now.

It's a pinball machine, they need adjustments periodically.

--
Rob Anthony
Pinball Classics
http://LockWhenLit.com
Quality Board Work - In Home Service
borygard at gmail dot com

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from DanQverymuch:

I was just imagining what Pinside would be like if everyone felt compelled to post every time a machine went wonky.

Could you imagine what Pinside would be like if everyone felt compelled to post every time a judgmental thought popped in to their head?

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Could you imagine what Pinside would be like if everyone felt compelled to post every time a judgmental thought popped in to their head?

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/

#27 9 years ago

^^^^^^^^^
LOL

#28 9 years ago

I just don't see why any malfunction warrants a news bulletin. I didn't see any request for help.

JJP has great support, why do we need to hear about it? Especially in the website subforum???

People post pinball malfunctions all the time. Why should this one be treated any different?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

People post pinball malfunctions all the time. Why should this one be treated any different?

DifferentLY. It's an adverb, modifying the verb 'treated.'

You're welcome.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from PappyBoyington:

Once again, he didn't even ask for help, and he posted in the wrong subforum.

WOZ has the best support in the biz, just PM Lloyd.

It'd be different if it were something on which he even needed our input (e.g. an old game). Pinside is getting too cluttered with noise.

Quoted from StevenP:

DifferentLY. It's an adverb, modifying the verb 'treated.'

Guess what? "Different" can be an adverb without any "ly." http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/different

#31 9 years ago

my game has the exact problem as the OP, the ball lock holder worked intermittently. Recently, in the ball lock test, the arm would not move at all (even after bending the arm up slightly). I touched one of the wires (while still in the test) and it started to arc. Upon close inspection, it turns out the solder was gone (or never there) on that wire, thus causing a poor connection at times.

Once the wires were both re-soldered, the mechanism worked great.

Jesse

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Like the one you just posted?

#33 9 years ago

I had the exact problem.
I had the heat up and reflow solder on both coils under the munchkin house.
Fortunately its a super easy fix and took less than 10 mins to fix.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

I had the exact problem.

Indeed I had the same problem with the coil -- a wire was not securely soldered to the coil lug and let go.

Before the wire problem, I had an adjustment problem that the arm wasn't lifting. It turned out to be one of
the coil wires interfering with the lift arm. A slight adjustment in the wire and the lift arm works well.

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from minnesota13:

Indeed I had the same problem with the coil

I sent some photo's of this problem to LTG awhile ago.
Evidently the person doing the soldering was a novice, leaving cold solder joints when the munchkinland assembly was installed.
My game is #332 so I imagine later games have this problem solved?

Either way it was super easy to fix. ROCK SOLID now.

#36 9 years ago

Like the one you just posted?

I know you are, but what am I? You're right, Pinside is getting cluttered with too much noise., Most of it from people like you that never post an original thought, just responses to others and then the subsequent derailing of the thread from the back and forth. And 99 out of 100 of your responses are in some way negative, "down my noseish", smart alecy or possess some other holier than thou or entitled connotation. I used to think and have the complete need to be "right" all the time too... Then I got married and reality set in. If you don't have value to add, just move on bro...

81388661.jpg81388661.jpg

#37 9 years ago

When my WOZ acts up, I usually post on the JJP forum. But to each his own. I agree with Hwawonyu (see? we agree on something!) that one of the greatest things about this forum is the ability to get answers to just about any problem almost immediately. It makes my wife think I'm a friggin' genius.

Like, now I'm gonna head over to the Congo owners' thread and ask about a switch problem. The difference with that machine is for some reason, whenever people have a problem with it, they don't get attacked for reaching out.

Only happens with WOZ. And that, my friends, sounds like a personal problem. Big time.

#38 9 years ago

: )

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from TheDarkKnight68:

I know you are, but what am I? You're right, Pinside is getting cluttered with too much noise., Most of it from people like you that never post an original thought, just responses to others and then the subsequent derailing of the thread from the back and forth. And 99 out of 100 of your responses are in some way negative, "down my noseish", smart alecy or possess some other holier than thou or entitled connotation. I used to think and have the complete need to be "right" all the time too... Then I got married and reality set in. If you don't have value to add, just move on bro...

Hypocrites really get my goat.

I'd like to see documentation of this 99 out of 100 lie. Intelligent people find my input at least mildly humorous most of the time. My thumbs up to post count ratio is usually as high as anyone's on here, higher than most. I just don't post 50 times a day.

I believe we are all entitled to contribute in whatever way we see fit. If I'm abusive, I think I would heave heard something about it before this.

Don't tell me about reality setting in when you get married, it really sets in when your wife gets killed in a car wreck, like happened to me.

#40 9 years ago

I do not own this title. But it does sound like one of the lock switches and or the solenoid that drives the arm.
One or the other is likely not acting correctly.

Best of luck with repairs

#41 9 years ago

He had a problem and wanted help, you don't have to hear about it because there is no reason for you to click this thread if you don't want to hear about it! I highly doubt he bought this expensive machine just so he could wait for it to break and come on here to bash JJP. There are a ton of threads for problems with new machines, STLE has them with the vengeance and Metallica with the drop targets and hammer. All somewhat minor problems but people made threads about them asking for help. Yeah this guy didn't come right out and say "I need help" but anyone can infer that he wanted help by reading his first post. And he posted in the wrong sub forum? Give me a break! Move along man, there's nothing for you in this thread.

