• MBR 63 votes
    17%

(371 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56E668EF-A4CB-425D-B642-23BE013E70A0 (resized).jpeg
68621881_2351120928335991_9035867311038267392_n (resized).jpg
9D753EFC-205D-4836-B2D7-50BD46C3324E (resized).jpeg

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 4 years ago

Pretty simple, which is your favorite remake of the big 3 and why?

#2 4 years ago

A new remake should be out soon

#3 4 years ago

AFMr, because out of those three, AFM was the best original.

And the only reason I own an AFM at all was because of the remakes. The prices had gone crazy, and I had accepted that I’d never own one. After the remakes, I ended up with a reasonably priced classic, and I couldn’t be happier with it. The game is just fun, and the call outs still amuse me.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

The game is just fun, and the call outs still amuse me.

Return to battle soldier!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

AFMr, because out of those three, AFM was the best original.
And the only reason I own an AFM at all was because of the remakes. The prices had gone crazy, and I had accepted that I’d never own one. After the remakes, I ended up with a reasonably priced classic, and I couldn’t be happier with it. The game is just fun, and the call outs still amuse me.

True but the big three are the ones I'm most interested in for now. I would like to have them all truthfully.

#6 4 years ago

First of all, this is like being asked whether you'd go on a date with Ms. Universe, Ms. World, or Ms. America... they are all great... but... AFMr.

Attack from Mars is a fantastic game and one that appeals to all skill levels. I unexpectedly got one last year and it was an absolute blast. The game has objectives for both beginner pinball players and experts alike. I am guessing that less than 1 in 10 machine owners has ever "Ruled The Universe", but even if you are not an expert there are so many things you can do. That first time player can get up there and figure out on their own that if they hit the 3 bank, it drops... the playfield changes and you can destroy the ship. The integrated shaker that goes nuts when you destroy the ship makes it a satisfying shot. There is also a great risk reward with each additional city taking more shots to destroy the saucer, and it is a dangerous shot. There are also tons of things to do with 6 main objectives. Once you are beyond pure beginner stage you can start going for repeated ramp hits, bumper shots, and 4 or 5 multiball modes. This was the first remake with the jumbo screen and it really pops. The LE topper is one of the greatest toppers in pinball. All in all it is a great game and a great package. It's a flowy game with great humore and a multitude of goals.

Medieval Madness is a packed game with a similar feel to AFM, but the pop up trolls are love it or hate it and I am in the hate it category.

Monster Bash Remake is packed with toys, and a great game for beginners to intermediate players, but is much easier to "beat" than the other two.

You can't go wrong with any of them. My recommendation for anyone seriously looking at these is to... get all 3! Buy a nice used AFMr SE for about $6700, then trade it for a MBr SE after a year, then trade it and about $1000 for a MMr in a year. Viva variety.

#7 4 years ago

AFMr in the lead

#8 4 years ago

AFMr has it all and gets my vote.

#9 4 years ago

Having owned all three, AFMr with MMr barely behind. MB is a good game, casual players loved it but just didn't have the lastability.

#10 4 years ago

It’s a near dead heat with AFMr and MMr for me, but AFMr wins out and MBr in a somewhat distance third.

AFMr just puts a smile on everyone’s face when they play it. All the way down from my 2.5 year old up to my 90 year grandma who laughed at the callouts. The overall package just has an incredible amount of charm and campiness that is pretty timeless. It’s a gateway drug to becoming a pinball addict.

#11 4 years ago

I found the Classic Editions to be a great value. I never thought I'd be able to afford an Attack From Mars, but I was able to pick one up at the price of a Stern (Pro).

#12 4 years ago

afmr

#13 4 years ago

MMR

#14 4 years ago

Remake wise probably AFM because of the topper favorite to play is probably MB I personally enjoy that game a lot.

#15 4 years ago

Wow AFM is the clear favorite so far, interesting.

#16 4 years ago

MBR

#17 4 years ago

Measles
Mumps
Rubella

For
Me .

#18 4 years ago

MM over AFM for me. Better toy, better art, better humor, better theme, better layout. All opinion of course.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

MM over AFM for me. Better toy, better art, better humor, better theme, better layout. All opinion of course.

I’ll say one thing about MM, that castle is the best toy in pinball history.

#20 4 years ago

MM. Great Multiballs, and Barn Yard MB is a totally cool Easter egg. Extra Ball rules are outstanding. Video mode is actually kinda hard. And fantastic toys, humor, dots and layout.

But I’d be very happy with the other two as well. I think MB is the least desirable of the 3, but that’s not saying much. Blonde, brunette or redhead?

#21 4 years ago

AFMR is the only one I've played that feels like a (restored) original. MMR has geometry/assembly issues and MBR just feels... wrong.

Remake apologists, downvote to your heart's content.

#22 4 years ago

I wonder if the voting results would change after the MMR RE and SE (and upgrade options for current owners) are finally out.
The XL dmd, topper, lighting, and powder coating all look great in pictures.
I don't think any pin out there has a better topper than AFMRLE does though

#23 4 years ago

And I thought I was in the AFM minority.

#24 4 years ago

Ha, I have two of the 3 and not the most popular AFM. I just got MMr yesterday and haven’t even played it. Looks like I will get AFMr soon.

9D753EFC-205D-4836-B2D7-50BD46C3324E (resized).jpeg9D753EFC-205D-4836-B2D7-50BD46C3324E (resized).jpeg
#25 4 years ago

Pick the theme you like most (MBR). They have very similar shots and gameplay structures.

#26 4 years ago

I haven’t really spent too much time on the remakes but do enjoy my restored original mb though. The new XL displays are killer though and are a huge plus imo. Maybe soon I would like to add an AFMr. The theme and gameplay is fun and easy to jump into for guests.

