• MBR 63 votes
    17%

(371 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

56E668EF-A4CB-425D-B642-23BE013E70A0 (resized).jpeg
68621881_2351120928335991_9035867311038267392_n (resized).jpg
9D753EFC-205D-4836-B2D7-50BD46C3324E (resized).jpeg
There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 4 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Ha, I have two of the 3 and not the most popular AFM. I just got MMr yesterday and haven’t even played it. Looks like I will get AFMr soon.[quoted image]

By far and way (IMO), Munsters is the best of all those shown there in that photo. Most unique experience in all of pinball; is multi ball on upper and lower playfield at the same time. Best looking game, equaling big 3 best shooting, ramps are most unique, lower PF could be a machine all on its own and I usually don’t care for lower PFs. Best art package and code is far deeper than any of the big three and I know people bash Munsters code. Try getting to level 3. It does need some more modes, but think Stern will do that sometime in the future, it great fun now. Munsters raven topper is best in pinball and so well interpreted into game play. Clock, coo-coo bird raven popping in and out taunting, lights showing active mode behind charters, light show. Raven clock mode. Try it you’ll love it. Guests love it the most and think it’s awesome fun.

After Munsters would vote for MM, but AFM is close. Just wish the original design of AFM had the toy that was designed to go over the center of the PF. It is obvious that is missing from AFM. MM castle is one of the best toys ever. Love its changing states, in relation to the ball. MB is also great fun and love the music and call outs in it. Lots of pop up toys.

#52 4 years ago

Hell yeah, Munsters rocks!

#53 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I've learned a lot from you guys. It's interesting that Williams got out of making pinball machines shortly after these games. If these three games here couldn't save pinball at the time then I guess it really was dead.

Thats because they weren't charging 8k with splitting cabinets and and playfields.

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Thats because they weren't charging 8k with splitting cabinets and and playfields.

That's a good point hoby. Lol

#55 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

By far and way (IMO), Munsters is the best of all those shown there in that photo. Most unique experience in all of pinball; is multi ball on upper and lower playfield at the same time. Best looking game, equaling big 3 best shooting, ramps are most unique, lower PF could be a machine all on its own and I usually don’t care for lower PFs. Best art package and code is far deeper than any of the big three and I know people bash Munsters code. Try getting to level 3. It does need some more modes, but think Stern will do that sometime in the future, it great fun now. Munsters raven topper is best in pinball and so well interpreted into game play. Clock, coo-coo bird raven popping in and out taunting, lights showing active mode behind charters, light show. Raven clock mode. Try it you’ll love it. Guests love it the most and think it’s awesome fun.
After Munsters would vote for MM, but AFM is close. Just wish the original design of AFM had the toy that was designed to go over the center of the PF. It is obvious that is missing from AFM. MM castle is one of the best toys ever. Love its changing states, in relation to the ball. MB is also great fun and love the music and call outs in it. Lots of pop up toys.

i think you've had a few too many cocktails .....

#56 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well I've learned a lot from you guys. It's interesting that Williams got out of making pinball machines shortly after these games. If these three games here couldn't save pinball at the time then I guess it really was dead.

Hard to compete with the money they made from slot machines and other gambling machines. Wish they would have done both.

#57 4 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

Hard to compete with the money they made from slot machines and other gambling machines. Wish they would have done both.

Yeah me too, that would have been nice. I guess when video games wiped out the arcades pinball was a casualty as well because of it.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from Navystan:

Ha, I have two of the 3 and not the most popular AFM. I just got MMr yesterday and haven’t even played it. Looks like I will get AFMr soon.[quoted image]

I thought you are selling MMr and bought it a year ago, did you get another one? Good to see someone else from the Burg.

#59 4 years ago

I am mesmerized by the beauty known as MBr. Of the three games, it is the worst and my least fav to play. Maybe it will follow me home and I can keep it as a trophy pinball.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am mesmerized by the beauty known as MBr.

Same here buddy, when you look at a MBR the whole world just stops for a minute.

#61 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

MMR has geometry/assembly issues and MBR just feels... wrong.

Agreed. I was on the initial team as an adviser for Chicago Gaming and recommended that the first remake should NOT be MM. My thoughts was to do an easier game first, like AFM, and work out all the issues before doing the top game (MM) first. I also did not like how CGC promised free color DMD updates to the limited edition buyers but at the end charged for it. I was not happy with the more transparent inserts on MM and was told by CGC that it would be fixed on the production run. My adviser role did not last very long due to my disagreements.

#62 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

AFMR is the only one I've played that feels like a (restored) original. MMR has geometry/assembly issues and MBR just feels... wrong.
Remake apologists, downvote to your heart's content.