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from Joshmx19:

He had a problem and wanted help, you don't have to hear about it because there is no reason for you to click this thread if you don't want to hear about it! I highly doubt he bought this expensive machine just so he could wait for it to break and come on here to bash JJP. There are a ton of threads for problems with new machines, STLE has them with the vengeance and Metallica with the drop targets and hammer. All somewhat minor problems but people made threads about them asking for help. Yeah this guy didn't come right out and say "I need help" but anyone can infer that he wanted help by reading his first post. And he posted in the wrong sub forum? Give me a break! Move along man, there's nothing for you in this thread.

Nothing but a bunch of aholes attacking me over nothing!

His post was a report about how his WOZ "finally broke down"! That verbiage sounds like an indictment, like it was overdue. HE DID NOT ASK FOR HELP. All I did was make a throwaway comment about breakdown reports. No attack whatsoever. It was not addressed to the OP, nor was it about him.

I will move along when I am damn good and ready. I did not deserve these personal attacks. Dunno why they are tolerated.

I promise you this: hypocrites telling me what to do will never result in acquiescence on my part.

#43 9 years ago

Come on, Dan...you're a good guy and we've agreed on many things WOZ-related in the past, but you're stretching it a bit here. He may not have explicitly asked for help in his post, but it was implicit in what he was saying. You're a smart guy, as are most of the nerds...er...guys on this forum (and I include myself in that!). You have to be smart to be in this hobby, or you won't last long! I think you know he was posting to ask for suggestions. This is really one of the only things I hate about Pinside - you shouldn't be the object of scorn or ridicule for any reason whatsoever. I think of this forum as a community of like-minded hobbyists...and sometimes I wish they would act that way.

I apologize if anything I said was taken wrong by you - I certainly meant no personal attack on you, and have never done that (as far as I can remember) on this forum.

#44 9 years ago

Release the balls manually. Then test the lock mech via solonoid test

If it works without balls in it, then you need to bend the lock mech slightly. There is more info on this in the drama free jjp forum. This place is a playground for misbehaved kiddies!

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

After enjoying my WOZ for the last couple months, it finally quit playing.
The problem...the ball lock won't release the balls. At first, I could shake the machine, and the arm would raise and release a ball. Then, when locking ball #2, I noticed that the arm would twitch a bit, like it was wanting to lift, but it wouldn't.
The arm won't raise in coil test.
Not sure what's up.

OP, you have two issues. Let's just take them one at a time.

The RESCU(E) switch. From what I noticed, they added a lot of new counts in 4.0. Just by position the (E) switch doesn't get hit that often. Plus, after the upgrade, the new counts seemed to find things that just haven't been hit in a while. As others said, pop the glass off, go into switch test and just trigger it with your finger. It is probably just gapped a bit too far.

My opinion is that they may change the counts in a later revision for this stuff. Some of them seemed to be too small. Kind of like the older Williams game that would report switch errors, like 74 on Getaway which simply meant you were playing crappy for too long, or the triggers on the Demo Man handles.

The other one (ball lock) is a problem a few people have had. And it can be a bit difficult to understand. But really what is going on is that the U in the front of that wireform gets a bit too low and hooks the front of the first ball. That coil is not strong enough to move the wireform up, and it gets worse the more balls that are behind it because they lean on the first ball in the lock increasing it's effective weight against the wireform.

The easiest solution for that is to first release the balls, and then test that coil in the test menus. If it reacts normally with no balls there, you will need to bend the wireform up a bit so the middle of the ball rests against the bottom of the U at the front of the wireform. If the release does NOT work in the tests, most likely it is a bad connection / broken solder joint. Both of them are pretty quick fixes.

And yes, the posting topic was inflammatory in my opinion. You might want to try something like "Balls not releasing from lock on WOZ", or something stating the actual issue rather than "My WOZ finally broke down". But hey, if that is the way you want to state it, have at it.

And if you need a picture describing what I mean by the U shape in the wireform, let me know. I'd be happy to help. And if you're not comfortable adjusting that yourself, you can set the locks to be virtual until someone more comfortable with it can look at it. And just so you are aware, sometimes when you adjust that wireform it changes the timings of the locks. So if you start getting two balls when it should only release one you will need to shorten the time the gate is open (That last one is just FYI).

Dave

#46 9 years ago

I think you would heave too.

#47 9 years ago

I just don't understand the hate for the OP here. You JJP freaks are acting like he spent retarded money for his WOZ just so it could break on him and he could bitch about it. Does Jack pay you guys? He even stated he loves his game and thats not enough for you? Dan check out this thread, your head will probably explode... https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wozs-always-out-of-order-on-location/page/6#post-1769917

I'm glad Lloyd and DaveH are trying to help the OP, I really think that is all he wanted.

#48 9 years ago

That explains why there's so many jjp woz for sale in the market place .....

ALL HAIL TO THE KING "Gary H. Stern"

#49 9 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

ALL HAIL TO THE KING "Garry Stern"

There are no Stern pins for sale in the market place ?

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from Monarca1091:

ALL HAIL TO THE KING "Garry Stern"

Who's "Garry"?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
There are 61 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-2-12-months-my-woz-finally-broke-down/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.