(Topic ID: 109710)

After 14 years of owning pins, I'm joining the club.

By herg

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 67 posts
  • 43 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by steve1515
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
    IMG_20141116_173023.jpg
    IMG_20141116_093218.jpg
    IMG_20141112_171603709.jpg
    IMG_3213.JPG
    IMG_3215.JPG
    There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
    #51 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I had a glass explode in my hands as I was sliding it back in place. I've never seen glass jump up and to the left before but that's what happened ... right into the salad bar they were about to put out for their customers.

That's some final destination stuff right there.

#52 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I can relate to it as well. A few years ago while I was cleaning one of my games on route in a bar that also serves food, I had a glass explode in my hands as I was sliding it back in place. I've never seen glass jump up and to the left before but that's what happened ... right into the salad bar they were about to put out for their customers. I had to buy the whole thing and they had to set up a little later after I cleaned up all the mess. I'm still finding glass inside that game even though I've vacuumed it out several times.
    Steve

Did they make you pay for the whole thing, or did you offer? Accidents happen.

#53 9 years ago

I have broken a few but never while on the pinball machine. What a mess that is to clean up!

#54 9 years ago

http://www.amazon.com/Security-Window-Film-Wide-Roll/dp/B004LDBPY2/ref=sr_1_4

maybe not a bad Idea if you know how to install without bubbles. I just ordered some to test out.

#55 9 years ago

Eventually it'll happen to all us pinheads...

I was holding a pin2000 glass in my garage. Very cold outside, garage door open, holding the glass with one warm hand on each side talking with my wife, a few minutes elapsed and....the explosion was impressive. I was still finding tiny nuggets of glass in the garage a year later..

#56 9 years ago

I offered and paid, It was the right thing to do.

Steve

Quoted from Geocab:

Did they make you pay for the whole thing, or did you offer? Accidents happen.

#57 9 years ago

It was the right thing, I agree. But it would have bothered me if they made you pay without your offer.

#58 9 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I offered and paid, It was the right thing to do.

I'm sure paying a few hundred dollars to buy the salad bar was cheaper than the lawsuits likely to happen if they decided to go ahead and serve a glass fragment filled salad bar.

#59 9 years ago
    Quoted from aalucero:

amazon.com link »
    maybe not a bad Idea if you know how to install without bubbles. I just ordered some to test out.

I'd appreciate it if you let us know how it turns out. I have a buddy who does window installations, so I've texted him to ask him if he has any recommendations for putting something on the glass. I've never broken one before, but the idea of having some sort of film on there that might prevent shards from going all over creation sounds pretty appealing to me. I also will post anything he suggests or mentions.

Andretti

#60 9 years ago
    Quoted from aalucero:

maybe not a bad Idea if you know how to install without bubbles.

Im a graphic installer by trade. Just use soapy water and a good squeegee.Let it fully dry and then trim edges. Piece of cake. Not sure how optically clear it will be though. Also wondering if ball strikes would quickly scratch the surface.

#61 9 years ago

I too own a graphic shop I will post before and after pics

#62 9 years ago

wow, first time i've seen glass break by getting hit in the machine. Usually the edge has to get damaged for it to happen. I know you can't break it by having girls sitting on it or kneeling on 4's.

#63 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I know you can't break it by having girls sitting on it or kneeling on 4's.

#64 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I know you can't break it by having girls sitting on it or kneeling on 4's.

BTDT

#65 9 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wow, first time i've seen glass break by getting hit in the machine.

Me too! BTW, I don't have any superpowers that I'm aware of.

Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Usually the edge has to get damaged for it to happen.

I'm guessing that somehow I caused the edge of the glass to rub against the lockdown bar. Like I mentioned before, the lockdown bar has always been a tight fit on this game.

3 weeks later
    #66 9 years ago

I bought the glass protector today I will post before and after pics as soon as it comes in.

#67 9 years ago

I put some foam beer seal on one of my lockdown bars because of this thread. Before it was glass on metal.

There are 67 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/after-14-years-of-owning-pins-im-joining-the-club/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.