#27 4 years ago

I've owned all three....its really a coin toss as all are great games. If I was forced to pick it for game play only it would be MMR, AFMR, and then MBR. The biggest difference is the cost between AFMRLE and MMRLE with the upgrades. You'll pay an extra $2K for the MMR with all the upgrades that AFMRLE and MBRLE already have (lighting, topper, and bigger screen). If I factored in cost than AFMRLE would be number one for sure....best topper in pinball.

#28 4 years ago

Almost bought a AFMr today but my distributor wanted 300 for shipping it two hours away. I was mmmmm no.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Almost bought a AFMr today but my distributor wanted 300 for shipping it two hours away. I was mmmmm no.

Drive and pick it up, two hours is nothing. I drove 4 hours each way for TNA last thursday.

#30 4 years ago

I drove 2.5 hours each way for a dang Black Rose yesterday.

My vote is AFM cause I own it. But would love to own all of them.

#31 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Drive and pick it up, two hours is nothing. I drove 4 hours each way for TNA last thursday.

I would but never use to get charged that. Might get a used game and make a trip elsewhere.

#32 4 years ago

I would pick MMR. I have had one for almost 2.5 years and try to play it everyday. I have only beat Battle for the Kingdom 3 times and it never gets old. In my opinion the art, theme, layout, call outs, music, toys and rules are better than AFMR. However AFM is a fantastic game and would love to own one. Whichever one you get you will be satisfied. For some reason though I can and do see how AFM is better even though my opinion stated everything is better on MM. Sometimes having less and being less attractive is better in the long run.

#33 4 years ago

AFM LE for me, it’s simple yet elegant. Can’t beat Martian multiball!!

#34 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

I've owned all three....its really a coin toss as all are great games. If I was forced to pick it for game play only it would be MMR, AFMR, and then MBR. The biggest difference is the cost between AFMRLE and MMRLE with the upgrades. You'll pay an extra $2K for the MMR with all the upgrades that AFMRLE and MBRLE already have (lighting, topper, and bigger screen). If I factored in cost than AFMRLE would be number one for sure....best topper in pinball.

I have all three also, I think you hit the nail on the head. Can't go wrong with owning any of them. I would have them in the same order but hope I never have to pick one to send away. That would be hard for me. Many would go before one of the three. When my friends come over they all get played a bunch.

#35 4 years ago

MMr because it got me into the hobby, so this will always have a special place with me.

The games are very similar how they play so normally I would say pick the theme that you like best but the castle toy is just nothing short of awesome. Can't go wrong with either one though, all of them deserve my quarters.

#36 4 years ago

MM loses me with the trolls. I personally find them to be a flow killing chore. Otherwise, it's a fantastic game. However, I do love the bouncing Martians. So my order is this.

1) AFMRLE
2) MMRLE
3) MBRLE

The only reason I haven't picked up an MMR is that I already have AFMR.

#37 4 years ago

I own MBr and I'd probably rate it 3rd out of those 3.

AFMr is the best shooter with flow.
MMr is the most-challenging and has the best shots.
MBr has the best light show & music.

It's a toss-up between those top two for me. I like MBr but I wouldn't cry if someone wanted to buy it off of me. My wife on the other hand... yeah this pin is probably not leaving any time soon.

#38 4 years ago

I would take an original AFM over any of these.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

I would take an original AFM over any of these.

Remakes are a far superior product....same game with better sound, graphics, and lighting

#40 4 years ago

Ah take your pick, they're all fine.

MM would be the bottom of my list personally.

Quoted from PtownPin:

Remakes are a far superior...lighting

Uff, no thanks.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Ah take your pick, they're all fine.
MM would be the bottom of my list personally.

Uff, no thanks.

couldn't disagree more....I've owned both and its not even close

#42 4 years ago

I've owned all 3. When i had afmr and mmr people played afmr 3 times as much as mmr. It got to the point where mmr wasnt even turned on at parties. Sold it and got a mbr and people like that a whole lot more. I think all 3 are great and ill own another medieval one day

#43 4 years ago

MMr

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Ha, I have two of the 3 and not the most popular AFM. I just got MMr yesterday and haven’t even played it. Looks like I will get AFMr soon.[quoted image]

Your shadow knows...

#45 4 years ago

You again? Attack!

#46 4 years ago

Owned an AFMle and regretfully, sold it. It’s fast, fun, bright and can get really wild when you get back to back multi balls/ extra balls going. It’s pretty electric. Strobe multi ball is way cool. Before buying one again, I would give MMR a go. I played a MM twice at the Michigan VFW show and was underwhelmed. I am guessing that the new MMR XL display games will be great and might tip the voting in its favor once people have a chance to experience it.

#47 4 years ago

Had all 3 originals at the same time... mb went within few months and mm was about year or so. Afm is still here and gets played alot..... Imo it's the most difficult and has the best code overall even know they are all similar.

#48 4 years ago

Have owned each remake

AFM
MM
MB

#49 4 years ago

Well I've learned a lot from you guys. It's interesting that Williams got out of making pinball machines shortly after these games. If these three games here couldn't save pinball at the time then I guess it really was dead.

#50 4 years ago

Have only played afmr and mmr.
Out of thoose afmr easily.
Much more fun and target balanced.
Approachable as no other. Destroying the saucer is so fun. Fairly varied modes and multiballs.

Downside:fairly easy and not really deep.
Not the best on the eye.

You'll probably keep it cause everyone coming over will insta-love it to.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-vs-mmr-vs-mbr-poll-added?hl=oneangrymo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.