I think you drank too much over the holidays....I've owned both and their exactly the same game

#63 4 years ago

Just curious, what are the perceived geometry issues of MMr?

#64 4 years ago
Quoted from Quadrat:

I will give wms credit for trying something new with RFM and SWE1. I think the design team was given one last push to make pinball relevant. It failed miserably, but I dont think they would have lasted much longer anyway.

I was selling pinball retail in the late 90s. Games that people desire now like CV or TOTAN were not popular games. I had a chance to buy my distributors floor model CV for 1600. I passed because I had no one who wanted it. Everytime I see a Congo pop up for 5k I cringe a little. I bought one for 600 at auction, cleaned it up, and sat on my floor with a 1795 tag on it for almost a year.

WMS moving to slot machines was a no brainer. If it wasn't for the slots supporting the pinball division, they wouldn't have lasted long enough to give us some of our favorite games.

#65 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

There is a delay with the software emulation and is very noticeable on MMr compared to AFMr.

#66 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

“Alleged”.

#67 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

There is a delay with the software emulation and is very noticeable on MMr compared to AFMr.

this is nonsense.

#68 4 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

this is nonsense.

The delay is there on MMr but someone who has little experience with an original MM may not notice it. I have owned an original MM for 15+ years. The MMr's just play differently.

#69 4 years ago

AFMr. The game is true to the original and then some. And which is why it is in my collection. I love the game for the same reasons everyone does. I just wish AFM had a couple more toys - like MM does. The single saucer is just not enough in my opinion. One more toy would have been great in this already great game.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

The delay is there on MMr but someone who has little experience with an original MM may not notice it. I have owned an original MM for 15+ years. The MMr's just play differently.

No they don't....I had a completely restored MM and an MMRLE right next to each other for 6 months, and there was ZERO difference....hundreds of people played both games and nobody could tell the difference....its total BS put out there by the pinball purists who were pissed that their originals dropped in price.

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

No they don't....I had a completely restored MM and an MMRLE right next to each other for 6 months, and there was ZERO difference....hundreds of people played both games and nobody could tell the difference....its total BS put out there by the pinball purists who were pissed that their originals dropped in price.

I have played AFM on location a million times. I recently acquired a AFMr SE, and IMHO it plays better than any AFM I’ve played on location.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from PtownPin:

.. there was ZERO difference....hundreds of people played both games and nobody could tell the difference.

If they do not notice the emulation delays and/or the transparent lamp inserts when they are lit on the MMr compared to the original, they are blind.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

If they do not notice the emulation delays and/or the transparent lamp inserts when they are lit on the MMr compared to the original, they are blind.

nope...their all pinball realists....my guess is you own an original (which are great), and are still upset your MM dropped so much in value...the sound, graphics, lighting, and overall game play is far superior to the originals....if there is a delay its so subtle that nobody whose honest can notice.

#74 4 years ago

We own original AFM and MM and a remake of MB

I would rank them

MM
MB
AFM

They are all great games, but MM and AFM are so similar. We prefer MM because of the trolls, better humor, the castle, and the catapult.

Our MBr is the best-looking machine of the three. We probably play it the most... but I would part with it before our MM.

#75 4 years ago

I admit it, I bought MBr just because it was so damn pretty (had only played virtual version of it prior to that). I do enjoy the game a lot though. The lights, the DMD, hell even the shaker, all adds to it.

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I found the Classic Editions to be a great value. I never thought I'd be able to afford an Attack From Mars, but I was able to pick one up at the price of a Stern (Pro).

Totally agree. Classic Editions for us who always dreamed of having an original-style one.

#77 4 years ago

I've owned them all - it's subjective like everything else when these topics come up.
It really comes down to what's important in a game to you - for me it's fun so any of these deliver that and then some.

Personally for me, AFM left and MM and MB have stayed. Do I miss AFM, sure but with limited space and the games being similar MM just feels like more evolved AFM to me, with just a tad more to shoot for. MB has a different feel overall and the remake is just phenomenal with a few minor tweaks (set your flipper strength in the negatives, adjust the left bride shot for example) The lighting and sound are incredible.

Everyone wants super deep games in the home and I get that, but for me i'd rather come back to a game that always feels fun to shoot and any of these three are a nice complement to any other deeper games you may have - they stand on their own and have for a long time.

#78 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Not just perceived, but measured & documented. Orbit entry/exit posts are misplaced, and it's not trivial to move a t-nutted hole. Maybe they fixed it at some point, but the vast majority of MMRs I played in the first couple years shot like crap. I mean, I'm breaking an NDA just posting this.

Those who haven't played originals for 20 years or are just happy to bat the ball around may never notice. But I've been playing MM since literally fresh out of the box in 1997. Loved the idea of finally being able to afford one, bought a remake, was disappointed with mine and every other one I played.

But if you guys enjoy them, have fun. I'm just glad they drove original prices down. Sold my MMRLE and bought a beater original for $1k less.

#79 4 years ago

I would of voted MM, cause I thought the castle was cool,
until I got an AFM and realized the brilliance of this game

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Not just perceived, but measured & documented. Orbit entry/exit posts are misplaced, and it's not trivial to move a t-nutted hole. Maybe they fixed it at some point, but the vast majority of MMRs I played in the first couple years shot like crap. I mean, I'm breaking an NDA just posting this.
Those who haven't played originals for 20 years or are just happy to bat the ball around may never notice. But I've been playing MM since literally fresh out of the box in 1997. Loved the idea of finally being able to afford one, bought a remake, was disappointed with mine and every other one I played.
But if you guys enjoy them, have fun. I'm just glad they drove original prices down. Sold my MMRLE and bought a beater original for $1k less.

I did buy a MMr LE when they first came out and my plan was to sell my original but the original just played better. I never measured the geometry of the MMr but I knew something just was not correct. The MMr had a very slight flipper delay that the original did not have. I also did not like the transparent insert text and when the inserts were lit they are very hard to read. My original game had inserts you actually can read. The MMr had cabinet decals that were folded over on the edges and my original did not. Also the MMr translite looked to be washed out. So I sold the MMr.

#81 4 years ago

I currently have AFMR and MBR both LE’s. I also have MMRRE on order. Right now I would give the nod to AFM but damn MB is pretty. I’m still enjoying it too so it’s not like I just stare at it and never play. Things could change once I get MMR of course. To be honest I would of bought MMR first but wanted to get the LE’s.

#82 4 years ago

i would go mb over afm. both are cool. i like the theme of mb, so i got it. the se is a good jump up over the classic. playing with the software and going to 1 color on it as in the classic is drop off on the screen. the color screen adds a lot.

#83 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

I am mesmerized by the beauty known as MBr. Of the three games, it is the worst and my least fav to play. Maybe it will follow me home and I can keep it as a trophy pinball.

MBr is definitely the most bewdiful of the three remakes.

#84 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

There were definitely things that needed upgrading on the first batch of MMR’s. The slings were chewing up the playfield, the insert lettering was faint, and probably other things that they figured out and fixed in later runs. I couldn’t tell you the geometry of my MMr versus an original (and whether or not they fixed it, but I’ll bet they did, because why not?). All I know is that mine has a Nov. 2017 build date, and it looks and plays flawlessly, IMO.

#85 4 years ago
Quoted from Thunderbird:

Munsters is the best of all those shown there in that photo

Quoted from Thunderbird:

It does need some more modes, but think Stern will do that sometime in the future

Because Dwight does that? Nope. Dwight tweaks, he doesn’t change.

#86 4 years ago

The only downside I can think of in regard to the remakes, is the playfield. My AFMr has about 400 plays on it now and the playfield looks like a golf ball. The playfield on the World Cup Soccer I have next to it (from 1994) looks brand new in comparison.

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

Dwight tweaks, he doesn’t change.

Tomayto or tomahto, Dwight tweaked/changed both GOT and GB a lot.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

I am kinda going through the same thing the OP is. I have AFMre and recently really enjoyed my friend’s MB and have a MM, which I also enjoy, in my house now on a temp trade now. Would definitely consider getting a MB or MM to add to my AFM!

On the trade MMre in my gameroom from my friend I am noticing, as mentioned above, the orbits do seem a little off. I thought it was leveling I need to change to dial it in more, but maybe it is just the way it plays? I will see if I can adjust. Too bad about the MMre upcharge compared to MB and AFM but for those who have been around a while the original MM pins had a higher price tag and in more demand compared to the others and helped jumpstart CGC remakes being the first game, so that helps justify the upcharge a bit.

My AFMre flows and plays great. Love the shots, gameplay, humor and callouts. Would be last to go with IMDN.

MB is just stunning to look at. It really is. It may be the best looking trophy game of the three and I really enjoyed playing it, but I have heard from a few folks that it is #3 of the three. BUT! - folks say MM and AFM, which I own already, shoot and play similar and MB is the different one of the bunch compared with AFM and MM. So having a MM/AFM combo may not be as ideal compared with a AFM/MB combo??

I have decision problems. Kinda good to have too many choices rather than too few

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

I am kinda going through the same thing the OP is. I have AFMre and recently really enjoyed my friend’s MB and have a MM, which I also enjoy, in my house now on a temp trade now. Would definitely consider getting a MB or MM to add to my AFM!
On the trade MMre in my gameroom from my friend I am noticing, as mentioned above, the orbits do seem a little off. I thought it was leveling I need to change to dial it in more, but maybe it is just the way it plays? I will see if I can adjust. Too bad about the MMre upcharge compared to MB and AFM but for those who have been around a while the original MM pins had a higher price tag and in more demand compared to the others and helped jumpstart CGC remakes being the first game, so that helps justify the upcharge a bit.
My AFMre flows and plays great. Love the shots, gameplay, humor and callouts. Would be last to go with IMDN.
MB is just stunning to look at. It really is. It may be the best looking trophy game of the three and I really enjoyed playing it, but I have heard from a few folks that it is #3 of the three. BUT! - folks say MM and AFM, which I own already, shoot and play similar and MB is the different one of the bunch compared with AFM and MM. So having a MM/AFM combo may not be as ideal compared with a AFM/MB combo??
I have decision problems. Kinda good to have too many choices rather than too few

Depends on how much you like it. I do agree that MM/MB or AFM/MB would be a bit more diverse than MM/AFM....but would be happy with any of those combinations IMO.

#90 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Depends on how much you like it. I do agree that MM/MB or AFM/MB would be a bit more diverse than MM/AFM....but would be happy with any of those combinations IMO.

Indeed! I just played MM again and totally agree that I could have both AFM and MM and be happy.

Hmm That sounds obnoxious if I take a step back and think about what I just typed doesn’t it? But I realize that I am a fortunate guy.

So many amazing games out there to play and own! We are all fortunate in that way.

#91 4 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

First of all, this is like being asked whether you'd go on a date with Ms. Universe, Ms. World, or Ms. America... they are all great... but... AFMr.

I have a threesome every day!

68621881_2351120928335991_9035867311038267392_n (resized).jpg68621881_2351120928335991_9035867311038267392_n (resized).jpg

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

[quoted image]

Jelly

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

[quoted image]

Congratulatuons! Great threesome.

2 weeks later
#94 4 years ago

I finally got to play a AFM remake last night and i tell ya it was beautiful and pure pinball goodness. I think that ii want to play a MBR one more time and make a decision between the two. I definitely like the MB theme the most so im really torn right now because AFM gets such high praise.....as it should, and MB is most peoples third pick of the big three. I definitely had a blast playing AFMR last night though, its so good!

#95 4 years ago

I added MM to my AFM since this thread started. All three are incredible pinballs really. A pleasure to play and an honor to own.
56E668EF-A4CB-425D-B642-23BE013E70A0 (resized).jpeg56E668EF-A4CB-425D-B642-23BE013E70A0 (resized).jpeg

#96 4 years ago

I added MM to my AFM since this thread started. All three are incredible pinballs really. A pleasure to play and an honor to own.
[quoted image]

Congrats! Anybody who wouldn't like those two games just don't like pinball at all. Thats about as good as pinball gets right there now!

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Congrats! Anybody who wouldn't like those two games just don't like pinball at all. Thats about as good as pinball gets right there now!

What models are you looking at of AFM and MB? Cl, SE, or LE’s?

#98 4 years ago

What models are you looking at of AFM and MB? Cl, SE, or LE’s?

The SE models. I just went and played a MBRLE for a couple of hours and it was really a sweet game and I definitely didn't find it to be too easy by any means. All three are just amazing games and its a really tough choice.

#99 4 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The SE models. I just went and played a MBRLE for a couple of hours and it was really a sweet game and I definitely didn't find it to be too easy by any means. All three are just amazing games and its a really tough choice.

The way CGC not only colored the original dots but went above and beyond totally redoing the dots enhancing each screen shot is great! The larger screen highlights the details even more.

That being said why not go for an LE? The toppers are great and really compete the package. Add in the other upgrades also. AFM LE is likely sold out but MB is around. And MB LE is stunning. It is just beautiful to look at.

#100 4 years ago

The way CGC not only colored the original dots but went above and beyond totally redoing the dots enhancing each screen shot is great! The larger screen highlights the details even more.
That being said why not go for an LE? The toppers are great and really compete the package. Add in the other upgrades also. AFM LE is likely sold out but MB is around. And MB LE is stunning. It is just beautiful to look at.

Just not sure if I want to spend that much. That's a lot of dough for a game but especially an old game. I did think about it though. The LE toppers are amazing.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
12,125 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Paul, MN
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Palm Beach, FL
$ 45.00
$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 33.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Shepherdsville, KY
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

£ 55.00
Cabinet - Decals
Sillyoldelf Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 64.99
$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

There are 131 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/afmr-vs-mmr-vs-mbr-poll-added/page/2?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.